The cossacks conversion collection

Originally posted by Elsilhe
Unfortunately we just discovered that ALL so far completed units are off-centered. However, Steph and I will be working on this as fast as we can, and it shouldn't take too long.

Sorry about this!

Yes, it was my fault when generating the storyboards. I centered the head of the figure, but it shouldn't be the head...

Steph and Elishe,

These are beautiful units and you are to be applauded for taking the initiative to make them available in Civ3.

I want to help but also want to encourage you to slow down a notch and get the process right. I have tested several of the units converted in the current process and they are 12 to 15% oversized in the game and this should be correctable at the original full color image level before converting to flics.

The image above shows the horse units placed next to the existing cavalary that sets the scale standard.

Also, in color pallet conversion. The current partition process is losing about 50% of the color and dimension depth because 2/3rds of the specialized colors are not being used in the finished unit image. The process that is currently being used virtually excludes successful implementation of civ specific colors even at a future date.

Are the pikes and musket the right size? Because I've just corrected the centering, but not the size. I'm waiting for more testing of the cavalry in game before doing the storyboard, so I can still change the size when I will redo them.

They had already been reduced 10%.

I will correct any size/ centering issue, but I see only the storyboard, so I can't test it in game. I compare the unit size with Flicster on one size, and the screenshots in the other, it's not the more convenient.

For color issue, Elsihe is doing it, so contact him directly for advice in request

I'm just reporting of my progress in converting process.

Steph has done all the pikemen, musketeers and fusiliers from CC1, and a few units of CC2 (Generic Pikeman and Turkish Pikeman).

I've done the flics ready for the pikemen (except Turkish and Generic), and English, French and Swedish musketeers. Other units lay on my desktop! I will continue as soon as I get rid of my sickness.

note: these 'ready' made units are now correctly centered! They will be available as soon as Steph can post them.

You need to edit the English Musketeer/Pikeman post - the d/l link for v1.1 of the Pikemen is incorrect.

Thanks for fixing the files.

Originally posted by zulu9812
You need to edit the English Musketeer/Pikeman post - the d/l link for v1.1 of the Pikemen is incorrect.

Thanks for fixing the files.

I don't know why. The file is there, and yesterday it worked

sorry Steph....
quote:Originally posted by zulu9812

its still not downloadable message as follows.....
The requested URL /uploads4/EnglishPikeman_1_1.zip.zip was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.civfanatics.net Port 80

Hey Steph have resolved the english pikeman download problem?:confused:

OMG...those units are amazing.....

couple of questions :

i dont know pretty the difference between an huassar and a dragoon (on the case of the sweedish units)..could someone please explain it to me? because i dont know if use both of them, choose one or split them on 2 civs?

and...how long until the grenadier? cause i wanna diversify rifleman units..just main curiosity.

thanks

A dragoon is a mix between cavalry and infantry? Originally, they were supposed to fight as well on foot as on horse. Later, they were used mainly as medium / heavy cavalry, with few foot action.

Hussar are light cavalry, reknown for their boldness. They rely more on skirmishing, scoutin and outflanking manoeuvers.

About the Grenadiers : I have had not news from Elsihe for 3 weeks now. I will try to finish them myself, with the palette editing tool Kinboat has posted in the utility forum.

But the first version will have no smoke...

so, basically...you either put them both avaible for a civ..or has to choose one since they'll be practically equal on civ3...or am i wrong?

maybe one replacing knight and other cavalry?

well...dont want to pressure with the units...but they look pretty nice :D

oh..i want to ask : to wich civ those piemonte units and the Bachibouzouk be assigned? i mean, from wich place are they? spain? middle east?....

The Hussar is a more recent unit than knight. I believe this unit start been used in xv, on mercantilism to on.
Knights were from the midle ages.

I believe that you could post they like an upgrade to knight, in gunpowder (nothing to do with the tec, but they are common in the time of the musketmen) 5/3/3. Or better, another unit with 5/2/3.
I use knight as whelled, this unit could be not whelled to increase diference.

Dragoons and cavalry are not supose to be use as same, but are more close to this than hussar and knight.
If you use the regular game stats it will be dificult to made some diference between they two, so, you probably will end using one in the place of other like UU.
Piemonte is in the Italy northwest (turin).
Bachibouzouk is a kind of arab musketsman.
I think is good to Arabia and north african civs.
To babylon and persia, or even others i don't think it's fine.

Luck to put this babes on your game man. Bye.

O.k...thanks for all the clearance....now i want to ask you what kind of work do you have to do to complete the unit? because if you have all images already..i'll be glad to help you on what i can....i'm getting pretty good on paint programs (specially on cut-paste-replace) :D...let me know.

I just checked the Swedish pikeman in flicster, and found a problem. In the East direction the pike goes all the way to the edge. This leaves ghost images at the edge, of where the pike where some frames ago. I think that this will also show up in the game. If you make the frames slightly larger before assembly in flicster, this problem should disappear. I e, keep the pike a few pixels from the edge. To fix this it might be easier to just delete the tip of the pike. I don't know.
It is a problem in the Eastern direction of SwedishPikemanAttack, SwedishPikemanDeath and SwedishPikemanVictory. I don't know, but I suspect that this could be a problem in the other pikeman units also. :(

Attachments

• swedish_pikeman_attack_ghostpike.gif
    swedish_pikeman_attack_ghostpike.gif
    44.1 KB · Views: 532
Top Bottom