The founding fathers

You make some good points on the issues of not including Portugal and to have gold in the form of treasures from lost cities. I’m sure Portugal will be included in a mod shortly after the game is released.

About your modding idea: From what I’ve read, there seems to be a lot more emphasis on forming alliances and on the natives fighting other tribes in the new version, this of course causing the Europeans to get entangled in native conflicts. We’ll see how well this plays out in the game, but it seems like a major improvement.

I heard, somewhat to my disappointment, that they are not going to include random events like we had in BtS. I think their reason for this was that the game requires so much micro-management that it simply would be too much happening if they included it. I’m still hoping for it in a future patch or expansion -- players could always toggle it off it they didn’t want it.

I found this feature to be a great improvement in BtS. Events could be marriages between colonists and natives causing relations to improve, careless frontiersmen causing relations to deteriorate, sudden droughts causing food output to drop (times were, after all, pretty harsh back then). And how about Agueybana I (who believed the Spaniards to be gods) dies and his brother Agueybana II claims the throne, causing a massive change in relations with the Arawaks, and so on.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see. I loved the first Colonization, and I’m really looking forward to the new version.

Final note, I think we’ve made ourselves guilty of derailing this thread from its initial theme :hammer2:, which was the founding fathers. The list has 40 names now, btw. :woohoo:

Does anyone knows how many there will be this time?

For the pictures that came out, I have allready seen:

John Harvard: Free Schollhouse in every settlement (hum... not bad) (? FF)

There are new schoolhouses in Col? Wow. I wonder what exactly they do. This is intriguing.

I think they could have included one or two Portuguese/Brazilian Founding Fathers (Dom Pedro I, for one), and perhaps Johan Printz, the first governor of New Sweden. He was rather autocratic, but the Swedes and Finns on the Delaware got on very well with their Indian neighbours, so he could represent a bonus regarding them. On the other hand, Printz complained in a letter home that many young men in New Sweden ran off to the woods (Swedes and Finns in those days being woodsmen themselves) and joined the Indians, so perhaps Printz should be a negative event. "Johan Printz has joined your colony and annoyed your colonists! Two of them have left their posts and joined the Indians - and they took their tools/muskets/rum with them." Er. Sorry, folks.

On the other hand, the Indians might get drunk on the rum the runaways brought and sign very generous deals with your colony...

From this list, the founding fathers are wieghted towards English and Spanish, a few French, and very few Dutch

sorting list by Nationality

English
Adam Smith
Alexander Hamilton
Betsy Ross
Cyrus McCormick
Eli Whitney
John Harvard
John Smith
Roger Williams
Samuel Adams
Lewis and Clark
Lord Baltimore
Patrick Henry
William Brewster
William Penn
Thomas Hooker

Spanish
Bortolome de la Casas
Diego Velasquez de Cuellar
Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada
Hernan Cortez
Juan de Sepulveda
Juan Ponce de Leon
Juan de Bermudez
Pedro Alvarez Cabral (WHAT?)
Sor Juana
Vasco Nunez de Balboa

French
Giovanni da Verrazzano (Italian in service to French crown)
Gabrielle Lellemant (correct spelling is Gabrielle Lallemant)
Jacques Marquette
Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve
Marquis de la Fayette |

Brazilian / Portuguese
Gregorio de Mattos e Guerra

Dutch or German
Jan de Witt
Alexander von Humboldt (German)

Native
Pocahontas

seems out of balance, given the four Nations represented

CABRAL WAS PORTUGUESE!!! NOT SPANISH!!!

You may be right, but so was the FF from the original version:

Out of the 25 total:

11 were British/American
3 Dutch
1 German
7 Spanish/Portuguese
2 French
1 Native American

Don't mix the water. Or it's Spanish or it's Portuguese.

I don't think the Dutch had much in the way of people like founding fathers, so be happy you even have one.

A lot of those "English" FFs should really be considered American. Something like this was mentioned on a different thread somewhere, where George Washington and John Adams (the two English leaders) are seen as more American than British. I would say that Alexander Hamilton, Betsy Ross, Patrick Henry, and certainly Lewis and Clark (and probably some others) should be in their own category, as Americans. They just don't seem to fit with the rest of the English.

Well, they were born English.

But if the list has a Brazilian/Portuguese category, the English one should be American/English.

Well, they were born English.

That was the point I made in the other thread about Washington and Adams. But it just seems weird to have Lewis and Clark lumped together with the other Englishmen, when their moment of glory took place twenty years after the Revolutionary War. Heck, after the end of the game, even...

CABRAL WAS PORTUGUESE!!! NOT SPANISH!!!

Xenon -- of course you are correct -- sorry for the mistake. Do not have a cow, dude....

As for the English / American 'issue', it is not important, I think. All of the cited FF were English who became American -- That is the point of running statemen, is it not?
But there are some issues in the list.
In additin to the Lewis and Clark...
Adam Smith had nothing to do with the Colonies. Never came to the new world -- should not be in the game
Eli Whitney was not a founding father in America, he was a boy during the Revolution.
Cyrus McCormick was born in 1806, he patents the reaper in 1834. Out of scope to be called a founding father.

These are sloppy inclusions -- getting the chrome correct is the job of the game developer. There are so many Eglish founding fathers to choose from it is silly to have these in the game.

I think for the Natives, they should expand to at least the Northeastern indians. The problem is that the game doesn't cover the 19th C. and most others notable figures were loyalists (e.g. Pro-British) in the revolution.

I guess you could have say Chief Pontiac as a founding father and represent natives uprising that decrease the strength of the motherland's army.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Pontiac

and maybe Chief Shingas as all friendly tribes temporarily levying an indian 'ranger' unit for your use. Perhaps disappearing after 20 turns? But this might duplicate the indian attacks that you can already provoke based on religious affliation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shingas

Hiawatha as the semi-mythical founder of the Iroquois confederation might have a similar effect. Maybe making it easier to provoke indian raids against your enemy? Or giving temporary indian 'ranger' units?

Native
Pocahontas

seems out of balance, given the four Nations represented

Zenon,
I said
"of course you are correct "
"sorry for the mistake"

It was a mistake. You have an apology.
WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?

And, I have sufficient self esteem that if some one compares Canada and the US, I do not whine and cry. (Frankly, I take it as a compliment these days.)

It's like saying USA and Canada are the some and Canada rules over the USA!

It is not like this at all. It was a mistake. Get over it.

To LingLinsRevenge:
There are some things in life you know that you shouldn't do:
Mix Diesel with Fire.
Never give a kniff to a Chinese.
NEVER EVER said to a Portuguese: Portugal is Spain!!! (If you don't want to live, that's your problem)... :D

simple as that...

:lol: ;)

Back to the topic.

Pocahontas? She will have the some effect as on the previous game?

There should be DeLorimier in that game

I think for the Dutch, I'd add this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Hein_(Netherlands)

A successful privateer against the Spanish in the Caribbean and served in the Dutch West Indies Company with the rank of Admiral.

and this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maarten_Tromp

Another Admiral, but of the official fleet.

Both successful in defeating the Spanish and helping to free the Netherlands from Spain's domination. And the Dutch navy was very powerful during a good part of Colonization's time, but declined over multiple wars against the English, across about a century. So they would be good representation of actual history.

I think for the Dutch, I'd add this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Hein_(Netherlands)

A successful privateer against the Spanish in the Caribbean and served in the Dutch West Indies Company with the rank of Admiral.

and this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maarten_Tromp

Another Admiral, but of the official fleet.

Both successful in defeating the Spanish and helping to free the Netherlands from Spain's domination. And the Dutch navy was very powerful during a good part of Colonization's time, but declined over multiple wars against the English, across about a century. So they would be good representation of actual history.

I wouldn't add either Martin Tromp or Piet Heyn - nor Michiel de Ruyter. It would be better to actually get some Dutchmen who had a personnal doing into Colonial efforts. Take for example Zealand's admiral, Evertsen de Jongst, who recaptured New Netherland from the English in 1673... that would be a better choice... Or Killian van Rensselaer who founded the patroonship of Rensselaerwijck around Fort Orange (Albany). Anthony Colve, the last Dutch governor of New Netherland (1673) would also make a better stand than these two early 1600th Century Dutch naval officers...

Needs more French.

Top Bottom