The Immortal Challenge Line-up Game #37 Portugal

budweiser

King of the Beers
Welcome to the Immortal Challenge Lineup!

Lots of seafaring civs left to go before we finish out the series. Here is another great civ, Portugal.

ICL Game #37 - Portugal
Settings: standard
Map – Continents
DLC - All DLC - no map packs

Starting location:
Spoiler :

Information & rules:
Spoiler :
All games in this series will be set to IMMORTAL difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. New challenges in the series will be posted every other Wednesday.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play immortal games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.

Links to all recent ICL-games:

All results get documented in a spreadsheet by Nigel_Tufnel2. To help him with his work, please use this headline tXXX victory-type in your finishing post in bold text. Example: t210 DV

Good luck!

Attachments

• Maria ICL37.Civ5Save
    523.3 KB · Views: 139
Cheers budweiser! I have something to do for my day off!

I'm really interested in what Portugal can do. I read somewhere that you can easily spam buy discount Naus, send them up nearest neighbor and end up with infinite gold

I'm sorry to say I have a big problem with this map, but only read if you can tolerate a spoiler.

Spoiler :
Was having the Northern coast of the continent (which you start next to) blocked off by ice an oversight or a deliberate decision?

I mean, it's a total trap. There is no point settling on a locked-in coast on a continents map. It's a wasted city. And not knowing this at the start seems like a trick really. But even if I reload T0 and walk my settler to the Western coast or somewhere inland, there aren't really any good sites at all.

When I was host of the DCL I did not react well to some of the feedback about my map choices, so I hope I'm not seen as hypocritical, it's just that having a naval and trade based civ on a continents map spawn next to a coast that will never become open, seems like a complete waste really.

I can only hope that this was an oversight and if so, I will happily provide an edited version of the map with the ice removed.

The truth about this map.

Spoiler :
I chose it based only on the screen shot, did not play any turns. Then when I played it, I found it was mostly iced in. I almost re-rolled it, but decided not to. It's a challenge, not a dirty trick. It really just a speed bump because you can still make long distance trade routes out of Lisbon if you really want to

Here is my empire turn 222.
Spoiler :

Example of Trade Route
Spoiler :

I've also got a fun little naval war going against Monty and he just lost it.

The Nau is super because it's free money that can be used for influence, more units, whatever you need. it has a long lifespan and you just keep making them if you want cash.

Spoiler :
you can still make long distance trade routes out of Lisbon if you really want to

Provided you place a city exactly where you have, yes. OK, I was just having my say. I'll shut up now :)

Provided you place a city exactly where you have, yes. OK, I was just having my say. I'll shut up now :)

Its OK friend. This map is not ideal, but I hope other people will still give it a try, especially if you haven't played Portugal before.

Spoiler :
I have to admit I was disappointed to find that I was ice-locked. However, after hitting about a t83 NC I dropped my 4th city to allow cargo ship passages to and from the capital. I was originally thinking of going for a CV, and you can see that my tourism hit a decent amount. I was making colossal amounts of money with no external routes, so I was able to buy up every city-state. At that point I decided to just go for the diplo victory since Germany and Poland had a huge amount of culture that I would have had to burn through.

I went scout scout shrine and hit an early pop 3 due to pop rune, so I next went settler settler granary fishing boat. I managed to steal one worker from a city-state.

NC took longer than I thought because I had to wait for Philosophy to finish after building the libraries. I did get Desert Folklore, which gave me great faith generation all game long, allowing me to convert my cities, Poland's cities and all the city-states on the north half of our continent. I also got tithe, pagodas, +15% production and cheaper prophets.

Wonders built: Oracle, Borobodur, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Neuschwanstein, Cristo Redentor, Sydney Opera House. I waited too long to use the Pisa GE on Uffizi, so Casimir stole it. I was trying to wait until I popped another great artist to basically get 100 free great artist points, but that was too greedy. Oh well. Assyria also built the Porcelain Tower before I was able to do so.

I was first to ideologies and went Freedom, but everybody else went Order or Autocracy. I was able to avoid fighting any wars though. I did consider invading Poland just for the fun of it, because I had a huge tech lead by the end of the game and my infantry/bombers would have cleaned up his artillery/great war infantry. But it was a lot easier just to click next turn until the win.

Attachments

• 2015-09-13_00002.jpg
    2015-09-13_00002.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 2015-09-13_00003.jpg
    2015-09-13_00003.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 68
  • 2015-09-13_00004.jpg
    2015-09-13_00004.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 88
T 276 and expecting to suffer.

Spoiler :
4 city Tradition into Freedom and hopes for a CV but Germany has so much culture to beat back. Built the mediocre city on the snow so Lisbon wouldn't be land locked.

Haven't played this one well, as it seems I lacked military and have just been double DOWed by Monty and Germany. If I can beat them back, I'll be OK but this seems doubtful.

budweiser, to link to previous games, find an ICL that has the list, then Quote the initial post. Find the section with links to previous games, copy and paste it into your new new initial post (or edit this one), and add the recent ones that are missing in the same format. The last list was ICL-35 Babylon, I snipped what you need in the spoiler below, so you can just Quote this post to get it.

Then just find the first pages of the unlinked ICLs, copy the url of each one from your browser, and paste one by one near the bottom in the same HTML format used. You will need to add

"Game #35 - Babylon" (etc) inside the [URL ...] [/URL] tags. Each pair of them is a link.

Hi all!
Long and painful road to victory, but am quite satisfied :)
Started to attack Poland around T200 if I remember well - as soon as I had artillery anyway, took Poznan (nice city directly to my east), but then Casimir started to buy units and cram them at me, had to make peace after losing 2 well upgraded parties and a few melee units.
On the very same turn, Monty backstabbed me and DoW-ed on me, but fortunately he was no match to my then-trained units remaining and my GG - smashed him.
Around that time I was science leader and well ahead on the lower part of the tree, but was getting quite some tourism pressure (went order, America & Ramses had a ton of wonder and autocracy)
Had to wait a bit to (re)build strong enough to finish Casimir. In the process of doing that, Germany backstabbed... so I crossed the seas to gutter him, which offered me Assur from the germans in the process. This opened road to America, then superstrong - epic battle with nukes exchange. Puppetted my way to Washington eventually.
By then I had Stealth bombers, Xcom & giant death robots (rare).
Finishing Sweden & Ramses was then a formality.
Very good map, good challenge - almost collapsed and recovered, used land, air & sea, managed happiness well - Thanks!

Spoiler :
I went 3-city Tradition with my third placed where budweiser suggested. However, my most profitable trade routes ended up originating from that city and not Lisbon. I founded a religion with God of the Sea and Tithe. However, both Poland and Aztecs also founded their own limiting the expansion of my own religion. I missed first place on the World's Fair by less than 1 hammer. Pretty funny considering I used 1 turn in 1 city to finish a building and spent 100% of the rest of my production on the fair. I guess it is a drawback of founding only 3 cities. Poland and Aztecs both had about the two largest armies most the game. However, I was able to bribe Montezuma into going to war with Poland and they stayed at war pretty much all the rest of the game. However, a 10-turn peace treaty between the two, made me a bit uncomfortable as Montezuma quickly amassed troops near my frontier, but both quickly returned to war. The Aztecs conquered 3 CS, but I still had enough delegates to win the first World Leader proposal.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    Civ5Screen0004.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Civ5Screen0010.jpg
    Civ5Screen0010.jpg
    513.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Civ5Screen0011.jpg
    Civ5Screen0011.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 57
Had a fun, slow game with lot of early trouble. Several AI civs played well and kept up. The Nau was great! Forgot to try out the special tile improvement so I'll have to play Portugal again soon!

6 city liberty, NC t91, patronage, rationalism and order. Tried to focus on gold and CS but had to keep defenses updated to keep peace.

Spoiler :

Top Bottom