The Earth is round!!!!!! (maybe...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never cared about the movement irregularity. Does that make me unusual?
Well, it makes you suboptimal.

Seriously, if you're not taking advantage of covering almost 50% more territory & exploring more hidden squares in your scouting by traveling in zig-zags instead of straight lines, you're missing an opportunity to eek out more competitive advantage.

Well, it makes you suboptimal.

Seriously, if you're not taking advantage of covering almost 50% more territory & exploring more hidden squares in your scouting by traveling in zig-zags instead of straight lines, you're missing an opportunity to eek out more competitive advantage.

no offense but that does seem a little meta-gameish

From what we've seen of gameplay footage it will be a flat hexagonal map, though yes they could have made ciV on a large globe, would have been cool, they did it on civ Rev, you played on little globes, and I didnt hate that aspect of it. Though civ Rev only had 1 size of world, in ciV they would need to make globe maps work for tiny maps and huge maps, it would look best on huge maps.

There's too much fuss about switching the traditional square grid to hexes, yet, it seems like nobody realized that it could be a hint to a much more awesome change to the gameplay: using hexes, it's possible that we'll play Civ V on a globe, rather than on a flat map :D

Well, actually not with hexes only... We can't make a sphere purely of hexes. According to Euler's theorem, we need exactely 12 pentagons in a grid to bend the surface into a fullerene, a geometric shape that resembles a sphere. Like a soccer ball:

A soccer ball is a fullerene with 60 sides (12 pentagons and 48 hexagons). Take a look at that Wikipedia entry on Euler's Theorem I've showed, as the article is a little bit big, press Ctrl+F to make a search and type "12 pentagons". You'll find out that although the number of pentagons is limited to 12, the number of hexagons is unconstrained!

That might be the reason why we can't see any pentagon in the screenshots, as any playable game would require thousands of hexes. And, of course, if Firaxis is really thinking about using a round map, they could be keeping it as a surprise, so, of course they'd not show us any pentagon.

Indeed, there is a FOSS remake of Civilization for Linux called FreeCiv and it s community of developpers is already working on a fullerene map for future versions of it! Take a look at that screenshot:

Friggin hexagons! Put a few thousands more and from a close up you won't even notice they're on a sphere (as I hope that's the case with those screenshots, I'll be very disapointed if Civ V is played on a regular totally not-awesome flat map.)

This is pretty nice idea. I would really enjoy a strategic game from a google-earth point of view. Final nuclear exchange would be spectacular :D By the way fullerene isn't a geometric shape. Fullerenes are molecules formed of certain number of carbon atoms. What you are referring to are molecules called c60 fullerene. That is fullerene formed of 60 carbon atoms that has a shape of a sphere. You can see it for example here. Still the new map shape is a tremendous idea and I really hope they are working on something like that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom