The longest war AAR

korn469

Warlord
Long ago the world was a frozen wasteland. Some believed a god had curse the world. Others said that somebody had broken the old mother's heart, and she couldn't warm the ground with her. A few even said the sun had wandered too far away on it's daily travels. Whatever the reason, the days of cold and ice were harsh. We followed the mammoths, fighting the wolves for the weak and the old. We avoided the others. Our numbers were small, and it often appeared we'd starve to death.

Then something changed. A month went by without a blizzard. Then the snow started melting. This was the first time that had happened since the long winter started. We started to cross a river, but couldn't...the ice had melted! In about a week, nearly all of the snow melted on the ground melted as well. However, it took a month for the real miracle to happen. We saw some plants beginning to bloom. Our tribe found itself in a paradise. We had lush fields fed by the river. Great forest provided us with the materials to start a new life. At this time we vowed never to leave this sanctuary. We would protect our new home from interlopers, no matter what it too.

Scouts set out to see how far this rebirth extended. They discovered two things. Winter had returned to normal everywhere but the most northern parts of our land. Other tribes had also settled down. However, each of them seemed eager to fill the land with cities. We watched as they spread. Many worried what would happen if they tried to take our lands. One came forward.

Gilden Silveric swore a blood oath to Amelanchier and the rest of the Ljosalfar to defend us from all harm with his life. He routed barbarian raiders, patrolled our borders, and trained his small cohort. Soon he had to use that training. War broke out with the other tribes. Nobody knows now who started the war, but fanatical followers of the code of Junil, haughty mages, and our old enemies the dwarves all fought us. Gilden Silveric led his small band of followers to innumerable victories. His bow took so many lives that the oak he had carved it from turned black. Amelanchier named it the dark crescent; however, those brave few who fought beside of Gilden called his bow the the whisper, because every time it whispered death would follow.

Gilden Silveric burned down the cities of our vanquished foes. Our enemies were unrelenting. The long winter had taught us one thing. Either you survive or you die. There was no compromise - the tyrants leading those nations were all power hungry. They wanted to rule as far as their eye could see and as far as their minds could dream. Our people stayed in our sacred lands, while the others attempted to fill up every vale, every grove, and every hilltop. Their leaders wanted everything. Including what belong to us. Through amazing force of arms Gilden crushed both Beeri Bawl's dwarves, and Capria's fanatics. During this campaign Gilden destroyed an abomination created by the dwarves. He brought the head of this unholy machine back to our homes. Also he captured the axe of slain king of the Orcs. It's magic made him an even greater warrior. He started the final push deep into the heart of the mages' territory. The whisper would put an end to Dain the Caswallawn's arrogence.

However, before that happened, news of massive revolts reached Gilden. Signs of the end of the world had frightened our people. Blight had tainted the land. Though our blessed land thankfully stayed healthy for the most part. Rumors of powerful demons frightened both children and their parents. The endless war had soured our mood. We were tired of fighting. So Gilden made peace with Dain, and returned home to protect our people.

After Gilden returned from his long battle our people drew inward. We isolated ourselves, and sought to avert the worst. However, the dark signs of the final battle didn't pass. During these uncertain days, we finally found guidance through the order. Their priest ministered to our souls, and one of their followers joined our ranks. Soon it became apparent that we would have to go to war again. Dain expanded more than ever. He used the respite from combat to create an empire. He then declared war on us. He thought it was time for revenge, but we made him pay. Gilden and Valin Phanuel conducted cross border raids, and we even managed to destroy a few outpost. However we made little progress because of his massive armies. Dain had even taken to worshipping false Empyrean prophets. Plus he summoned a fallen age to fight beside of him. We held our ground, but Armageddon seemed at hand. Many feared our destruction.

However, just as demons invaded our world, and pestilence killed nearly all of our people, including Valin Phanuel, Sphener arrived to fight for us. With Gilden's help he secured our border. Then while Gilden protected our home, Sphener set out to destroy both Dain and Basium. Sphener destroyed all of those who stood before him. AT first he attempted to drive to Basium's capital and destroy it, but Dain forced him back. So Sphener started at the edge of Dain's empire, and started overrunning it. City after city fell to Sphener's might. Then hells army made a final push. Mortals died on a massive scale, and a demon warlord collected their souls into an army. Yet this changed nothing. The war raged on, and Sphener still destroyed all of those that stood against us. As Sphener approached Basium's capital, Basium arrogantly challenged Sphener to meet him on the battlefield. The two clashed, but Basium was no match for Sphener.

Sphener defeated Basium, and went on to crush the army of renegade angels Basium had built. Then Sphener marched on Dain's capital. Sphener won a massive battle with Dain's forces, before he besieged the capital. It was a long time before it fell, but Sphener's constant attack finally overwhelmed the defences. Dain escaped, but his empire was in shambles. He still had many glorious cities, and the largest civilized empire, but his armies were no match for Sphener. Each new conquest happened faster than the rest. Finally Dain only had a few cities, and couldn't resist Sphener's power. Finally Sphener found Dain's last redoubt, destroying it and Dain's Empyrean heresies.

Anyways I won a OCC conquest victory on a small map with three opponents. My city sucked, it took me like 960 turns to do it, but it was fun. It also demonstrates that heros can become pretty much invincible.

Attachments

• korn469 AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    46 KB · Views: 82
Here's some screenshots.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 170
  • Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 357
  • Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 239
I really enjoy playing OCCs and highly recommend them. They have a different feel from a normal game. The reason Evermore only has 2 pop is war weariness. I was at war for the great majority of the game (maybe 600-700 turns or more) and by the end I could only have two or three happy citizens at once. Since it was on deity I hit the happy cap fairly early, and I didn't have any happiness resources or mana nodes, so all of my happiness had to come from buildings and civic choices. I admit that I was a bit neglectful in my civic choices, so that probably contributed to a less than optimal city. I really focused very little on my city. I didn't have the population to work many of terrain improvements, and the large number of enemies encroaching on my territory left any terrain improvement subject to pillaging. So I just focused on using my heros to smash the AI in the mouth turn after turn. What really hurt me was that Gilden couldn't get the march promotion. If he had that I would have been even more dangerous. In my original campaign I took out the banner and the dwarves. I had nearly wiped out the amurites as well, but the AC had hit 68, which made me worry about the horsemen showing up and wiping out Evermore which was lightly defended with a couple of warriors (i had probably upgraded them to swordmen though). Plus war weariness had crippled me. I pulled back, and decided to get Sphener. When I did that Dain grew like crazy, and eventually summoned Basium. Dain declared war on me, and it lasted until I won. Before I built Sphener I had Valin Phanuel, but even with him and Gilden both it was slow going in taking out the AI. Pestilence killed Valin and most of my population. I used Gilden to protect Sphener until he was strong enough to fight on his own with relatively invincibility. Then Gilden retreated back to Evermore, and Sphener ground Dain and Basium into dust.

So has anybody else tried it out? If you have, how are you doing so far?

Since it was on deity I hit the happy cap fairly early, and I didn't have any happiness resources or mana nodes, so all of my happiness had to come from buildings and civic choices.

Under these circimstances, I find it surprising that you would not opt for FoL.

Top Bottom