• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The Kremlin?

Seems like splitting hairs. "The Pyramids" shows a pictures of the Pyramids at Giza if I'm not mistaken, but those are far from the only pyramids to have ever been constructed, and not the only ones of historical significance. The fact that they call the wonder "The Pyramids" and have a picture of just the ones at Giza reflects the common perception of historical pyramids. We all know why this general term is being boldly applied to a specific instance, and just let it slide as a result.

This is not an analogous case. The issue isn't whether we are (unjustifiably) singling out a particular kremlin but that the object singled out (in the icon at least) isn't even an instance of one. (A more accurate analogy would be if the sphinx, say, were the icon for the pyramids.)

The Kremlin is a well known term and major historical item, and I've seen Cold War movies showing pictures of St.Basil's Cathedral when doing a pan-in on a Soviet government scene for a long time. Simply put, it may be a mistake to call the cathedral the Kremlin, but it's a fairly widely made mistake and the connection between that image and Russian government in the western mindset is undeniable - far beyond Civ.

It's not at all clear to me what this line of reasoning is meant to accomplish. The fact that a false belief has become widespread should not dissuade us from correcting ourselves and others if it is in fact, not the case. If anything it should encourage us to be more aggressive about fixing our mistakes.

Lies, kremlins are used to hide there at nights. When the soldiers go to sleep, wild bears appear and it's unsafe to stay outside. So you go to hide in kremlin.

Hey, all you native Russian speakers & you Russian-English dictionary users: This is a game! You're arguing as if the Queen of Hearts doesn't exactly look like the Queen of Holland in your card deck -- who cares??;)

PS: I did, indeed, study Russian -- for two years when I was in college. I think I remember just about exactly two words: Da and Nyet!:goodjob:

Top Bottom