The Conquests

Been a while since I've said anything here... I really need to get around to this more often.

Recently got back to fixing the images in Part 4 and 5. I'm about halfway through Part 4 now.

I haven't been changing content any while I've been going through this, but I have been fixing the minor errors in spelling and just wrong word choice that sometimes had minor tiny impacts in readability. Apparently I can't spell "Pyrenees" "Separate" "Occurred" or "Surprise," among other common mistakes.

Didn't bother changing any of the weirdly-worded sentences though, I know I'm not really much better at writing sentences to describe what happens in Civ games than I was 4 years ago, and I can hardly remember individual events in these games that long ago anyway.

Whenever I finally get around to fixing the images beyond the first few chapters of my other story, maybe I'll just leave the minor spelling errors intact- it kind of had a charm to it and reminds me to cringe horribly at about half the things 13-year-old me wrote, and hey, it's one of the most popular stories in this board anyway, the minor errors can't be that bad, can they?

...And... Done with the images in Part 4! Just Part 5 left to do and then I'll have all of the images fixed!

And... Mesoamerica is done, I've finally finished re-uploading all of the pictures in the first 5 parts. Go and read them, if there were pictures missing the first time you read them!

At some point, I'll get around to doing the same to my other story, but I really think I should get back to finishing this one first- I'm going on 3 years spent on this one scenario, if you count the 6-month hiatus between Age of Discovery and Sengoku as part of that time. In any case, I've spent more time on Sengoku than on the previous 6 Conquests... combined. And to think that earlier I was worried I was taking too long when there was a month between updates! :crazyeye: Ah, those were the days...

Hi, everyone! A few things to say. First, continuing on from my image-fixing in Terrain-Unwise Romans, I've done some more image-fixing here. I'd already mostly fixed things, but Chapter 14 still had a bunch of broken ImageShack images- looking at the last page, I'd left them there because they were originally working, but then they weren't, now they're on Imgur so they're working again. I also took the opportunity to add the chapter titles back that left with the Xenforo move, and fix a few spelling and grammar mistakes here and there (apparently I can't spell "peninsula", "Mediterranean," "military," "occurred", "millennium", "anymore", "technology", "separate", "Castile", and a bunch of other words)

But second, something you're probably much more interested in hearing: The hiatus will end, and I'm finally going to update this story, later this week! Our long, international nightmare will soon be over.

I'll finish off by going back into narration mode, to give both a recap of what's happened so far in Japan for anyone who's fallen out of the loop, and give a taste of what lies ahead.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miyoshi Nagayoshi woke up one morning in 1529 feeling like he'd been resting for a really long time. "Ugh, I feel like I've been asleep for about 5 years," he said to Hiyoshi as he stumbled into the War Council Room.

"Uh... you have been asleep for about 5 years."

"WHAT?"

"Yeah, it's actually 1534 now, we were all really worried about you."

"You're kidding me, right? This is some kind of April Fool's Day Joke? Wait, is it April Fool's day? Is it January? March? May? What month is it?"

"Just hang on, sir, we'll get you all caught up. So, it all started in January 1450, when we settled down in Kyoto and began planning to end this long, divisive era and unite Japan under our banner..."

With that done, there was nothing left for the Miyoshi to do but wait for things to happen, and hope that Daimyo Miyoshi's goals could eventually be realized.

"We explored our area, encountering many tribes of Ainu along the way, some who had things to teach us, some who just wanted to fight. You did quite a lot of this exploring yourself, and accomplished many awesome feats in your battles against the Ainu! We also met our neighbors, the Dark-Green clad Matsunaga, the Orange-Yellow Oda, the Purple Murakami, the Light-Green Mori, the Red Saito, and a bunch of other clans occupying Japan, including us there was 18."

"Of course there was also some conflicts along the way, we fought a brief war against the Oda because they left some workers totally undefended and we figured they'd need some 'protection' that we were willing to provide."

In July, the Western Ashigaru unit kept going West and saw more Ainu camps defended by Ashigaru in the Mountains, and one village, and the Eastern Ashigaru unit went up onto a hill that gave them a nice view of the area around the Oda capital of Nagoya... and made the worker they had look very, very vulnerable to capture from, say, a surprise attack by light blue wearing Sword Wielders led by the most awesome Daimyo ever. Not that they'd ever do anything like that, would they?

"As we explored, expanded, and traded, we quickly ran into our neighbors and out of room, which led to more conflicts- first, when the Matsunaga attacked us..."

Unfortunately, this attracted some degree of jealousy, especially from the Matsunaga, who quickly came to the realization that despite the technological gap between them and the Miyoshi, it mostly wasn't in military technologies.

So the Matsunaga declared war.

"...And we fought them to a standstill around Nara, not really prepared for the war but able to hold off the invasion nonetheless."

In other bad news, the Matsunaga finally started showing up in more than one or two units of Stone Crossbowmen at once. At the end of 1484, they had an incredible... 3 units of Stone Crossbowmen in the area outside of Nara.

But 3 was more than the Miyoshi could handle, so they wanted to see if they could get another way out. And, as luck would have it, they could: The Matsunaga were finally willing to end the war. It seemed that fighting for a bit more than four years and getting nowhere was tiring them out, and they'd be happy to sign a peace treaty for a bit of gold. Given their huge technological and economical leads and source of Iron which the Matsunaga didn't have, the Miyoshi were somewhat reluctant to give up anything, but they recognized that they weren't in a position to fight the Matsunaga right now, even if they would be in a few years once they'd had time to build the stronger military that their technologies and Iron would give them. A few years was not time they had.

And they weren't even mad about the deal they got from the Matsunaga: Apparently the Matsunaga very badly wanted the Miyoshi's World Map and were willing to pay to get it. And thus, the 1485 Treaty of Nara was signed, ending the hostilities in the Matsunaga-Miyoshi War, as some knew it, or as the "War of Southern Aggression" as some of the Miyoshi liked to call it, when they weren't coming up with more... offensive ways to describe the Matsunaga.

With the war over, the Miyoshi got back to being at peace, which was slightly more boring but with a smaller chance of death. And if nothing else, they were glad to have a few years to build up and prepare for the next time they would inevitably end up at war with somebody.

"Years later, we got our revenge by invading them...."

Miyoshi Nagayoshi conferred with his advisors and they were all in agreement: Fighting the Matsunaga would be a great idea. They could get Revenge for the Matsunaga's attack on them 30 years ago, acquire several resources they desired, eliminate an opponent, and only have to worry about enemies on two borders instead of three.

So it was decided. A few days later, the Matsunaga government- or rather, the lack of the Matsunaga government- were sent a message telling them to prepare themselves.

"...And did much better this time, quickly inflicting large losses and taking their land. Of course, we continued our explorations and technological discoveries in the meantime, and ended up eventually meeting all 17 of the other clans on the islands of Honshu, Kyushu, and Shikoku, and got decent maps of all the islands..."

The Hojo World Map was rather impressive- it seemed they had taken as much interest in geography as the Miyoshi. The Hojo World Map contained not just a full map of the North, including themselves, the Takeda, the Uesugi, the Mogami, and the purple-bordered clan that the Hojo had spoken of...

...But it also contained an almost-full map of the island of Kyushu, as well as a couple of tiny islands just off of Kyushu's coast that had small villages under the control of the Ryuzoji and... the Matsunaga???

"How the hell did the Matsunaga even get people on that island?" the Miyoshi asked.

"Your guess is as good as ours."

"And we got great success in our war against the Matsunaga. I, Hiyoshi, demonstrated my leadership skill at the Second Battle of Wakayama, and that's why I now lead an army of Bushi..."

Also in April, the Miyoshi were finally ready to attack Wakayama. 4 units of Bushi and the Yamabushi waited outside the city for the order to charge.

"Wait for it... NOW!"

The Second Battle of Wakayama can only be described as a massacre. The city was well-defended by 3 units of Ashigaru and 2 of Crossbowmen, and its position on a hill had served it well in the First Battle. All of that defense had about as much effect on the attacking Miyoshi as a pebble would have on an avalanche. The Bushi stormed into the city, barely affected at all by any of the Crossbow bolts or swords that tried to hurt them. The first, then the second, then the third unit of Ashigaru all fell the horde of Bushi, then some more Bushi killed one of the two units of Crossbowmen.

Finally, the Yamabushi came in to finish the job. They swiftly and effortlessly eliminated the remaining crossbowmen defending the city, and that was it for a city that had been a thorn in the Miyoshi's side for months. Better yet: 4 groups of Workers were in the city, and now they were also theirs.

The leader of the Yamabushi, Hiyoshi, who had commanded the entire battle, was praised for his expert leadership that no doubt was a major factor in making the Second Battle of Wakayama turn out a lot better than the first, and given a big promotion. He would soon lead a massive Army of Bushi.

"And not long after, I led the army to Osaka, killed the Matsunaga Daimyo, and finished our conquest of their land."

Matsunaga Hisahida knew that he was in danger, but he understandably insisted on remaining in Osaka- better here, surrounded by many Ashigaru and Crossbowmen, then out in the open.

Unlike with the previous cities they'd attacked, they expected Osaka to be very well defended, and prepared accordingly- with plenty of Crossbowmen and Bushi, including Hiroshi's new Army, and they even brought along some Catapults, which bombarded the city to start off the Battle of Osaka, weakening the city's defenses so the rest of the military could have an easier time.

Hiyoshi went in first, with his army of Bushi, knowing that it was by far the strongest of the attackers, and wanting to test out his new army's battle prowess. The Army performed about as well as could have been hoped, taking down 2 of Osaka's Ashigaru units with ease. 2 Down, a bunch more to go.

The Bushi outside of Hiyoshi's army were quick to follow. Osaka's defenders were numerous and tenacious, but they could only delay the inevitable. The Bushi killed a third and then a fourth unit of Ashigaru, and yet still another appeared to fight them off. Finally, the third Bushi attack killed Osaka's fifth Ashigaru unit, and the only Ashigaru that remained in the city had been injured by the catapults earlier.

So the city's two units of Crossbowmen went out to try to keep the invaders out, but they too could do little. A combination of Bushi and Crossbowmen destroyed them both.

Only one unit of Ashigaru remained standing between the Miyoshi and Matsunaga Hisahida. Injured from the earlier Catapult bombardment, they could do little but cower helplessly as their lives were ended by Miyoshi Crossbowmen.

Finally, with nothing else standing in their way, another unit of Miyoshi Crossbowmen entered Osaka's Palace, and fired their weapons at Hisahida. He tried to fight back, but there was only so much one man could do against a hail of crossbow bolts. He soon died, and with him, the Matsunaga.

The Miyoshi watched the smoking ruins of Osaka, and smiled as they heard reports that the other two remaining isolated Matsunaga cities appear to have spontaneously disappeared.

They were even more pleased by a report that the Miyoshi had the strongest military in Japan, by a large margin.

1 down, 16 to go. Who would be next?

Miyoshi tried to interject at this point, "Hiyoshi, this all happened decades ago, I already know-" but Hiyoshi continued his story:

"The next few years were very prosperous. We finished work on a great wonder in Kyoto that provided great benefits to us, and launched us into a Golden Age."

And, even better: in March, 1513, they finally finished work on the wonder they'd been building for a long time in Kyoto: Sun Tzu's Art of War, giving them a huge number of benefits, the big ones being Barracks in all their cities and improved that studying the Art might give them more leaders of Hiyoshi's caliber...

...and also one they hadn't expected when they started it: that knowing all about war would spur their entire clan to improve at, well, everything, at least for a little while...

"Of course, we weren't the only ones with the idea to conquer our neighbors. Our powerful rivals, the Pink-clad Ryuzoji, on Kyushu, overran their neighbors, the Dark-Red-clad Otomo, and wiped them out just as we'd done to the Matsunaga. (They also fought a brief war against the Brown-wearing Ichijo of Shikoku when the Ichijo tried to settle on Kyushu in the Otomo's former territory, but the Ryuzoji were having none of that and burned their new city)"

A few months later, the Miyoshi gained confirmation of something they'd only suspected for the past several years: The Ryuzoji and Otomo were at war. They knew this because the Ryuzoji gained control of the Otomo city of Nobeoka- and given its location, they couldn't have possibly gotten it without military force.

The Miyoshi wondered how much long the Otomo could last. Probably not long.

In fact, the Otomo wouldn't even last to the end of the year.

In June, the Ryuzoji military overwhelmed the defenses of the Otomo capital, Beppu, and killed Daimyo Otomo Yoshishige. Beppu was burned to the ground, taking its Oracle with it. The few other remaining Otomo cities disappeared shortly thereafter.

"With the partial aim of giving the clans a place to discuss and perhaps diplomatically end the conflict (but mostly just so we could keep anyone else from doing it), we built a War Council in Kyoto, although there is clearly too much disagreement for anyone to be elected the head of the War Council."

Speaking of War, March of 1520 saw years of work by the Miyoshi come to a satisfying end, as the War Council was finally finished in Kyoto.

Its first meeting couldn't really get anything done- the remaining 16 clans weren't particularly inclined to agree on much of anything, certainly not on who could lead them all as Daimyo, end the last century of Civil War and reunite Japan. No elections were held at the time, as it was agreed by all- and particularly by the Miyoshi leading the council- that holding them would be pointless.

The Council ended with everyone heading back home, mostly still mad at each other- and a few seemed kind of irritated that the Miyoshi had built the Council and not them.

"Not long after, we realized that we were lacking in Jade, a resource needed to pay Ronin and Ninja to go assassinate our enemies, and we weren't happy about this, so we decided to go fight our neighbors the Urakami to claim their Jade. Also, we felt that they had it coming, thanks to a long-standing border dispute between their city of Kakogawa and our city of Tottori that led them to claim some Horses and Spices we felt were rightfully ours."

"Well, that was good... now, about those Ronin?"

"We were trying to tell you, they only accept payment in Jade- and we don't have any!"

Miyoshi Nagayoshi frowned. "That does seem to be a problem... where can we get some?"

"Looking around, the nearest sources are in the territory of the Saito, the Chosokabe, and the Urakami, and there's an unclaimed one on an island to the far west.

"I see... the Urakami one is a bit far, on their western border with the Mori, but we'd have to build boats to get the Chosokabe's Jade and we'd have to go through the Oda to get to the Saito's Jade. As to the unclaimed one, that's pretty far, and it doesn't seem likely we'd get it."

"Good points."

"Plus, we've been annoyed at the Urakami ever since Kakogawa grabbed those Horses and Spices just a few months before we would, right? They've had it coming, we should totally invade them."

Just for the heck of it, they decided to see if the Urakami would give up the city they wanted without them needing to fight for it. Predictably, they declined:

"Alright, then," said the Miyoshi, "We'll have to take Fukuchiyama, and its Jade, and the rest of your cities... by force."

"We were initially able to make strong gains into Urakami territory, capturing their border cities of Kakogawa and Ako, despite the strong walls that defended all of their cities thanks to the Great Wall of Kobe. However, we soon faced strong setbacks: The Yellow-clad Hojo Clan to the Northeast brought an army to our borders."

More worryingly, though, the Hojo reappeared on the Northern part of the Oda-Miyoshi border- and not just the Ashigaru, they had a large force of Samurai Archers with them now.

Miyoshi Nagayoshi and his advisors met to discuss this. "Just what are they up to?" asked Miyoshi.

"I don't know... but I don't like it."

They clearly intended to fight somebody. The Miyoshi could only hope it wasn't them.

"Initially, we hoped they weren't coming for us, but they attacked Kakogawa shortly after. They were repelled, but dangerous, so we decided to bring in some allies to fight them- the Hojo's neighbors, the Pale-Green Uesugi and Light-Blue Imagawa, and the Oda."

The advisor was in a hurry to deliver the news. Most of the things he told to Miyoshi Nagayoshi were important, but this... this was a lot more important than usual.

"Sir, I bring news about the Hojo!"

"Yes? Were they attacking us, or continuing westward?"

"They abruptly turned North, and started firing Arrows into Kakogawa! They intend to destroy us!"

"So that was their target..."

Luckily, Kakogawa was well-prepared, with many Samurai Warriors defending it. In the ensuing Battle of Kakogawa, the Hojo lost their unit of Stone Crossbowmen and 2 of their units of Samurai Archers to Kakogawa's Warriors, who took no casualties of their own, and the Hojo lost another unit of Archers when they tried to attack the Samurai Warriors who had recently killed the Urakami Yamabushi at the Horses. The remaining 2 Samurai Archers that had come with this now-devastated army decided attacking wouldn't be such a great idea, so they just destroyed some roads and killed some Miyoshi Workers that had been cutting down the jungles in the area.

The Miyoshi were glad that the Hojo had mostly been dealt with and didn't pose much of an immediate threat, but they also knew that there were probably more where those Archers came from, and fighting a two-front war was really not what they needed right now.

With two out of three of the Hojo's immediate neighbors now open to negotiation, the Miyoshi talked to all of them about getting in on an alliance. As it turned out, the Oda, Uesugi, and Imagawa were all more than willing to join the Miyoshi against the Hojo in return for some technology that they lacked- the Uesugi even threw in their recently-researched technology of Ninjutsu (And the Imagawa and Oda would have given gold, but it was decided they needed it to fight the Hojo)

"The Hojo countered with their own alliances, bringing in the Teal-clad Tokugawa to fight the Uesugi and the Greenish-Blue-clad Shimazu of Kyushu to fight us, not that that mattered much. The worse thing was when Ako revolted against us, so we had to burn it to the ground, and then we ended up just kinda stalling out in our war against the Urakami and decided to make peace, and we also ended our phony war with the Shimazu around the same time."

February proved to be just as busy diplomatically as November of the previous year, although this time, it was in ways less good for the Miyoshi- aside from the start of the month, when the Shimazu approached them with an offer of peace, which the Miyoshi accepted, considering the pointlessness in fighting them. They even got the Shimazu to throw in a little bit of tribute.

The point was, it was clearly time to end the fighting against the Urakami- for now, at least.

It had to help the case for peace that the Urakami had suffered a lot more than the Miyoshi in the war and were willing to give up a lot to them to end it- a lot of gold, a map, and and they even threw in the city they'd just built. The Miyoshi found this offer to be perfectly acceptable.

"Hiyoshi, I already know all these thin-"

"Wait, I'm not finished! As I was saying, we ended those wars, but a ton more started, because the Hojo kept bringing in allies- their Green-clad neighbors the Takeda joined them in fighting the Imagawa and they started to make advances, as did the Orange-clad Chosokabe of Shikoku, the Hojo got the Pink-clad Date of the far North to fight all their enemies except us, and then, right as we thought we might be free of fighting the Hojo, they brought in our neighbors, the Mori and the Oda, to fight us (this was actually before we signed a peace treaty with the Urakami and contributed to us ending that war to avoid fighting both our immediate neighbors)"

Then came the bad news: The Hojo finally convinced a meaningful clan to join the fight against the Miyoshi: The Mori, their not-quite-neighbors to the west.

"Oh come on, I thought we were in peace talks! Our alliances end in July! You couldn't wait that long, Hojo?"

Then came the worse news: The Mori brought another ally with them: The Miyoshi's eastern neighbors, the Oda.

"You too, Oda Nobunaga?"

"Yeah, it's payback for that time you attacked us 70 years ago."

"That was a long time ago! I thought we were friends! We were fighting the Hojo together!"

"Like we were ever anything more than allies of convenience. Thanks for the Horses, though. We'll make sure to put them to good use fighting you."

Miyoshi Nagayoshi swore to get the Oda for this betrayal. Somehow, they would pay for this.

"Hiyoshi..."

"Of course, not long after this we just decided to pull out of the war with the Hojo, our alliances were over and one of our former allies had backstabbed us, so we said screw them..."

Finally, in July, the Miyoshi-Uesugi-Imagawa alliance against the Hojo ran out (the Oda no longer counted as part of the alliance, what with their betrayal and all), and the Miyoshi happily left their former allies to deal with the Hojo themselves, because they didn't want to have to deal with the Hojo's great eagerness to sign military alliances any more.

The Hojo, for what it's worth, seemed happy to end the war too, even though they'd just signed such an alliance with the Mori against the Miyoshi a few months ago- they also seemed to take an opinion of "screw them, they're on their own" with their allies, and unlike the Miyoshi, they didn't even care if their alliances were actually over or not yet.

"But of course, not being at war with everyone couldn't last long, and the Ryuzoji showed up with a Caravel full of troops near Himeji to invade us, and they did, but not before we somehow convinced them to declare war on the Mori."

Just as soon as they'd said the Mori and Oda weren't doing anything, though, the first sign of the Mori appeared, in the form of a unit of Yamabushi- and, more troubling, a Ryuzoji Caravel appeared, and brought 2 units of Samurai Warriors, 2 units of Samurai Archers, and a Yamabushi unit to a hill outside of Himeji.

The Takeda also decided that having half of the island of Shikoku fighting the Imagawa wasn't enough, so they got the Ichijo to declare war on the Imagawa to make it all of the island of Shikoku they were fighting. The Imagawa briefly pretended that that concerned them more than fighting the Hojo and Takeda concerned them.

"So, what do we do about the Ryuzoji?"

The Miyoshi government met in October to discuss this invasion, and quickly came to the decision that it had no idea what to do- the Ryuzoji certainly weren't there to plant flowers or engage in "routine training missions" or anything of that sort, so they'd have to be dealt with somehow- but perhaps they could be turned away somehow?

"Unlikely. They're going to attack us, and there's no getting around that."

They knew this was the likely outcome, and so they made sure to give Himeji enough Samurai Warriors to fend off any attack. But still, having to deal with them, the Mori, and the Oda all at the same time would be a problem, and relocating their Warriors there meant that they couldn't be fighting the Ainu on the Saltpeter Island.

Then, a plan came.

"I have a crazy idea- we can still talk to them right now, what if we convinced them to declare war on the Mori for a large deferred gold payment? Either they backstab us and we get our enemies to fight each other for practically nothing, or they don't backstab us, in which case we don't have to deal with them and they're still fighting the Mori."

"That's so crazy... it just might work."

The Ryuzoji seemed to be very much on board with the Miyoshi's crazy plan- or at least, they were more than willing to take a huge amount of gold to declare war on the Mori.

The Ryuzoji proceeded to throw this very large gold payment away a month later by attacking Himeji.

The Miyoshi responded with pretending to be shocked by something they were totally expecting. Miyoshi Nagayoshi, upon hearing the news of the attack, said something along the lines of "Curse your sudden yet inevitable betrayal!"

"Hiyoshi..."

"Things kind of turned into a diplomatic mess from there. Right now, there's lots of wars going on. Also, we recently discovered Gunpowder, but found we had no Saltpeter, so we've been busy wiping out some Ainu on this tiny island near us so that we can grab the Saltpeter that's on that island."

Finally, towards the end of 1527, came the moment the Miyoshi had long been waiting for: From some research coming from their earlier encounters with the Portuguese, they developed a powerful new explosive weapon: Gunpowder.

Their elation at this new invention was soon replaced by despair that they couldn't use it: A key ingredient, Saltpeter, existed nowhere within their territory. There was some in the western part of Urakami territory and in that region of the Chosokabe's territory that had every other strategic resource, for some reason- and even better, there was some much more accessible Saltpeter on a small island just off the coast between the Miyoshi, Urakami, and Chosokabe that was unclaimed by anyone...

...except for a massive horde of Ainu, that is. Well, no problem, just kill the Ainu and settle the island! It couldn't be that difficult, could it?

With the number of clans the Miyoshi were at war with down to 2 and neither of those 2 appearing to do much of anything at the moment, they doubled down on grabbing that Saltpeter Island, sending enough Samurai Warriors and Archers at it to kill 5 more Ronin.

Another new year came around, and in January, 1529, the Miyoshi had quite a full plate to deal with: Three wars with close neighbors, some of whom posed a real threat, and still no time to get the Saltpeter they needed.

"HIYOSHI! STOP WASTING MY TIME TELLING ME THINGS THAT HAPPENED LONG IN THE PAST THAT I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT!"

"I... thought you..."

"Yes, but I want to know what happened after January 1529, that's the last thing I really remember, you're just recapping things that happened like this is some clip show of things you think I don't know already, why are you doing this?"

"Well..."

"And... wait... you said we're still fighting to take that Gunpowder Island... but you said it's 1534, and it would have taken way less time than that to capture the island..."

Hiyoshi at this point started stifling laughter, as well as the rest of the War Council.

"... Damn it, you've been playing me, it's still 1529, isn't it? I've been sleeping a perfectly normal amount of time."

"Early April Fool's!"

"Sigh. Well, hopefully what happens in the next few years is good. Right now we're fighting... wait, what's the war situation again?"

"Uh, it's... complicated, as you know. We're definitely fighting the Mori, Oda, and Ryuzoji right now. At our request, the Mori and Ryuzoji are also fighting, and the Urakami are fighting the Mori. And there's a big mess to our east, where thanks to the Hojo, seemingly everyone is fighting the Oda and Imagawa. Oh, and the Date and Hojo are fighting the Uesugi."

"Great. Anything else I should know about?"

Chapter 61: Alliance Explosion

Despite many incursions from their enemies towards the end of the previous year, by the end of January, 1529, the Miyoshi had managed to mostly clear their territory of their enemies' military, mostly Yamabushi. Not completely, though- there still remained some injured Ryuzoji Samurai Warriors that had survived their ill-fated attack on Himeji, and Oda Samurai Archers near Maizuru- in both cases, the Ryuzoji and Oda had occupied hilly terrain that made them difficult to remove. It was a good thing, then, that both of those groups elected to remove themselves from Miyoshi territory- in February, the Ryuzoji ran West into Urakami territory, where they would be attacked by someone the Miyoshi couldn't see (they assumed it was the Mori, just outside their visual range), and the Oda went back into their own territory, presumably to fight one of the many enemies of the Oda-Imagawa-Uesugi "alliance," if it could be called that. The trio were all mutual enemies of the Hojo and Date, and had a few other common enemies among clans that the Hojo had brought on as allies, but exactly who was at war with who at any given time was just a giant tangled web of alliances endlessly being made and broken. For instance, later on in the month, the Hojo convinced the Takeda to join them in fighting the Uesugi. the Takeda were already at war with the Imagawa, so if they later joined in against the Oda, that would bring them into the same boat as the Hojo and Date in being at war with all three of their common enemies.

Though the Ryuzoji Warriors and Oda Archers had fled, they hadn't exactly fled far, and they were now on flat ground- which meant that they were much easier targets, particularly the injured Ryuzoji Samurai Warriors, so in April, 1529, they were both attacked and easily destroyed by Miyoshi Mounted Samurai.

A bit to the northeast of the battle with the Ryuzoji, on the Miyoshi-Urakami border, the Miyoshi were busy finishing the construction of the new city of Tsu, in an area near some hills that the Urakami had never gotten around to fully utilizing and that was even more unused with Ako no longer existing. It also had the side-effect of grabbing a bit of territory from the Urakami and pushing the border a bit more towards Kobe, but what are they going to do about that? Again, it's not like they were really using the territory anyway...

Other than that, not much happened for a few months- it mostly seemed the Miyoshi's enemies were too busy fighting elsewhere (or in the case of the Ryuzoji and Mori, fighting each other) to fight them. All the Miyoshi really saw was ships sailing around from place to place, presumably with invasions heading... somewhere. The Oda did send another unit of Yamabushi to the Miyoshi-Oda border, so the Miyoshi tried attacking them again in July with Mounted Samurai- and failed miserably, though they did convince the Oda to leave and head Northeast again. Or maybe the Oda are just more worried about their many enemies to the Northeast than their one enemy to the West.

The number of clans fighting the Oda didn't change at all in August, but their allies gained some new enemies, when the Shimazu declared war on the Uesugi and the Tokugawa declared war on the Imagawa, at the urging of the Takeda and Hojo respectively.

In the case of the Shimazu fighting the Uesugi, that was probably irrelevant- the Shimazu were weak and far away on a different island, and if they were invading any member of the alliance it would be the Oda, who were closer and already at war with the Shimazu. The Tokugawa were a much more relevant threat, though, seeing as how they bordered the already-ailing Imagawa to the South (and by one city, to the North), and the Imagawa were already at war with most of their other neighbors. They were struggling enough to survive against just the Hojo, surviving against the Hojo, Takeda, and Tokugawa all at once might not be possible for them.

The Miyoshi didn't really see any more serious threats to them in October, other than a Mori Galley appearing strangely from the East at their northern shore that would later just continue going West without unloading any troops in Miyoshi territory, so they decided to get back to work on taking control of the nearby Saltpeter Island from the Ainu and Ronin that occupied the island. Miyoshi Samurai Warriors and Archers killed three more units of Ronin on the island, but many more still remain, and it will be several more months before they can claim control of the island from the Ainu and Ronin.

November started with more wars declared from military alliances. The Hojo brought the Takeda fully onto their side by convincing them to declare war on the Oda, the only one of the Hojo's enemies the Takeda weren't already at war with, and the Ryuzoji got the Uesugi to declare war on the Miyoshi. In both cases, these wars might not matter a ton- the Uesugi certainly can't get through the Takeda and Hojo to actually fight the Miyoshi, and while the Takeda and Oda could see fighting, they're both a little more preoccupied with closer enemies (although, that said, the Oda continued sending most of their military to the Northeast after this, so they're clearly more interested in fighting the Takeda and Hojo than in fighting me). Still, the Miyoshi aren't really happy to see more clans join the fight against them and aren't really happy to see clans allying with the Ryuzoji.

Since there again weren't any immediate threats to the Miyoshi in January, 1530, and they weren't quite ready to go invading their way into Oda territory, they got back to work attacking the Saltpeter Island, with the Samurai Warriors and Archers killing 3 more units of Ronin that month.

However, it turned out that despite there being no immediately apparent threats to the Miyoshi that month, that didn't mean there weren't any threats- they were attacked by the Oda in February, with a unit of the Oda's Samurai Archers killing a unit of the Miyoshi's Samurai Archers. And, a bit worse, the Ryuzoji again convinced one of the other clans to join them against the Miyoshi- and this time it was the Saito, were close enough to be a threat to the Miyoshi, even if not a big one.

The Oda-Imagawa-Uesugi alliance also made slight gains that month when the Uesugi captured the city of Hirosaki from the Date, on the border that the two clans shared.

The Mori asked for peace from the Miyoshi that month. While the Miyoshi certainly would have been okay with not fighting them, their alliance with the Urakami made them very reluctant to end that war so soon. They really wanted to end their war with the Ryuzoji, but the Ryuzoji seemed unwilling to talk and very willing to convince others to fight the Miyoshi, who would probably themselves be unwilling to talk and bring it more allies, in a never-ending cascade of wars and military alliances.

So, deciding that two could play at that game, the Miyoshi decided to bring in some more allies against the Ryuzoji in April, 1530, even if it was expensive- the Urakami demanded to be introduced to the Portuguese in order to declare war. Luckily, the Takeda were much easier to convince- they only wanted the Oda to join them in declaring war on the Imagawa, and a little bit of gold, and they were happy to fight the Ryuzoji.

With that alliance signed, the Miyoshi joined the Takeda, Hojo, and Date in being at war with all three members of the Oda-Imagawa-Uesugi alliance. Really, the alliance against them could be said to have more than just those 4- the Tokugawa, Ichijo, and Shimazu weren't at war with all three members of the alliance, but they were all at war with 2 of them (the Tokugawa were at war with everyone but the Oda, the Shimazu everyone but the Imagawa, and the Ichijo everyone but the Uesugi)

The Miyoshi finished off the month by getting revenge for their fallen Archers with a unit of Mounted Samurai killing the Oda Archers, and more importantly, they finally took control of the Saltpeter Island, with their Samurai Warriors and Archers finally killing the last Ronin on the island, then the 2 units of Ainu Ashigaru that had accompanied the Ronin. Saltpeter Island was theirs; they immediately sent a Settler to claim the island and its Saltpeter, with plans to finish construction of a city there in July, and hopefully not long after, a Harbor could be built there to get the Saltpeter off the island and onto Honshu so the Miyoshi could finally start making gunpowder weaponry.

In May, the 4-clan group of "at war with all three of the Oda, Imagawa, and Uesugi" became a 5-clan group when the Hojo convinced the Shimazu to declare war on the Imagawa.

The Miyoshi continued seeing minimal important activity from the other clans, although they were slightly worried by a unit of Saito Yamabushi that entered their territory in the North and noticed a large group of ships from the Ichijo heading to the east, presumably to invade the Oda or Imagawa.

In June, the Miyoshi scientists came to Miyoshi Nagayoshi with another discovery: some new things they could do with this new technology of Gunpowder, which they called Hojutsu.

"Excellent. So what can we do with this?" asked Miyoshi.

"Well, right now, nothing, because we haven't yet got that Saltpeter off the island, but when we do, we can make some seriously awesome new weapons! Also, we've researched so many new technologies, we can say we're now in THE FUTURE!"

"What does that even mean?"

"FUUUUUTURE!"

"Can we get anything else useful from technology or not?"

"Probably not. Still, FUUUUTURE!"

Miyoshi decided that if the scientists weren't going to give them anything useful, he was just going to cut off all their funding.

At least this Hojutsu would be useful, if they ever got the Saltpeter off that island. They did finish construction on the city of Matsuzaka there in July, 1530, but getting the actual Saltpeter off the island would have to wait for them to build a Harbor, and the Miyoshi didn't yet have enough money to quickly construct one. Hopefully it wouldn't take long to fix that problem.

The Miyoshi couldn't do much about the Saito Yamabushi that much except get in their way and try to keep them away from important parts of their territory until they got enough bombardment to deal with them, but in August, the Saito ended up just pillaging a road and mine on a hill in the north and then ran back into their own territory rather than fight. Well, at least it wasn't anything too important and could easily be fixed.

The Hojo were fairly active that month, continuing their advance into Imagawa territory by capturing the city of Odawara, and they also brought another member of the "At war with two of their enemies" club into the "at war with three of their enemies" club, using their apparently limitless resources to convince the Ichijo to declare war on the Uesugi.

In more troubling news, the building of Matsuzaka seemed to attract quite a bit of attention from the Miyoshi's enemies- the Oda sent a caravel towards the island, and the Ryuzoji sent several caravels. The Miyoshi really couldn't afford to lose this island, so they'd have to defend it a lot more heavily.

Luckily, the Miyoshi had plenty of resources to spare- they sent a Caravel full of Samurai to reinforce Matsuzaka in October, and it also sank the Oda Caravel after it got there. They couldn't really stop the Ryuzoji before they landed, but hopefully the forces they had in Matsuzaka would be enough. While they were there, they used all the money they'd saved from not funding their scientists to do nothing to rush the Harbor there, which would allow it to finish in three months instead of countless years.

And in very good news, they'd finally finished putting together a huge Army at the Military Academy in Kyoto, made of 4 units of Mounted Samurai. It might not be terribly helpful to the current problem of keeping the Ryuzoji away from Matsuzaka, but it would hopefully let them finally go on the offensive against the Oda- the Miyoshi had only really been able to defend for the past few years and wanted to start making gains.

They wouldn't really be needed anyway in Matsuzaka. When the Ryuzoji attacked the island in November, their Samurai Warriors largely failed, with two units of them getting wiped out by a single Miyoshi unit of Samurai Warriors, and the one successful attack wiped out a Miyoshi Mounted Samurai unit but nearly got the Ryuzoji Warriors killed in the process. They'd only be able to run away and try to attack again another day.

The Saito Yamabushi reappeared in the North around the same time, along with a Saito Galley. But they made a critical mistake: They ended the month on flat ground instead of in hills, and the Saito Galley came with only a single unit of old Stone Crossbowmen, hardly a big threat.

The Oda, in an even more pathetic attempt the make a threat, sent a unit of Ashigaru into Miyoshi territory. What, did the Miyoshi's Eastern foes not have any more advanced military units than that?

As always, the wars continued expanding through alliances. The Shimazu joined the Ryuzoji in their war against the Urakami, and the Chosokabe declared war on the Ryuzoji and Oda at the request of the Takeda and Hojo.

The Miyoshi were happy to have more allies against the Ryuzoji, but hoped the Chosokabe could put up an actual fight- they weren't quite as close to the Ryuzoji as the Shimazu and Ichijo were, but were certainly close enough for the Ryuzoji to threaten them.

They were much happier, though, at the start of the new year, when Matsuzaka finished work on its Harbor, finally giving them access to Saltpeter throughout their territory. Now they could give their Samurai Archers weapons called "Arquebuses," turning them into the far more powerful Samurai Arquebusiers, and upgrade their bombardment from Catapults to Cannons, or if they felt like being cheaper but weaker, Rocket Carts. They didn't really have much of anything either anyway, so they'd have to get right on building more Arquebusiers and Cannons and Rocket Carts to crush their enemies with this new Gunpowder.

In the meantime, they could take out the weak invaders in their own territory. By the end of January, 1531, The Miyoshi's new Mounted Samurai Army killed all the Saito Yamabushi and Crossbowmen, and Miyoshi Mounted Samurai killed the Oda Ashigaru.

To the surprise of the Miyoshi, the nearly-dead Ryuzoji Samurai Warriors attacked Matsuzaka again in February, perhaps expecting the Miyoshi had not fully recovered from their earlier battles. They weren't wrong, but the Ryuzoji Warriors were so much more damaged that they didn't stand a chance, and were easily finished off.

They also asked for peace. The Miyoshi might have entertained such thoughts before they started signing military alliances that they didn't want to break.

Speaking of alliances, they continued happening as always. The Ichijo convinced their neighbors the Chosokabe to join them against the Uesugi, the only member of the Oda-Imagawa-Uesugi alliance that the Chosokabe weren't already at war with. This meant the clans at war with all three now numbered seven, as far as the Miyoshi could tell: The Miyoshi, Hojo, Takeda, Date, Ichijo, Chosokabe, and Shimazu were all at war with all three of them. Some of them were also involved in the very complicated, three-sided war to the Southwest, which seemed to consist of the Miyoshi, Urakami, Chosokabe, and Takeda on one side, the Ryuzoji and Shimazu on another side, and the Mori fighting both sides. And the Saito and Tokugawa were also involved a bit in some of these wars. Miyoshi thinks, at least. The Miyoshi's diplomatic information isn't perfect without embassies everywhere and with some of their foes maybe or maybe not at war with each other. It's all very confusing.

Whatever. They were fairly certain that the Mogami were the only remaining clan not at war with anybody- or at least they were, until that month, when in rapid succession, they joined both sides of the Oda-Imagawa-Uesugi War, first declaring war on the Imagawa at the request of the Hojo, then declaring war on the Miyoshi at the request of the Uesugi.

"So does this mean they're still technically neutral or not? They went from not fighting at all to fighting for both sides."

The Miyoshi didn't really care enough to ponder that question long- the Mogami were certainly capable of hurting them, but a bit too far away to be a threat. They were more concerned about their immediate neighbors. But the Oda and Saito really didn't seem to be doing much to them anymore- so the Miyoshi decided to start bringing the fight to them in April. At the border near the city of Ichinomiya, in the hills at the far West of Oda territory, the Miyoshi massed a large military force, ready to attack and take the city for the Miyoshi.

Three units of Mounted Samurai occupied the Mountains to the east, with the Mounted Samurai Army and 4 more units of Mounted Samurai outside the army to the west, along with long-range Fire Cannons for artillery support. The city's defenses would be no match for their invasion force, and the presence of Saito Samurai Warriors in the area was of minimal concern. The following month would reveal the Saito and Oda didn't even have an agreement to go through each other's territory, so the Samurai Warriors couldn't make use of the roads and would have to travel slowly if they wanted to get anywhere.

Much more troubling: In May, the parade of military alliances continued- and this time it meant that two more clans declared war on the Miyoshi, when the Mogami got the Date to declare war on the Miyoshi and the Ryuzoji got the Ichijo to do the same.

"What are you doing?" asked the Miyoshi, "Aren't we all in this together to fight the Oda, Imagawa, and Uesugi?"

"Eh, not really, it's kind of a free-for-all. We sorta like the Hojo cause they're paying us, but you, not really."

The Miyoshi grumbled, but were glad that at least the Date probably couldn't get through the Uesugi to fight them, and the Ichijo were on another island, but still close enough to be somewhat of a threat. And being at war with more clans couldn't be a good thing.

What would be good would be capturing Ichinomiya. The Fire Cannons bombarded the city from afar in July, and then the Mounted Samurai Army attacked, killing two of the three Yamabushi units in the city. The last one proved much more resilient, killing two units of Miyoshi Mounted Samurai that attacked it, but couldn't stand up to a third, and the Miyoshi took the city.

With the Oda dealt with, the Miyoshi turned their attention to all the Saito units in the area. After all, taking Ichinomiya wouldn't matter much if they couldn't also keep it away from the Saito. They started by sending Mounted Samurai to kill the Stone Crossbowmen in the Gem mountains, successfully destroying them all and ensuring the Miyoshi's new Gems would be safe. They had a bit more trouble with the Samurai Warriors to the Southwest of the city- the Miyoshi's new Arquebusiers proved very successful at first, spitting tons of hot fire and metal at the Saito to kill one of the two units, but the remaining unit was much harder to get rid of- the first attacking Mounted Samurai retreated to avoid destruction, the second unit nearly killed the Saito Warriors but died before they could, and the third attacking Mounted Samurai unit again was killed by the Saito, despite the fact that the Saito Samurai Warriors had been nearly completely killed by the first two attacks.

That didn't really completely finish off the Saito, though, or the Oda, for that matter- in August, 1531, they were both on the offensive again, with the Saito sending some more of their remaining military towards Ichinomiya and the Oda attacking some Miyoshi Samurai Warriors with their Samurai Archers at Maizuru's Dyes, and the Oda sadly won that battle.

But they might be a bit too distracted to keep fighting the Miyoshi by what happened next: The Hojo got the Saito to declare war on the Oda.

"Haha! Yes! Our enemies are fighting each other! Just what we needed, we're totally going to kick their-"

"Um, sir, I have some additional news- the Ichijo also got the Shimazu to declare war on us."

"Sigh. Another one of our supposed "friends" declares war on us. How many of the other clans are at war with us right now?"

"By my count, 10, sir."

"Ten?"

"The Ryuzoji, Shimazu, Mori, Ichijo, Oda, Saito, Imagawa, Uesugi, Mogami, and Date."

"Dammit, why us? Why can't more of these guys declare war on the Ryuzoji? I think we're at war with more people than the Oda-Imagawa-Uesugi alliance right now, and they're at war with damn near everybody!"

"I don't know."

"Well, will any of them talk at least, just so we can start to shrink the number of clans we're fighting?"

The Miyoshi decided to ask around, and in the meantime, since they had the money to do so, Miyoshi decided to do something he'd been meaning to for a while: Upgrade himself to the 10th level of his Shogun upgrade, the highest he could possibly go, and the strongest he could possibly get to.

They realized the Uesugi would talk and were willing to sign a peace treaty in return for some gold, and the Miyoshi decided they were okay with that. Down to only 9 clans they were fighting!

They spent the rest of October trying to deal with the Saito and Oda still in their territory. The most pressing concern was stopping the Oda from pillaging their source of Dyes near Maizuru that they'd rightfully stolen from them long ago with cultural expansion. They easily got rid of the Samurai Archers there with their own Samurai Warriors, but the Oda had sent a unit of Ashigaru along with them, and the Miyoshi didn't really have any other military close to the city to deal with them. Yamabushi could run fast enough to kill the Ashigaru that month, but the only ones close enough were in Ichinomiya, and two units of Oda Samurai Archers occupied the mountain to their East, stopping them from getting there. The Miyoshi would have to deal with the Archers first. They were able to accomplish this, with the Army killing one of the Archer units and a unit of Mounted Samurai outside the Army killing the other, enabling the Yamabushi to run to the Maizuru dyes and kill the Ashigaru there before they could do any damage, but this did mean the Miyoshi were spreading their defense out a bit thinner than they wanted to, and there was still the Saito to worry about.

The Hojo continued their advance against the Imagawa in November, capturing the city of Tachikawa, leaving the Imagawa with just two cities and bringing the Hojo right to the gates of the Imagawa capital of Fuji.

The Saito continued moving around without attacking that month, although they were certainly still somewhat troubling. In news the Miyoshi were much happier about, the Saito declared war on the Takeda, presumably because either the Ryuzoji or the Uesugi asked them to.

The Oda did actually do some attacking, with their Samurai Archers killing the Miyoshi Yamabushi to threaten the Maizuru Dyes again, but they also failed to do any damage to the Miyoshi Mounted Warriors they attacked at the mountain East of Ichinomiya, and they also attacked the Saito as well as the Miyoshi: The Battle between Oda Yamabushi and Saito Stone Crossbowmen resulted in a victory for the Oda.

The Miyoshi were still largely recovering and building up in January 1532, but they were strong enough to grab the Dyes back again, with their Samurai Warriors killing those Oda Samurai Archers and Samurai Warriors and Mounted Samurai killed two units of Saito Bushi and a unit of Saito Samurai Warriors near Ichinomiya, ending the immediate threat to the city.

The Miyoshi aren't quite in a strong position to attack yet, but as they continue building up their forces, amassing gold from not spending it on anything, and stopping the pitiful attacks the Saito and Oda send their way, they'll keep pushing forward. They see a very enticing goal ahead: The Saito city of Matsumoto, home to many resources, including a source of the Jade they tried and failed to get from their war with the Urakami. Take that, and they can finally hire Ninja to fight for them. Push a bit farther, and they can take the Oda and Saito capitals, and wipe out two more of their rivals. They will not be denied this time.

That is, unless the continuing cascade of military alliances gets them at war with literally everyone, or something.

Chapter 62: Reducing Enemies

The Miyoshi had many enemies in 1532. To be exact, they were fighting wars against nine of the other clans in Japan, which was quite a bit more than they wanted to be fighting. They'd be fine with fighting maybe one or two, but with nine? They really needed to find a way to reduce their number of enemies, either by ending their wars diplomatically or by destroying their enemies. Bringing that number down was their biggest short-term goal, even if in the long term, they would need to fight a lot of them again to rule Japan.

But there were a few they could more easily destroy than make peace with: Their neighbors, the Saito and Oda, who were weak, and had some resources that the Miyoshi coveted- particularly the Saito's Jade near the city of Matsumoto. It also helped that the Oda and Saito were involved in plenty of other wars- in particular, they were also fighting each other, and sometimes they fought each other more than they fought the Miyoshi, as in February 1532, when Saito Samurai Warriors and Yamabushi combined to kill a unit of Oda Yamabushi. That certainly made things easier for the Miyoshi.

Making things more difficult, on the other hand, was all the other clans also fighting the Miyoshi- such as the Ichijo, who had their Caravels transport a small invasion force of Samurai Archers to attack the critically important island of Matsusaka and its Saltpeter. They were defeated by the Samurai Warriors defending the city, but it's certainly annoying to constantly have to fend off invasions of that island.

Elsewhere, the other clans fought each other- to the West, the Urakami took the city of Ube from the Mori, which connected the Urakami's previously isolated city of Miyazu to the rest of their territory.

The Miyoshi did some attacking of their own in April, but didn't really have much ready yet- all they could do was have their army of Mounted Samurai kill two units of Saito Samurai Warriors.

Despite not having much military ready to attack yet, they did have plenty of gold, and not much to spend it on besides rapidly finishing the training of new military units or building embassies with the other clans, and since there were still a few they lacked embassies with, they decided now was as good of a time as any to build some more embassies. First, in Hamamatsu, capital of the Tokugawa...

...and then in Takamatsu, capital of the Chosokabe.

Hamamatsu was defended by many weak units owing to the Tokugawa's lack of Iron and Horses, while Takamatsu was defended by a smaller number of stronger units.

The Miyoshi's enemies traveled by sea again in May- the Ichijo again invaded Matsusaka with a small force of Samurai Archers, which again proved fruitless for them, as the Miyoshi defenders were easily victorious. The Saito meanwhile, sailed a Galley into Matsumoto- and then left again. Perhaps bringing reinforcements towards the city or away from it? The Miyoshi hoped it was the latter of the two.

A bit later, the Mori declared war on the Chosokabe. Miyoshi suspects a military alliance was responsible, but the Chosokabe's only other enemies are the Oda and Imagawa, who are kind of weak and poor, and the Ryuzoji, who the Miyoshi thought were at war with the Mori. Unless that war between the Mori and Ryuzoji didn't actually last this long, of course, and they were at peace now. That wouldn't be good.

Nothing else really happened, which meant the Miyoshi were finally ready to attack Matsumoto in July. Cannons and Arquebuses fired upon the city from afar, dealing a disappointingly light amount of damage. Still, it wasn't much of a problem for the Mounted Samurai Army to kill two units of the city's defending Samurai Spearmen. Two units of Mounted Samurai outside the army, though, did much worse against the Yamabushi in Matsumoto, and the city would remain in Saito hands for a few months longer- it wouldn't be possible to get enough troops there in attacking shape to launch another attack until the start of the next year.

In the meantime, in a somewhat surprising development, the Hojo and Imagawa stopped fighting in August. Certainly a good development for the Imagawa, who had many enemies and must be thrilled to no longer have to fight their powerful neighbor, but they're certainly not out of the woods yet.

While all this was happening, the Caravels that had ferried the Ichijo's last couple of invasions of Matsuzaka sailed South- and then East, away from Shikoku. Where were they going, exactly?

The Saito and the Oda both asked for peace from the Miyoshi. Miyoshi Nagayoshi might have considered it, except for some reason they both asked for a tribute of some workers, which was a pretty bold and foolish request, given the Miyoshi being considerably stronger than either of them.

After their offers were rejected, they fought on, with the Saito Samurai Archers killing a group of Miyoshi Yamabushi that had gone on a scouting mission deep into their territory, while the Oda destroyed the road to the source of Jade near Matsumoto- which kind of annoyed the Miyoshi, because they would soon gain control of that territory and they for sure wanted the Jade.

Towards the end of November, the Chosokabe city of Aki, on the southern coast of Shikoku, vanished into a pile of rubble. The Ryuzoji were presumably responsible for this.

That month also featured another flood of military alliances and war declarations: The Saito declared war on the Urakami, the Tokugawa declared war on the Mori, the Shimazu declared war on the Chosokabe, and importantly, the Mogami declared war on their neighbors, the Uesugi.

The Mogami-Uesugi war would immediately see some action, as the Uesugi captured the city of Nagai, isolated from the rest of Mogami territory between the Uesugi and Takeda.

At the start of January in 1533, the Miyoshi army resumed its attack on Matsumoto, first by firing cannons from afar, then by sending their Arquebusiers to attack the city. The 3 units of Yamabushi defending Matsumoto proved no match for the deadly Arquebuses, but one unit of Samurai Archers remained. They fought valiantly, fighting off two charging units of Mounted Samurai, but finally fell to a third attack by Samurai Warriors, and the city fell to the Miyoshi, along with its Jade, Sake, and many Settlers and Workers, who became a large number of new slave workers for the Miyoshi.

Well, actually, the Jade was far enough from Matsumoto that it wasn't actually in Miyoshi territory yet- but they'd soon rectify that, there was a patch of hills in the mountains between Matsumoto and Ogaki where they could build a new city to bring the Jade into Miyoshi territory.

The Saito and Oda weren't about to take this all lying down, though- in February, the Saito Galley sent its unit of Samurai Spearmen to occupy the area with the Horses near Matsumoto, while the Oda Yamabushi began waging a war against the Miyoshi luxury resources, destroying the road to the Sake near Matsumoto and heading to the mountain near Ichinomiya with the Gems, though they couldn't destroy that road, yet.

To the Southwest, Matsusaka saw another group of ships in the distance coming to invade- but this time from the Mori, not the Ichijo. Luckily, they had enough time to prepare defenses- in the following months they'd have their own Caravels form a blockade around the island to prevent the Mori from reaching it without going through them.

A few more wars started and ended in February, with the Uesugi and Chosokabe signing peace and more notably, the Tokugawa and Imagawa doing the same, leaving the Imagawa at war with only one of their immediate neighbors, the Takeda, instead of all three. Lastly, the Mogami declared war on the Oda, putting them at war with all three of the Oda, Imagawa, and Uesugi.

The Mogami were also at war with the Miyoshi, one of many wars the Miyoshi were in that were seeing no action- but in April, they were willing to end that war, as were the Ichijo and Date. Miyoshi Nagayoshi happily accepted peace with all of them to bring his number of enemies from nine down to six, although he was somewhat annoyed that the Ichijo demanded a small gold payment. Didn't the Miyoshi win every battle they fought in their brief war? Ah, oh well.

And besides, the Miyoshi had plenty of gold lying around to spend on things like peace treaties- or embassies, which they could now build in the Date capital of Miyako...

...and the Mogami capital of Ogachi.

Both seemed to be well defended and holding out well in their wars against the Oda/Imagawa/Uesugi- or in the Date's case, just the Uesugi, as the embassy let the Miyoshi know that the Date weren't actually at war with the Imagawa or Oda anymore, not that it really mattered much.

Back on the war front, the Mounted Samurai Army killed the Oda Yamabushi and Saito Spearmen that were threatening the Miyoshi's Gems and Horses, respectively, and the Mori Caravels near Matsusaka turned around, unwilling to fight through the blockade around the island. However, as one enemy left, another showed up: Shortly after spending some more of their alliance money to get the Saito to somewhat pointlessly declare war on the Chosokabe, the Ryuzoji showed up from the South with some Caravels of their own. It wasn't clear exactly how big of an invasion force they were carrying, but holding them and the Mori off at the same time if they decided to attack would be a bit difficult. The Miyoshi strengthened their defenses as best as they could in July.

It proved somewhat irrelevant, as the Ryuzoji Caravels ended up going Northwest instead. The Miyoshi at first thought they were going to attack Takamatsu, but they kept sailing right past the Chosokabe's capital.

On the Northern front, the Oda and Saito continued advancing, but also spent more time fighting each other than fighting the Miyoshi- Oda Samurai Archers and Saito Yamabushi fought in August, with the Archers coming out on top. The Saito were also losing in their war on the other front against the Takeda, who captured the northwestern city of Toyama. It seemed like an odd city to be the first to fall to the Takeda, since it wasn't on the border between the Saito and the bulk of Takeda territory, it instead bordered the Takeda city of Mitsuke, on a tiny peninsula isolated from the rest of their territory. It didn't even have any roads leading out of it, which meant it surely must have taken a long time for the Takeda to even get their forces from Mitsuke to Toyama. They were active on other fronts as well, capturing the Imagawa city of Yokohama, leaving them with just their capital of Fuji.

One war started that month and another ended, with the Ryuzoji getting the Date to declare war on the Takeda, while the Mori and Urakami ended their war.

The Miyoshi found this somewhat annoying, since there was still a few months left on the Urakami-Miyoshi alliance against the Mori, but on the other hand, with the Urakami leaving early, there wasn't any particular reason for the Miyoshi to continue fighting the Mori, so continue they didn't, and while they were at it, they also signed a peace treaty with the Shimazu, who were now willing to talk to them.

And since they were now at peace, they took the opportunity to establish some more embassies, in the Mori capital of Hiroshima, which confirmed their suspicions that the Mori and Ryuzoji had ended their war some time ago...

...and the Shimazu capital of Kagoshima, which seemed to the Miyoshi to be a little worryingly on the weak side for a city so close to the very powerful Ryuzoji.

This left the Miyoshi down from 9 enemies all the way to 4: the Oda, Saito, Imagawa, and Ryuzoji, but that was 4 they'd still have to fight, at least for now. The Ryuzoji still had one Caravel in the vicinity of Matsusaka, so the Miyoshi sank it by attacking with Caravels of their own, although they lost a Caravel too in the process.

And on the Oda-Saito border, the Miyoshi finally achieved a goal they'd wanted seemingly forever now: By finishing a road and finishing construction of the city of Shugakuin, they now finally had access to Jade.

(or well, would in a few weeks when the road through the mountains finished, for some reason building the city took less time than building the road)

At the same time, they fired their cannons at the two units of Oda Samurai Archers near their new city, and sent Mounted Samurai, Samurai Warriors, and their Mounted Army to finish them off. Despite the fact that the Cannons had nearly killed them, the Oda Archers in the Mountains to the Southwest were so amazingly fierce (and in so amazingly defensible terrain) that they managed to kill one unit of attacking Mounted Samurai before finally expiring.

The Hojo were rather active in fighting the Oda themselves in November, taking the Eastern city of Seto and convincing the Tokugawa to join them in fighting the Oda, putting the Oda at war with basically all their neighbors and down to just two cities on Honshu, and another on a tiny island to the far West, which curiously had also once housed isolated cities of the Matsunaga and Otomo when they were destroyed, so there's clearly something about that island that attracts doomed clans.

The Miyoshi were happy when they finally finished building the Jade road, meaning they could hire the powerful and stealthy Ninja to their side (6/2/1, Amphibious, All Terrain As Road, Invisiblity/Detect Invisible, Stealth Attack, Hidden Nationality), as well as build a Den to start engaging in Spy missions against the other clans. They decided to immediately start building the Den of Spies in Kyoto. They were also happy to again decline to hold elections for the War Council Daimyo, as clearly everyone was too busy fighting to elect a leader.

Back on the war front, the Miyoshi started off 1534 by having their Mounted Samurai Army kill two units of Oda Yamabushi defending Ogaki, but couldn't do much else there until the rest of their forces caught up to attack. In the meantime, they built the city of Omihachiman on the coast to the West, in a bit of land both the Oda and Saito had for some reason decided not to use, but the Miyoshi were perfectly happy to use.

February saw the usual random, pointless wars start and stop, with the Ryuzoji getting the Date to declare war on the Urakami, all the way on the other side of the island, and the Uesugi and Ichijo ending their pointless war. More interestingly, the Urakami sent a large number of troops into Miyoshi territory, near Tsu and Kakogawa on the border.

The Miyoshi thought of just immediately telling them to stuff it and get out, but fighting them over this didn't seem terribly wise if the Urakami weren't there to fight them, and while the Miyoshi had no particular reason to trust the Urakami, they were at war with the Saito, and likely just going through on their way to attack the Saito. That said, better safe than sorry, the Miyoshi made sure to keep strong defenses in all their cities in the area, to not be caught off guard if the Urakami decided to attack them instead of the Saito.

As it happened, in May, the Urakami decided to... turn around and go back into their own territory, not attacking the Miyoshi or continuing through their territory to attack someone else. Strange.

The Ryuzoji had been strangely quiet in the war against the Miyoshi for a long time, not attacking themselves or getting any new military alliances signed against them. That changed in May, when they emerged from their slumber to get the Uesugi to declare war on the Miyoshi, shortly before the Uesugi themselves signed another alliance getting the Ichijo and Hojo at war. So, the Miyoshi were now finally at war with all three of the Oda, Imagawa, and Uesugi (in addition to the Saito and Ryuzoji)- which was hardly an exclusive club these days.

As the Miyoshi continued their slow advance towards Ogaki in July, they noticed that their friends in fighting the Oda, the Tokugawa, had lots of money and didn't know the Portuguese yet, so they figured they'd come to a mutual understanding to get the Tokugawa some contact and the Miyoshi a lot of money to go towards the war effort:

A bit later, the Date and Uesugi signed a peace treaty, taking them out of the Oda/Imagawa/Uesugi War completely.

The apparently bipolar Urakami decided to turn around again in August and sent their forces back into Miyoshi territory, rather annoyingly. On the other side of things, the Saito noticed that the Miyoshi hadn't bothered to actually defend their newly-built city of Omihachiman, and sent two units of Yamabushi towards it- but it was too far from the front for the Yamabushi to reach it before the Miyoshi could catch them, and in October, they did just that, killing both of the Yamabushi units with units of Mounted Samurai.

But more importantly, the Miyoshi were finally ready to attack Ogaki at full strength. Their fire cannons shelled the city, and then the Mounted Samurai Army killed two more of Ogaki's weakened units of Yamabushi. Only one more stood, and while it was able to take down one unit of attacking Arquebusiers, it couldn't take down a second one, and Ogaki fell to the Miyoshi. The Oda had only Nagoya left now, and it was within striking distance- although curiously, nobody other than the Miyoshi seemed interested in attacking it at the moment.

The Oda had no real response to this in November, beyond attacking a unit of Tokugawa Samurai Archers with their own Archers and Ashigaru and losing all of their own soldiers in that battle, and foolishly sending two units of Yamabushi and a unit of Ashigaru in the direction of Omihachiman, apparently determined to repeat the mistakes of the Saito. Perhaps the Miyoshi would continue to leave it undefended if it was so good at baiting their enemies.

The Urakami continued heading East into Miyoshi territory this time. The Miyoshi kept their guard up and hoped the Urakami were just heading towards the Saito, and not pulling some strange surprise attack well into Miyoshi territory or something.

In Alliance news, the Tokugawa declared war on the Chosokabe and Uesugi at the behest of the Ryuzoji and Takeda, respectively, and the Ichijo got the Date to declare war on the Hojo. How odd; the Date were once one of the Hojo's first allies in fighting the Oda/Imagawa/Uesugi War, and now they fight none of those three and instead fight the Hojo.

In January of 1535, the Miyoshi got right to work attacking the Oda soldiers who had wandered towards Omihachiman. It mostly worked well, with the Mounted Samurai Army killing both the Yamabushi units, but the Ashigaru managed to take down an attacking Miyoshi Yamabushi unit before they were brought down by Samurai Warriors.

Sadly, this seemed to also dissuade the Saito from sending their Yamabushi towards Omihachiman, instead opting to go for a more reachable target: the Jade road, which they were able to successfully destroy in February.

In other news, the Shimazu declared war on the Mori and the Mogami and Uesugi signed a peace treaty, which was probably good for both of them- the Mogami didn't have to fight a powerful neighbor, and the Uesugi were at war with merely most of their neighbords instead of basically all of them, which was definitely bad- they lost the formerly Mogami city of Nagai to the Hojo around the same time the treaty was signed.

More mysteriously, the Oda managed to take Seto back from the Hojo. How the hell do the Oda have the military force to do that? No matter, they wouldn't be long for this world. The Miyoshi started shelling Nagoya and brought many troops to the area around the city to try to starve it down. The Oda would soon be no more, and whether they took Seto with them when Oda Nobunaga would die would be up to whether the Hojo could take it back in time or not.

And in bigger news, in April of 1535, the Miyoshi no longer had any alliances committing them to fight the Ryuzoji, so they decided to stop fighting them, rather than continue to get caught in this endless parade of wars and alliances. They also decided to stop fighting the Imagawa, who were now willing to talk to them. It cost the Miyoshi a small amount of gold, but that was a price they were willing to pay to get the Ryuzoji focusing on someone else for a bit.

That brought the Miyoshi down to just three enemies- the Oda and Saito, who they'd soon destroy, and the Uesugi, who they'd stop fighting as soon as they could. They only hoped they could avoid getting dragged into any more wars in the meantime, and hoped that the next time they were fighting a war, it was one of their choosing, rather than one they'd been brought into because every other clan in Japan will apparently sign military alliances and declare war or peace at the drop of a hat.

Spent the better part of the last week reading through this -- great stuff! Looking forward to the next update.

Glad to see new people are still reading through my stories!

Chapter 63: The Siege of Nagoya

The Miyoshi military had begun to surround the Oda capital of Nagoya near the beginning of 1535. That was the easy part. Actually assaulting and taking the city was another matter- it was very large and well-fortified, defended by many military units, particularly Yamabushi, who would do everything they could to keep the Miyoshi away from Daimyo Oda Nobunaga. They'd have to cut off the city's food supplies and wait for it to shrink a bit before they could even think of attacking it, and that would take many months to seriously affect Nagoya.

The Oda, for their part, had mostly only experienced losses so far in this war, to both the Miyoshi and their eastern neighbors. Though they had recently retaken the city of Seto from the Hojo, that victory was short-lived, as the city fell again in May, 1535 to the Tokugawa. The Oda again had just their capital and an isolated city in an island to the far West, and nothing else.

The rest of the warring clans engaged in a dance of shifting alliances in which they, seemingly at random, declared war on each other at requests of other clans, sometimes on supposed allies, and ended wars just as randomly. In this particular month, the Mogami declared war on the Urakami at the request of the Ryuzoji, while the Urakami and Saito ended their war, as did the Uesugi and Shimazu and the Chosokabe and Ryuzoji. Of those, the only one likely to really be consequential was the end of the Chosokabe-Ryuzoji war, due to their relative proximity, and the Ryuzoji had probably at one point invaded Shikoku and burned one of the Chosokabe's cities.

The Urakami and Saito were somewhat close, but the Urakami Warriors that had gone through Miyoshi territory to presumably attack the Saito hadn't gotten even halfway through before that war ended- and nevertheless, they kept going, perhaps to fight some other, farther East enemy of the Urakami, like the Mogami or Date, perhaps? Wherever it was they were going, the Miyoshi saw no reason to let them have use of their roads to get through faster, but also saw no reason to kick them out, either. The Mori also joined the Urakami in sending forces through Miyoshi territory to fight some mysterious enemy, though in this case they sent only a Yamabushi unit.

In July, the Miyoshi aimed their Cannons, Rocket Carts, and Arquebuses at Nagoya, and began firing with everything they could to weaken the city's defenses. They found, to their dismay, that despite hitting the defending Yamabushi quite a few times, more kept arising to take their place. They believed there were at least 7 units of Oda Yamabushi defending the city. They'd need a really strong attack if they wanted to break through, and they'd need to let the city starve a bit first.

In the meantime, one thing that would help was when they finished rebuilding the road to the Jade near Shugakuin, to enable them to enlist the aid of more Ninja in attacking their enemies, a bit more sneakily.

News of the other clans' diplomacy in August mostly revolved around the Chosokabe and Mori, who decided that fighting each other wasn't great so they stopped, and also decided that getting other clans to fight was great, so they got the Date to declare war on the Tokugawa and the Saito to declare war on the Shimazu. In more consequential news, the Ryuzoji, in what would become a pattern of getting other clans to fight them against the Urakami, got their Western neighbors, the Mori, to declare war on them.

The Mori and Urakami wasted no time going after each other- and they were quite close to each other in Miyoshi territory, so the Urakami decided to have their Samurai Warriors attack and kill the Mori Yamabushi, with the ones who didn't participate in the battle turning around and heading back West to go fight the Mori.

A unit of Miyoshi Yamabushi camping in the fields Northeast of Nagoya was suddenly ambushed by a Ninja around the same time as the Urakami and Mori fought. Well, not really ambushed, the Yamabushi were fairly good at seeing Ninja coming and not being taken by surprise, but attacked nonetheless. They survived the attack from the Ninja, but were weakened enough from the battle that when Oda Yamabushi attacked them shortly after, the Oda finished the job- and this left enough of a gap in the battle lines for another unit of Oda Yamabushi to run around, past all the Miyoshi military units, and to an undefended group of workers trying to build a road through a mountain. They were all captured and started heading back towards Oda territory, although with the weakness of Oda units nearby and great number of Miyoshi units, it would not be long before they were retaken.

Still, the combination Ninja + Yamabushi attack was rather irritating. Based on the timing of the attack and direction it came from, the Ninja was almost certainly hired by the Tokugawa, who were supposedly allies of the Miyoshi against the Oda, and now they were helping the Oda out by attacking the besiegers of Nagoya? What gives?

That wasn't even the only Ninja in the area- after all of that, the Miyoshi saw one more in October, and decided they'd best kill the Ninja and worry about what the hell the Tokugawa were doing later. They had some of their cannons and arquebuses shell the Ninja instead of Nagoya, and then finished the Ninja with attacking Yamabushi.

Now all that was left was to deal with the Oda Yamabushi that had taken their workers, and take the workers back. Some cannons and a Rocket Cart that weren't shelling the Ninja opened fire on the Yamabushi, and then Mounted Samurai prepared to finish the job.

They vastly underestimated how strong the Yamabushi could fight, and the Miyoshi watched in horror as 4 straight units of Mounted Samurai attacked... and all died. Even with the fact that the Yamabushi were holding up on a mountain, it was shocking that it stood up to all of that. Finally, the Miyoshi decided they'd need to attack with something a little stronger, and a unit of Samurai Arquebusiers went in to finish the job, finally killing the Yamabushi, but it really shouldn't have taken all that.

Sadly, doing that had stretched them a bit thin in defending their Northern border, enabling the Saito to send a unit of Yamabushi to the Jade Mountain in November, and destroy the road to it... again. That would sure make things more difficult...

The wars starting and ending that month were a bit more consequential than usual- the only one that didn't really seem noteworthy was the Oda and Mogami ending a war they would never fight. The wars that started all seemed somewhat important- the Imagawa declaring war on the Uesugi at the Hojo's request wasn't all that likely to mean much, but it was somewhat shocking in that the Imagawa and Uesugi had been allied against around half of Japan just a year or two ago, and now they were enemies because their powerful neighbor said so. As to wars that could actually see combat, the Mori got the Ichijo to declare war on the Urakami- they were close enough to likely at least see some ship combat- and most importantly of all, the Takeda got the Mori- one of the Ryuzoji's closest neighbors- to declare war on the Ryuzoji, despite the fact that the Mori had signed an alliance with the Ryuzoji against the Urakami only three months earlier. Not that being allies seems to mean much of anything these days...

Despite all the interruptions in the Miyoshi's Jade supply, they had been able to get just enough to hire the services of a Ninja in January, 1536, and thought a good use of it might be sending the Ninja to sneak into Nagoya and kill the weakest defenders they could find. The good news was there was a pretty soft target: The Oda for some reason still had a unit of Ashigaru in the city (perhaps they just never got the Iron to upgrade to stronger weapons), and the Ninja killed the Ashigaru. The bad news: There was also 9 units of Yamabushi and 3 of Samurai Archers in the city. They'd need plenty of force to kill all of them.

While they waited to get the city shrunk enough to attack more easily, they could at least take their Jade back, and so they shelled the Saito Yamabushi as much as they could before killing them with their Mounted Samurai Army. Work would immediately begin again on rebuilding the Jade road- hopefully for good, this time.

The Tokugawa, clearly a bit more confident in their offensive abilities than the Miyoshi were, attacked Nagoya with a unit of Samurai Archers in February. Their confidence was misplaced, as their Archers were easily destroyed by the defending Yamabushi. The Tokugawa followed up by attacking with Ninjas... only they didn't attack Nagoya, they attacked the Miyoshi Yamabushi outside the city, with the first Ninja failing but weakening the Yamabushi enough for the second to kill them.

Miyoshi Nagayoshi wondered whose side the Tokugawa were really on, and soon got an answer: The Tokugawa signed peace with the Oda shortly after their Ninja attacks. I guess they weren't really on our side after all.

Speaking of the Oda, the Ryuzoji continued their quest to get allies against the Urakami, and decided the Oda would make a good one, despite the fact that the Oda had very little military and could certainly never get past the Miyoshi to attack the Urakami. Perhaps the Ryuzoji could use some better choices in allies?

Well, if the Tokugawa weren't going to help, the Miyoshi would do it themselves- and also kill any Ninja the Tokugawa deigned to throw at them. The Ninja that had killed their Yamabushi was still standing East of Nagoya in April, so the Miyoshi killed them with Arquebusiers.

They also noticed that the Uesugi were finally willing to talk to them, and figured that getting out of a war they had no intention of fighting had to be a good thing, especially with the Uesugi willing to pay them quite a bit of money for peace.

The Miyoshi now were only fighting the Oda and Saito... and intended to finish those wars through conquering both.

Perhaps the Uesugi were willing to pay so much because fighting so many enemies for so long was starting to take its toll. In May, the Date recaptured the border city of Hirosaki, which the Uesugi had taken from the Date a few years prior.

In diplomatic news, the Ryuzoji kept right up with their pace of getting one alliance against the Urakami every three months- this time it was the Imagawa, who, like the Oda earlier, posed absolutely no threat to the Urakami. The Ichijo conviced the Mori to declare war on the Oda (pointless, given the Mori's wars against their closer neighbors) and the Tokugawa to declare war on the Hojo- that might be less pointless, given the proximity of the Tokugawa's Eastern territory to the Hojo. And the Imagawa got the Date to declare war on their neighbors, the Mogami, making the Date at war with both their immediate neighbors.

In more peaceful news, the Takeda signed peace with the Oda, which, despite being somewhat close, would mean little, as it wasn't going to stop the Miyoshi from finishing the Oda off themselves.

The ongoing siege had finally succeeded in shrinking Nagoya's population by the beginning of July, so, no longer distracted by the Saito going after their Jade, they shelled the city again. Unable to injure all 9 of the defending Yamabushi units, the settled for just bringing more of their forces closer to the city- particularly their Mounted Samurai Army, and having Mounted Samurai outside of the army kill a Ninja to the southeast that presumably was in the employ of the Tokugawa.

In the meantime, the Saito were going to do everything in their power to be a hindrance, but luckily, "everything in their power" just meant sending two units of Samurai Archers to occupy a mountain near Shugakuin, and the Miyoshi had more than enough forces of their own in the area to defend Shugakuin and the Jade Mountain.

The wars starting and ending in August largely seemed inconsequential- the Chosokabe and Saito signed peace, as did the Mogami and Imagawa and the Tokugawa and Mori, while the Tokugawa got the Mogami to declare war on the Hojo and the Date got the Saito to declare war on the Tokugawa. The only thing that might happen as a result is the Saito attacking the isolated northern Tokugawa city of Komagane, and it seemed unlikely they could mount much of a threat, based on what the Miyoshi had seen of the Saito military so far.

The Miyoshi were again faced with the question of "should we hold elections for the War Council" in September, and again, their answer was no, given too much war going on.

For instance: There was the war between the Oda and Miyoshi, which the Miyoshi sought to end as soon as they could. They resumed shelling Nagoya in October, and found themselves having much less success than they wanted, to their dismay. Oh well- their Mounted Samurai Army didn't need that much help. They just went ahead and attacked the city, and despite fierce fighting from the Yamabushi and the aid of the city's Samurai Archers providing defensive bombardment, the Army killed 3 units of Yamabushi, though they suffered a bit of damage in the process. Those Archers would be a pain if not dealt with. Perhaps their Ninja could do the job...

The Ninja could perhaps instead have just gone straight to attacking Oda Nobunaga himself, but the Miyoshi were cautious, and knew little about Nobunaga's actual fighting power. Perhaps he could take on 3 Ninja and live to tell the tale, perhaps he couldn't. Whatever the case may be, they knew that they would be stronger than the Archers if their defensive bombard was exhausted supporting the Yamabushi- so, in the chaos of the battle, the Miyoshi sent their 3 Ninja to sneak behind enemy lines and kill every Archer they could find. Though the Ninja didn't escape unscathed, they suffered no losses, while all 3 of the Oda's Samurai Archer units were completely destroyed. They now had only their 6 Yamabushi units to defend Oda Nobunaga with.

In November, the Saito went ahead and attacked Shugakuin with one of their Archer units, but the defending Arquebusiers were far too strong for them and repelled their attack easily. The remaining Archer unit, seeing the futility in attacking, just destroyed the roads in the area.

The other clans didn't do much interesting- the Takeda got the Ichijo to join them in fighting the Saito, and the Mori got the Tokugawa to declare war on the Ryuzoji, and the Miyoshi witnessed a few naval battles off their coast- a Takeda Caravel sinking a Ryuzoji Caravel, and a Shimazu Caravel sinking a Mori Galley- but that was about it.

Perhaps the other clans just weren't doing anything that the Miyoshi could see but were doing things they couldn't see. The Miyoshi hoped to change that soon, with Kyoto finishing work on a building full of spies that would enable them to plant spies with the other clans and watch them more closely.

They figured a good place to start would be putting spies with the clans they were currently at war with. Deciding that they already know all they needed about the Oda and they weren't long for this world, and thus spying on them would be somewhat of a waste of money, they instead decided to try having a spy infiltrate the Saito capital of Tonami in January, 1537. The spy failed, and was captured and killed. They could try again later...

And in the meantime, one thing they could try right now was to kill the remaining defenders of Nagoya. Cannons continued to fire upon the city, again inflicting minimal damage. Again, no problem- they had plenty of Arquebusiers and a Mounted Samurai Army ready to go even if Nagoya still had some full-strength Yamabushi units. The Army attacked first, killing one unit of Yamabushi, but suffered enough damage in the process that they had to retreat and heal themselves. The Arquebusiers followed with attacks of their own. 4 units of Arqubusiers fired their guns at the Yamabushi in the city, and the Yamabushi could do little but inflict a few scratches on them in response- 4 units of Oda Yamabushi were now dead. Just 2 remained- and though they fought valiantly against the attacking Samurai Warriors, they were only able to kill one of the Samurai Warrior units before succumbing. The Miyoshi had used up most of their strongest attackers killing all the Yamabushi, but it seemed worth it- there was now just one man in the city left to resist them: Daimyo Oda Nobunaga. The Miyoshi, conversely, still had 3 units of Mounted Samurai to attack with. They liked those odds.

He appeared hidden behind some Oda Settlers at first, but as the Mounted Samurai approached the city, Oda Nobunaga suddenly emerged at the gates to challenge them.

"Enough! You have killed many of my people, but no longer. I'm going to stop you from coming any further!"

The Mounted Samurai seemed amused by this challenge; a Daimyo might be a great fighter, but what was a lone man going to do against 3 units of Mounted Samurai?

The few witnesses of the battle who lived to tell the tale could say: What that lone man was going to do was win, and keep winning. They couldn't even really describe what they saw coherently; Oda Nobunaga just cut through anyone near him, the quick stroke of his blade and the sounds of clashing steel being all they could even briefly see or hear. Oda Nobunaga didn't emerge unscathed- but every single Mounted Samurai that had attacked him lay dead at the gates of Nagoya. Nobunaga even appeared stronger than ever as a consequence of his experience with fighting these Mounted Samurai.

The Tokugawa continued to be determined to help the Oda avoid destruction anyway they could, and so in February they sent more of their Ninja to attack the Miyoshi's weakened Arquebusiers to the East of Nagoya, killing the unit that had been on flat ground, but the Ninja that attacked the Arquebusiers in the hills found the Arquebusiers' height advantage too much to overcome, and the Ninja was shot to death.

The Saito also appeared determined to help the Oda out, or at least hurt the Miyoshi, and the Miyoshi had somewhat carelessly left a Rocket Cart undefended- easy pickings for an attacking group of Saito Yamabushi that the Miyoshi hadn't realized the Saito could get to.

The other clans were somewhat surprisingly inactive on the diplomatic front that month, the only change in war status being that the Takeda and Ryuzoji signed a peace treaty, ending a war they probably never actually fought outside of getting other clans to sign military alliances.

Not wanting to let these Yamabushi and Ninja continue to cause more trouble, the Miyoshi turned their cannons on them in April, and then had Arquebusiers kill the Saito Yamabushi and Mounted Samurai kill the Tokugawa (at least, presumably Tokugawa) Ninja. They also shelled Nagoya somewhat, where Oda Nobunaga had managed to use what little money had left to arm some poorly-trained citizens into a unit of Yamabushi. They were too weak to hold off even a single attack from the Miyoshi Arquebusiers, but they were strong enough, and the Miyoshi distracted enough by the other things they fought, that the Miyoshi didn't quite feel strong enough to challenge Oda Nobunaga again. But he would not live for too much longer.

They would not be distracted by anything this time. The Oda were no longer capable of rushing any more defenders to their side, and the Saito and Tokugawa would be of no help. The only things of consequence that happened in May was more news of diplomacy- the Oda, somewhat pointlessly, declared war on the Date at the behest of the Tokugawa, that equally pointlessly the Oda got the Uesugi to declare war on the Ichijo, and the Date, also pointlessly, declared war on the Imagawa at the request of the Mori. The only news that might potentially mean something is the Ichijo convincing the Ryuzoji to declare war on the Hojo- not that the Ryuzoji and Hojo would actually fight, but they were both rich and powerful and would likely sign many alliances against the other.

With no more Yamabushi at his side, Oda Nobunaga stood alone against all the might of the Miyoshi army in July.

The Miyoshi felt a great sense of haste to end the war quickly, as many of their citizens were growing more and more weary of the ongoing war (I totally forgot this scenario even had war weariness until now) and riots threatened to break out- especially in cities taken from the Oda- if the war didn't end, now.

The Miyoshi would not have to wait long. Their Cannons fired on Nagoya from afar, joined by the Arquebusiers who were within shelling range but too injured to actually attack. They didn't do a ton of damage to Oda Nobunaga himself, but they did enough.

Nobunaga fought well, well enough that despite taking many bullets from the first unit of Arquebusiers to attack him, he was able to kill them all. But by this point he'd just taken too many hits. A second unit attacked him- and he just wasn't able to withstand everything that had been thrown at him. Oda Nobunaga perished, and with him, the city of Nagoya burned to the ground. The city of Kariya, on the island in the far West, followed soon after. The Oda were no more.

With the Oda gone, the Miyoshi could turn their full attention to finishing the Saito. Well, most of it- they'd still have to watch out for the Tokugawa's continued Ninja attacks, and they'd have to hurry to settle the area vacated by the destruction of Nagoya so that nobody else got there before they did.

Predictably, Ninja, likely hired by the Tokugawa, attacked the Miyoshi's Yamabushi in August. the Ninja died, again.

Elsewhere, the Takeda got the Chosokabe to declare war on the Uesugi, and more importantly, the Urakami and Mori ended their brief war, likely both deciding that their efforts would be better expended fighting the Ryuzoji than fighting each other.

Ever since the Saito's Samurai Archer incursion a few months ago, their remaining unit of archers had just camped out on the mountain near Shugakuin, perhaps waiting for an opening to attack the city or the Jade. Whatever they were waiting for, they would die waiting- the Mounted Samurai Army was fully healed in October, and more than capable of killing those Archers and then continuing right on into Saito territory, with Cannons and Arquebusiers following behind.

In November, the Urakami, somewhat surprisingly, started sending Samurai East through Miyoshi territory again, and once again, the Miyoshi assumed they were going to attack one of their Eastern enemies, but saw little reason to help them get through any faster and little reason to trust they weren't about to be sneak-attacked.

In no surprise at all, the Tokugawa sent a group of Settlers, escorted by Yamabushi, towards the former location of Nagoya. But it was irrelevant- the Miyoshi would get there before the Tokugawa would. Somewhat oddly, the Settlers and Yamabushi had decided to occupy the same location as a Ninja, kinda giving away whatever cover the Ninja had and making it clear the Ninja did, in fact, belong to the Tokugawa.

In largely inconsequential news, the Ryuzoji got the Mogami to declare war on the Tokugawa, and the Imagawa and Ichijo signed peace. In much more consequential news, the Hojo and Uesugi decided to end the long war they'd fought in which neither side had really ever been able to do that much to the other.

Funny- a lot of the wars that were ongoing right now stemmed from the war that started nearly 15 years ago when the Hojo attacked the Miyoshi at Kakogawa, and the Miyoshi responded by allying with the Uesugi, Oda, and Imagawa against the Hojo. Now, after many alliances formed and broke, at one point leading to around half the other clans fighting all three of the Uesugi, Oda, and Imagawa, the Hojo were at war with none of the clans that they'd been at war with at the start- they ended their wars diplomatically with the Uesugi, Imagawa, and Miyoshi, and of course the Oda had recently been destroyed.

Now there weren't really any kind of coherent alliances beyond a few of the clans having a few of their enemies in common- everything was just chaos.

The Miyoshi had rushed groups of Settlers with all the money they'd been collecting recently to make sure they could resettle Nagoya before anyone else did. In January, 1538, they succeeded- and decided to rebuild the city a bit to the Southeast of where it had originally been, and gave it a new name- Hikone.

Hikone on its own would probably be sufficient to dissuade the Tokugawa or others from settling in the region, but there were several other areas in former Oda territory that the Miyoshi felt had been underutilized that could really use some brand new Miyoshi cities to make good use of.

As the Miyoshi military approached Tonami, they started to shell the city from afar. They had little success, and found it appeared to be better defended than Nagoya was- while Nagoya had only Yamabushi in its defense, Tonami could muster Samurai Spearmen and Warriors- both considerably stronger defensively. This would be a tougher nut to crack, so they decided to learn a bit more about the city's defenses. In the chaos of the shelling, another Miyoshi spy attempted to infiltrate the city. Much like the attempt a year ago, this spy failed, and was captured and killed.

They also sent a unit of Yamabushi ahead, towards the location of the Saito's Iron, with the aim of destroying the road to it, if they could. At least then the Saito would be somewhat more limited in their offensive capability.

The Saito did what they could to stop the Yamabushi in February, but they found the Yamabushi too difficult to attack in the mountains they occupied, and the unit of Samurai Archers who tried all perished.

The Tokugawa Ninja seemed annoyed at the fact that they'd been beaten to the former location of Nagoya, and attacked the Yamabushi defending Hikone. The Yamabushi emerged victorious.

The Saito were also very heavily involved in military alliances that month: at the request of the Chosokabe and Ryuzoji, they declared war on the Imagawa and Urakami, the Mori declared war on the Saito at the request of the Ichijo, and finally, the Saito themselves got in on the alliance action, getting aid in their war against the Shimazu... from the Date, who were located on the exact opposite side of Japan.

Miyoshi Nagayoshi, upon hearing of that alliance, could only think "There is no way those two will ever fight each other, not with too many other enemies and like, 13 other clans between the Shimazu and Date"

How right he would be.

Barely a week after the news of the Date declaring war on the Shimazu, the Miyoshi got more news about the Shimazu...

...And the news they got was rather shocking: They had been completely annihilated. All 5 of their cities in Southern Kyushu lay in ruins.

Even more shocking: The identity of the clan that had destroyed them.

On one level, the Ryuzoji destroying their remaining neighbor and taking full control of Kyushu was to be expected at some point- but right now? The Ryuzoji and Shimazu weren't even at war, and in fact, they'd been fighting together against several other clans over the recent past. Their relations had seemed fairly strong. If the Ryuzoji were responsible for the Shimazu's demise, at must have been at the hands of hired Ninja, going into the capital of Kagoshima, bypassing the Shimazu's defenses, and assassinating Daimyo Shimazu Yoshihisa.

If the Ryuzoji were so power-hungry they'd be more than willing to backstab what had seemed to be a close ally for years and kill their Daimyo through espionage to get control of more territory- what else would they be willing to do?

Whatever the answer to that was, the Miyoshi could worry about that later. For now, they had the Saito to worry about. Shelling Tonami continued to be largely ineffective, so they just spent most of April, 1538 getting more of their troops in position to start attacking the city in the future, and their Yamabushi continue going deep into their territory towards their Iron- and upon getting there, they gleefully discovered that someone else had already destroyed the road there. Even better, the road to the Tokugawa's lone source of Jade near Komagane had also been destroyed, stopping them from sending more Ninjas at the Miyoshi least in the immediate future.

That left them somewhat more free to concentrate on building cities in former Oda territory instead of defending everything from Ninja. They built one such city in the middle of Hikone, Ichinomiya, and Ogaki, and called it Nagahama.

The Yamabushi that had discovered the pillaged Iron and Jade wouldn't get to celebrate for long, though- in May, they were attacked by a Ninja, probably belonging to either the Takeda or Tokugawa- and wounded from their earlier fight with Saito Archers, they could not stand up to the attack of the Ninja, and the Yamabushi all perished.

The Takeda and Date decided to end their war that month, in another installment of "wars that were probably never fought are now over."

The Miyoshi built their last intended gap-filling city in July, named Ueno, between Seto and Ogaki, near the border with the Tokugawa.

Back at Tonami, their Cannons continued firing on the city, and they made a splendid discovery: While they had one unit of Samurai Spearmen and 2 of Samurai Warriors defending the city, that was it for their strongest defenders: Beyond that, it was just Yamabushi or Archers. Emboldened by this knowledge, the Mounted Samurai Army attacked the city with the aim of killing all those strong defensive units- and succeeded, rather easily, at killing all the Spearmen and Warriors, despite the assistance of some defensive bombardment.

Another great thing they discovered: Only 2 units of Samurai Archers were there to bombard them defensively, which meant any future attackers would have an easier time the next time around, and they had 4 Ninja within reach of the city to take out those Samurai Archers.

Or at least, they could have attacked the Archers if they wanted to.

But the Miyoshi had a better idea: why bother with them when they can just go straight by all of them, and fight Daimyo Saito Tatsuoki? 4 Ninja on 1 Daimyo? The Miyoshi like those odds.

As it turned out, they didn't even need 4. 1 was enough.

The Saito thought that all their defenses of Tonami would be sufficient to hold off the attacking Miyoshi forces for at least a few more months, but all the defenses in the world weren't enough when a single Ninja could slip right by all of them. Past the walls, past the Yamabushi, past the Archers, past everything, and straight to Saito Tatsuoki.

Tastuoki fought his Ninja attacker as best as he could, giving the Ninja a hell of a fight, but he wasn't remotely the fighter that Oda Nobunaga was, and he wasn't the fighter that this Ninja was, either. They clashed blades for long enough to give the Ninja a bit of a scare, but it ultimately could only end one way- with Tatsuoki's head no longer attached to his body.

Tonami burned to the ground as soon as Tatsuoki died. So did Fukui, just to the East on the border with the Takeda, and Takaoka, on the coast to the far East, on the border between the Hojo and Uesugi.

Miyoshi Nagayoshi was surprised to hear that the Saito had crumbled so quickly, expecting them to last a bit longer than that, but if it was a surprise, it was a welcome one. They'd get right to work rebuilding new cities in former Saito territory- and their Ninja would be on hand to make sure nobody else tried to beat them to the punch.

Most importantly, the Saito's defeat ended the last war the Miyoshi were a part of. They were now at peace with everyone, at least temporarily above all the chaos and warfare.

It would likely not last long- the Miyoshi weren't the types to sit around and wait, and they had several neighbors that looked like they could use a good invasion. The Urakami, perhaps, if the Miyoshi still wished to conquer them after halting their attempt years ago when other wars broke out. Or the Tokugawa? They were really asking for it with their incessant Ninja attacks.

In the span of around a year, the warring clans of Japan suddenly found themselves three fewer in number, with the rapid deaths of the Oda, the Shimazu, and the Saito. Perhaps there would still be 13 for some time, as there had been 16 for decades before this last year... but then again, perhaps not.

WoW! This was a lot of action. :clap: And now the Miyoshi are researching Future Tech. May be better Naval Cannons? :D

And now the Miyoshi are researching Future Tech. May be better Naval Cannons? :D

Have been for a while now, think since Chapter 61. I only wish Future Tech could provide some more in-game benefits!

Chapter 64: Consolidation

The Miyoshi would need to hurry if they wanted to claim the land vacated by the Saito before the Takeda or Tokugawa did. Luckily, they had plenty of money in July, 1538, as they had basically every month since they stopped paying their scientists after they stopped researching anything useful, so they put that to use building a few Settlers very quickly. Though there had previously only been 2 Saito cities there, Tonami and Fukui, the Miyoshi thought there was enough room in the vacated territory for at least 4, spaced a bit closer together to make better use of the land.

Most of the news of what other clans were up to in August was unimportant- the Miyoshi didn't see any of them suddenly rushing into former Saito territory, perhaps because they were as unprepared for the Saito's collapse as the Miyoshi were. The news of wars starting or ending didn't seem to matter much at first, just the Ueusgi and Tokugawa ending a war they'd never fight and the Urakami being convinced by the Takeda to declare war on the Uesugi to start another war they'd never fight.

And then the Mori got the Hojo to declare war on the Imagawa.

Well, the Imagawa were involved in enough wars that they were probably already bound to die eventually, but the Hojo, their big and powerful immediate neighbor, declaring war on them could only hasten their demise. The Hojo definitely had the strength in the area to finish them fairly quickly, as they were already fighting the Tokugawa- shortly before this alliance, the Hojo took Shimada, the isolated Easternmost city of the Tokugawa, and burned it to the ground.

Perhaps the Urakami would eventually reach the Uesugi if their small force of Samurai Warriors ever made it through Miyoshi territory, but that would take years, and they had many closer enemies. Whatever it was they were doing, they continued their slow, steady past East, moving every three months.

Moving at a slightly faster pace were the Miyoshi Settlers heading into former Saito territory. The Tokugawa attempted to send some Settlers of their own, escorted by Ashigaru, in November, but they were in that month ambushed by a Ninja, with no survivors reported. The Ninja was believed to be under the employ of the Takeda. The Miyoshi were rather grateful for that, as it spared them the trouble of killing the Tokugawa with their own Ninja.

The Hojo were somewhat active diplomatically, ending their war with the Mogami and convincing the Takeda to declare war on the Ichijo, but it was unlikely either of these would mean much.

Just at the very end of the year, the Miyoshi finished work on the Heroic Epic, a story of their past heroic battles, in the hopes that studying the epic would cause more leaders to arise to lead their armies.

The Miyoshi started off the year of 1539 by giving their thanks to the Ninja that had killed the Tokugawa Settlers and Ashigaru in November. Said "thanks" came in the form of another Ninja stabbing the (presumably Takeda) Ninja to death.

The fact that their last Ashigaru and Settlers had met a grisly demise didn't stop the Tokugawa from sending more towards former Saito territory in February.

The Tokugawa were also involved in some rather shady diplomacy involving the Ryuzoji. First, the Ryuzoji convinced the Imagawa to declare war on the Tokugawa, putting the Imagawa at war with yet another of their neighbors, and only pushing them even closer to destruction.

Then, immediately after that alliance, before the ink on it had even dried... the Ryuzoji signed peace with the Tokugawa.

"What are the Ryuzoji even doing these days, they kill their allies the Shimazu when they aren't at war, they convince someone to help them against an enemy and immediately bail out on them? Are they just really fond of backstabbing the other clans?"

Whatever it was they were up to, it was getting them no friends, and quite the opposite: The Urakami convinced the Chosokabe to join them in fighting the Ryuzoji, which along with the Ryuzoji fighting the Mori meant the Ryuzoji were at war with 3 of their closest neighbors on the other islands.

Finally, the Ichijo convinced the Mogami to declare war on the Uesugi, putting the Mogami at war with both of their immediate neighbors. Given how small they were, that probably wasn't a great place to be in, their position only looking not completely terrible because the Date were also small and the Uesugi were fighting plenty of other wars and probably couldn't focus on the Mogami.

The Ryuzoji spent parts of that month building cities in former Shimazu territory and trying to lay claim to all of Kyushu, while the Hojo built a city of their own, on the location of a former Saito city. Specifically, near the former location of Takaoka, the Saito city that had until a few months ago existed on the Hojo-Uesugi border.

The Miyoshi, of course, didn't really care about that location, as long as they could reach their preferred locations in the core of the former Saito territory. In April, they were able to build two cities there, one West of the former location of Tonami on the coast, which they called Toba...

...And another in the mountains to the Southeast, which they called Ise.

But it wasn't enough to just build those: There was still room for more, which meant they'd have to stop the Tokugawa from getting there. Luckily they had just the Ninja for the job.

The only surviving witnesses to the ambush were the members of the settling party that were captured and put to work for the Miyoshi as slaves. All they could describe was a seemingly invisible, impossibly fast man attacking them from everywhere all at once, until all of the Ashigaru escorting them perished.

The Ninja, known as Saotome, was impressive enough in this battle that Miyoshi Nagayoshi thought his talents would be better served in a different role, like, say, leading an army of Arquebusiers.

Sadly, while they were able to stop the Tokugawa from building any cities, the Takeda proved a bit more clever at avoiding the Ninja: when they built the new city of Shibata in May, it was within territory that already belonged to the Takeda, a bit to the Northeast of the former city of Fukui. Oh well; the Miyoshi didn't really care that much about building that far North anyway.

The recently-started Ryuzoji-Chosokabe war saw its first action off the coast between Shikoku and Miyoshi territory, as a Chosokabe Caravel attacked a large group of Ryuzoji Caravels and sunk one of them, retreating heavily damaged. Strangely, the remaining Ryuzoji Caravels opted not to press the advantage they had and finish it off. Perhaps they were too valuable to be risked like that?

The Date were convinced to declare war on the Ichijo and Ryuzoji by the Takeda and Mori respectively. This likely wouldn't matter much at all, seeing as how the Date were on the exact opposite side of Japan from the Ichijo and Ryuzoji.

The time for War Council elections came up again that month: The Miyoshi, as always, opted not to hold any. Perhaps if they could more clearly win over enough clans to vote them over the Hojo or Ryuzoji, whichever one would be their opponent in the elections...

The Miyoshi spent July finishing filing in the empty space in former Saito territory, first building Miya north of Tonami's ruins, and rather close to the former-Saito currently-Takeda city of Toyama...

...And then building Yodo, between the ruins of Tonami and Fukui, close to the moutnains near the Iron and Jade.... and bringing the Iron out of Tokugawa territory, critically.

They also had some of their Ninja "liberate" some Takeda workers that had foolishly hung around undefended in the formerly empty territory near Yodo. With all the land in former Saito territory claimed, it now became important to consolidate the Miyoshi's new territory, through using their prodigious cash reserves to fund rapid military development to defend it, to using their new workers to build more roads and other improvements, to funding buildings that would expand their control of their new territory, perhaps pushing back on the Takeda and Tokugawa's borders somewhat in some areas.

The Takeda very generously offered to help by sending three worker groups to the Iron mountain in August. The Miyoshi were so happy about this they decided to let them build a road there and save them the trouble... and then have Ninja kidnap them.

This was made possible in part by the continued agreement between the Takeda and Miyoshi to allow passage through the other's territory, which the Miyoshi had honestly kind of forgotten was even a thing until now. What they didn't forget was their similar agreement with the Tokugawa, because that one involved the Tokugawa paying them some money... or at least it did until the agreement ran out that month. Shame, it was perhaps the only thing that kept the Miyoshi from sizing up the Tokugawa as a target... and they looked like a mighty tempting one right now.

The month also saw more wars end, although they were typically of the "too far to fight each other" variety- the Urakami signed peace with the Date, and the Uesugi signed peace with the Chosokabe and Mori. The only war that started was the Uesugi convincing the Tokugawa to declare war on the Urakami, which might matter whenever the Urakami finally got their Samurai Warriors through Miyoshi territory.

Three months after entering Miyoshi territory, two of the Takeda worker groups started building a road on the Iron mountain, while the third starting heading Southwest. Curious. The Miyoshi decided to wait and see where they were planning on going.

The Tokugawa, showing surprising resilience against the Hojo, rebuilt near the former site of their recently destroyed city, founding the city of Shizuoka just South of the ruins. It would remain to be seen how long it would last.

The Ryuzoji-Chosokabe War saw its first major battle that month, with the Ryuzoji invading Shikoku, rather successfully, and taking the city of Nankoku, a city the Chosokabe had fairly recently built on the site of a city the Ryuzoji had destroyed the last time they invaded.

But the Ryuzoji victory would be short lived. Just a few months later, in February of 1540, the Chosokabe retook the city.

And back on their home island of Kyushu, the Mori somewhat inexplicably got past their navy into old Shimazu territory and built the city of Iwakuni on the Southern edge of the island. Miyoshi Nagayoshi figured there was no way that city would last long, but he would be proven wrong.

The one minor victory the Ryuzoji came away with that month was when one of their Caravels sank an attacking Hojo Caravel.

The Takeda Workers finished work on their road on the Iron mountain in May, to the great joy of the Miyoshi. Also to their joy, all three groups were in Miyoshi territory still... which meant all three were easy pickings for Miyoshi Ninja in July. 3 more slave worker groups added to the Miyoshi's at this point rather large group of them.

The remainder of the year didn't see all that much happen, but there were a few highlights. In August, the Miyoshi witnessed several groups of Tokugawa Samurai Archers attack a lone group of Hojo Yamabushi. The first three attacks were relatively unsuccessful- the first Archer group all perished in the attempt, the second was realtively succesful, damaging the Yamabushi heavily with their arrows, but the Yamabushi were able to escape into the mountains on the Tokugawa-Imagawa border, were they were strong enough to wipe out the third group of attacking Archers. A 4th finally brought them all down, but it took quite a lot of Tokugawa Archers to kill just that one unit.

In November, the ongoing Ryuzoji-Chosokabe naval battles saw one Ryuzoji Caravel sink, and the Urakami signed peace with the Ichijo, ending another war between somewhat close neighbors on different islands. The Miyoshi weren't sure if the two ever actually fought, with both having plenty of other enemies.

The Miyoshi finally saw some action of their own again in January of 1541: A Ninja appeared inside their Western border, near Himeji, presumably sent there by either the Urakami or the Mori. Whichever it was, it wouldn't last long: They were killed by a unit of Miyoshi Arquebusiers.

But there were more were that came from: Another attacked them in February, and while they killed that one, a third attacked them again much later in the month and killed them. Based on the timing, it seems likely the first was employed by the Urakami, the second by the Mori.

The Tokugawa battled with the Chosokabe on the sea East of Miyoshi territory, with both sides losing one Caravel. The Tokugawa did a bit better on land, where their heavily damaged Archer unit that fought Hojo Yamabushi earlier was attacked by more Hojo Yamabushi, and the Archers held off the attack and killed all the Yamabushi.

The Miyoshi vowed not to let the deaths of their Arquebusiers near Himeji go unpunished, and in April, a unit of Mounted Samurai killed the Ninja that had killed them.

May saw the end of the war between the Ryuzoji and Urakami that perhaps had never meant all that much between the two of them, but had meant the Ryuzoji had signed tons of alliances against the Urakami to get others to fight them.

The Mogami and Mori both declared war on the Takeda, at the urging of the Ichijo and Uesugi. The Mori declaring war even had immediate impact, as the Mori for some reason had a unit of Yamabushi near the Takeda city of Yokahama, and it was able to kill some Takeda worker groups.

The Tokugawa and Hojo did battle in the seas East of Miyoshi territory later that month, with the Hojo winning most of them- 3 Tokugawa Caravels lay at the bottom of the sea, with only 1 Hojo Caravel sinking.

In June, the Miyoshi finished work on another longtime project of theirs, developing Medicine that would help their troops heal in enemy territory, which might be helpful if they ever found themselves needing to besiege a city like Nagoya again.

With this completed, and a lot of roads through mountains built in former Saito and Oda territory, the Miyoshi were now in a fairly strong position. A position, in fact, that made the Tokugawa look like a rather... interesting target, particularly the city of Komagane. Taking it and its Jade and Saltpeter could permanently take away a potential source of Ninja from attacking them, and make their supplies of Saltpeter less dependent on one source on an island.

Recognizing it might help to size up the city's defenses a bit, the Miyoshi investigated the city in July, taking careful note of its defenses. They seemed in luck: Only 3 units of Yamabushi defended the city, but a 4th was about to be finished. If they wanted to attack, now would be the best time to do it, before they had time to finish strengthening their defenses.

Or, if not absolutely right now, very soon. The Miyoshi figured they wanted to do one more thing first: plant a Spy in Hamamatsu, to get them even more information on the Tokugawa's military capabilities.

They failed. In fact, they failed so hard that the Tokugawa decided to save them the trouble of starting the war, and started it themselves.

Well, time to put their new knowledge of Komagane's defenses to good use.

But first they had other battles to fight- they wanted to make sure the Tokugawa Samurai Archers they could see couldn't harm them. The recently-built Arquebusier Army took care of one unit near the former Oda city of Seto, and in the same area the Mounted Samurai Army killed two more Archer units.

The Miyoshi had a bit more trouble dealing with a Samurai Archer unit near the Takeda city of Yokohama, with it forcing an attacking Mounted Samurai unit to retreat and killing a unit of attacking Arquebusiers, but it finally succumbed to another Arquebusier unit.

With the Tokugawa's offensive capabilities handled pre-emptively, it was time to get to work on Komagane. Given the heavily mountainous terrain around the city, only Ninja could move fast enough to attack it this month, but even if they couldn't directly attack, Cannons and Arquebusiers could provide support by firing upon the city from afar. Though they couldn't damage the Yamabushi all that much, it was still enough, combined with the huge numbers advantage the Miyoshi held. Though 3 of the 6 Ninja that sneakily and speedily ran through the mountains to the city were killed by the defending Yamabushi, they couldn't fight off all of them, and the remaining 3 Ninja killed all 3 Yamabushi units. The city now belonged to the Miyoshi.

A bit to the Southwest, the Urakami Samurai Warriors had nearly finished trekking through Miyoshi territory. Since the Urakami and Miyoshi now had a common enemy in the Tokugawa, the Miyoshi finally decided to let them pass through if that was who they were on their way to fight- making sure to tie the agreement to the two of them still fighting the Tokugawa. And a hefty sum of money and an Urakami map, of course.

The new alliance would pay immediate dividends. The Tokugawa attempted a pitiful counterattack in August, sending a unit of Ashigaru towards the Miyoshi-Tokugawa border, and a unit of Yamabushi well into Miyoshi territory, to a mountain between Ueno and Komagane. The Urakami immediately attacked these with their Samurai, killing the Ashigaru effortlessly. They had a bit more trouble with the Yamabushi, though, with two units of Urakami Samurai Warriors perishing in the attempt, though they did do quite a bit of damage to the Yamabushi.

In addition to that, the Tokugawa also sank a Mogami Caravel with one of their own in the sea to the North (what the Tokugawa were doing there was anyone's guess) and retreated some of their Samurai Archers from Imagawa territory into their own, though they would never be able to get anywhere fast enough to make a difference.

The Takeda, clearly upset about the Mori killing their workers, decided to get an ally in fighting them. The one they chose was, for some reason, the Date, who were on the exact opposite side of Honshu. Not the best choice for an ally. Deciding that wasn't enough, they also attacked the Mori Yamabushi with their Samurai, damaging it enough to make it retreat into the mountains in Imagawa territory.

Well, at least, what was Imagawa territory at the time. It did not remain so for more than a few days.

Because after that, thanks to the Hojo, there no longer was such a thing as "Imagawa territory."

They had overcome the defenders of the capital city of Fuji, killed Daimyo Imagawa Yoshimoto, and burned the city to the ground.

It had been somewhat impressive that the Imagawa had held out against so many enemies for so long despite their territory consisting of just a single city and the land immediately around it, but it was only a matter of time before they finally died.

Deciding that the damaged Tokugawa Yamabushi couldn't be allowed to keep running through their territory and damage things, the Miyoshi Arquebusiers fired on them in October. The Yamabushi were able to run away from the first unit that attacked them, but not the second.

They also decided that dealing with the remaining Tokugawa Archers coming out of former Imagawa territory was a priority with the Archers must stronger attacking than defending, and so another unit of Arquebusiers opened fire upon them. Despite the advantage the Archers held from occupying a mountain, they were not nearly as strong as the Arquesbusiers' bullets.

That dealt with, the Miyoshi's large armies charged towards Seto. The two units of Yamabushi defending the city were no match for Saotome's Army and their huge number of Arquebuses. All that remained after that was a unit of Samurai Archers that had been damaged from earlier battles with the Hojo, and it was no match for the attacking Mounted Samurai Army. The Mounted Samurai Army even had enough time and strength left to go destroy another Samurai Archer unit to the Northeast of the city.

There was still 1 retreating Tokugawa Archer unit left to attack in November, but nowhere close to Seto, they decided instead to attack the nearby Miyoshi Arquebusier unit in the mountains on what used to be the Tokugawa-Imagawa border. A rather poor decision, ending with all the Archers shot to death, but on the other hand going towards Seto would have just seen them get destroyed the following year anyway.

The rapid pace by which the Miyoshi had advanced in 1541 in capturing Komagane and Seto slowed somewhat in January of 1542, but that was mainly just that now it was taking them a significant amount of time to actually reach Hamamatsu and Nakatsugawa, and Hamamatsu would surely be defended far too well to attack with anything less than a massive, overwhelming force. The armies headed to the farther away Nakatsugawa, while Mounted Samurai and Arquebusiers approached Hamamatsu.

The Tokugawa decided to try to fight back against the Miyoshi now largely surrounding Hamamatsu in February, attacking the Mounted Samurai with their Archers. This didn't work out to well for them- they forced one Mounted Samurai unit to retreat but didn't kill them, and lost another attacking Archer unit trying to kill another Mounted Samurai unit.

The Miyoshi also learned they might have some new friends in fighting the Tokugawa. While they did lose a potential ally in the Date when they signed peace, that didn't really matter considering how far away the Date were from the Tokugawa. They were much happier at the Tokugawa declaring war on the Takeda at the request of the Ichijo than they were sad at the Date ending their war. It might not matter if they killed the Tokugawa fast enough, but more allies in fighting them couldn't hurt.

Then, in perhaps bigger news: The Uesugi got the Mori to declare war on the Urakami.

The close proximity and previous fighting between the Miyoshi's two Western neighbors on Honshu could easily turn into some major conflict. And indeed, it saw at least one battle almost immediately: The Mori captured the city of Ube in Western Urakami territory, a city that the Urakami had taken from the Mori the last time they fought but now belonged to the Mori again.

Given all the continued news of ongoing war, the Miyoshi figured it was a pretty easy decision to not hold War Council elections again in March.

For example: The continuing war between the Miyoshi and Tokugawa. The Miyoshi armies finally reached Nakatsugawa in April, and as with the last few battles they were involved in, the Tokugawa could do nothing at all against them. Saotome's Army and the Mounted Samurai Army effortlessly killed all three units of Yamabushi defending the city.

It had been less than a year since the war started, and already the Miyoshi had taken nearly all of the Tokugawa's territory. They now had only the capital of Hamamatsu and the isolated city of Shizuoka to the East, which surely would not last long if the Hojo were trying at all to do something about them (though, that said, it had been rebuilt there quite a while ago and the Hojo still hadn't managed to destroy it)

Hamamatsu, however, would be a much tougher nut to crack. Cannons firing on the city showed the Miyoshi that at least 4 Yamabushi units defended it, probably several more. It was also much bigger than Nagoya ever was, and given all of its access to food in the sea, almost impossible to starve out to a reasonable size. They'd perhaps have more success if Ninja could sneak past them, but their Ninja weren't in range of Hamamatsu- not yet, at least.

The Tokugawa rather foolishly responded to this by sending out three units of Ashigaru to attack in May- only they didn't actually attack anything in specific, just headed out, one Northwest and two Northeast, with no apparent destination in mind. Wherever they were going, they wouldn't get there- Urakami Samurai Warriors killed the Western unit that month, and the Miyoshi Mounted Samurai Army killed the Eastern two in July.

Before that, there was the usual news of wars starting and ending. As usual, most didn't matter- the Tokugawa and Chosokabe signing peace, the Uesugi and Ichijo signing peace, and the Takeda getting the Chosokabe to declare war on the Mogami were all examples of that.

But some pretty clearly did: The Chosokabe also declared another war at the urging of the Date- on their neighbors, the Ichijo. To the best of the Miyoshi's knowledge, they couldn't recall the two Shikoku clans ever fighting each other, but now they were. Was hard to say which one was stronger, but the Ichijo having the Ryuzoji on their side had to help- especially with the other major diplomatic news being that the Ryuzoji stopped fighting their other close neighbor across the water on Honshu, the Mori. Rather shockingly, since they hadn't destroyed Iwakuni in the past two years, that meant they were going to allow it to continue existing there. The Miyoshi doubted that would be the case forever, but just the fact that they were allowing the city to live at all was a bit of a shock.

There was still a lot of chaos and seeming randomness to all the ongoing wars, but some of them were starting to fall into two groups of allies fighting wars against each other: One, consisting of the Ryuzoji, Ichijo, Mogami, and Mori, and another, consisting of the Takeda, Date, Chosokabe, and Urakami. Most members of the two alliances weren't at war with all 4 of the other (only the Date and Mogami were, in fact), but most were at least at war with 3 out of 4 of the opposing alliance. The remaining 4 clans found themselves fighting either members of both alliances (in the case of the Hojo, who fought the Ichijo and Ryuzoji but also the Date, and the Tokugawa and Uesugi, were together in fighting the Takeda, Urakami, and Mogami), or neither, in the case of the Miyoshi.

By contrast to the Ryuzoji's mercy towards the Mori, the Miyoshi had no intention at all of allowing the Tokugawa to live for anywhere near that much longer.

In July, they again shelled Hamamatsu, again showing that it was very well defended, probably too well for their Cannons and Arquebusiers to make much of a difference. In that case, perhaps Ninja could do the trick. The first one to sneak into the city attacked mainly to see what the weakest defenders were. What they saw was lots and lots of Yamabushi, 4 units of Archers, and 1 even of Ashigaru.

The Miyoshi thought about just directly attacking Tokugawa Ieyasu and hoping to end it immediately, but they didn't think they had quite enough Ninja to be sure of that working. Perhaps it would be better, then, to kill the Samurai Archers, both because they were weaker defenders than the Yamabushi and because if not dealt with they could assist the Yamabushi or Tokugawa Ieyasu in battle. The Miyoshi had 4 Ninja to attack with and the Tokugawa 4 units of Archers to defend with, so that seemed like an even fight.

It ended up being almost exactly even: The Tokugawa lost 2 of their Archer units in the ensuing battle, but the Ninja also lost 2 of their own, with the remaining 2 who survived surviving only just barely.

They'd need to do a lot better than that if they wanted to take Hamamatsu and finish the Tokugawa off.

Still, it was only a matter of time. The Tokugawa were heavily outnumbered and the Miyoshi were only going to get more Ninja ready to attack with. It would only be a matter of time before Tokugawa Ieyasu perished at the blade of a Ninja.

And once that happened, the only question was who the next target would be.

I've got another update coming up fairly soon, and hoping I can keep the fast update pace I've had recently and keep giving more updates after that. Right now I've got a combination of time and ability to focus on this that I haven't had in a really long time, and I hope that lasts.

Would definitely help with the focusing part to keep getting more likes and comments on the updates so I know people still care about me playing this and writing them!

Chapter 65: Turning Back West

The Miyoshi hoped Hamamatsu wasn't going to hold out too much longer, but given what they knew about the combat strength of Daimyos, they'd have to at least kill anything that could support Tokugawa Ieyasu with defensive bombardment, and have plenty of Ninja to attack him with. Failing that, they could just use their conventional forces to kill everything in the city. Whatever happened, though, it was probably going to take some time.

The Hojo and Date signed a peace treaty in August of 1542. It likely didn't mean much for their likelihood of actual combat, but it did mean the Hojo were more clearly on one side of the loose alliances- one mainly in the Southwest, between the Ryuzoji, Ichijo, Mori, and Mogami, and one mainly in the Northeast, between the Urakami, Chosokabe, Takeda, Date, and now Hojo. Most of the two alliances weren't at war with every member of the opposing alliance- some were at war with as few as two of the opposite alliance- but with the Hojo and Date at peace now nobody was fighting anyone in the same alliance. The Uesugi and Tokugawa were at war with members of both alliances, and the Miyoshi at war with only the Tokugawa, and nobody else. The Uesugi and Tokugawa had several enemies in common (the Takeda, Urakami, and Mogami), enough so that they could be said to be an alliance of their own, but the Tokugawa also fought the Miyoshi and Hojo, who both weren't fighting the Uesugi.

In what at first looked like a victory for the Northeastern alliance, the Mori city of Iwakuni was destroyed that month. Except... that was their city on Kyushu, which only the Urakami would have been able to easily get to. And based on the timing of when it was destroyed, it seemed like it must have been the Ryuzoji acting to destroy it. But... how? They weren't at war anymore. Could Ninja have been responsible, like they were responsible for destroying the Shimazu?

The Miyoshi weren't sure if Ninja could even take cities when not at war, they'd have to answer that question later.

The Hojo resettled the area around the ruins of Fuji, building the city of Shirakawa. The Miyoshi were slightly disappointed, hoping they could have gotten there themselves, but they didn't really have a chance to. Oh well, there was still some underutilized gaps in the territory that used to belong to the Tokugawa or Imagawa that the Hojo and Takeda still weren't settling in, but they'd be happy to once they got around to it.

The Miyoshi weren't able to make much of a dent in the defenses of Hamamatsu in October- it just had too many Yamabushi. They decided it would be best to just wait a bit and get some more Ninja ready before attacking the city again.

Thankfully, the Tokugawa decided to help out a bit by sending a recently-built unit of Samurai Archers out of the city in November. The Miyoshi weren't sure where they were going, but the fact that they moved out meant that Hamamatsu was now weaker, and the Archers would be easy to pick off outside of the city, and they were glad for both of those things.

Perhaps they intended to fight the Hojo, who were having more success in getting past the defenses of Tokugawa cities than the Miyoshi were, burning the recently-built Shizuoka that month. The Tokugawa now had only their capital remaining under their control.

In January, 1543, the Miyoshi felt in slightly better position to attack Hamamatsu, and sent 3 Ninja to the city to take out the rest of the Samurai Archers. Sadly, this didn't work out too well- the Ninja only killed one Archer unit, at the cost of 2 of their own number. The Miyoshi evened the score out by having Saotome's Army kill the Archers that had left the city two months earlier, but they wished they could have had a bit more success in killing the ones defending Hamamatsu.

In February, a unit of Hojo Yamabushi ran from the east to Hamamatsu, and destroyed the roads to the Furs outside the city. The Miyoshi found this mildly annoying- the Hojo were now blocking one of the quickest ways Saotome's Army could have used to reach Hamamatsu, and if they were going to try to help in attacking the city, they could at least send a real attacking force, not just some pillaging Yamabushi.

The Chosokabe and Ryuzoji signed peace that month, ending a war that had once again seen the Chosokabe lose a city to the Ryuzoji in an invasion, and once again seen them emerge with the same number of cities as they started with- last time because they rebuilt a destroyed city, this time because they retook a captured one. As strong as the Ryuzoji had been at taking control of their own island, they were having significant trouble gaining a foothold on any others, which had to be a good thing- they'd likely be much stronger than they were if they also controlled territory on Honshu and Shikoku.

The Miyoshi again tried to kill the Archers defending Hamamatsu with Ninja in April. They continued having a mix of success and failure, with the Ninja killing another Archer unit, but again losing 1 Ninja in the process. The Miyoshi weren't happy with how this was going at all- Ninja were more expensive to train than Samurai Archers, so losing 1 Ninja to kill 1 Archer was a pretty bad trade to be making.

If Ninja weren't working, maybe their armies would- they'd have to kill lots of Yamabushi, but oh well, so be it. Saotome's Army was holding back a bit, ready to take back Nakatsugawa if it decided to revolt, but the Mounted Samurai Army was more than ready to attack Hamamatsu, and so it killed two of the units of Yamabushi defending the city. Only something like 6 to go, and that would be it.

The remainder of the Miyoshi force decided to spread out and occupy all of the farmland surrounding the city in the hopes of starving it out a bit, though given the food the city could get from the ocean and the immense size it already had, that would likely be quite difficult to achieve.

If the Hojo had any intention of sending their military to help out at Hamamatsu, they sure weren't showing it- they just seemed more interested in resettling the cities they'd destroyed, building a city in the rubble that used to be Shizuoka, and before that, Shimada. The Mori also seemed to like this "rebuild near other people's destroyed cities" idea, and built a city on an island in the far West, the island that had once held cities belonging to the Matsunaga, Otomo, and Oda, all of which had disappeared into dust when those clans' Daimyos had been killed in battle.

Also in May, the Takeda took several steps towards ending the many wars they were in, signing peace with their immediate neighbors, the Uesugi, and their not-at-all neighbors, the Ichijo.

Despite having been at war with each other for quite a while, the Takeda and Uesugi had never done any significant damage to each other, never taking any of the other's cities. Perhaps they were just too evenly matched to do anything, as both were known to be quite strong militarily.

In July, the Miyoshi continued their Ninja attacks on the Archers in Hamamatsu, and as usual, traded casualties at a one for one rate: One Miyoshi Ninja died, and One Tokugawa Archer unit also died.

But that also meant there were no Tokugawa Archers left in Hamamatsu, and the earlier deaths of their Yamabushi meant that there were now a small enough number of units left in the city that the Miyoshi's every-three-months bombardment of the city could do some real damage to them, bringing every remaining Yamabushi unit below maximum combat strength. Not far below it, but a little below would have to do.

They'd used several Arquebusier units in the bombardment, though, only one remaining to attack. But one was enough to kill 1 unit of Yamabushi. Sadly, after that, the Miyoshi pressed their luck a bit by attacking with the weaker Mounted Samurai- and 2 Mounted Samurai attacking units succeeded only in strengthening the Yamabushi even more through the experience of killing one of them while the other unit escaped barely with their lives. The Miyoshi decided at this point that further attacks would be foolish, and they'd wait for their bombardment to do a bit more damage in a few months, and perhaps wait for their armies to get in better position and health to attack.

August brought news that the Miyoshi mostly didn't care about, but others might- particularly the Mogami, for whom the news was entirely bad. The Uesugi and Urakami signed a peace treaty, leaving the Uesugi at war with nobody except the Mogami- and given that the Uesugi were neighbors to the Mogami, much stronger than them, and that the Mogami were fighting plenty of other wars, that had to be bad for them. For some reason, they decided that would make it a good time to add even more to their list of problems, and they declared war on the Hojo at the request of the Ichijo. The Mogami were now at war with not just their immediate neighbors, the Uesugi and Date, but also all of their neighbors' neighbors, in the Takeda and Hojo. And the Chosokabe and Urakami, just for good measure.

The Miyoshi's bombardment of Hamamatsu in October really didn't do much to the defenders at all- just a few scratches on them. Nonetheless, they were willing to attack, but only with Saotome's recently-arrived army, which killed 2 of the strongest Yamabushi units in the city. Several remained, though, and they weren't willing to risk more Mounted Samurai to not actually harm the Yamabushi much. They could just try sneaking past all of them with their Ninja and killing Tokugawa Ieyasu that way, but they felt that having just 4 Ninja to attack with might not be sufficient to kill a Daimyo. And so they held off on any further attacks.

November saw one more war start between the Southwestern and Northeastern alliances and another end- the Ryuzoji convinced the Mori to declare war on the Hojo, while the Ichijo and Date signed peace. Given their great distances from each other, neither of these likely mattered all that much.

With the previous attacks on Hamamatsu having killed quite a few of its Yamabushi units, the bombardment of the city in January, 1544 actually did a noticeable amount of damage for a change, hitting all of the Yamabushi units in the city with a significant amount of damage- more than enough that the Miyoshi felt like they might actually be able to kill every one of them this month. Their optimism proved correct: Their two armies attacked first, the Mounted Samurai army killing 2 Yamabushi units while Saotome's Army killed a 3rd, and an Arquebusier unit followed by killing the 4th and last Yamabushi unit in the city. All that remained was Ashigaru and Tokugawa Ieyasu himself. The Ashigaru ended up being somewhat troublesome, forcing one unit of Mounted Samurai to retreat, but it could not hold out against a 2nd. Now Tokugawa Ieyasu was all that stood between his clan and destruction.

He would be a rather tough fight for the Miyoshi, though.

But not an insurmountable opponent, by any means. They had 5 Ninja to attack with, and several units of Mounted Samurai left as well.

It was decided that the Ninja should go first.

"If you're trying to be sneaky," said Tokugawa Ieyasu as he saw the group of Ninja approaching, "You're not doing a very good job. At least, I can see you."

Oh well; the Ninja were sort of expecting he could see them, and just hoped they could kill him with their superior numbers.

Said numbers didn't seem to be doing much to help at first, though. With just a few strokes of his sword, Tokugawa Ieyasu was able to cut down 4 of the 5 Ninja to attack him. 2 of them had gotten in a few lucky scratches on him with their kunai, but that hadn't really meant much of anything, because battling them had also just made him stronger. He was, technically, somewhat beat up from the fight so far, but no less tough to kill in terms of the amount of damage it would take to finish him off.

"Give up and get out of here," Tokugawa Ieyasu said to the remaining Ninja. "You couldn't beat me when there were 5 of you, what hope do you alone have? Run away now, or you'll end up looking just like your fallen comrades."

The last Ninja said nothing, and kept right on with his original goal in mind: Kill Tokugawa Ieyasu. He charged, weapon in hand.

"So be it, then, don't say I didn't give you a chance to run."

It was a chance the Ninja wouldn't need. As it turned out, he was a bit tougher, or at least luckier, in battle than the other Ninja were.

Several minutes of battle saw both Ninja and Daimyo land several good hits on each other with their blades, both now injured heavily. Whoever landed the next hit, it would be the last hit. They charged at, and then past each other, and took one last swing at each other.

The Ninja sheathed his weapon, and looked back with a smirk as Tokugawa Ieyasu's head fell off, and shortly thereafter, Hamamatsu burned into a pile of ashes.

With the Tokugawa dead, the Miyoshi had removed one possible source of irritation to the East, in that there was no longer any possibility of being harassed by Tokugawa-hired Ninja. A few built cities in the former Tokugawa lands would further solidify their hold on their conquered territory. And now... they found themselves out of more room to expand into in that direction. There was just the Takeda and Hojo on their borders now, and both while the Miyoshi probably could fight one of them if they had to, it would be more difficult than they really wanted.

And why do that when there were easier targets to the West? Better fight the weaker clans first. Better yet, this could remove the possibility of fighting a two-front war if they could conquer their Western neighbors, at least if they were careful to remain allied to the clans to the East while doing so.

So in April, the Miyoshi decided that as soon as their forces were healed up from the Battle of Hamamatsu, they'd go back to the West, ready to fight an old enemy that the Miyoshi had wanted to conquer a bit more of the last time they'd fought them, but gotten distracted by ending up at war with almost everyone else. They hoped to not run into that particular problem again.

In the meantime, they'd build cities in their newly conquered territory, starting with Wakasa, built on the ruins of Hamamatsu in July.

They also decided to try weakening the defenses of some Urakami cities on the border before actually fighting them, by attacking those cities with Ninja.

It didn't work. Not because the Ninja didn't do well in battle- because it was, for some reason, impossible for the Ninja to actually enter opposing cities in the first place if they weren't at war with who they wanted the Ninja to attack, so the Ninja couldn't actually attack any Urakami cities.

"Wait, what?" was the collective response of the Miyoshi when they realized this. "If Ninja can't do that, how the hell did the Ryuzoji destroy that Mori city while they weren't at war, and how the hell did they kill Daimyo Shimazu Yoshihisa while they weren't at war? It doesn't make any sense."

(Seriously, if anyone knows what's happening here, that would be cool- I also tried having Ninja attack a Takeda city to see if it was some weird Great Wall thing or something, but it seems my Ninja can't attack any AI cities if I'm not at war with them, but somehow the Ryuzoji can attack other AI's cities while they're not at war? How does that work?)

Well, whatever, even if they couldn't attack cities, they could at least take an Urakami worker.

Amusingly, that captured worker was now seen as a Miyoshi unit by the Urakami, who didn't like having Miyoshi units in their territory, so the Miyoshi got a demand from the Urakami that they vacate Urakami territory in August.

The Miyoshi agreed, and were mildly amused when the Urakami couldn't retake the worker with their own Ninja, though they could use their own Ninja to kill the Miyoshi that had taken the worker in the first place. Oh well.

The Urakami also signed peace with the Mogami that month, leaving the Urakami at war with only their immediate neighbors, the Mori. Being at war with fewer clans had to be good for the Mogami, but they had to be more worried about their neighbors than about the far-off Urakami- and for good reason, as the Uesugi captured the city of Yamagata from them. They had just 3 cities under their control now, making them the smallest of the clans now that the Imagawa and Tokugawa had been destroyed.

In October, the Miyoshi complied with the Urakami request to move "their" worker out of Urakami territory and into Miyoshi territory, and also decided they should "help the Urakami out" by killing a Ninja in Urakami territory with one of the Miyoshi's own Ninja. Nevermind that the Ninja belonged to the Urakami in the first place, this was definitely helping them.

In November, the Urakami decided to not learn lessons from the Mori losing their city on Kyushu, and built a city of their own, Aioi, in the same location as Iwakuni's ruins. The Miyoshi figured the Ryuzoji would not let it stand, probably somehow destroying it with Ninja, despite the fact that shouldn't really be possible.

The Mogami finally were able to get some relief from all the wars they were fighting with their neighbors: It appeared the one city they'd lost to the Uesugi was all the Uesugi were interested in taking from them, and so they signed peace.

Now they were only at war with one of their immediate neighbors instead of both, more manageable odds. They were still tiny and weak, though.

The end of this war put the Uesugi in a position that would have seemed rather unlikely for them fairly recently: They were no longer at war with anybody. A big change from when they were fighting over half the other clans in Japan. All too recently, there had been tons of wars going on in a series of chaotic shifting alliances with no real sense to them, everybody fighting somebody, and now, there were two clans at war with nobody in the Miyoshi and Uesugi, both of whom had at one point been fighting at least 9 wars at once. Now it seemed 4 or 5 was the most other clans any single clan was fighting.

The recent decreases in the number of ongoing wars made some wonder if the Miyoshi would hold an actual election for War Council Daimyo in December, but again they refused, saying they thought there was still too much disunion to hold an election but privately knowing they weren't going to hold elections if they weren't sure they could win, and right now they figured they couldn't- but the Hojo, their presumed opponents, potentially could, and the Miyoshi definitely didn't want anyone else winning the Daimyo election.

The ongoing trend of reducing the number of ongoing wars continued in February, 1545, with the Ichijo and Hojo ending a war they probably weren't ever going to seriously fight. This meant the Ichijo were now at war with only their neighbors, the Chosokabe, and the Ichijo could focus a bit more on them as a result, while the Chosokabe were at war with both the Ichijo and Mogami still. That said, the Chosokabe probably weren't focusing much on the Mogami.

In a field near Tsu, on the Miyoshi-Urakami border, a Ninja ran out of Urakami territory and killed a unit of Takeda Yamabushi that had been traveling through. The Miyoshi found this odd, since if the Takeda were going this way, it was probably to fight the Mori, but the Ninja probably belonged to the Urakami- surely they'd want the Takeda's help against the Mori, wouldn't they?

Well, whatever their reasons, the Miyoshi saw little reason to let some Ninja traipse around in their territory, so Saotome's Army, recently arrived from the East, killed the Ninja in April.

Speaking of the East, the Miyoshi built the city of Samani in a somewhat crowded area on what once was the Tokugawa/Imagawa/Oda border, where there was just enough space for a city:

The Mogami's peace treaty with the Uesugi proved to not be enough to get them out of the bind they were in: In May, the Date captured the city of Kitakata from them, leaving them with just 2 cities.

Off the coast of Miyoshi territory to the South, Ryuzoji and Hojo Caravels constantly passed by on their way to presumably try to invade each other. Occasionally they did battle, as they did in May, when a Ryuzoji Caravel fleet attacked a Hojo Caravel fleet, resulting in both sides losing a Caravel.

July saw the moment the Miyoshi had been anticipating for over a year: All their military forces they'd sent West had arrived in Himeji. In just a few months, they'd be ready to attack the Urakami, and finish what they'd started decades ago before having to pause that war to go fight other wars.

In August, the Ryuzoji and Hojo continued to do battle on the seas, with the Hojo losing 1 Caravel in the only battle they fought that month.

The Takeda, presumably irritated that their Yamabushi had been killed on their way to help fight the Mori, decided to just not bother fighting the Mori anymore, and signed peace with them. They'd rather focus on finishing off the Mogami, the only clan the Takeda were now at war with.

In October, the Miyoshi were finally ready for their war with the Urakami to begin. Before starting, they wondered if maybe the Urakami could be convinced to start themselves if the Miyoshi asked the Urakami to leave their territory or else- they had, for a while now, had a unit of Samurai Spearmen slowly moving West that was close to being back in Urakami territory now. To the Miyoshi's slight disappointment, the Urakami just decided to leave.

In that case, they decided to see if planting a spy in Kobe could either give them continued information on the Urakami's deeds while they were at war, or if failing to plant a spy could get the Urakami to declare war like the Tokugawa had. The answer proved no to both: the spy was caught, but the Urakami weren't irritated enough to start a war over this.

"Why has every single one of our spies failed? Can't they do anything right?"

"Oh to hell with it, if the Urakami won't start this war, we will."

And so, the Miyoshi sent a message to the Urakami informing them they were now at war. (But not before seeing, to their great confusion, that they could somehow still ask the Urakami to remove their forces or declare war... even though the Urakami seemingly had no military forces in Miyoshi territory after being asked to leave last time)

The Miyoshi got right to work, first having a unit of Arquebusiers attack the unit of Spearmen that had been kicked out of Miyoshi territory, and kill all of the Spearmen.

Then they shelled Nishiwaki, the city just to the West of the border... and watched with dismay as their cannonballs magically ricocheted off the city walls and destroyed Nishiwaki's Barracks.

"Oh right, the indestructible Great Wall thing. Forgot about that. Well that's annoying..."

Whatever, they didn't need to damage the defenders to kill them, they had too much military force. They decided to start off with a Ninja attack to see if there were weak units that could be killed first. They found the city was defended by only Samurai Spearmen... but also that there were only two units of Samurai Spearmen in the city. The Ninja failed to do more than damage the one it attacked, but knowing Nishiwaki was that weakly defended made things easier. Saotome's Army killed one of the Spearman units, and though the other fought valiantly, forcing a unit of Mounted Samurai to retreat and then killing two more, but the 4th Mounted Samurai unit that attacked was too much for it, and Nishiwaki belonged to the Miyoshi.

The Miyoshi Ninja that hadn't attacked Nishiwaki looked around for another target, and found Kobe to be a compelling one. The city was too big for its walls, making the wall problem they'd encountered at Nishiwaki not an issue, but the bigger problem was that Kobe had far too many military units for shelling the city to do much to them.

They could just try to attack Urakami Munekage and hope their overwhelming numbers advantage would be sufficient to finish him off- but then the rest of the Urakami's cities would disappear, and they wanted to take a few of them first. So they decide to just attack the weakest target in the city: The Urakami's Ninja. With the Ninja being relatively unprepared on defense, even the benefit of some Arquebusiers taking shots at the attacking Miyoshi Ninja wasn't enough to save them, and the Miyoshi Ninja killed the Urakami Ninja with only a few scratches as damage.

Recognizing that conquering the Urakami might take a bit of time, and not wanting to have to split their focus on multiple fronts if the Urakami decided to bring any allies in to help them, the Miyoshi asked the Takeda and Hojo for help in fighting the Urakami. Both were willing to help, either for an expensive gold payment, or for the Miyoshi helping them in their own wars in return- the Takeda wanted the Miyoshi to declare war on the Mogami, and the Hojo wanted the Miyoshi to declare war on the Mori. The Miyoshi were perfectly happy to declare war on those two, since the Mogami were small and weak, and the Mori were who they'd most likely fight next anyway once they were done with the Urakami, so why not just kill both birds with one stone right now?

And so, the Miyoshi-Takeda-Hojo alliance against the Urakami, Mori, and Mogami was signed.

Adding three more clans to the one they were at war with before this definitely wasn't good for the Urakami, and they got more bad piled on top of that in November, when their city of Aioi on Kyushu was destroyed. The Miyoshi assume, based on the location and timing, that the Ryuzoji somehow did it with their "I don't have to be at war with you to do this, somehow" Ninjas.

They'd only have more losses in the new year. In January, 1546, the Miyoshi continued advancing West, and reached the city of Kurayoshi, on the Urakami-Mori border. It wasn't much better defended than Nishiwaki was, and after a bit of shelling, it was fairly easy for Saotome's Army to kill the unit of Arquebusiers defending the city, and 2 Ninja then followed up by killing the 2 units of Samurai Spearmen in the city.

The Urakami could only respond to this in February by pulling a unit of Samurai Warriors in Mori territory back into their own territory to try to fight off the Miyoshi invaders- or rather, back into what used to be their territory, but now was Miyoshi territory around Kurayoshi.

The Ryuzoji decided they didn't like the Date that month, and wanted to get someone else to help fight them, going with their longtime allies, the Ichijo. That didn't seem like a particularly great choice given the Ichijo's great distance from the Date, but the Date followed by enlisting the help of a clan much closer to the Date: The Hojo, who had fairly recently been fighting the Date, declared war on them at the request of the Ichijo, who they'd also been fighting until fairly recently. So much for being allies with the Date against the Mogami and Ryuzoji...

The Miyoshi invasion of the Urakami had to slow down a bit in April for their forces to be able to reach more Urakami cities and for them to rest from earlier battles, but they had enough cannons in the West to give heavy damage to the Urakami Samurai that had come near Kurayoshi. They could have tried to finish them off, but decided that could wait until they came back onto flatter ground.

Farther east, they also built the city of Tomakomai, in a gap that used to be the border between the Imagawa, Tokugawa, and Takeda that definitely had room for a city that for some reason none of those three had ever taken advantage of.

There weren't any huge gaps in territory left in the East anymore, but there were a few smaller gaps remaining- just big enough that the Miyoshi could fit a few more cities there, potentially at the expense of taking some territory from the Takeda and Hojo, but the Miyoshi were fine doing that, and neither one seemed to be complaining or even making much use of the territory themselves.

And the Miyoshi had much more pressing things to worry about, anyway.

Like conquering the Urakami and Mori.

Hopefully that wouldn't take too much longer.

Loving all these updates! But knowing the Mori, my favourite civilisation in this scenario, are in your sights, I ask for mercy. How about a naval invasion of Shikoku instead?
Could we also see the victory status screen? I don't remember the % required for Domination, but your glorious empire must be getting close.

Loving all these updates! But knowing the Mori, my favourite civilisation in this scenario, are in your sights, I ask for mercy. How about a naval invasion of Shikoku instead?

Could we also see the victory status screen? I don't remember the % required for Domination, but your glorious empire must be getting close.

I'm at around 20% Land Area, 25% Population right now, with the requirements being 35%/35%. Which means I'll probably have to conquer the Urakami and Mori, and invade Shikoku to get there. :mischief: :evil:

Top Bottom