The Deity Challenge Line-up #27 - Danemark's challenge

Acken

Deity
There is now a thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

This is a Deity+ difficulty map.

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.
Rules:
Spoiler :

This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

New - For better view please put your results in bold letters so that the person that updates the spreadsheet can quickly see it.

DCL Game #27
You: Danemark
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Pangea

Difficulty:
Spoiler :
Very hard

Starting Location:
Spoiler :

Settings: Quick combat/movement (turn it back on if you would like)
Everything else is set to default.
Game Version - 1.0.3.276
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Schedule
Spoiler :

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangea
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangea
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Continents
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangea

I hope you all enjoy the map!

Please note that maps you wish to share MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. I suggest you disable these map DLCs on steam directly. Steam will uninstall them, just reactivate them when you need them. Thanks.

Attachments

• DCL #27 - Danemark.Civ5Save
    823.7 KB · Views: 267
Extra information:
Spoiler :
The AI have been given a set of extra bonus making this at least 1 difficulty above Deity. Expect wonders to go like crazy and early advanced units as when you went from immortal to deity.

On the other hand your start is great and the surroundings are decent and you can probably turtle your way to a science victory (without wasting too much time !!). Those attempting domination and culture will be challenged like never before in BNW.

Diplo should be rather simple as always.

Good luck.

There is also now a thread to voice your opinion about the deity challenges:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

Cheers for the map. Interesting starting location and scenario concept.

One thing that could definitely be interesting in this save is to test how future proof the Berserker is.
Spoiler :
If the AI is really going to be that crazy and tech super fast, there is a good chance they will be at gunpowder very early. Luckily though,
Mr Handsfree gains the trusty Berserker quite early and the difference between a normal Longswordsman and a Musketman is usually minor, let alone with a relevant UU. A strong early medieval war could still be quite possible on this map I think. Or alternatively use the Longswordsman to hold the line through the Musket era and take detours through some scientific techs first and come out on top with earlier later units.

I have little experience with Denmark but it seems to me that the challenge for me will be how best to leverage this advantage. What units to build with it and just how well can one hold on to any gains made.

T57 Quit

Spoiler contains reasons for stopping. Don't read unless you've progressed at least as far as I did. I appreciate the experimental nature of these maps, and respect the hard work that Acken's put in, but this one is not for me.

Spoiler :
Sorry, too difficult for me. Any one of the things about this game that have been amended would have been ok in isolation, but taken together this is going to be a bigger step up from Deity than Deity is from Immortal. Probably by a factor of 2 or 3, I'd wager. Not only that but it makes the most likely course of play a skin-of-the-teeth, how-long-can-I-survive turtle game. When you said that people looking to do Domination are gonna struggle, you certainly weren't lying! :D

Welp, I suppose getting licked by turn 70 is likelier now innit. I hope I'll have some time to play it out

Started playing this map,saw t21 swordsman from Oda :D but we are slowly catching up,got t161 ST,but Assurbanipal is really scary ,and he took PT too(while being the tech leader:o) since DomV was out of the q from the beginning for me,peacefull was the only option,will probably try to go diploV,since i do not want to try a science game(i'd struggle alot,even though i got ST at a decent time,my cities are not that big,and i have 5 of them)..well it is far from over but we'll see,certainly a very difficult challenge i must say!

T57 Quit

Spoiler contains reasons for stopping. Don't read unless you've progressed at least as far as I did. I appreciate the experimental nature of these maps, and respect the hard work that Acken's put in, but this one is not for me.

Spoiler :
Sorry, too difficult for me. Any one of the things about this game that have been amended would have been ok in isolation, but taken together this is going to be a bigger step up from Deity than Deity is from Immortal. Probably by a factor of 2 or 3, I'd wager. Not only that but it makes the most likely course of play a skin-of-the-teeth, how-long-can-I-survive turtle game. When you said that people looking to do Domination are gonna struggle, you certainly weren't lying! :D

Note that this is also a bit experimental. I'd still be interested to see how far you go and what was too much for you.

Spoiler :
Very hard
difficulty looks very interesting.

I will play this one only don't know when.

Note that this is also a bit experimental. I'd still be interested to see how far you go and what was too much for you.

I'll send you a PM

Ok,i've actually finished this one with a SV(on t291),my first order SV,had to take it or i'd be very dead,since Paccha took it,and he was the strongest through the entire game(tho Assyria had the biggest empire-killed Cathy before t 60 xD)and also he was a good friend to me ,i even paid him to backstab Paccha :D,ended with too many scientists in the end,almost researched the whole tree xD,had all needed techs in the 260s,but culture was abysmal(never got to t3 in order..five year plan got there rather late..)

Only good thing was i was able to rush buy 2 Spaceship factories in my sattelites,which actually helped,though the cities were still very low on prod,in the end i got double dow'ed from Sejong and Harun(who was on the other end of the world,actually didn't send a single unit) but Sejong attacked with his whole army ,but he didn't doo anything,he actually gave my Missile Cruiser 3 cargos,which was sweet and with a loan from Paccha i bought 2 more X-com's,and made 3 more so he had 0 chance at doing anything,tho he did kill my two cs's(RIP Cahokia and Kabul :( )

Sole two wonders i've built were Neuschwenstein and HST(Assyria took PT 3 turns b4 me on t 150 or smthing like that)Indeed this was a much harder game than other challenges,though probably not that much since i took the easiest route to victory(SV)i actually don't think i could have ever won CV or DomV on this map..
Also shoutout to the real pros here - Please make an LP with DomV i'd be in eternal gratitude ! :)

Enough of talking,pics will show much more!

Thanks again Monsieur Acken,and cheers!

@Nikola K
Spoiler :
In my autoplays Catherine had won a SV on turn 270 the first time and a CV on turn 323 so it seems there's a lot of variance depending on what path the AI choses.

@Acken
Well,yeah that is kinda to be excpected..Altough i do not know what do you mean by your 'autoplay' ?Since when you play ,and can interfere with the Ai's,you definetly can abuse the diplomacy,influence their choices etc..And actually sway them abit from any of those paths they choose,pay Assyria to war his DOF inca for example (1 iron 2 horses 6 gpt..in info era xD) so yeah,no doubts given the resources any of them could've won ages be4 me as a human,still they did not.;)

PS:Makes me sad though that Sejong's AI actually rarely becomes monstrous(which he can IMO )..atleast in my games(he even had freedom this time and lagged 6 +techs,tho he did kill Oda in the industrial era..)

So far surprisingly good :lol:

nobody attacked me, I have 2 DoFs and 2 RAs going, it kind of forced me to dial my game up a bit, I think this is the earliest schools I ever had. Education 109 because I detoured for Optics and Construction. Would have been around 104. ST about 155

Also, not sure if a bug, but a random CS worker appeared in front of my border on turn 5. Don't mind if I take him then :D

Spoiler :

Cathy got eaten up, I suppose she was a bit slow to develop because someone stole two of her workers... now Ashur is the bad guy, I think he got triple dogpiled and for a reason, he's stomping everyone

Attachments

• vikings.jpg
    vikings.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 545
t132
Spoiler :

Lost pt ;) (t167 actually)
Spoiler :

Launch
Spoiler :

Social policies
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

We have technology ! :D
Spoiler :

Demos
Spoiler :

PS:Forgot to mention,had 6 Ra's total,and they were beastly(Particle Physics was 12 turns,and when my RA with paccha ended it was 3 turns so basically 8ish k beakers,never had such strong beakers from RA,even without PT..so yeah,could've probably gotten 2 less Scientists easily,but culture was nowhere to be found,even with 2 allied Cstates or i'd engi those alluminium bad boys ^^

Thanks again for the fun map!:)

This just refers as to how I sometime test the maps to see in which direction they can go. There is a function in the toolkit to put the game on autoplay and just be an observer.

Thought so.Still i believe it is rather different when a human is actually in the game since Cathy will never be able to launch on t270 if you as a player have something to say about it :D

@Stormtrooper412
Interesting city placement,i always like to see screenshots from other people games,don't think i'd be comfortable with a city where yours is (RIbe) really aggressive settling,i like it though:)

I also found that free worker ,wasn't sure what he was doing there,but i took it anyways :D

That's what i also thought to myself,but still as i've actually once managedd to capture a CS's settler (lol),i was not sure 100% ,it's a crazy world out there ..

@Stormtrooper412
Interesting city placement,i always like to see screenshots from other people games,don't think i'd be comfortable with a city where yours is (RIbe) really aggressive settling,i like it though:)

I also found that free worker ,wasn't sure what he was doing there,but i took it anyways :D

Two words: river + mountain. I saw it was on *claimed* land a bit late but nobody complained yet. As you can see, I piled all of my military there so that nobody can get any funny ideas :D

I like my chances very much, Scholars in Residence just got passed so I might see this one finish in 250 ;)

Top Bottom