The Germans

Disagree. Reread the definitions of first tier. I almost always play
Germany, but it is definitely NOT first tier. First tier would be strong at the beginning and middle games. Only low difficulty levels last until later games.

PF

The great thing about the Germans is that you can pretty much time the GA to be whenever you want with strategic wonder builds. For example, I got Sun Tzu and was able to build Newton U. to get a late medieval-early industrial GA. In the industrial age switch to commie, and whip-rush libs in your conquered cities. I didn't even get to Panzers in GotM39.

I agree fully with Ision. As Germany you often fall back at the beginning. But in the Industrial Age you come back and crush anything with the Panzer. The Ability of 3 movementpoints is very useful. Without Germany I still use Cavalry to catch enemy workers or destroy resources but the Panzer can do both: Fight well and attack fast.

I like playing the germans very much!:)
I think they're a great civ because of the militaristic trait but I don't like very much the scientific one because on higher dificulties(emperor,deity)you can't keep up in science - no talk about beeing ahead.:lol:
The panzer is a formidable weapon(like the chinese rider) which shows the true meaning of ''Blitzkrieg'',my favourite Art of Fighting in Civ III.

I've read all this with great interest...

Ision: great analysis/assessment...

When I first was intro'd to Civ III 'twas the Vanilla version and I played the first few as the Romans. Then, since my roots are German, I tried the Germans, and I've played them exclusively ever since (I'd feel like a "traitor" if I didn't; but that's entirely subjective and slightly foolish I suppose)...

I haven't always "won" with Germany, but I have won more than I've lost, and, Ision you're quite right, it's quite satisfying. Once I get a handle on the level at which I'm playing (currently Regent), it gets a lot easier. Granted, playing the Germans can be challenging, at times, but that's my preference.

Love the Panzer's; especially when I can create armies (3x to begin with; 4x later) with 'em....

Once one gets past the MA, "combined arms" is absolutely necessary. Doesn't matter if we're talking naval or ground strategy; you have to have more than one slugger in your stable (personally I kind of like panzers (later, Modern Armor), mech inf, radar artillery, cruise missiles, and bombers (conventional and/or stealthy)). With Infantry backup for defense...

That's my two-bits worth... :king:

Team Germany has always ranked as one of the elite teams in the Spoiler Civ III League. Bismarck's bad boys were (along with Team USA) considered the best until the rise of Basque Force (Spain/Celts) in Season #3. The German Empire can expand rapidly and favors blitzkrieg moves against nearby enemy nations with devastating cavalry rushes backed by a stiff defense. Though the experts tend to overrate the Panzer tanks, the German bombers will open the road for the heavy metal offense with devastating results. The Germans won the league team championship with their partners, Team France (the Franco-Prussians) in Season #4, coming thirty-five points (4898 in Warlord) shy of winning the singles title from Team Spain in the same season.

Newbies may want to consider AI Germany as an opponent. The key is taking them out early as they seem to develop slow and can be a soft target. After the third period, they can be dominant to the point of overwhelming as Team Spain found out in their grueling fourth-period Warlord victory over Germany and India. AI Germany is a deceptive ally which will make peace with mutual enemies in but few moves after agreeing to a defense pact!

Powerful on offense, solid on defense (just don't play Germany against Japan and the Samurai - bad news!), Team Germany always comes in as one of the Super 8 teams in the league.

Nice,Ision, but with all due respect, I've played Civ 3-5 for 6 years. Iv found that Germany isa good war Nation across the board. Navy, Army, or Air Force oriented, Germany will get you there. The trick is to wait till the modern or future era. I am awful at commerce and domesticity, but I beat the AIs 6times straight on civ5 hardest level. And I did it with a strong submarine navy. Just my personal tactics.;)

I find something missing in the equation:

the complex of culture-group/resource-distribution/location

And this is very important in the German case:
Your neighbours will be from the Dutch/Spanish/French/English/Port/Spa/Celt group.
Not all of them will have easy access to Iron - eg. Dutch and French will usually lack it.
( the French by contrast are pretty much guaranteed Salpeter in their age ).

You can make use of this to get a solid iron age advantage and PWN a civilisation like France or Portugal. ( Beware of Celts, though! ). By thus singling out civilisations which have a resource-age disconnect, you should be able to dominate completely and totally the West European culture group all the way, making their lebensraum your lebensraum.
France is the outstanding example of whom-to-PWN because France usually has an early advantage in luxury resources.
This means that Germany will be highly militaristic and expansionist all the way from the iron age to end game.
Notice also how many West Europeans are naval powers - and YOU are the landpower.

One thing must be kept totally clear in mind: as soon possible, YOU must be in control of the iron in your region - and no one else in your region should have access to it.

While Germany is not much of a choice for early expansion beyond 1 single landmass, one must play Germany like lichen: driven by the determimation that each and every surface covered by Germans shall be exclusively covered by Germans.

Top Bottom