The Old and the New Preview Thread

Yes, all nations must have the same factions displayed in their stats. It'll make moderating MUCH simpler for me if everything is standardized.

In regards to the United States, I'd be assuming an influence level of 0. However, there have been times in American history when clergy of all religions have managed to enforce influence upon the government. Therefore a stat for them may not be used at first, but may certainly emerge into some prominence later in the NES.

@milarqui: See ZeletDude's answer, and add to it: because those filfthy American immigrants keep sneaking over the border and settling in your North American colony.

I've determined to rework stability all together. After considerable soul searching on whether or not I could pull off the current system, I'm reducing it to a single stability stat plus a new stat which'll list the main political hot topics within your nation as well as support for the various viewpoints in each issue.

Nevermind.. Lol

I've determined to rework stability all together. After considerable soul searching on whether or not I could pull off the current system, I'm reducing it to a single stability stat plus a new stat which'll list the main political hot topics within your nation as well as support for the various viewpoints in each issue.

This has the Circuit stamp of approval.

Now here is another sampler from the creation of the NES. The following are the various army organization types available at the start of the NES. It pained me to use broad generalizations such as "Asiatic," "Islamic," and "Orthodox." If anyone has better terms for those, let me know.

Army Organization Types

Pre-Gunpowder
Cost per unit: 1 GSP, 1 Manpower, Cannot Build Artillery

Firepower: 0
Melee: 0
Mobility: 0
Discipline: 0

Early Gunpowder
Cost per unit: 1 GSP, 1 Manpower

Firepower: 1
Melee: 1
Discipline: 0

Asiatic
Cost per unit: 2 GSP, 1 Manpower

Firepower: 1
Melee: 2
Discipline: 1

Islamic
Cost per unit: 3 GSP, 1 Manpower

Firepower: 2
Mobility: 2

Orthodox

Firepower: 3
Mobility: 1

European Standard 1820

Firepower: 4

Spanish Army 1820
Cost per unit: 4 GSP, 1 Manpower

Firepower: 5

British Army 1820
Cost per unit: 4 GSP, 1 Manpower

Swedish Army 1820
Cost per unit: 5 GSP, 1 Manpower

Discipline: 2

Since you've been talking Milarqui, and as an example to the others here, I'll now provide a bit of a sample of what stability will look like for all nations. Here is the current (incomplete) stats of the Empire of Holy Spain:

Empire of Holy Spain: Milarqui
Theocratic Monarchy
Capital
Education:
Religion: Catholic Christianity
Manpower: Bank (+Per turn)
Total Economy: #
Economic Control: %
Government Spending Points: Bank (+Per Turn)
Stability: 7
Issues of Concern:
-Religion and Government (75%)
-Control over Colonies (60%)
-Slavery (25%)
Army: Brigades
Army Quality: #
Army Organization Style: Spanish Army 1820
Navy: Ships
Navy Quality: #
Colonies:
Spoiler :

Algeria:
-Garrison:
-Stability: 7/Islamic Influences (50%)
Cuba:
-Garrison
-Stability: 7/Slavery (40%)
Guinea
-Garrison
-Stability: 9/Conversion of Natives (25%)
Grand Florida:
-Garrison:
-Stability: 4/Joining the United States (80%)
Hispaniola:
-Garrison:
-Stability: 8/Slavery (45%)
Morocco:
-Garrison:
-Stability: 6/Islamic Influences (45%)
New Spain:
-Garrison
-Stability: 5/Regional Independence (75%)
Peru:
-Garrison
-Stability: 7/Eliminate Native Population (60%)
Philippines:
-Garrison:
-Stability: 9/Conversion of Natives (30%)
Puerto Rico:
-Garrison:
-Stability: 8/Slavery (40%)
Spanish India:
-Garrison
-Stability: 8/Conversion of Natives (40%)

Well, Slavery just means that messing with it (one way or another) will spark tensions and disputes and thus your stability. yes, there's some who call for abolishing it or expanding it, but in your stats it simply means taht it's an issue that you may or may not want to tread lightly upon.

Exactly. Based on the actions you take involving each issue, stability will go up or down (particularly based upon how vehemently people defend their ideals on the issue)

Some more news on this NES: I'm advancing the starting date to the end of July. No exact date yet, but we'll either see this NES launch some time between the middle of July and first week of August. Primarily this is because my interest has definitely risen in seeing the world here take shape, and I'll be working solely on setting this up over the next few weeks.

Whenever they become ready, I'll be posting various elements of the stats and rules up on this thread, including unit costs, nation stats, the ruleset itself, and the beginnings of the player funded tech tree.

What would be Spain's estimated marmy and navy quality be? Is the Navy goingbto have it's own organization or will its ability only be determined by quality?

Spain's Army and Navy quality will both be "9". Navies do not have their own organizations, and will instead have designs for individual types of ships. Those will be what are more important in the scheme of things, though initially there won't be much deviation in ship designs.

Since I've been up and about tonight, unable to sleep, here's some fresh stats. I've completed the banked manpower stats, as well as Education and military qualities. About manpower, this will be reduced for all nations once I actually add in military units. Also, each point of manpower is relatively equivelant to 3,000 able-bodied men. Theoretically, this would mean an absurd amount of troops will be available to all nations from the very beginning. However, I have created two opposing factors which will prevent using up all your manpower until the era of total war.

First of all, the costs of units in terms of GSP will be fairly prohibitive for the first stage of this NES, as some of you may have already gathered by looking at the military organization types above. Second of all, your manpower per turn is calculated from a percentage of how much manpower you have in your bank. Therefore if all your manpower has been used for the military, the people involved are not procreating for the betterment of the race. This has the added benefit of encouraging demobilization of troops upon the conclusion of a war.

First off to show off colonial manpower stats we have the United Kingdom:

United Kingdom of Great Britain: Heraclius49
Parliamentary Monarchy
Capital
Education: Localized Schooling
Religion: Protestant Christianity
Manpower: 1,850 (+Per turn)
Stability: 8
Issues of Concern:
-Slavery (60%)
-Control over India (50%)
-Religion in Government (45%)
-Overseas Expansion (25%)
Army Quality: 9
Army Organization Style: British Army 1820
Navy Quality: 10
Colonies:
Spoiler :

Australia:
-Manpower: 5
-Garrison:
-Stability: 10/Expansion into the Interior (40%)
Bahamas and Bermuda:
-Manpower: 2
-Garrison:
British West Indies:
-Manpower: 1
-Garrison:
-Stability: 8/Slavery (50%)
Falkland Islands
-Manpower: 0
-Garrison:
-Stability: 10/Sheep (10%)
Ghana
-Manpower: 0
-Garrison:
-Stability: 8/Slavery (30%)
British India
-Manpower: 122
-Garrison:
-Stability: 7/Consolidation of Rule (70%)
Jamaica:
-Manpower: 2
-Garrison:
-Stability: 8/Slavery (50%)
Malaysia:
-Manpower: 5
-Garrison:
-Stability: 9/Conversion of Natives (20%)
New Zealand:
-Garrison
-Stability: 10/Expansion onto Southern Island (20%)
Prince Edward Island:
-Garrison:
-Stability: 9/Religion in Government (20%)
Sierra Leone:
-Garrison:
South Africa:
-Manpower: 4
-Garrison
-Stability: 8/Northern Expansion (40%)

Our next guest is the stats for the United States of America:

United States of America: TheLizardKing
Republic:
Capital
Education: Localized Schooling
Religion: Secularism
Manpower: 750 (+Per turn)
Stability: 9
Issues of Concern:
-Westward Expansion (80%)
-States' Rights (55%)
-Slavery (40%)
Army Quality: 7
Army Organization Style: European Standard 1820
Navy Quality: 8

Top Bottom