The names thread

Kaleb

Deity
Seeing as we aren't far away from founding our second city I thought we should have a thread dedicated to discussing names for things like cities, landmarks and units.

Let's keep this thread to discussions around just names.

Wouldn't that be giving something away...

Dry Gulch doesn't suggest anything like gold or wealth. Not a pretty name, either.

from Wikipedia:

Kazakhstan has the second largest uranium, chromium, lead, and zinc reserves, the third largest manganese reserves, the fifth largest copper reserves, and ranks in the top ten for coal, iron, and gold. It is also an exporter of diamonds. Perhaps most significant for economic development, Kazakhstan also currently has the 11th largest proven reserves of both oil and natural gas.[21]

we are the greatest!! we should be alright for making nukes

But what about potassium?

have we decided on this then?

I don't think we actually decided on Xanadu. If that name let's everyone know we have gold in the city radius then we shouldn't use it.

We should use Kasakh names, ideally, and not signal we got a key ore there. They monitor city rankings and such manically, and they would see our name on the diplo screen later, overanalyzing it. A good proposal with that in mind would be:

Alexandria Eschates (Alexandria at the end of the world), which gives everyone an idea its off limits. It has to have a good name, as it will rise in influence, but not giving too many hints.

I would keep Almaty for later, as it's a modern city. And we may want to relocate our capital to the centre anyway which would make Almaty (which I think just means 'capital city' anyway)

I am against Xanadu for the reasons I said earlier. It also a very cheesy song! Names can't be too long either, the full name of our capital is Hazrat-e Turkestan but there wasn't space. Hence just Hazrat-e

We can always rename the city of course, but let's go for an ancient Kazakh city name :)

I'm fine with Pavlodar, it's a northern city on the banks of the Irtysh, so appropriate :)

Btw in my previous post I was of course getting Astana and Almaty muddled up :(

I would like to suggest Taraz as the name for our 3rd city, by the sheep probably.

I think Kyzylorda is a cool name. It means "Red Center" and the real city is almost a polar opposite of what our city 2 will be. This means that we will not be giving away anything by naming our "Xanadu" Kyzylorda.
http://www.world66.com/asia/centralasia/kazakhstan/kyzylorda

I also think Taraz is an awesome name for the third city.

If we want the names to be city appropriate rather than designed to throw enemies off then I like Oskemen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskemen
It has a very similar location to our city 2

City 2 is a pretty lame city name:sad: Lets put our new city name to a vote... even the "do nothing" United States congress can get a Post office named every once in a while...:lol:

The names suggested are:
1. Xanadu - 1 vote
2. Dry Gultch - 1 vote
3. Alexandria Eschates - 1 vote
4. Almaty - 1 vote
5. Pavlodar - 2 votes
6. Kyzylorda - 1 vote
7. Oskemen

I vote for Kyzylorda.

I would pick Alexandria Eschates, as this may confuse them if they google it or wiki it. It is the end of the world so to speak. So they may suspect it to be on a coast, far to the south or somewhere very desolate, but it is in fact only hemmed in with mountains.

I want a name that messes up their analysis a bit.

How can the others teams get our city name if they don't have eyes on it?

They can learn it two ways. They can observe it in the diplomacy screen later, and they can see it if it pulls rank with wonders in top 5 cities.

Top Bottom