The district system

Districts sound interesting.

Only lets hope they don't try to pull a Rome 2: Total War. Capital of the Empire should be able to have more then 5 buildings... be crushed for space.

Also, let us build more then one of each building (depending on the building). For example, a city on the coast, with a river, island city, etc, can build several ports, resulting in a massive naval city.

Thus far the previews mention that the position of the District affects the bonuses/outputs of the buildings within it. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the positioning of the district affects the yields of improvements next to it; we would expect a Forge to increase the output of worked Iron tiles in a city, but not necessarily just ones adjacent to the District that contains the Forge.

That's what it sounds like from the descriptions we have.

I meant that if a mine gives 4 hammers, the District Next to it With a workshop increases productin by 50%. In effect the mine will yield 6 hammers after modifiers.....

It seems that proximity affects the boni between improvements and Districts.....

I meant that if a mine gives 4 hammers, the District Next to it With a workshop increases productin by 50%. In effect the mine will yield 6 hammers after modifiers.....

It seems that proximity affects the boni between improvements and Districts.....

I don't think the industry district wit the workshop will need to be next to a mine to buff the mine.

The districts will already need a terrain bonus for themselves. Add more positioning via another proximity bonus would put too much power in the hands of map RNG.

I don't think the industry district wit the workshop will need to be next to a mine to buff the mine.

The districts will already need a terrain bonus for themselves. Add more positioning via another proximity bonus would put too much power in the hands of map RNG.

On the other hand, if done right, it might make the city planning very circumstantial and encourage different approaches to different maps. Which might be cool.

Districts sound interesting.

Only lets hope they don't try to pull a Rome 2: Total War. Capital of the Empire should be able to have more then 5 buildings... be crushed for space.

Also, let us build more then one of each building (depending on the building). For example, a city on the coast, with a river, island city, etc, can build several ports, resulting in a massive naval city.

That would be cool, like building Rotterdam, or Singapore

I've loved the idea of a city having some urban sprawl to it in a Civ game since I saw examples of it in various Civ II scenarios many years ago.

I wana hear more about the actual system of founding and building cities myself. If the 3 tile limit between cities stands you could theoretically cover the entire map with city district tiles. Districts are logically gunna force cities to be spread further apart to maintain a healthy number of tiles to grab yields from and avoid conurbation, unless there's any bonus provided to such a situation arising. Unless we have bigger maps in VI I can see that maintaining the current tendency for smaller empires, by virtue of lack of space

I wana hear more about the actual system of founding and building cities myself. If the 3 tile limit between cities stands you could theoretically cover the entire map with city district tiles. Districts are logically gunna force cities to be spread further apart to maintain a healthy number of tiles to grab yields from and avoid conurbation, unless there's any bonus provided to such a situation arising. Unless we have bigger maps in VI I can see that maintaining the current tendency for smaller empires, by virtue of lack of space
The logic of district placement may change where and when you place cities and how you develop them, but I don't think it will change the spacing of cities, since the city radius is exactly the same as it was in Civ V.

I don't necessarily think so. For one thing, some of them seem to give bonuses for being nearby. Second, you're a bit limited by your own expansion since you'd have to delay building districts while waiting for your borders to expand.

Shouldn't there be penalties for building districts so far away from your city?

It looks like at least some districts get a small bonus for being next to other districts. so that would be an alternative way of encouraging you to keep your "city" clustered together.

Also remember that districts can be pillaged. Buildings might be damaged but the yields are. Having a sprawling district system will be much harder to defend. Even in CiV the AI could swarm your territory. A design goal seems to be to allow attackers to do more damage by pillaging to force defenders out into space.

This is not going to be possible, because you still need to have farms and mines etc. to give food and production to sustain your city. So even if you theoretically could place your cities in a way so that each city had exactly 12 hexes to fill with their 12 districts, that city would not be able to provide food for citizens. Furthermore, since we now have confirmed that farms also give housing, it seems the talk about "neighborhoods" as an improvement in later game to house people (probably takes the place of the trade post/village/town we know from earlier game) seems to be very much a real thing, which again will put limits on how much space we can fill up with districts.

There are 12 types, and it *seems* like you can only have one of each type per city.

I want to know how they are going to prevent a city having two same districtins near each other, are you just going to be able to work only one? I'd say so.

In the demo-reel they showed there was another spot for a Campus (that the other city could work) so if I build one Campus where the Demo-reel built and the other where it had ana dditional adjaceny bonus, both campuses would be within reach of capital city.

What about strategic resources? Will there be hidden strategic resources which will be revealed by a tech? If that is the case, then if a strategic resource appears to be on a tile where previously a district has been build, do you have to rebuild that district or can you move it with all of its buildings?

After studing many screens and reading up on them I wanna add my two cents.

First I really love the idea of the of the districts, they should add alot more thought into planning, just not city building but into war.

But I have two concerns which I think may have been said all ready.

1. If I build a district and 3 eras later a resource pops up where that district is, I have to delete the district?, if so Not sure how I like that. I like choice and gave a take, but to remove something that has been there for many eras would be annoying.

2. This many be updated by release, but I don't like how they look in terms to the city. This may be hard to explain, but they don't look like they are naturally part of the city. I think that if you have a district next to each other and or the city they should be better blended in to give the appearance that they are extended from the city, instead of looking like there are a separate tile.

I want to know how they are going to prevent a city having two same districtins near each other, are you just going to be able to work only one? I'd say so.

In the demo-reel they showed there was another spot for a Campus (that the other city could work) so if I build one Campus where the Demo-reel built and the other where it had ana dditional adjaceny bonus, both campuses would be within reach of capital city.

Well you build the district from within the city, so if your city already has a campus, then they won't let you build another one. And I'm guessing that tile will be locked to the city that built it (so you won't be able to "share" a campus between 2 cities")

Top Bottom