The reformation belief converting barbarians is very strong actually

xxhe

Prince
As the title suggests. The reason is that it converts rebellion units as well. So keep you happiness under -10 or -20, and you will gain as many units as you want:crazyeye:

While, I admit that the unit combat strength will be lower due to low happiness, but it's an interesting choice for warmongers, isn't it?:king:

That sounds more like it's mitigating the bad effects of unhappiness than turning it into a positive, but I have no doubt people will now view it as some horrible exploit that must be fixed.

It sounds like a terrible strategy to me.

The OP is right. It's a really interesting belief and more versatile than it sounds.

I was playing a game as Morocco that was largely going the culture/religious route. Babylon, my neighbor got a religion and I didn't want to have to compete with him the whole game. I wanted to take him out, but I hadn't invested in an army. So I took the belief, sent a missionary into a vast expanse of unclaimed land near me and converted enough barbs to take down Babylon without having to divert any hammers from my culture game to an army.

Later on, after I went to war with France, he gave me half his cities, putting me into about 80 unhappiness. While I rebuilt my economy, I used missionaries to grab the riflemen that kept appearing before they could pillage everything.

Its not necessarily about mitigating bad effects. It's more about being able to play aggressively in both culture and combat.

how do the converting barbarian mechanic do?

i dont understand, does it make the barbarian camp exert some religious pressure?
or the barbarian become missionary?

The OP is right. It's a really interesting belief and more versatile than it sounds.

I was playing a game as Morocco that was largely going the culture/religious route. Babylon, my neighbor got a religion and I didn't want to have to compete with him the whole game. I wanted to take him out, but I hadn't invested in an army. So I took the belief, sent a missionary into a vast expanse of unclaimed land near me and converted enough barbs to take down Babylon without having to divert any hammers from my culture game to an army.

Later on, after I went to war with France, he gave me half his cities, putting me into about 80 unhappiness. While I rebuilt my economy, I used missionaries to grab the riflemen that kept appearing before they could pillage everything.

Its not necessarily about mitigating bad effects. It's more about being able to play aggressively in both culture and combat.

:eek: This becomes shockingly good!

Would someone explain how exactly it works?

Do you just place your missionary next to any barbarian to automatically convert it? Is there a conversation chance %?

Sounds interesting, I might be trying this out in my next religious game.

Maybe the Germans could learn something from these missionaries, help them increase their UA conversion chance!

I think the missionary strength should have reduced with each conversion, otherwise it is infinite army.

I've played with it, and even without rebels it's ridiculous - I got four riflemen converted (they were rebels in a neighbouring civ) in one turn, with one missionary ... in the barbarians' turn. As soon as they move into range, they convert.

Sooo... Why does Germany exist, then?
They added Germany to punish and make fun of all german peoples. In fact, the devs regularly travel to Germany to throw tomatoes on germans while screaming "No great people from Germany! EVER!". Its true. :mischief:
The first prototype UA for Germany was actually a negative one (All cities will explode once you research Dynamite), but that became too obvious. So instead they gave them a "Here, free barb. Enjoy"-UA.
In Civ 6 they have plans to not even have any German civ at all. They will just call all barbarians on the map "Germans".

They added Germany to punish and make fun of all german peoples. In fact, the devs regularly travel to Germany to throw tomatoes on germans while screaming "No great people from Germany! EVER!". Its true. :mischief:
The first prototype UA for Germany was actually a negative one (All cities will explode once you research Dynamite), but that became too obvious. So instead they gave them a "Here, free barb. Enjoy"-UA.
In Civ 6 they have plans to not even have any German civ at all. They will just call all barbarians on the map "Germans".

Sounds reasonable. :D

That'll make for an interesting blitzkrieg: a barbarian panzer rush from the one stretch of land not taken by the late game, fighting against everyone despite the fact that the barbarians don't have the leadership and numbers to defeat them all. As well, the barbarians lack of feul will come to haunt them once enemy armor comes to meet them on the field... Well at least civ 6 will be historically accurate :lol:! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom