The Old and the New Preview Thread

@germanicus: as I have said, this NES is not due to start until August or September, not in the next few weeks. Keep that in mind.

I've updated the reservations for the first post to keep it with what we have so far been provided. I'm also including alternates for those who also requested a particular nation, assuming that it was their first choice. That way if when the release comes, and a person doesn't join, there'll be someone waiting in the wings.

I still would like constructive comments on the ruleset thoughts if anyone has them.

Are there any Swedish/Danish enclaves on the Gold Coast, as per OTL, should there be any?

Could I switch my main reservation to Japan?
edit:.. Why weren't my second or third choices added.. :\

I still would like constructive comments on the ruleset thoughts if anyone has them.

I REALLY like the idea of 'issues' for faction stabilities. To me its like BJ's faction power/loyalty but gives you an idea of what they are into. I like the idea of projects meant to manipulate this.

I also REALLY like the idea of economic control percentages but i want to ask how trade tarifs fit into this (sorry- rereading Power and Plenty again).

I.

@germanicus: as I have said, this NES is not due to start until August or September, not in the next few weeks. Keep that in mind.

I've updated the reservations for the first post to keep it with what we have so far been provided. I'm also including alternates for those who also requested a particular nation, assuming that it was their first choice. That way if when the release comes, and a person doesn't join, there'll be someone waiting in the wings.

Oh.. must of missed that.

Then I will post my list again a bit revised I originally wanted a smaller state but if it is starting in several months then I will get a more challenging state.

1. Roman Republic
2. Milan
3. Venice

I really like the army organization stat because it actually gives people incentives to keep their armies small.

One question: I there any way for people to raise military quality other than through random events?

The only thing I might change would be research. My idea would be to put a section about upcoming technologies. Players would be allowed to invest in certain techs. This would speed up research and would give the investor a higher quality version. These investments would cause private industry to focus more on the general field this piece of technology came from, for better or worse.

@immaculate: I imagine that a nation's total economy is likely to be inclusive of trade revenues, and the government control will include tariffs over trade in an abstract manner.

@Heraclius49: Unlike in my previous NESes, here military qualities will raise a lot more easily and more often. This is mostly because like I said with economy, there's a good deal of inflation here. Plus, quality will also help reflect the overall type of army you really have, most in terms of equipment and tactics. I.e. a level 8 Army Quality is a standard European Army in 1840. The United States Army in 1860 would be rated a 16 based on my current projections. The Wermacht in 1940 would be 50 Army Quality. Unless you have no military at all, you can expect your army to grow in terms of quality fairly regularly. The speed of this can be increased by foreign aid or fighting in various wars and of course, by luck. The approach you describe in technology is fairly similar to what we did in ABNW 2. I'm not allowing this approach because it's easier for me to moderate with things out of player control, plus we'll be able to allow for a more realistic system of development. To incentivize private industry, reduce government control, and that'll do the trick for faster advancement.

The more you release control of the economy, the faster it grows. Beautiful. Government loans/grants could affect this heavily, right? Reforms, policies?

How "broad" are military units going to be? Standard "brigade", "artillery division", etc, in addition to the unit design system you used in ABNW2?

I am up for any nation.

1) Austria.
2) Persia.
3) Poland.
4) Vietnam.

Military units will typically be on a brigade scale, though this will vary in terms of later units, particularly armor. As I discovered with ABNW 2, an Armored Brigade is not a viable unit on its own, and needed to be reduced in size. That of course would be addressed particularly once the NES reached that stage.

Government loans and grants may help technologies and so forth, but initially the best you can do is to simply let the free market reign as much as possible to sponsor economic and technological growth. Now, I can make a bit of an exception to this, since it will be a balancing act: the needs of the military/state in comparison to the need for economic and technological growth.

Can you tell me about the Aztecs? How did they survive? (Monteczuma not welcoming the Spnish as gods may be a start) How is their tech compared to the USA or Europe? Are they Christinized?

At the moment I'm not really going to go into the actual history, but I will discuss how nations are NOW. At the moment they are fairly behind technologically to the USA and Europe. They are not Christianized, though Christianity has been seeping in over the past hundred years. The Christians are not too popular among the government and are mostly viewed as a tool of the Spanish. The Aztec Empire is quite likely to face internal disruption due to the Christian underworld.

How about America? They trudging along roughly OTL, or are there any major deviations I might want to know about?

Like I said, I'm not going into the history itself, just the situation as it is. With the United States, it's roughly as it would be, though I am working on revising some of the borders. There's still the struggle between free and slave states. Meanwhile, American settlers have been poaching into Spanish and Swedish possessions in North America, as well as beginning some small settlements west of the Mississippi. Overall though, American settlers have not made it as far west as they did at this point historically.

So politically, I get the understanding that their is still the sectionalism before the civil war, and not much else? It's still republicanism in the form it was back then?

@Lizard King: Yes, still the same setup politically, though the state lines are a bit different than they would be historically due to the altered borders.

@Omega124: At the moment no final decision has been made on stats of any kind, stability or military. At the moment I believe that the Aztecs are NOT going to be able to expand initially into white space. Also yes, human sacrifice is still in force, hence some of the growing elements of Christianity among the under classes.

Considering that Spain is a "Holy Empire" is there any notable religious rivalry between it and the other, for the most part Protestant, colonial powers?

Top Bottom