The new Q&A confirmed 4U for each civ

On the other hand, I'm very disappointed by the other news in the announcement, that each civ will have one UU and one piece of unique infrastructure. I think it was a strength of Civ V that different Civs gained their power in different ways: some from infrastructure, some from focused military boosts, some from highly impactful UAs that needed to be balanced with weak or situational UUs, and I think its a mistake to give up this way of distinguishing Civs for the sake of making their bonuses parallel.

except that all the 2xUU civs were considered the worst civs, both in gameplay balance and design.

except that all the 2xUU civs were considered the worst civs, both in gameplay balance and design.

It does not mean, however, that they were by default uninteresting or bad to play. I understand the MP scene would consider them as worse to 1xUU 1xUB civs, but MP scene throws flavor and historical relevancy out of the window in favour of number crunching, and UBs are tailored for that.

So we're getting a Civ V-esque Rameses, except Chinese! :crazyeye:

It's quite appropriate for Qin. The guy killed a lot of workers unifying the Great Wall into a single structure and he also had the Terracotta Army made just to decorate his tomb.

I'm not sure I agree. Some of the 2xUU civs didn't have very compelling designs, but others fit together very well (such as Mongolia with its Keshiks and Khans). As for the balance, there were 2xUU civs that missed in both directions (the Ottomans, for instance, were a seriously underwhelming civ, while Korea was one of the best) and others closer to the middle (England, Greece, Sweden), so I don't think there's any inherent issue with balancing 2xUU civs. I do think there were perhaps too many of these civs (Rome for instance, probably should have had some form of infrastructure instead of the Ballista), but I don't think its a good idea to throw away the option when it makes sense for a specific civ.

OK, where does this talk about a combat bonus on America's home continent come from ?
I hope that's just conjecture because that would be really stupid since the USA was done fighting wars in America during Roosevelt's presidency (apart from some finishing touches against the Native Americans) and -what's far worse- really boring gameplaywise.

OK, where does this talk about a combat bonus on America's home continent come from ?
I hope that's just conjecture because that would be really stupid since the USA was done fighting wars in America during Roosevelt's presidency (apart from some finishing touches against the Native Americans) and -what's far worse- really boring gameplaywise.

It was revealed during last night's Q&A.

It came from the Facebook Q&A, but it felt like they were not quite ready to release the info, so it is not completely sure where their combat bonus is

Honestly I don't quite see how the workers will only have 4 charges in the classical era and then lose a charge in the renaissance era???
Probably relates to when the worker is build. Seems like an unnecessary amount of complication to go through to actually remove a charge on transition to Medieval(?) era. So if worker is build in ancient/classic era, it has 4 charges, if build later, it has 3 charges.

On a side note, this confirms both ancient and classical era is still here. Hard to imagine medieval era is not also present, so that is kind of good news for those of us concerned about whether they had shortened down the game span.

I dont get this thread at all, why is it either two seperate UAs for China or they lose both the builder charge and rush ability later? That's both stupid, they can perfectly well keep the charge bonus and only lose the wonder rush.

I dont get this thread at all, why is it either two seperate UAs for China or they lose both the builder charge and rush ability later? That's both stupid, they can perfectly well keep the charge bonus and only lose the wonder rush.

We don't know what the Chinese civ unique ability. We only know of the leader ability which is "extra builder charge AND ability to use charge to rush ancient and classical wonders only".

Exactly. Just because a portion of the Leader Unique is time-constrained doesn't mean all of it is or that the worker charge portion is part of the primary UA.

In civ 4 there was an advanced option for unrestricted leader, so you could play as monzeuma of germany.
It might be the same here. But indeed can be multiple leaders too.

In civ 4 there was an advanced option for unrestricted leader, so you could play as monzeuma of germany.
It might be the same here. But indeed can be multiple leaders too.

Which reminds me, I've always dreamt of having the option to create our own Civs by choosing between the different UU/UI/UA/UB available.

-Choose icon (even upload your own, a man can dream)
-Choose colours
-Choose leader
-Choose UA
-Choose 2 UU
-Choose 1 UB or UI
-Name your civ and save it.

Hell, I'm so excited about this feature I'm going to create a request for our mighty modding community.

So there is a civilization bonus, UU, and a Ub/Ui for every civ.

Then there's the leader bonus which is tied to that leader.

The only logical conclusion is that we will have multiple leaders, at least at some point. Otherwise why bother making that distinction?

Which reminds me, I've always dreamt of having the option to create our own Civs by choosing between the different UU/UI/UA/UB available.

-Choose icon (even upload your own, a man can dream)
-Choose colours
-Choose leader
-Choose UA
-Choose 2 UU
-Choose 1 UB or UI
-Name your civ and save it.

I have also dreamed of this.

So there is a civilization bonus, UU, and a Ub/Ui for every civ.

Then there's the leader bonus which is tied to that leader.

The only logical conclusion is that we will have multiple leaders, at least at some point. Otherwise why bother making that distinction?

Or, as was mentioned, there will be an advanced option to swap leaders for fun like in Civ IV.

We don't know what the Chinese civ unique ability. We only know of the leader ability which is "extra builder charge AND ability to use charge to rush ancient and classical wonders only".

That's my point, it can very well be one and the same UA, but the rush part doesnt ONLY work in those eras, but on those wonders, and everything else is unaffected by era.

America's Ability is NOT revealed yet. Roosevelts leader ability is the combat bonus + rough rider unit. His ability is two parts.

That's my point, it can very well be one and the same UA, but the rush part doesnt ONLY work in those eras, but on those wonders, and everything else is unaffected by era.

Well if all civs can use charges to rush wonders then China's UA seems pretty weak because it is just one extra charge. Also, if other civs can rush all wonders, limiting China to only rushing early game wonders makes no sense.

So I am assuming that other civs will not be able to rush wonders and can only use 3 charges for tile improvements whereas China gets 4 charges and can rush ancient and classical wonders. I think the limit on ancient and classical wonders is designed to prevent the UA from being OP. If China got an extra charge and could rush all wonders that would be insane so it is limited to only ancient and classical wonders. This way it is a strong UA in the early game but the advantage will quickly go away.

I suspect a lot of the era specific UA's will be like this. The idea is to give each civ one era where they will be really strong. Era specific UAs are interesting too because they encourage the player to use a certain gameplay style at certain points in the game. For example, China will want to wonder spam early on but after the classical era, will probably switch to a different strategy.

Top Bottom