The English strike their own killing blow

Shylock

Hey smiling strange
I was in the closing days of the war. I already had way more men than England did (it was down to like 4:1 or 3:1) and I was just waiting for them to come make my colony their grave.

I had stationed a Stack of Doom of Militia and Dragoons on a section of land that when taken together looked like an upside down L. There were other stacks of dooms and a city with their own. I had a sea wall going since they liked to attack the city of Virgon (My cities are named after Battlestar Galactica colonies) and had been taken by the British once, but they lost it in the span of a turn. I

At the end of the L there was a forest which had about 5 units in it.

The British threw the last of their REF against that spot. 5 units held up against about 8 regulars, a couple dragoons, and 3 cannons. None of them made it on the beach and no units were lost.

Game over.

Now I can offload all that rum and cigars that I couldn't move during the revolution.

I think you can only trade after independence if you choose it in your constitution.

No, the game defaults to the way the game was before Independence, and I chose the other one for the Constitution. I tried to play on, but the King still kept asking for tribute and raising my taxes. I stopped playing after the second time he asked for tribute.

No, the game defaults to the way the game was before Independence, and I chose the other one for the Constitution. I tried to play on, but the King still kept asking for tribute and raising my taxes. I stopped playing after the second time he asked for tribute.

Sloppy programming... sloppy programming. They must have decided that no one would want to play on after victory. In the same, way, the remnants of the Royal Navy are still infesting your waters, just as in the original game.

Still, having access to Europe is useful during the WoI. You can sell things there and buy fresh soldiers and horses and guns and cannon. It should be possible to talk another colonizing power into closing its territory to the REF, so that its men-of-war can't go into their ports and kill your galleons. You should also be able to load things from your wagons into ships in those ports. Blockade runenrs were very important during the American War of Independece.

The other colonizing powers act as if your king doesn't exist. They don't even have an attitude to him. I think that's another poor piece of programming - or rather lack of it.

Öjevind Lång;7326217 said:
Sloppy programming... sloppy programming. They must have decided that no one would want to play on after victory. In the same, way, the remnants of the Royal Navy are still infesting your waters, just as in the original game.

And just as in history. Perhaps they're warming up for the War of 1812.

And just as in history. Perhaps they're warming up for the War of 1812.

In that case, there should be an additional feature, a war of 1812, and perhaps also a War Between the States. That might add some excitement to the sadly boring mess that Col II, in my opinion, is.

And why the devil does the King not have any kind of diplomatic realions with anyone except you? Dose that make sense? Does that improve the gameplay?

well he's the king, and everyother player are just colonial leaders, kings talk to other kings or their colonial governers basically.

I regret having to say this to you, but that's idiocy. One should at the very least know on what terms the king is with the other European powers and their colonies. Those things were, as I am sure you don't need to be informed, extremely important. In the present form of the game, your king has no relationship at all with anyone except you, which simply does not make any sense - not least after the revolution. You can navigate in the waters of the other colonies whether or not they supportof your DoI - and the REF can chase you there, without having to bother about their relationship top you or their king. That is and remains sheer inanity.

As it is now, you can start wars with the other colonists without bothering about you king - or theirs. Logic?

You may, for example, recall that France Spain, after a few years, supported the American rebels against Britain - don't you?

well yeah but it is the governer's job to interact with other colonies. The king deals with European Powers. Colonies are apart of the Nation so the colonies are just like England per say, and you don't see france having relations with english colonists because to the french the person in charge of the English Colonies is the English King.

well yeah but it is the governer's job to interact with other colonies. The king deals with European Powers. Colonies are apart of the Nation so the colonies are just like England per say, and you don't see france having relations with english colonists because to the french the person in charge of the English Colonies is the English King.

It may be the governor's job to interact with the other colonies on a day-to-dat basis, but obviously, the relations between the various European powers (inlcuding your mother country) should have an impact on your relations with their colonies, and the various kings (including you king) should be in contact with each other. In Col II, you are, to all purposes, independent from Day One except for the obligation to pay taxes. I think that is because the people responsible for the game were too lazy to tweak the diplomatic engine to include your king in the game in the way he was back in Col I - one of the features that made Col I much mror dynamic than the new version.

The idiocy is that, despite your final statement that "to the french the person in charge of the English Colonies is the English King", that's just what the English king is not. He is not involved in any aspect of what happens in the New World, except for taxing you. He can't force you to go to war - he can't stop you from going to war. Nothing.

Top Bottom