The DLC restrictions are dumb!

Tamed

Warlord
Why can't I use the ones I've purchased if all of my friends don't have them? This must be changed soon, as my money has been WASTED. :(

It makes sense from a business perspective, but it is no fun.
If 1 person out of 6 doesn't have Denmark, we can't play with him?
that really sucks.

that really sucks.

Well, you can play with him...it's just that nobody can choose Denmark even though you bought it.

From what grandad1982 posted I understand he can't be in the team even when no-one chose Denmark. Appartantly the game checks which DLC's were enabled when the game was started up.
Then this person without Denmark can still be in the team, but only when he starts up the game.

But yes, it would be nice if you could disable a DLC by unchecking a button or so. The current situation is a huge obstacle for multiplayer.

From what grandad1982 posted I understand he can't be in the team even when no-one chose Denmark. Appartantly the game checks which DLC's were enabled when the game was started up.
Then this person without Denmark can still be in the team, but only when he starts up the game.

But yes, it would be nice if you could disable a DLC by unchecking a button or so. The current situation is a huge obstacle for multiplayer.

We are talking about live multiplayer here.

that really sucks.

Doesnt it make more business if you let DLC viewable for everyone? Think about it, you get steam rolled by Babylon a bunch of times in MP, you might want to buy it and try it yourself.

The reason is simply a technical one, if DLC was enabled if only one player can use it, all the art and xml assets would have to be transmitted to all the players that do not have it, so that their games could let you see the DLC civs units etc. Given the weak state that the MP code is in right now, it could not hand that.

So their solution was only to enable DLC if everyone has it, and therefore get around the need to transmit the assets.

So we are stuck like this until they fix MP, this is the same reason they do not enable MP mods and custom maps, the games network code just can't handle that right now.

CS

The restriction that bothers me is that the dlc scenarios are not playable in multiplayer. I think that the inca/Spanish and Denmark dlc scenarios would make great mp. Maybe not Mongol though.

Why can't I use the ones I've purchased if all of my friends don't have them? This must be changed soon, as my money has been WASTED. :(

Think about it this way - many people don't want to pay to get extra civs, their lives are complete with the civs that game with the game. Playing against people with DLCs means that they get hit with surprise UA, UU, UB, that they know nothing about.

I have all the DLCs so far... the only DLC I have seen in MP games is Mongolia. The times they were next to me I made sure they didn't live to see Chivalry. The one time Mongolia was ahead the player left the game.

I joined an all-DLC game, and after half of the people picking Babylon, and me picking Babylon, I just left the room.

If you didn't pay for Babylon, I don't think you should lose quickly to a Babylon Bowman rush because you didn't know what the unit was.

The Warhammer 40k Dawn of War franchise handles this extremely well. Players who bought the expansions can play all their expansion races in games with players who only have the basic game. The code restricts players to controlling races they purchased, but they have all the software to fight against every available race. It would be great if CiV worked that way. The host could still limit which ones are allowed if they felt it was imbalanced in any way.

Steam has this ability in theory too, I'm just not sure why Firaxis did not use it. Steam can encrypt assests on a PC that were not purchased so that the art assets are available when you play against a player with DLC civs. This way you don't need to transmit the art in the game it is all on every PC.

The disadvantage is of course that all players have to login and download DLC "patches" so the assets are encrypted on their computers. Perhaps 2K did not want to pay Steam for this extra bandwith used......

CS

what if the person without all the DLCs starts the game? does that "solve" the problem (somewhat) by limiting the civs available in the game to the lowest common denominator?

Top Bottom