The Lost History of the Grigori

Year 252

Over the years the Illians have finally grown to respect the Grigori. Recognizing the need for an ally against the Fellowship, Auric himself initiated negotiations for an Open Borders agreement with us. As the Illians are the only other nation that does not follow the Fellowship, we gladly signed the treaty.
Spoiler :

Our Adepts have tapped into the mana source near Costa Del Sol. We are now able to harness the power of Fire.

Year 253

I fear that we have arrived too late to claim the Reagents for our uses. However perhaps if we settle nearby we can convince the local populace to join us...

The void left by the destruction of the Holy City of the Fellowship is still felt all over Erebus. Some mortals now turn to Kilmorph, the goddess of the Earth for guidance.

Year 256

We have built the settlement of Gongaga near the Reagents. An intensive campaign to influence the local populace away from Sheelba rule has begun. No doubt this will cause friction with her but Reagents are key to unlocking the heights of arcane power.

Year 258 - Thessa Counterattacks

The first wave of Thessa's army have been granted passage through Arendel's realm and have now reached our border near Costa Del Sol.

Thessa's attack group is mainly composed of highly mobile Horsemen. We currently have many battle hardened melee units, Hunters and a fire Mage stationed in Costa Del Sol. Our chief concern is the vulnerability of our nearby fire node.
Spoiler :

As the elven Horsemen charge down the open tundra toward our city, our Mage hurls fireballs at the leading Horseman.

Year 259

Caught completely by surprise at our mastery of arcane fire, the elves are single-handedly routed by our Mage. Thessa's army retreats to regroup at Arendel's city of Torrolerial. Our Mage relentlessly pursues them, even inside Arendel's realm.

Sensing that we cannot afford a war on 2 fronts, Jonas "asks" for our secrets of Currency. Considering our current situation, we had no choice but to cede to his demand.
Spoiler :

Year 260

Emboldened by our acceptance of his previous demand, Jonas believes that he can push his dreams of bloodlust upon us. We have firmly rejected his outrageous demand. As an ardent member of the Fellowship of Leaves, we believe that he too is plotting vengeance upon us for the razing of Idul.
Spoiler :

Thessa's army cower in Torrolerial as our Mage continues his arcane bombardment. Since the elven cowards refuse to meet us in open battle, we have decided to go out and get them ourselves. The Orcsbane Axemen are leading a contingent of Mercenaries and Hunters to Torrolerial.

Year 261 - Elven Ruse

The elven retreat was a ruse to lure us out of Costa Del Sol! As soon as our contingent left our city, the elven forces immediatly mobilized. They outmaneuvered us and came around the other side of the lake, using the forest to their advantage. Both Costa Del Sol and the lightly defended city of Edge are within their reach. The garrison in Edge includes a unit of Archers, Mercenaries and Axemen fortified behind city Walls.
Spoiler :

Year 261 - continued

Thessa is counting on the forest to protect her troops from our army, however it will not protect them from our Mages' fireballs. Our second Mage that was en route to Costa Del Sol joins in.

Year 262 - The Battle of Costa Del Sol

Thessa's force begins charging toward Costa Del Sol but are met by our army just outside the city. The battle begins...

Weakened by repeated bombardment by our Mages, the elven forces are thoroughly defeated. To add insult to injury, our Mage spars against a half-dead Horseman.

Following a second crushing defeat at Grigori hands, Thessa has chosen to accept our offer of peace. However I doubt that Thessa has forgiven us for the razing of Idul, and elven memory is long. We may one day have to deal with her, permanently.

It is with great relief that the Peace Treaty has been signed. A new age of prosperity begins as we forgo our focus on Nationhood in favour of increased Consumption.

However our joy for the new Peace Treaty is tempered by a bad omen. The most insidious of religions has been founded this year: the Ashen Veil.

Year 264

Our Dancing Bear in Gongaga has won the hearts of the local populace. They have left the harsh rule of Sheelba to join the Grigori. We now have access to Reagents.

Year 265

An aerial survey of Sheelba's territory.
Spoiler :

Year 267

Sheelba has come to us with a tempting offer. She desires our secrets of Elementalism in exchange for her knowledge of Military Strategy and gold. We have accepted her offer.

Spoiler Military Strategy tech :

Aaah, the Ashen Veil. Its Armageddon Time! Another holy city to be razed.

:lol: I not really sure about that. Maybe if I let the AC go up high, all the evil civs and Arendel will start fighting each other. Then I could clean up what's left. Hell terrain would be a small price to pay to get rid of Arendel.

Year 268

The counterpart of the Ashen Veil, The Order, has been founded this year. This is no doubt the beginning of yet another clash between so called Good and Evil that will result in more pointless deaths. Let the believers slaughter each other if that is their wish, so long as they leave the Grigori alone.

As part of our border consolidation project, we have annexed the barbarian cities of Nininsnal and Straatus into our nation. We are in the process of securing and fortifying the eastern mountain passes.

Year 269

Our sages have recently discovered the revolutionary knowledge of Mathematics.

We have sent a Hunter into Sheelba's domain as a spy. He will provide us invaluable information about her cities and armies.
Spoiler Sheelba territory :

Year 273

Arendel's self-righteousness is beginning to tire me. She insists that we stop allowing our City States to rule themselves. Instead she thinks it would be better for all Grigori be ruled by an Aristocracy. Our people have long believed that a ruling class based on birthright is completely absurd. She did not take our rejection of her "suggestion" kindly.

Year 274

Our Hunter inside Sheelba's domain has located the Holy City of the Ashen Veil, Naga's Tail. It is a place of blood and sacrifice that may bring Armageddon to us all if left unchecked.

Attracted by our strong scholarly and arcane traditions, the Great Sage Shoftiel has joined our nation.

Year 275

A promising young Adept named Comillo has attracted the attention of the arcane masters. Known for his insatiable thirst for arcane knowledge, he spends most of his time inside the walls of the Midgar Academy and the Great Library.

We have finished the construction of a node that will allow us to tap into the power of Air.

Year 276

Religion continues to spread to Grigori cities, despite our best efforts.

Year 277

With the help of the Great Sage Luciaqua, we have discovered the secrets of Summoning.
Spoiler Summoning tech :

Year 280

Great Sages continue to flock to our Great Library.

In an effort to improve relations with the Doviello, we have signed an Open Borders treaty.

The prosperity and wealth of our nation has allowed us to hire a Chief Cartographer. He has been comissioned to draw a detailed map of Grigori geography.
Spoiler Grigori Map (warning: VERY large image) :

Spoiler Cartography tech :

Year 281

The Great Sage Shoftiel has uncovered the knowledge of Arcane Lore. Our scholars and sages are extremely excited by this new development. They whisper amongst themselves about the power of Strength of Will.
Spoiler Arcane Lore tecn :

Some mortals have now turned to Lugus for guidance.

The mining settlement of Nibelheim has been founded near sources of Gems and Copper, inside the Great Shield.

Year 283

Arendel's city of Gon Gatha is the Holy City for both the Runes of Kilmorph and the Empyrean.

Currently 2 holy shrines exist on Erebus: the Empyrean Dies Diei and the Ashen Veil Stigmata on the Unborn.

There is a heated debate among the Grigori elders and our citizens on whether we should allow the gods to continue using mortals as their pawns. There is even talk of eradicating the influence of the gods from Erebus altogether.

Year 285

Our Hunters have refined their art of Tracking their prey. They are now progressing toward Animal Handling.
Spoiler Tracking tech :

Year 287

The Gem mining settlement of Wutai has been founded, south of Nibelheim.

Year 288

This year the Council of Esus has been founded, in Jonas' city of Deep Dark.

Year 296 - The 3rd Centennial Council

This year we celebrate the 3rd century since the forging of the Grigori nation. The rise of a multitude of religions in the last century disturbs me greatly. I fear that we can no longer stand idle as the gods make pawns of mortals in the futile, yet eternal, struggle between Good and Evil.

Sages studying the orcish Prophecy of Ragnarok predict that as the divine conflict between Good and Evil spreads in this world, Erebus will begin its descent toward Armageddon. It is foretold that the first sign shall be a Blight that will strike all nations.
Spoiler Prophecy of Ragnarok :

The Prophecy foretells that the great conflict will be sparked by the entry of the Infernals into Erebus via an Infernal Pact between Hyborem himself and mortal worshippers of the Ashen Veil. All evidence points to Sheelba as the foretold pawn of Hyborem. While she openly portrays herself has a faithful of the declining Fellowship of Leaves, we have confirmation that she is in fact the founder of the Ashen Veil in Naga's Tail.
Spoiler Religion Summary :

Our spies within the orcish nation have brought information on the location of the Ashen Veil center of power. They have even recently founded a chapter in our city of Gongaga.
Spoiler Map of Ashen Veil sphere of influence :

It is imperative that we stop the Veil from instigating yet another war between Good and Evil on Erebus. Blinded by their religions, the other leaders cannot see what dangers the Ashen Veil presents. It is up to the Grigori alone to save Erebus from the gods.

Year 297 - Gearing for war

We have secretly begun preparations for the destruction of Naga's Tail. This also implies preparing for an all out war against Sheelba. The orcs' love of war is well known across Erebus, as is their prowess in battle.

Sheelba's elite forces are composed of iron-clad orcish Champions, reputed for their cruelty and savagery. However our spies report that our knowledge of the arcane is at least a century ahead of the orcs, and that it shall be their undoing.

Our Hunters have discovered the secrets of Animal Handling and are now training in the way of the Ranger.
Spoiler Animal Handling tech :

The old Hunters have a legend that woodsmen who live in the woods for too long develop a Feral Bond with the animals of the wild. Sometimes, this bond become so strong that a man and a wolf become one. The product of such a union is a half-man, half-wolf creature called a werewolf.

Year 299 - The Blight

Divine folly has struck Erebus once more as the first sign of the Prophecy has come to pass.

As our citizens die by the thousands from famine and disease, our Water Mages do their best to mend the land. But even they cannot heal the plague-stricken or bring back the dead.

The Grigori look up to me for guidance and wisdom, yet I was unable to foresee and prevent this Blight. Why did I not take the Prophecy more seriously? Why did I allow the Ashen Veil to spread unchecked? Did my refusal to ally with the Order cause this? I have failed the Grigori and now I must atone.

Year 301

Sheelba's inhumanity finally reveals itself to us. Knowing full well that she is the cause of this famine and plague, she attempts to take advantage of us in this time of need. We scoff at her offer.
Spoiler Sheelba's trade offer :

Year 305-Sheelba Reveals Her True Self

Sheelba finally sheds her pretense of faith to the Fellowship, and now openly worships the Ashen Veil. She now demands that we stop trading with the Ljosalfar immediately. We are stalling her for the moment, as we recover from the Blight and prepare to strike out at her by surprise.

Groo the Wanderer
An adventurer was found collapsed in the snow, half-dead from starvation. We are tending to him and nursing him back to health. Even in these desperate times, we must find a place in our hearts for the unfortunate.

Year 308

9 years after the Blight, we have finally mended the land.

Population before the Blight

Population in the aftermath

The final death toll is estimated to be almost 2 million Grigori lives. 2 million lives lost to the folly of the divine. Now that the famine and the plague has been dealth with, the Grigori are crying out for the blood of the Veil. Our war preparations have thus restarted.

Year 311 - Elven Trade Embargo

Sheelba's faith in the Ashen Veil has angered the elven nations. Relations between the orcs and elves have turned hostile, just short of an armed conflict. As a result, all three elven leaders have declared a trade embargo against Sheelba. Recently, Arendel has approached us requesting that we join them in the embargo, a request we gladly accepted. This is a fortuitous turn of events indeed. We are now assured that they will not come to Sheelba's assistance.

Spoiler Elven Trade Embargo :

Year 314-Taming the Ancient Wasteland

A barren land of ice, the Ancient Wasteland has long been uninhabited, save for the nomadic barbarian tribes that prey on unsuspecting travelers. Deep in the Wasteland stand abandoned Citadels, the remnants of a past age. The Grigori have always avoided the Wasteland, believing it to be cursed.

However in an effort to expand our mastery of the arcane, we have sent an expedition into the Ancient Wasteland to claim a source of mana that will aid us in times of war.

Year 316

The settlement of North Corel has been estrablished on the edge of the Ancient Wasteland.

Year 321 - The Infernal Pact

It is as we had feared. Sheelba has signed an Infernal Pact with the demons and has opened a portal from Hell, allowing Hyborem and his servants entry into our world. The Infernals have created a city on the ice bordering the Ancient Wasteland and Jonas' domain. I have contacted Hyborem himself in order to determine his agenda on Erebus.

As I walked into the throne room, Hyborem gave me a startled look and immediately reached for his giant axe. When he realized that I had not reached for my own weapon, he paused.

- "So Cassiel, what brings an angel to this corner of Creation?" he asked.
- "I am here on behalf of the Grigori, to insure that the Infernals stay out of our affairs and leave us alone."
- "Ah, yes we could certainly come to an agreement. I shall leave your servants alone if you do likewise with my servants."
- "The Grigori are not my servants."
- "I do not understand. Then what are you doing on Erebus?" He asked, seeming genuinely confused.
- "That is not important for you to know. There is also another matter we need to discuss. We have a quarrel with Sheelba and we expect you to stay out of it."
- "You know very well I have an Infernal Pact with her, it is through that very Pact that I was able to cross into this world. It would only be fitting that I show her some...gratitude, after all."
- "And I also know that, by the terms of your Pact, every dark-hearted soul that dies is reborn in Hell bound to you in eternal servitude. In this war we expect many death on Sheelba's side."
- His deep and sinister laugh resonated across the palace. "Indeed, I am painfully short on servants at the moment, I could certainly use some more."​

Thessa's Return

Meanwhile, Thessa has established a growing hegemony by incorporating the Doviello and Amelanchier's elves into her empire. Charadon and Amelanchier are now nothing more than her vassals. It is clear that she has not forgotten her defeat at our hands during the Agnostic Crusade. We will have to watch her closely.

Spoiler Thessa's hegemony :

Trade

We have traded secrets with the few allies we have left. In exchange for our secrets of Summoning and a sum of 45 gold, Arendel has provided us with the knowledge of Feudalism. Auric desired our secrets of Summoning and Military strategy and has given us his knowledge of Taxation and Fishing in exchange.

Spoiler Techs received :

Year 323

Our Hunters have located the Holy City of the Octopus Overlords inside Jonas' domain.

The Feral Bond may not just be a legend. There has been recent sightings of a half-man, half-wolf in the forest near Kalm. Though no Grigori have been attacked yet, half-eaten barbarian corpses are being found all over the forest. We have sent Rangers to investigate.
Spoiler Feral Bond tech :

Year 327

We must strike soon, before her Golden Age makes her stronger.

Our generals have drawn up plans for our incursion into Clan territory. The main army will enter through Sludgehome Pass and quickly take the city of Tu'eth. From there they will make their way to Naga's Tails.
Spoiler Battle plans :

Year 329 - Stephanos

The 2nd sign of the Prophecy of Ragnarok is coming to pass. Stephanos emerged out of the Ancient Wasteland to attack the unsuspecting settlers of North Corel.

Rangers valiantly attempting to defend North Corel lost their souls to him and were enslaved. Fortunately, a band of Axemen were eventually able to prevail against Stephanos and freed their souls, though it was already too late to save their lives.

Sheelba's Isolation

Sheelba's economy has been strained ever since the trade embargo. She is threatening us to lift the embargo, but we will not be ordered around.

Spoiler Sheelba's threat :

Year 330 - The Arrival of Basium

The eternal divine conflict escalates as the Ljosalfar build the Mercurian Gate to summon Basium into our world. Arendel, along with Basium and her elven brethen, have vowed nothing less than the Ashen Veil's annihilation. The battle between the forces of Good and Evil has begun.
Spoiler War against Sheelba :

Like me, Basium is a fallen angel. But that is where the similariy ends. His obsessive and ruthless war against Evil makes him just as monstrous as the ones he seeks to destroy. While Sheelba is our enemy he will aid us, but beware should we stop to serve his purpose. Basium's presence on Erebus is as abhorent as Hyborem's and only more mortals deaths will result.

Our sages have developed Sanitation, which will allow us to combat disease and plague that is sure to strike Erebus as Armageddon nears.
Spoiler Sanitation tech :

Year 334 - The Second Agnostic Crusade

We have declared war on Sheelba and our forces are marching toward the orcish city of Tu'eth. Our main combatants are Ranger and Mercenaries, aided by Mages and Horsemen. The Mages have already begun bombardment of the orcish fortifications. As Sheelba is busy battling the elves and angels, we expect little resistance.
Spoiler :

With the arrival of Basium on Erebus, Hyborem seeks allies. Though Hyborem and I have an agreement, we are far from being on friendly terms. We have refused his offer of an Open Borders treaty.
Spoiler Hyborem's offer :

As allies of circumstance in the war against Sheelba, Amelanchier has granted us safe passage through his territory.
Spoiler Open borders with Amelanchier :

Year 335 - Attack on the Illians

In their quest to eradicate all Evil on Erebus, Arendel and Basium have attacked Auric as well.

Arendel has called upon the trees of the Ancient Forest to aid in her battle against Evil. Sheelba and Auric cannot hope to prevail against these creatures who are as ancient as Erebus itself. Even our mightiest Mage Comillo is awed by the power of the forest.

The Baron Duin Halfmorn

Meanwhile, our Mages have finally uncovered the living incarnation of the Feral Bond roaming the forests of Kalm. Scholars have identified him as the Baron Duin Halfmorn, once a mortal from a past age. A bloodthirsty human who feasted on the bodies of his opponents, he was punished by the gods with the curse of Lycanthropy. Though I have misgivings about leaving such a creature roam free among the Grigori, our Mages have assured us that they have him bound to our service. One thing is certain, the Baron will strike terror into the hearts of our enemies.

Year 335 (continued) - Pact of Angels and Demons

In Hell he is a prince, but on Erebus it is mortals who rule. Hyborem's burning lust for destruction is tempered by his instinct for survival. Understanding that his very existence is subject to the whims of mortal creatures, Hyborem has come to me offering a Pact of servitude. No doubt his wounded pride would find bondage to a "mere mortal" unbearable. As Basium and I are the only other divine beings on Erebus, I seem to be his only alternative. With Hyborem under our control, we may be able to avert Armageddon after all.

His kind are not known for their loyalty, except when enforced by the threat of destruction. A threat we are willing to carry out should he betray us.

Year 336 - Orcish Alliance

Jonas' love of fire and destruction would not allow him to stand idle as all of Erebus is engulfed in war. He and Sheelba have agreed to unite against the Grigori. All orcs are now our enemies.

Thessa's hatred for Sheelba has softened her century long hatred for the Grigori. With her economy strained by the war, she has decided to re-open the lucrative trade routes between our nations.

Spoiler Diplomatic summary :

As per the terms of our Pact with Hyborem we have traded the secrets of Feral Bond, Sanitation and Feudalism, in exchange for his secrets of Festivals, Smelting, Priesthood, Necromancy, and Way of the Wicked.
Spoiler Infernal trade :

Year 337

We have located the Holy City of the Order, Kingsport. It is right next to our border near Edge.

Top Bottom