The empire of Manila

Xiao Xiong

Prince
OK, so Ragusa mistakenly allied itself with England while Manila had correctly allied itself with me. After Elizabeth was sent off into the netherworld, I decided not to make peace with Ragusa, because Manila had them on the ropes. Instead I sent over a few battleships to tip the battle in Manila's favour.

Great.

Spoiler :

But what I don't understand is how Manila got Ecbatana and decided not to raze it? I thought city states always raze cities they capture. So how did that happen?

I honestly wasn't watching that little section of the world while the war was raging.

City-states usually raze other cities unless they have, like SULOMON said, the happiness to keep it or, it's a capital or a holy city, then they are prohibited to raze it.

If it's another CS, a capital, a holy city, or an indonesian spice islander's city with unique luxury, nobody can raze it.

That said, they will also keep them if they have surplus happiness, it helps if the city they capture has a lux or two or is low population. This is also more likely on huge maps bc the base city happiness penalty is just 2 faces instead of 4. In this case, I am unsure why they kept it. I'm adding up possible happiness and they should be in the red. Maybe Ectabana had happiness buildings in it that weren't destroyed. also they may have taken Ectabana before the other CS. I don't think they can choose to raze if they declined upon capture. the AI either. Only the human can choose later.

Yeah they captured Ragusa the turn before the screenshot, they already had Ectabana, they had Ragusa down to half health and I sent a few battleships to knock it down the rest of the way, and they took it. It was because they already had Ectabana that I decided to help them toast Ragusa and create that little empire. I am not sure when they got Ectabana - it might have been small. Persia was doing the infinite city sprawl thing for awhile.

Top Bottom