The Hinge of Fate - Playtest/Release Thread

Portugal has historically been aligned with Britain, despite its neutrality. I'm not sure that changed very much during the Salazar dictatorship.
Being caught between the historical obligation of the Anglo-Portuguese Alliance, and Franco, who was considered a, "soft," Axis sympathizer, was probably a big motivator for Portugal's neutrality, at the end of the day.

Being caught between the historical obligation of the Anglo-Portuguese Alliance, and Franco, who was considered a, "soft," Axis sympathizer, was probably a big motivator for Portugal's neutrality, at the end of the day.
I read Portuguese neutrality was enforcing Spannish Neutrality.

To resume,
Franco was massing troops next to Gibraltar and the Pyrenees, fearing both allies and germans actions towards strategic neutrals (Iceland for allies, list is long for germans).
Portugal joining allies was then seen on the allied side as an incitation for franco to align with germans to counter this new front threatening him.

Portugal was too well aware of that situation, and both Portugal and Spain had too few resources to give in this war in compare with the opening of this new front. Their natural alliances both lacked resources too to support these countries militaries. Thus the stalemate (which only Hitler tried to disturb)

If I'm not wrong...

Portugal has historically been aligned with Britain, despite its neutrality. I'm not sure that changed very much during the Salazar dictatorship.
There was two perspectives inside the regime: pro-allies and pro-axis. Salazar itself was pro-England (not pro-USA), but was a friend of Mussolini, Pétain and Franco.
The portuguese neutrality was connected to the spanish neutrality. In case of Franco joined the Axis, it would be a strong possibility of an english intervention in Portugal, like in Greece.
If, in game, Franco join Axis, it must be a chance (50%-50%) of Portugal join allies, axis or enter in a civil war.

Other suggestion: in ww2 Slovakia was a puppet state, not an occupied like Czechia or Poland, and some divisions participated in the invasion of USSR.
It would be nice to create slovak infantry units in Bratislava.

Other suggestion: in ww2 Slovakia was a puppet state, not an occupied like Czechia or Poland, and some divisions participated in the invasion of USSR.
It would be nice to create slovak infantry units in Bratislava.
Yes, they even there own section in fairline's WW2 Minor Axis big collection (though, oddly, Thailand doesn't).

I got an unit for them in collection. Guess by tanelorn ?
fairline Thailand ww2.png

Top Bottom