The ONE thing I would change...

CaptainVW

Chieftain
I, for one, am really enjoying this game.

My only complaint is absolutely, completely invalid: the game shouldn't stop at independence. It ends just about 50-100 turns too soon.

I KNOW, I'm missing the point of the game, independence was the original's goal, and how else should a game about colonialism end, but with the colonies fighting for the creation of a new independent state?

It's just that that "new independent state" thing is REALLY compelling, to me, here... I mean, how many of your Expert Farmers died in the war of independence? Tobacco planters? Did any of your (god forbid) blacksmiths or statesmen die? How does New Free Holland get its post-war economy back on track?

And after the whole "economy back on track" thing, maybe the Dutch king rallies the REF for a second round, maybe in 1812, maybe not. Maybe all the remaining natives get guns and horses and hostility, and want some European-style territorial boundaries. Maybe you finally get to do away with your own king's monopoly on European trade, in favor of the other European powers' markets (and their own tarrifs). Maybe you are able to levy taxes on your own people, which may increase rebel sentiment in your own territories, leading some settlements to secede(!).

Maybe you play for 50-100 more turns after independence, and you have victory goals such as:

- The (Your Leadername Here) Doctrine: Eliminate all European influence (i.e. settlements) from the New World.

- Manifest Destiny: Control 1/2 of -unbroken- (i.e. no gaps) New World territory, with roads from the Atlantic to the Pacific. (Not sure how this would work on an islands map)

- European Equality: Outperform your mother country and become a European-scale world power in the New World - financially, culturally, and population-wise.

- Colonize the Moon: Build a pre-Verne Moon Vessel to harvest Lunar Cheese - requires 30 Master Blacksmiths, 30 Master Gunsmiths, 15 Ranchers, 12 Expert Silver Miners, 9000 lumber, 9000 tools, 9000 guns, and, here's the kicker - 50 petty criminals, 75 indentured servants, and 100 converted natives. Your Moon Vessel takes 5 turns after launch, during which Europe can launch an Ethereal Interceptor Balloon to take it out.

OK, OK, I'm just kidding about the last one. ANYWAY, when I win a game of Col2 right now, it's totally sweet and all, but my weary Expert Cotton Planters are left holding their blood-stained muskets of freedom, standing over the bodies of their former oppressors, hundreds of miles away from their homes. What happens to them next? Is this crazy new "democracy" sustainable? Competitive? WHAT HAPPENS NEXT? ...I mean, just for a little while, next...

It's probably WAY too early to start a Col3 wishlist thread, so maybe there's a smart modder or two that likes this idea... If not, well, it's fun to dream.

Thanks for reading, and I'll just get back to lurking now. Y'all are great, BTW. :)

I agree. The War of Independence is too nihilistic right now. It doesn't matter much who survives as long as you win. It would be nice to have a secondary goal to prove that you can rebuild your post-war economy and establish a viable new nation. It would probably be anticlimatic compared to the WoI, but it would also make the WoI less of a Pyrrhic victory.

I agree. The War of Independence is too nihilistic right now. It doesn't matter much who survives as long as you win. It would be nice to have a secondary goal to prove that you can rebuild your post-war economy and establish a viable new nation. It would probably be anticlimatic compared to the WoI, but it would also make the WoI less of a Pyrrhic victory.

Perhaps there could be an option to choose: "Also play for score 100 turns (100 turns, whatever) after victory". I think they should reintroduce the old scoring system (and score screen) from the original Colonization.

Or a secession trigger might be nice, with rebelling colonies declaring their own independance from you if not taken care of. Nice ideas you've got there. Would add some spice to the game. :)

You have hit the nail on the head. There are many other messed up things (trade, piracy, and smuggling to name just three) but the worst thing about this game is the completely messed up time scale.

Slow: Each turn is 1 month, it takes 12 turns to build a school house. Actual WoI lasted from 1775 to 1781, 6 years, 72 turns. Total game 1,800 turns.

Medium: Each turn is 3 months. It takes 4 turns to build a school house, and actual WoI lasted 24 turns. Total game, 600 turns.

Fast: Each turn is 6 months, school house takes 2 turns, WoI was 12 turns, total game is 300 turns.

I am in a hurry: Each turn is 1 year, school house takes 1 turn, WoI was 6 turns, total game 150 turns.

I think Medium would be the best. I wonder if we can get a mod-Genius to fix this?

Top Bottom