The Histograph and Not Losing

Jhaeman

Chieftain
I'm a mediocre player :D I find that, although I never get wiped out, I don't seem to really get my civ up and running until around 1950 or so, when an AI civ (usually the damn Incas!) has a pretty sizable score lead on the Histograph (pretty much all my games end with me in second or third place when 2050 roles around). I've read the FAQ but I'm still a bit fuzzy on how the histograph works:

Late in the game, how much of a deficit can I realistically make up? That is, if I were to wipe a civ out, does that lower their score or just keep it from increasing?

I generally focus on keeping citizens content, not happy, but should I invest heavily in luxuries throughout the game just to get a higher score?

If 2050 is coming around and I'm clearly going to lose, should I try a crazy kamikaze attack to seize the United Nations from an enemy civ to see if I can keep it for a turn, hold a snap election, and win a diplomatic victory? (or would I have to hold it for 11 turns?)

The max duration for a game is 540 turns. So if you are in the late turns, say you're in year 1950, you won't have much time left to increase your score. Even wiping out a civ won't help you, unless you can raise your score higher than the AI had at the moment they were killed.
Content citizens count only half as much as happy ones for score. Happy citizens and territory are what counts the most for score. So if you lack in the offensive, then you should at least keep your citizens happy, as it will be the only way to get a higher score than an AI which has more territory than you.

Late in the game, how much of a deficit can I realistically make up? That is, if I were to wipe a civ out, does that lower their score or just keep it from increasing?

Wiping out a civ really only keeps that civ's score from increasing any further. I think an eliminated civ's score does drop a bit over time but once you're in the 1950's, any decrease you're going to see by the end is going to be minimal. However, taking over an eliminated civ's lands can give you a sizable boost in score.

On scoring
Post a save for more specific tips. The most common weakness of newer players comes as not having enough workers.

Score gets averaged over all the turns played, so that's why you'll see an eliminated civ's score slowly drop.

I don't know it the scoring system holds any particular appeal to you, but you don't need to know anything about that to become a better player. If you're saying that you don't get your civ up and running until the 1950's, than you probably lack experience in playing this game effectively, and any sort of general advice would help you. So just stick around in these forums, and you'll learn a lot.

You can set the game up to have 1000 turns, but either way it ends at 2050AD.

Or you can blow off the histograph and pursue your own agenda, nothing says the game has to end in 2050. I always say yes to "just a few more turns?"

^
You can only do that if you win.

Even if you lose you could do that.\/\/

No you can't.

I've done it before. I could show you. Do you want me to?\/\/

You definitely can't play a few more turns after you lose by conquest. :mischief:
I don't remember for sure with the other VCs, 'cos I usually quit before they beat me. :blush:

Yes. Back when I was a warmongernub, I lost a victory to "WHUT DOES THIZ BUTTUHN DO?", when that button was launching a UU vote that I lost. I chose the continue game button and thought I could still win if I killed them all.

Top Bottom