The Dragon Age Mod Project

Just a check in, already drawing up the map, just want to make sure I have the city states correct.

Venatori, free marches states, inquisition, wardens.

Also, how's progress on the civs?

Just a check in, already drawing up the map, just want to make sure I have the city states correct.

Venatori, free marches states, inquisition, wardens.

Also, how's progress on the civs?

Looks right to me. If you need, I can send you a file with the custom city-states, though the Wardens and the Inquisition won't have their special traits.

The civs are coming very slowly. I'm trying to reskin all the units for the Dalish, at least the ones prior to the industrial era. Civitar has a bunch of elven unit models, which is awesome, but they look like LOTR elves. I'm trying to make them look Dalish, and it's really tedious.

I've also been working a bit on the techs for the tech tree. Once I have a bit more, I'll post it here and see what you think.

Alright, what do you think of this tech tree so far? (numbers in brackets are prerequisite techs)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ancient
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

1 - Hunting
-Archers
-Camps

2 - Sailing
-Trireme
-Work Boat
-Fishing

3 - Pottery
-Shrine
-Granary

4 - Mining
-Mines
-Quarries

-------------------------------------

5 - Animal Husbandry (1)
-Reveals Horses
-Pastures

6 - Forestry (1+2)
-Clear Forests/Jungles
-Logging Camps

7 - Masonry (2)
-Walls
-Stone Works

8 - Bartering (2+3)
-Caravans
-Trade Ships

9 - Writing (3)
-Library

10 - Bronze Working (3+4)
-Spearmen
-Twins of Kirkwall

11 - The Wheel (4)
-Roads
-Imperial Highway
-Water Wheel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Divine
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

12 Horseback Riding (5)
-Horsemen
-Mounted Archers
-Caravansary

13 Construction (6+7)
-Colosseum
-The Grand Cathedral

14 Places of Worship (7)
-Temples
-Temple of Mythal

15 Diplomacy (8+9)
-Establish Embassy
-Open Borders Agreement

16 Lyrium Smithing (9+10)
-Reveals Lyrium
-Mages

-------------------------------------

17 Optics (6)
-Allows Embarkation
-Lighthouse
-Galley

18 Iron Working (10)
-Reveals Iron
-Swordsman

19 Mathematics (11)
-Catapult
-Courthouse

Glory (Spying begins)

20 Engineering (13)
-Allows building of forts
-Aqueducts

21 Shipwrights (13+17)
-Barque (melee ship)
- +1 production from fishing boats
- +1 additional trade route

22 Drama and Poetry (14+15)
-Writer’s Guild
-Amphitheatre
-National Epic

23 Lyrium Weaving (16+18)
-Templar Swordsman (50% bonus to combat against mages. costs lyrium)
-Circle of Magic (10% production for mage units, +1 production on lyrium tiles.)

24 Trade (19)
-Market
-Trading Posts
- +1 Additional trade route
-Additional trade route range

looks good, I don't think you need any techs that are more 'advanced' than gunpowder.

In fact, I would almost ask to lock techs in at the medeival era.

Hello there.

First of all, I would like to say that as a huge fan of Dragon Age franchise I've been thinking about the idea about DA mod to Civilization V for months. Some time ago I was even trying to wrote down my ideas for fractions and scenario, but I have abandoned it, mostly because I have no idea about creating mods as well as I didn't personally know anyone interested in this kind of modification.

Therefore I would like to congratulate for author his already progress in that matter. To be honest, I had found this topic out just now so I wasn't able to participate in the discussion and perhaps – at least at some point – help in designing Thedas introdution to CIV. As I look on what have you prepared in opening post, for that moment I like most of the ideas (maybe except of concept of Kirkwall as a playable civilization and Antiva leader screen. Please note that is simply my personal opinion). I would need to sit down for a moment and think about the OP but perhaps you would be interested in some kind of widening the project?

What do I mean by that? Well, first of all I have to say that it is something that I was thinking about my own ideas for Dragon Age mod. That means mostly introducing:

1. creating a playable Thedas map (similar to official one)

2. developing a scenario starting in current days of Thedas (c.a. 9:40 Dragon) with 8 playable nations :
• Anderfels
• Antiva
• Ferelden
• Nevarra
• Orlais
• Tevinter Imperium
• Rivain
• Qunari
Free Marches and Orzammar as city-states.

Right now I seriously regret that I hadn't wrote my ideas down earlier. It could somehow be helpful to present my ideas. I don't know if you would be interesting in creating something alternative to your original ideas but who knows?

I don't want to confuse in your thread, so there are for example ideas for three nations I had:

Tevinter Imperium
Spoiler :
leader: Darinius (first Archon and founder of Imperium)
Trait: Na via lerno victoria (what means "only the living know victory" in their language): the gain of magic in Imperium proceeds quicker and every building that generates magic provides additional point of blood magic.

I was imaginating magic and blood magic points working just like faith, the player could spent them to buy magical units like a missionaries in normal Civ game.
Unique building would be something like an imperial circle of Magi's, granting additional happiness and magic (and blood magic) points in city it had been built.

Qunari
Spoiler :
leader: Sten (as the Arishok)

Trait: Unity in Qun: wherever Qunari destroys the opponent unit, the religion pressure on the nearby city grows. The cost of melee units maintenance is reduced by 20%

Ferelden
Spoiler :
leader: Maric Theirin
Trait: Legacy of Calenhad: unhappines is reduced by 20% in un-occupied cities. If city is conquered by an opponent, they resist 50% longer and units of insurgents arise nearby.

As you can see, it's not something ready yet. I would probably need few days to present the assumptions of this scenario. But I will do it if someone would be interested in developing.

As I look on what have you prepared in opening post, for that moment I like most of the ideas (maybe except of concept of Kirkwall as a playable civilization and Antiva leader screen

Kirkwall will be staying it's own civ, but truth be told, I'm not entirely happy with how the Antiva leader image turned out either; at least as far as the background goes. I've been working on trying to fix it, and will be updating the mod with something better once I have it.

Tevinter Imperium
leader: Darinius (first Archon and founder of Imperium)
Trait: Na via lerno victoria (what means "only the living know victory" in their language): the gain of magic in Imperium proceeds quicker and every building that generates magic provides additional point of blood magic.

I was imaginating magic and blood magic points working just like faith, the player could spent them to buy magical units like a missionaries in normal Civ game.
Unique building would be something like an imperial circle of Magi's, granting additional happiness and magic (and blood magic) points in city it had been built.

Two things about that;
1) Archon Thalsian IMO is a much better pick as a leader for the Imperium. Darinius may have been the first Archon, but Thalasian was the one who completely reformed it into the mage-led society it is even today.

2) making magic points, as you said, would be extremely difficult to code. Some total conversion mods have done it, only by replacing either faith or culture, neither of which I want to remove. Creating a strategic resource, like lyrium, is something that is much easier to do.

Qunari
leader: Sten (as the Arishok)

Trait: Unity in Qun: wherever Qunari destroys the opponent unit, the religion pressure on the nearby city grows. The cost of melee units maintenance is reduced by 20%

Definitely an interesting trait. I'll look into seeing if it's possible. However, why would Sten be the Arishok? he hasn't even reached the rank of Karasten. I'd rather stick to things that are confirmed in the series, rather than fan head-cannons.

Im with the Doktor on this one ;)

He's got the right Imperium leader and the Qunari are led by Arishok, just a title, which is what it should be. I would go further and say that the DoM speech should reflect this, by not stating any particular name or identifier.

As for the map/scenario, I'm already working on it to include the civs and city states listed in this thread. Would love to have some help obviously though, conceptually speaking.

I will receive my PC in days and will then begin and finish work on it pretty quickly. I have it all mapped out already.

Question: Does anyone know how to code it so that a single city state owner can have multiple cities? The wardens should have Weisshaupt, Montsimmard, Vigil's Keep, and Ansburg.

Venatori can simply have the one city, something in southern Tevinter. Inquisition will just have Skyhold in the frostbacks. The FM cities will all be one city obviously.

Also, if you're interested in having the Qunari run by the one really pulling the strings, having the leader be the Ariqun would be more accurate.

The Arishok only leads the military.

Also, Kirkwall and Starkhaven should absolutely be playable civs. They are both very much movers and shakers on the global stage, leagues above their cohort free marcher states. In fact, had we not already pushed ourselves to 15 civs, I would have included Tantervale as well.

I've already mentioned the dwarven kingdoms should, in my opinion, be two separate city states, but I am willing to compromise for the good of the mod overall, and if Doktor wants to make the civs that badly, I'm happy to include them on the map.

Oh, Dwarven Kingdoms should have a building similar to eluvians, something like Deep Roads Passage. Essentially the same thing, allows connection to any city with a DRP, but obviously, eluvians and DPRs are not compatible.

Also, if you're interested in having the Qunari run by the one really pulling the strings, having the leader be the Ariqun would be more accurate.

The Arishok only leads the military.

Very true, and definitely something I've debated with myself. However, since the Arishok, at least, one of them, is actually featured in the game, and it's a lot easier to create a leader image from in-game resources than it is to create something from scratch, that weighs on my mind as well.

Also, about your other question; I actually am not sure how to do that for the city-states. I've tried creating my own, unrelated scenarios with the world builder where city-states have more than one city, and it just causes the game to crash.

Oh, and I attached the file for the city-states mod in this message (assuming it works), so that you can use the actual city-states rather than placeholders. The Wardens and the Inquisition haven't been made into their own special kind of city-state yet, unfortunately, but they are in there.

Attachments

• Thedas City-States (v 1).civ5mod
    2.9 KB · Views: 115
Also, Kirkwall and Starkhaven should absolutely be playable civs. They are both very much movers and shakers on the global stage, leagues above their cohort free marcher states. In fact, had we not already pushed ourselves to 15 civs, I would have included Tantervale as well.

Honestly, I did want to include either Tantervale or Ostwick, but there just isn't enough info on them from Bioware's resources to really do so. There isn't even an official heraldry image for them.

thanks for the CS, and fair point on tantervale. Would you please post that on the original post as well so I can find it when my PC comes in? Thanks.

Very good point on Arishok, way easier and quicker to use him, let's do that.

Regarding the wardens, while it would be ideal to have them own all four fortresses I mentioned, it's entirely possible for them to be independent of each other. In practice, they all seem to act pretty unilaterally without much direction from Weisshaupt anyway.

thanks for the CS, and fair point on tantervale. Would you please post that on the original post as well so I can find it when my PC comes in? Thanks.

Very good point on Arishok, way easier and quicker to use him, let's do that.

Regarding the wardens, while it would be ideal to have them own all four fortresses I mentioned, it's entirely possible for them to be independent of each other. In practice, they all seem to act pretty unilaterally without much direction from Weisshaupt anyway.

I'd actually rather not post it in the main post, as it's not really ready yet for the public. Would it work if I sent you a message with the file?

Alright, just a suggestion, do the dwarven kingdoms civ last, I'm not sure how much space I can afford to throw their way on the map, it may end up being most realistic to make them city states, will get back to you, and am going to try to make them work as a civ, just would hate to have you waste time.

If they are to be a civ, I think its imperative that they receive some sort of bonus from mountain tiles (food/production/culture etc).

Alright, just a suggestion, do the dwarven kingdoms civ last, I'm not sure how much space I can afford to throw their way on the map, it may end up being most realistic to make them city states, will get back to you, and am going to try to make them work as a civ, just would hate to have you waste time.

If they are to be a civ, I think its imperative that they receive some sort of bonus from mountain tiles (food/production/culture etc).

I was actually thinking of adding some sort of bonus to mountains in their trait. However, I think that, combined with what's already there would be a little OP without some sort of buff. I'm thinking some sort of negative for flat/jungle/coastal tiles.

It depends if you want it designed for the map I'm making or to work as a basic civ. Personally, I'm never going to use these civs without their TSL so I think setting it up for the map, on which the dwarves will have almost entirely mountain tiles is the way to go, need them however else you like, I think 50% higher unit maintenance would he a good start

Top Bottom