The danger of 'less'

It's funny to read this thread in 2022.

After two major expansions and all their patches plus many more civs to play with since release, the game is still... bare.

Don't misunderstand, I like Civ 5 truly. But after playing enough of it you come to see how "samey" every session is. The multiple options to victory are more or less a funny joke as unless you're playing Prince difficulty and below you're basically railroaded in to having to play a domination as the AI just does everything you can do *faster*. Then again, it's important that I point out that I play Huge map size, Marathon pace games so your mileage may certainly vary. But my point is every session like that ends up the same when playing at King or higher; AI expands *just a bit faster* than me. AI both expands AND grows their pop *faster than I can do either*. Despite rushing GL AI ovetakes me in tech by 3, 4, 5, even 6 or more techs (because of their ridiculous pop). AI builds wonders while doing all the other things *faster* than I can build wonders. AI always *just* beats me to Renaissance and then *just* beats me to Forbidden Palace, dominating the World Congress along with allying half the city states to one AI civ, and couping me out of mine almost immediately after making the ally.

Civ 5 devs clearly wanted to railroad players in to playing Domination no matter what. Because when I play for a full 1500 turn Marathon game with just Score as the condition, I always fall to about 4th or 5th place by mid game, and nothing I do gets me back to 1st, making my only option to wipe out the competition.

Every game is the same.

I still play it though, so..........

Top Bottom