The History of the Dune Wars Mod

I read the print magazine "PC Gamer" every month, and they had a short piece on Civ 4 mods in the October 2010 issue. They picked three mods to mention specifically, with a few lines about each one. They picked Planetfall, Fairy Tale, and ... Dune Wars! I feel proud to have worked on a mod which is mentioned in a print magazine. Good work, team!

I read the print magazine "PC Gamer" every month, and they had a short piece on Civ 4 mods in the October 2010 issue. They picked three mods to mention specifically, with a few lines about each one. They picked Planetfall, Fairy Tale, and ... Dune Wars! I feel proud to have worked on a mod which is mentioned in a print magazine. Good work, team!

In case it's just a few lines, could you please type what they said about those three mods? Or at least Planetfall and Dune Wars; Le Sage plans to buy the PC Gamer issue.

Was a picture of the mod included?

Here is a scan of the article.

Attachments

• civ-article.jpg
    civ-article.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 3,050
Cool Dune screenie with the sandworms. :) For Planetfall they somehow managed to find a to-year old screenshot though. o_0

Awesome. That is really cool. I'm chuffed.

Well done to everyone who has contributed.

Cool Dune screenie with the sandworms. :) For Planetfall they somehow managed to find a to-year old screenshot though. o_0
Well, it's the first attached image in the download thread... but that makes me sad, there's an elephant on it! Ah, well...

Still very, very cool to see it in a print magazine - ditto for seeing Dune Wars there, amazing! Nice that the mods get the publicity they deserve! :goodjob:

Cheers, LT.

Lord Tirian said:
Well, it's the first attached image in the download thread... but that makes me sad, there's an elephant on it! Ah, well...

Yeah, that is a bit unfortunate after all the fine work you've done on the Planetfall graphics. Still, if it encourages more people to download and play the mod then that's the main thing.

A thread about Dune Wars on Quarter-to-Three following the PC Gamer mention:
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=60953

hehe they all say - "how could we have missed that"....:)
I think that's one of the best things of getting any mod into a print magazine - the majority of players is probably not even aware of the existence of mods, at least not straightaway after installing the game (nowadays, I'd say that a lot of CivIV players *have* heard of mods, because CivIV has been in circulation for quite a while and because of the inclusion of fan mods in BtS). Things like modding usually only spread by word-of-mouth; print magazines help a lot with that... and once they're aware that mods exist at all, people start trying out other CivIV mods as well! :D

CivV's in-built mod support is - hopefully - making modding a lot more popular as well! :)

Cheers, LT.

For those that might not have seen, Tom Chick is writing a series on Dune Wars for Fidgit.com. I provided him with some of the background history of the mod. More good exposure for Dune Wars. :)

This looks fantastic so far. Very good advertising for the mod - and written in a fun and engaging style.

I have to agree with Tom - the waterstealer's ability to consume nearby cities' water is a home run, yes, definitely a *feature*. Much better version than the 4 Str (non)waterstealer of doom running around before. :p

Tom's article was tweeted by Soren Johnson which is kind of cool...

Keldath, you, Deliverator and David all deserve huge credit (and Koma).

Very cool to get this picked up and noticed.

Top Bottom