The Greed of a King of Heroes

Genseric

Warlord
This is another TETurkhan game of mine (Im obsessed!), this time I am playing as the Persians on little old Warlord level with about 14 other civs. This time i hope to have a proper ending when I get to it :p THere will also be pics at the appropriate moments.

Ive made Xerxes in this story as blood thirsty and tyrannical as I could and played the game equally brutal, using stand over tactics on other civs and going to war whenever i could. I hope the fair people here will enjoy. Feel free to offer any advice on what i write. Other wise, sit back and watch the blood flow! :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1025 B.C

“Do you have any final words David…’King’ of the Israelites?” The man with the conical goatee practically spat the word ‘King’ out. The bedraggled man kneeling before him had the appearance of a destitute street dweller, only he was bound in chains. His beard had become unkempt and matted with dirt. Whip lashes created angry whelts on his chest and back. His face was smeared with dirt, his sweat turning it into a soppy mess. His hunger ate away at him, as did countless rodents and other creepy crawlies in his filthy prison cell.

Whilst his eyes were bloodshot, he stared at the seated King with defiance before speaking. “I am not afraid to die Xerxes. God shall protect me. May he protect you for your brutal attacks on the peace loving Israelites”

“Shall he now?” Xerxes replied with seeming bored indifference, idly gazing at the crowd gathered in the gallery in the esteemed law courts. Xerxes waved his hands casually. “Lets see if he protects you from the executioners blade”

The man next to David raised his bronze sword over his head, ready to deftly slice it from David’s shoulders. The crowd begun calling for the sword to fall. David looked up to his death bringer. Is this how it ends? How could it come to this conclusion? What did the Israelites do to warrant such punishment? God save us! A million thoughts raced through his mind. As he looked up at his condemner, tears welled in his eyes and rolled down his cheeks.

The Persian ruler rolled his eyes. Must they all turn to a blubbering mess? The crowd begun yelling out kill him! Off with his head! Execute the scum! Xerxes scowled, slamming his clenched fist on the armrest of the throne. His tone softened. “You David, in your darkest hour show a resolute will, a determination somewhat lacking in these troubled time” David thought to himself, Troubles brought on by your megalomania Xerxes. “You will be of much more assistance to me than would your head on display in the royal palace. So you shall spend the rest of your days at my bidding,” said Xerxes over the crowd who were clamouring for the Israelites head. There was a wicked glint in his eye. “Yet then again, a trophy would be nice” Xerxes whispered into David’s ear. The sword swung at the Kings command. The head came off cleanly and bounced onto the floor in macabre fashion as blood poured from the massive cut. The decapitated body slumped to the floor. The eyes fluttered briefly, for roughly 30 seconds as severed heads live roughly that long after dismemberment, then stopped. His eyes were as cold as ice.

The despotic regime of Xerxes claimed its first victims, the Israelites, crushed out of existence.

At this time, the Persian empire was the second largest in the known world. They were neighbours with the peaceful Indians lead by Gandhi in the east, Turkistan to the north lead by Timur Lenk, Hungarians and King Louis to the northwest and then Carthage to the west. Xerxes and his loyal entourage had traveled the known world meeting and greeting leaders from far off locations. There were the Vikings in the frozen north under Ragnar Lodbrok, the sturdy Russian peasants in the cold expanses of central Europe under Catherine, the religious fervor of the French under Joan of Arc in the west of Europe, Chingis Khan or Temujin of the Mongolians from the spare steppes of Central Asia and King Hiryuk of Cambodia in the south east Asia.

Other peoples were rumored to exist around the world but no contact has been made. The main part of Persia exists in rather infertile hilly terrain, where the Bactrian horsemen furnished the Persian cavalry and chariot armies and the Iranian kingdoms came under Persian sway. Yet the jewel of the Empire is around the Euphrates and Nile River were crops are abundant, wine producing grape vines grew prolifically and incense was obtained in vast quantities. Coffee grew like weeds in Africa and this added to the rich resources in which Persia was able to trade to all parts of its known world. Traders no doubt watched these riches with envious eyes cast upon this part of the world. One of these gazers was Timur Lenk the avaricious leader of Turkistan.

“Our previous meetings have been so cordial my dear Timur. Now you are overcome by greed” admonished Xerxes as both men came face to face within Persepolis. “Now Xerxes, greed is such a harsh word. I would put that label to men who desire to conquer the world and all its riches and then to enslave the heavens” came back Timur.

“No doubt that is your intentions Timur; your rapid settlements in amongst the European barbarians gives me cause to doubt your…plans to advance the Turkistan race” Xerxes maintained no change in expression. He was surrounded by servants fanning him to relieve the oppressive humidity. Timur attempted to quench his thirst.

“Oh come now, one can hardly expect a empire to sit idly in a little box to benefit his people and their culture can he? This is a simple request Xerxes which is not beneath you to honor. It is a recognition of our friendship to you and Persia” Timur looked comfortable in handling Xerxes.

Xerxes smiled back but it contained no warmth. He muttered to one of his aides before returning his stern gaze towards Timur. “So be it then. We shall agree to furnish your people with our beautiful incense. No doubt to hide that pungent stench that wafts over Persian lands”. Timur’s expression did not change but hate coursed through his veins.

“I’ll choose to ignore your rather childish remark Xerxes. I shall leave you now and I trust our goods shall reach Samarkand in good order. May our relationship remain strong” The tubby leader arose gingerly and left with his seemingly endless horde of aides. Artaxerxes, Xerxes brother sidled up. “That fool dares hold Persia in contempt! He should be made to pay for his insolence your Excellency”

A wicked glint came into Xerxes eyes. “Of course they will my dear brother”

“What are you planning?”

“Why, we will march right into Turkistan and take back our incense he so rudely demanded from us. Firstly, I want you to stir up a hornets nest in Europe. The Russians and Catherine are gullible so make any cause for war to them that you see fit. The Hungarians are one of the big powers of Europe and if they see Russia claiming spoils from abroad, it might just provoke them enough to fight against Russia. From there, with the resulting mess we can step in on Central Europe and claim it as part of the jewel in our magnificent crown”

“An audacious plan your excellency” commented Antiochus, the emissary for foreign matters. “How will you justify an attack on Russia if that’s your intentions?”

“Spying, trespassing on Persian lands, been drunkards and violent criminals. I am unsure at this stage. All will be revealed as the time approaches” replied Xerxes as he headed of to his evening meal dismissing those around him.

While it has no maps or eye candy, I'd have to say this is an excellent story. D**n, but I wish TETurkhan's worked on Conquests!

Well, heres some eye candy for you North King. I dont think the quality is good but i'll explain it a little. Its 1450 BC and its shot just before i actually eliminated Israel but little had changed after that. To the top right you can see several stacks of units preparing to invade Turkistan. To the right are the Indians and they snuck the city of Lucknow on to the Arabian coast. To the top left is the Hungarians, rather large in size but little trouble to the mighty Persians. Oh and another point, this set of TEThurkans maps is actually played on Conquests so I dont know why yours wouldnt work.

Attachments

• Persia_1300BC.JPG
    Persia_1300BC.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 261
“We do not believe you” said Czarina Catherine firmly. “Timur Lenk and the Turkistan people have been nothing but generous in his dealings with Russia” The Persian envoys showed plenty of patience in attempting to persuade Catherine into an alliance against Turkistan. Hungary had been easy to persuade; Mongolia less so but they came to Persia’s side. “It is imperative for you to join us to thwart Timur’s leacherous expansion. The Gods only know what would happen if that violent Tartar is allowed to remain unchecked. All that they have promised to you, words of encouragement and faith all ring hollow”implored the emissary.

Catherine briefly conferred with her advisers. “You do state a case, albeit a rather unconvincing one. Should we…help… you, what would the benefits to the Russian people be?”

A broad smile broke out on Artaxerxes face. He was getting somewhere. Admittedly his protestations with the Russians were lies but if they served Persia to do so then so be it. “The main benefit of course is freedom from future sneak attacks. Also there are some technological advances in which we may graciously provide in exchange for your co-operation”

“Well, don’t sit there like a dead man, what are they?”

“The ability to traverse the seas and utilize them for your benefits such as farming the sea for food. Here you can engage in mapping the coastlines of all landmasses. Map making if you will. Then there is the codification of your laws, were you can administer justice, fight corruption, defend the rights of the citizens in a judicial system. It make governing such much more efficient.”

Russian advisers murmured excitedly amongst themselves. Artaxerxes smiled, letting the men take in the ramifications of such ideas. He added in a somewhat contemptuous tone. “Lets face facts dear Czarina, your men of learning are hardly setting the world alight with its thoughts and devices. There are much more than what I have mentioned that Russia do not know. If you join us we can open a world of possibilities to Russia.” His tone was a thinly disguised attack, suggesting the Russians were backwards.

“Also do not forget, we trade to you some of our finest luxuries. Luxuries which no doubt benefit you and your elite classes. Trade which can be halted at the click of Xerxes fingers. There are other nations out there who would clamour for our products.” Another thinly disguised attack. Persia now used the superiority card.

“I do not like your tone Artaxerxes” Catherine admonished. She thought for sometime before continuing. “Yet, as the trade and luxuries would be most welcoming, I see no other choice than to join you. I do get the feeling that we will regret this” she said with a scowl, unhappy at been forced into a corner.

Artaxerxes bowed to Catherine. “You can only benefit from this Czarina. Sure we may be serving our own ends to a degree but our relationships with allies are important to us”. Lies, pure lies. Persia could not give a damn what happened to Russia. If they wanted to they could invade them instead of Turkistan. The Persians left the palace in Moscow for the slow caravan trip back to Persepolis. “The fools. Catherine is more blind than I thought” spat the Foreign Minister Antiochus. “She is playing straight into our hands”. Artaxerxes smiled proudly. His brother, the king of Persia would be pleased with his efforts. Though Persia had contempt for the European nations, she wanted to play off the nations against each other. There Persia could step in, unstoppable in its quest for world domination. War between nations was critical, with Persia hoping that the two European powers would eventually clash, fighting over the spoils of Turkistan.

“It does seem that the Russians are indeed more simple and ignorant than one imagines. All the lies that we…shamefully peddled registered as truths to them. I believe too much of their vodka had damaged their mind” The men laughed loudly, drawing looks from other travelers, including several men with obvious Indian features. They had heard much of what was said in the caravan. Spies, spies of India’s ruler Gandhi. He would no doubt be very interested in Persia’s plans for conquest.

Iskander could not have created a more devastating scene of death and destruction. On a rocky plain punctuated by the odd low growing scrub in various stages of withering, lay bodies. Bodies that were broken, sapped of life under the intense desert sun. Some were devoid of limbs, others had no heads. Various stab wound covered the skin of the dead and dying. Gore poured from these pungent wounds as life seeped from the stricken. A stifling hot breeze from the west sought to drag whatever life remained on the battlefield away into the abyss.

Cries of pain rang out on the battlefield, some shrieked in agony from their wounds. Dying horses brayed in a appalling manner. Still, men moved about these killing fields, collecting up the wounded and carrying them away. Some would die within hours, others would succumb to infection over the coming days as their medicine could not help against serious stab wounds. Here lied the wreckage of the Turkistan army, crushed under foot by the Persian army. Walking amongst the ruins of war was Xerxes, inspecting the battlefield first hand as he had commanded the army personally. He came upon a man, which blood stained his head. His helmet lay nearby. His shield was shattered, failing to stop a viscous blow from his skirmishing partner.

Xerxes pulled his sword from his holster and promptly rammed in into his chest, ending his life in an instant. Soldiers went about collecting the dead and piling them on massive piles, setting fire to them. The air filled with the nauseating fumes of burning flesh. Better still though than leaving the corpses to bloat and break down in the desert furnace. If this is the best that Timur can throw at Persia than victory shall come easy! Xerxes thought to himself. Xerxes headed back towards his royal carriage that would take him back to Parsa (Persepolis). He heard horses hooves thunder in the distance and noticed a small contingent of chariots ride to his direction. From the lead chariot appeared Gobryas, Xerxes first chief who had lead the army through the Turkistan lands.

“Great Leader! A magnificent victory this was. Ahuramazda has blessed us and our undertakings. The army has encamped in front of Samarkand and only awaits your orders to proceed” reported Gobyras, who despite the intense heat, wore his tunic noted for the Immortals. Suffice to say, sweat poured down his face and obscured his vision. The late afternoon sun still contained a viscous bite.

“Very well. Let them camp for the night. At first light, storm the city. As reward for your efforts, have you and your men take what you want. Yet send the gold and silver back to Parsa so that it may fill our treasuries and be shined. I do feel that it may not be enough. It may have to be enlarged” Xerxes faced beamed with pleasure. The spoils of war were infiltrating his mind. He begun to lust for more. “What of our other forces? Have you heard?”

“Yes your excellency. Bukhara and Khiva were taken easily with minimal loss to Persia. Great bounties are on their way back to our homeland”
. Xerxes grinned. “Good. This is enough conquering for one day. I await tales of great victories tommorow at noon. You are dismissed” The king climbed into his carriage to make the slow journey back to the capital.

Purple cloaked figures ambled their way up the enormous double ramped stairway leading to the Gate of All Nations. The long slow walk up the stairs was designed so that visitors moved with dignity. The Gate had two large bulls overlooking in the west and in the east was lamasu’s (bearded man with a bulls body). They headed towards the gathering of people within the apadana. Here seventy two columns soared twenty five meters to support the ceiling. The immense size of the audience hall could easily humble visitors. Here Xerxes had left his palace to receive these visitors, announced by lit beacons that stretched from Merv to the capital.

They hardly spoke as Xerxes ordered them to approach. He could tell from their features that they were Indian. “We bring a message from our glorious ruler Ghandi”. They placed an ornamental box before him and proceeded to leave as slowly as they arrived. Xerxes peered intently as the men left the apadana. “Open the box” he barked. One man bent down and lifted it up. Another gently prized the lid off and pulled out bronze leaflets with carvings on it. Xerxes began reading. His facial expression altered from stony, to bewilderment and anger.

“India hereby authorizes the used of force against the kingdom of Persia for it unjust war against Turkistan, in accordance of the overtures for aid from Turkistan and its people. All trade between us is revoked and all Persian traders and diplomats are to be expelled” Xerxes anger was hitting the high roofs of the hall. It smashed its way through when he read the next part.

Xerxes, we know of your plans , your designs on Europe to create instability, to play off other countries against each other so you may pick up the pieces. We will not allow this to happen. India and its subjects deeply regrets that the situation has come to this”

In a fit of unadulterated fury, as dictators are wont to do, Xerxes swung around towards Artaxerxes and flung the document as hard as he could. It sailed wide into a far wall, shattering on impact. He exploded. “How can this happen?!? How did that sniveling pious freak know of this?” Artaxerxes melted in the face of his brother’s fury.

“I…i…do not know your excellence. The Indians could not…could not have possibly known a thing. Yes, they would not have known at all” Xerxes stormed up to the now cowering aide. “And I suppose they divined this from their sacrificial offerings did they?”

“I…have…I have no idea…honestly! I cannot understand how Gandhi got a hold of this plan!”

The Foreign Minister, Antiochus, no stranger to Xerxes wrath had stood forward. “If I may shed some light…” He was cut off, “Oh please do!” Xerxes muttered sarcastically “Seeing as even my most trusted diplomat has no idea at all!”

“Well, yes. It seems a minor detail but I did notice a contingent of Indian travelers, diplomats, spies, spice traders, I do not know, on our travels back to Persepolis from Russia. They did seem to be traveling rather close and watching our convoy rather carefully. Its just possible th…” Again Xerxes ranted. “Wonderful! My aides do not know the meaning of SECRECY! Could you be anymore careless than to let slip such a secret undertaking?”

Antiochus bowed his head. Others in the palace were avoiding the murderous stares of Xerxes. “I should have the lot of you beheaded for incompetence!” The King reached for his sword and showed it to his aides. “Should you not rectify this situation, as in repulse the Indians from our lands and try for peace, this sword shall remove your heads from your shoulders” Nothing further was said as the men left the palace properly bow beaten.

As wars went it was rather lackluster, without serious battles instead there were minor skirmishes along the Indian/Persia border. Some Indian troops had secretly made their way inland and begun pillaging the roads around Isfahan. Still, Artaxerxes and his fellow royal aides succeeded in the task set to them by the King, spared their lives in the process. Now that war against India was finished, the Kingdom had a new threat to face, only this time it was from within. It was the threat of revolution. The people had greatly tired of the despotic regime of Xerxes and were rebelling for change.

The ring leader in the Republican movement, a form of government common in the larger nations of Europe, it involved the head of state ruling over city states which were somewhat autonomous from the capital. In Persia’s case it was getting to be that the empire was too large to be run properly out of Persepolis. A Republican government would enable it to be better managed. Greater freedoms for the citizenry were possible, not constantly watched by an authoritarian leader who was no stranger to threats to coerce people into their tasks.

“I can see no alternative to have Xerxes ousted from his role than murder, I must regretfully say” said Antiochus in hushed tones. He and a loyal group of men sat around flickering candles in Antiochus’ estate house, the darkness inside the mini palace covering the men like a malevolent shroud. The men half expected Xerxes secret service, his Immortals, to suddenly spring from the shadows and arrest them all for treason. They were safe however, as Antiochus had arranged the meeting himself, not allowing anyone to pass on of the meeting. He had with him 15 of the most influential people in Persia, members of Xerxes royal entourage, wealthy traders and land owners. They were the vital cog in moving Persia forward.

“Yes, Xerxes has become far too powerful for a popular movement to be attempted peacefully. He would lock away all that took part and we and others would never be seen again” This from Smerdis, whose wealth from trading wines and incense bordered on the obscene. The candlelight seemed to deepen his morbid appearance.

“He once was a rather kind individual. I don’t know what happened but he his nothing like his father at all” Some here were old enough to remember Darius, the empires previous king. These men were old so they had nothing to loose in having Xerxes removed. One man slammed his fist down. “I am sick and tired of seeing that filthy pig strip me off my rightful earnings” He was another trader who was subject to Xerxes outlandish taxation. “Yes my friend, when it is all over a fairer system will see that you get what is rightfully yours” responded Antiochus.

“Just how are we going to eliminate him?” asked Cambyses. Of all the people in on the coup, he was unusual as he was Xerxes brother. He hated Xerxes however with a fiery passion. He had been downtrodden and ignored from any administrative posts within Xerxes rule. All because he was a smart man, more so than his tyrannical brother and could possibly be a threat to his rule.

Smerdis put his idea forward. “Perhaps whilst anarchy reigns through out the lands from your carefully orchestrated, a few friends can lend a helping hand”

From the gloom emerged three men, of differing statures and appearances. Two men appeared to take on Russian features and the other looked as if he were descended of Mongolian blood, with his short stature, dark mangled hair and narrow eyes. The guards in the room immediately drew their swords and thrust them to within a millimeter of their necks.

Antiochus stood up, furious. “What is this?” he hissed angrily. “Do not worry dear Antiochus” replied Smerdis. “These gentleman are the answer to our problems. Assassins”

An eclectic bunch if there ever was one. The biggest man stood forward, his massive frame shielding the others from view. “I am Oleg. I can eliminate problem with help of friends. For the right price of course” The man produced a big toothy grin that had the warmth of an Arctic storm. Antiochus took stock of the Mongolian. He did not trust them at all. They appeared occasionally throughout Persepolis and some had been employed in Xerxes grand palace and the treasury. He had known them as deceitful through his dealings with some traders.

“What business does a Mongolian have with two Russians? Are you not sworn enemies?” queried Antiochus, trying to take stock of this. “Chingis Khan has sworn Russians enemies of Mongolia. I have not. I leave his tyrannical rule and use my services were it so desires”. Smerdis spoke. “These three men are experts in their trade. Assasins, who will traverse all parts of the known world to kill those who pay in the right sum of gold and silver”

Antiochus laid his bid down, putting his suspicions aside. “We offer you 2000 gold up front. We offer information on Xerxes movements and you do the work”. Oleg thought briefly. “Excuse us. We shall discuss terms” The assassins vanished into the gloom and out on the front porch. A full moon provided ample illumination. The gravel path was flanked by large date palms. The men stepped onto the pathway when suddenly four men emerged from the large flax growing amongst the palms. They had emerged on a preset command from the Mongolian, simple drop of the sword. They held swords. They were Mongolian. The Mongolian in the group looked quickly at Oleg and then back to the others. “Kill him!” Oleg roared in anger “Traitor scum!” Quickly he drew his short sword from his holster and with lightning reflexes, stabbed the traitor in the neck and pushed the dying men into the advancing Mongolians. The ensuing commotion drew out the conspirators. “What is this madness!” hissed Antiochus. From both sides appeared the dreaded Immortals. Instantly they seized the men. Oleg and his friend lay dead on the ground. The Immortals roughly shoved the men towards carts that would take them back to Parsa.

Quite the interesting article. It appears Xerxes has people everywhere. To ensure the survival of the empire perhaps?

Indeed he does. He is like what Saddam Hussien was with his ever present security services. The empire is rather safe I think despite occasional outbursts of civil disorder under a despotic regime and the threat of India to the east. I am beginning to think that the other nations fear Persia.

Bound and shackled, the six men lined up alongside each other on the apadana. Xerxes towered over them. His facial expression portrayed anger and hate. “Traitors in my midst” he said “You nearly got away with this too” He stared at each man. “A painful death awaits you all” Xerxes stood back momentarily. An obese man sidled up to the king and whispered in his ear. The King smiled. “It seems that my aide offered me a tantalizing proposal. You shall be spared your lives on one condition; you kill your wives and your family. If not, you die” He let the gravity of his proposal sink in. “Here I can see who is proud and defiant. Then I can also see who is the fool. Weak kneed and spineless. My dear…brother. This what is in store for you. The torture chambers of Bagoas awaits you then slavery in the mines of Baku”.

The name Bagoas instantly struck fear into those who had heard the stories. He was said to be created by the devil, perhaps the son of Iskander himself. The grotesque man relished in many ways of torturing political prisoners. They were then sent to Baku, never to be seen again. No one escaped, only when they died were they released from that hell. Some suicided after several days of the grinding life inside the mines. Cambyses did not flinch, even though Xerxes had his son sent to the mines for voicing dissent. His cruelty knew no bounds and now the hopes of revolution lay shattered like many thousand fragments of glass.

“I fear neither pain nor death brother” Cambyses said defiantly. Xerxes kicked his brother in the stomach and watched him topple over. He ordered him to be taken away. “What say the rest of you? Will you save yourselves by murdering your family or will you be left to die at the hands of Bagoas?” Two of the men broke down. They wanted to be spared and agreed to kill their families. Smerdis and Antiochus both looked defiantly at Xerxes. “I refuse your ultimatum. I would rather die”.

“Then so be it”. Both men were grabbed and taken away from Xerxes, the revolution crushed.

In a cruel ironic twist, Xerxes begun governmental reforms, seeing the benefits of a republican administration. However, there was no intention of allowing general elections to elect a Prime Minister. Instead, he allowed the creation of an opposition, sufficiently weakened to make them toothless tigers but the general public wouldn’t know that. Xerxes would remain supreme ruler, tyrant of Persia.

Top Bottom