The Random Rangers Ride Again

Off we go again,

Set research to AH and then archery. Build to Shrine working hill.

T12 bump into second CS (Monaco) to the south east behind a ridge of mountains.

2016-02-12_00001.jpg

AH comes in and we have horsies on the grassland tile to our SE. I purchase this tile for 50g as would have been approx. another 13 turns to get it via culture growth.

2016-02-12_00002.jpg

T17 we meet 3rd CS to the east (HK) annoyingly has the same luxes as Samarkand. Find a barb camp in the south where the 2 rivers converge.

2016-02-12_00003.jpg

2016-02-12_00004.jpg

T19 4th CS met (Sofia) to the south,

T19 Monaco has a precariously positioned worker, which is duly enslaved.

2016-02-12_00005.jpg

2016-02-12_00006.jpg

I finish on turn 22, with monument finished and archery one turn away, we are also one turn from first SP choice.

Worker is back in or lands on the horse tile.

Our lands to the north

2016-02-12_00007.jpg

There is a spot on the east coast of the peninsula that would get 3 fish, wheat and number of truffles.

and lands to the SE

2016-02-12_00008.jpg

Which shows newly met CS's.

View attachment Ahmad al-Mansur_0022 BC-3120.Civ5Save

OK. We have a worker, several nearby CS, and no nearby neighbors.

Here's the line up:

Mighty Dwarf <= founded the kingdom
Wloff <= Up - Play 18 to get us to turn 40
Vadalaz <= On deck
Bugs

hey gang :)

I'll try and follow this game if that's ok with you. Advising and being a smart-ass is I'm assuming not advisable :D

As long as the smart ass comments have a heavy dose of good will and humor, then they will be welcome. Pure snark - not welcome.

Hey guys, looks like we have all been barred from civ related activities over the valentines weekend!!

Techs - Now we have a worker we need things for him to do, so would go Masonry, Trapping to get luxes online asap.

Build - To me it appears we are alone (not met anyone yet and we were first to meet all CS's so far) therefore do we need another scout? We could build another military unit to help cover barbs or Granary for extra food in capital or do we go Settler to get 2nd city up asap.

SP - I still think Tradition over Liberty, partly due to personal preference and partly as I cant see us having the available land to settle a larger number of sites. A couple of boat food routes to the capital will have it growing quickly. We could open Honor first to get barb bonus and look to milk any sent out from the camp we have found for culture and CS favour. This would also make us aware of new camp threats. We would then need less military ( I can hear the chokes on cups of tea as you are reading this) but if we are alone they would be little use where hammers and gold could be used elsewhere. We could then choose between Trad/Lib on second SP.

Here is a thought. If we are alone on our own piece of land, we may want to consider sailing very soon and get some boats out exploring.

I still think we need another scout, if only to cross some water once we get optics (another tech we may want to prioritize if we are alone.

Still thinking the immediate priority is getting needed worker techs, then is probably the question of gambling for HG or sailing-optics to look for nearby land.

Lurker's comment: Somehow this doesn't look like an island situation to me. Maybe the other civs explored elsewhere first.

The luxury situation seems fairly default. Meeting other civs so you can sell your truffles or trade for other luxes would be crucial for a successful expansion phase. Or some luck with CS quests, just your own luxes won't get you very far.
I can't look at saves, since all DLC was enabled when starting up the game. :sad:
A second scout certainly seems like a good idea. Where's wloff?

I personally never try for a wonder in the ancient or classical eras when playing at level 7 or 8. I'm open to being convinced otherwise, but the AI has such an advantage in the early game that I prefer to invest my hammers into something useful, rather than getting some money for them as a consolation prize.

I'm probably not as black and white on the subject but I agree that, with the land we have, maybe too risky. Better to put into other things like you said than HG.

Lurker's comment: Where's wloff?

Yes, where is wloff?

Let's swap things around and he/she can go third.

Vadalaz <= Up - Play 18 to get us to turn 40
Wloff <= On deck
Bugs

T22: Pledged to protect Malacca, Hong Kong and Sofia.

T23: Spearman keeps exploring. The scout will heal up and protect our worker from a potential barbarian for now.

We get our first policy. Since we haven't really agreed on anything, I'm going to trust my gut feeling and go Liberty, as we have quite a lot of land, a ton of truffles for lux trades, potential 14 happiness from mercantile CSs and a rather unimpressive capital.

We've just researched archery so I switch production to an archer. Set research to Masonry.

T24: An unknown civilization takes Goddess of Protection. Good for them.
T25: zzz
T26: We meet the Shoshone. We're the only ones they've met so far as well, we can see that on the tourism screen.
Spoiler :

Pocatello has 2 copies of Copper. Another 4 happiness for us eventually. :)

T27: Someone takes Oral Tradition.
T28-29: zzz
T30: The horses are improved. We get our next social policy, Republic. Pocatello is on negative gpt, so we can't sell the horses yet.

T31: Production: Archer finished -> Start another Archer. I send the first archer towards Monaco.

T32: We get two barb camp quests from Hong Kong and Sofia. Our second archer can clear the one for HK. Sofia's quest can wait, I'd like Malacca to target that southern camp as well.
Spoiler :

T33: Tech: Masonry finished -> Trapping. Worker starts improving the Marble.

T34: We find Grand Mesa. Our archer parks near Monaco. Pocatello expands south of Sofia. Perhaps we can grab a worker from him as well.
Spoiler :
T35: Production: Archer finished -> Start Worker. Barbarian archer appears on our northern border.

T36: We get Desert Folklore!
Spoiler :
And a free worker!
Spoiler :
T37: zzz
T38: Pocatello's capital stands in our scout's way. There's a settler in Moson Kahni; I don't think we can steal or block it but I park the scout here just in case. Malacca targets the southern camp as expected.
Spoiler :
T39: We connect our Marble. Could trade it away for Copper to secure it, but I don't think there's anyone else on this continent (surely they would've met Pocatello by now?) so there's no rush and we can trade Truffles for Copper later.

T40: We get our second worker from Monaco. Monaco has no units, our archer should survive. No need to make peace yet.
Spoiler :
Our worker is 3 turns from completion, but I don't think we need him yet, we just got one from Monaco and another one is on his way from the south. We can switch production to something else, e.g. a settler or a caravan or a third archer.

Attachments

• 2016-02-17_00004.jpg
    2016-02-17_00004.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 413
  • 2016-02-17_00003.jpg
    2016-02-17_00003.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 2016-02-17_00006.jpg
    2016-02-17_00006.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 413
  • 2016-02-17_00007.jpg
    2016-02-17_00007.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 412
  • 2016-02-17_00009.jpg
    2016-02-17_00009.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 403
  • 2016-02-17_00013.jpg
    2016-02-17_00013.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 394
  • 2016-02-17_00014.jpg
    2016-02-17_00014.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 432
  • 2016-02-17_00017.jpg
    2016-02-17_00017.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 458
  • 2016-02-17_00019.jpg
    2016-02-17_00019.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Ahmad al-Mansur_0040 BC-2400.Civ5Save
    759.5 KB · Views: 202
Lurker's comment: Yeah, I thought it looked more like a Liberty start than a Tradition start as well. Perhaps you can think of rushing Petra with your free Great Person (finishing Liberty)?
I would sign peace with Monaco now, you have enough workers now, and although they're Hostile, they're still cultural.

Plus we should get a few more workers from the barb camps.

Vadalaz
Wloff <= Up - Play 15 from now on
Bugs <= On deck

Wloff hasn't showed up here in a long time. I'll play tomorrow afternoon.

Pre-flight &#8211; Turn 40 &#8211; 2400 BC &#8211; We have one worker working. We&#8217;ve stolen two workers and we&#8217;ll have another in three turns. That will be good because our lands desperately need improvement. We&#8217;ll have a settler in six turns so we need to start thinking about where our cities will go. Here is a dot map to start the conversation:

Pink dot grabs all those truffles to the northeast. Red dot is probably a low priority on the coast with a lot of desert. I think green dot should probably be settled first. It can grab a truffles and a citrus. Yellow dot on the east coast will grab the marble.

Preflight (con&#8217;t) &#8211; We&#8217;ll need to get the capitol growing again. We won&#8217;t need any more workers for a while. Soon we&#8217;ll have five. Make peace with Monaco.

Turn 41 &#8211; 2360 BC &#8211; Consentient would hate this but I&#8217;m going to use one worker to farm a flood plain. The worker coming from Monaco will chop the truffles when he can get there.

IBT &#8211; Accept an embassy from Pocatello for 1 gpt.

Turn 42 &#8211; 2320 BC &#8211; Trapping completes. We have a couple of options. Sailing will open up another trade route and allow us to get a fishing boat off the coast. Calendar probably won&#8217;t be needed for a while. Writing of course allows us to get libraries up. BW will show us where the iron is. I&#8217;m leaning towards BW. I&#8217;ll pause here and gather some thoughts. Lurkers please chime in since it appears that we are a three person team.

Lurker's comment: This lurker agrees on the green dot, and moving the monaco worker over to prepare the truffles in advance and then head south for the citrus. I think the next settler should probably head for those furs, and then more settlers can backfill later depending on what happens with other civs.

Pocatello is probably ready to buy those horses now, and I think bronze working should come first so that the iron will be revealed. After that, calendar and writing. I think monuments should be first priority in that current expo too, since you have to expand far to get to the citrus and tradition is not opened. After that, granary and library (Should have writing by then).

I like this type of game of Civ, I only ever have time to play 20 turns at a time anyways. I'd love to get in on the next one if I can.

Top Bottom