The Star Trek Mod, v 0.9.0

I am having similar problems to Kaidonni. I can play as the Federation but no one else. The odd labels at startup is a problem as well. This mod has a lot of potential though, I really enjoyed playing 50 or so turns in (Got attacked by the Klingons :().

Also, the map is a little big, and the systems too far apart I think. Since the minimap can't show borders at sea, I am forced to rely on memory and the zoomed out view to get a sense of the extent of my empire. I totally forgot about a few colonies simply becuase I could not tell them apart from the other white dots on the minimap.

The "subspace corridor" terrain could use a little brightening as well, it is hard to tell it from the normal space tiles, so I had trouble remembering where I should be sending my ships.

The XL map is going to be extremely big, and I doubt many players will use it, but I like the fact that it will have a TON of star systems, so one could just explore it once. I am working on a medium sized map, with optional minor civs.

Yeah, subspace corridors are hard to see. But you know, I actually like it because it makes players be more careful about where their best ships are placed, and if misplaced, their loss can be attributed to a severe malfunction of antimatter containment systems...

... and if misplaced, their loss can be attributed to a severe malfunction of antimatter containment systems...

I'll have to recalibrate my flux inhibitors to compensate. :D

Also, a medium map is more my style, I was getting lost on the XL one. :crazyeye:

Okay, first of all its great to see work is finally progressing on this mod. It's also funny to see my name is still on the credits for the NX Class unit, and the unit is still in the mod. I'll admit, I was only 14-15 years old when I made it and it's probably the worst unit I ever made for any game! I'd be happy to take a stab at making a better one if you're up for putting it in the mod?

As for the labels.txt problems people are having I have found the problem and solution. The labels.txt file you were using was not the same one used by Conquests in v1.22 so I went through the text file and identified the missing lines. The updated and working labels.txt can be found attached to this post.

I would also like to see a medium sized map for this mod. I prefered the medium map from the last version, but it was still a bit small. Somewhere between that and this would be a good size. Also the Federation seems to start off with half the planets conquered. I prefered it when you only had one system and had to go out and conquer the galaxy! (I also usually make a seperate scenario and rename the Federation the Terran Empire... :cool: )

But this is excellent work and the sounds and music is a brilliant addition (well worth the hour I had to wait for the download)!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, put the labels.txt file in the Star Trek\Text folder in your Scenarios folder.

Example: C:\Program Files\Atari\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Scenarios\Star Trek

I've also had the same problem with not being able to play as any race other than the Federation. I've tried creating a new biq file, creating a new map, trying it without the sound folder...every time the same crash when it loads. Not really sure what is causing the problem or what to suggest...

Attachments

• labels.txt
    26.2 KB · Views: 276
I think what I did was create a new scenario and then import the rules and players from the original biq, rather than modifying the original and then "saving as". Maybe it was the other way around. I am about to go test your new labels.txt file, thanks for that!

EDIT: It appears to work very well, thanks Pleb!

Hiya Pleb!!! That'd be awesome if you could improve your NX class! I'll admit, I'd gotten so used to it, I forgot it was so odd-looking. XD

Ok, ok, I'll replace the labels.txt. Mind you the reason I changed it in the first place was to keep the screens where the lines of text appear because they had been created in the GFX and they kinda cut into each other. I guess if you guys don't mind the ugly effect it has on the screens...

I've been trying, without luck, to find out why the other civs crash for players other than myself. =P I'm hoping the next version will fix it, whatever it is.

Don't know why half the planets are controlled by the Fed... did I upload the wrong .biq?

Hiya Pleb!!! That'd be awesome if you could improve your NX class! I'll admit, I'd gotten so used to it, I forgot it was so odd-looking. XD

Ok, ok, I'll replace the labels.txt. Mind you the reason I changed it in the first place was to keep the screens where the lines of text appear because they had been created in the GFX and they kinda cut into each other. I guess if you guys don't mind the ugly effect it has on the screens...

I've been trying, without luck, to find out why the other civs crash for players other than myself. =P I'm hoping the next version will fix it, whatever it is.

Don't know why half the planets are controlled by the Fed... did I upload the wrong .biq?

I don't think he meant half literally, but they do control a hell of a lot of them to start, and there are almost no uninhabited ones to colonize. Starting with just your capital would probably be more fun.

I made it from images from a model for Star Trek Armada 2, lol! I have a more detailed model to work with this time, and a lot more experience making units for civ 3.

This can still be done, I noticed that one of the labels still overlaps the GUI. The YOUR RIVALS label just needs to be replaced with a ' and it'll look fine. I didn't notice this until you mentioned it otherwise I would have corrected this when I reuploaded the labels.txt file.

I've tried many different methods to get other civs to work, but with no such luck. Without being able to identify what is cauisng the problem it is hard to figure out why only the Federation civilization works. If it was an error in one of the txt files it usually says and gives a reference of where it has gone wrong. But this error is an application error...

Lol no I didn't mean literally. But yes, it would be more fun to go out and conquer the galaxy, rather than struggling to contain a massive empire from the beginning of the game with little resources.

Okay, I may be on to something here. I've done some more testing to try to get other civs other than the Federation to work. I went back and downloaded the last release of the Star Trek Mod v0.8.4 and tested it to make sure civs were working correctly there and they do.

I then noticed I had a couple of medium sized maps from the v0.8.3 release that were not included in the following release so I tested those. On those maps only the Federation civ worked. I tried importing the rules from the v0.8.4 large map into the v0.8.3 medium maps but this did not fix the problem.

When you created this release v0.9.0 did you use the previous release as a template? By the way, I also tested your Star Trek mod folder with the previous mod to try out some of the music and graphics. Loving the intense Klingon music! :D

Hi everyone!
I was just searching for mods, and other things for civ3, and I just downloaded this mod, just to try it. I had the same problem, itt crashed while loading. After I read the posts here, I tried again to see where does it crash, and then I found what is the problem.
Here is the solution: Open the map in the editor, open the panel in Scenario/Scenario Properties... go to Players tab, and then set the player 10,20,22,24 civilization from "any" to "random"
At least, after this it is working for me.

Actually downloading Civ III from GG. (my old copy is really overused ;) )

Think i'm gonna play it once more with a few mods and being a Klingon fan this one really got my attention.

Will we be seeing a patch/update in the near future?

so what's up with 'Q'? there's a 'Q' unit sitting outside one of my colonies(it looks like an old man in a wheelchair reading a book). it never moves and never attacks me, and i can't attack it with ground forces and my space forces can't bombard it. worse yet, it's taking up a space that could otherwise contribute to the growth of my colony.

so will he eventually do something? or just sit there for the whole game, as useful as a eunuch in a whorehouse?

EDIT: btw i admit i'm not a major Trekkie, most of the movies i've only ever watched once, and i've never seen all the shows, never read the comic books or paperback novels, so i don't know if this has any special significance or is an actual bug.

so, i ran into a problem advancing beyond the TOS age: when you enter the TNG age you get a CTD with an error that says something about "ConstitutionFLIP" or something like that, presumably caused by the Constitution class ship.

oh yeah, the Constitution MK2 ships are bugged and don't work, if you try to build one you crash.

so the way to fix this is to not have any Constitution class starships(the first one) in your fleet when you advance to the TNG era.

hope that helps anyone who it experiencing this error.

In one of the pictures Andros is next to bajor but im certain this is a mistake. i beilve andros is where the andorians come from but i could be wrong and theres another andoria planet near bajor. i do know that andoria is found near the star procyon in real life. plus the name of the federation should be just united federation or just federation for short. also i dont always go around saying im from the united states of america i usally say im from the united states. but to be technical i noticed some of the years where early in the pictures to be very technical the earthling civilization was not called the federation this far back in time it was known as star fleet. it was not until the andorians ,vulcans and earthlings signed a certain document in the 2160's that it became a federation of multiple star faring civilizations. let me know how this star trek mod goes im very interested. plus continue to upload pictures to i can see if theres any more mistakes

Hi Guys,

I Don't Know if this is still an active forum but i try my luck,

When i download the start trek mod, it advises to install in the Scenarios but there is no install file or any exe that i can find to put it there

Any advice? sorry for the n00b question :)

Cheers
Andy

get the file you downloaded to the Scenarios folder under Conquests folder by hand and use WinRar or Winzip utilities . It will form a folder with graphics and a .BIQ file you can then choose from the main game menu to start the game .

Sadly, the mod CTDs.

I've done some testing, and here are the results:
My Copy, with Full Sounds:
Playing as Fed= no crash
Playing as Romulans = no crash
Klingons = no crash
Cardassians = no crash
Borg = no crash
Sounds Removed:
Fed= no crash
Romulans = no crash
Klingons = no crash
Cardassians = no crash
Borg = no crash

Public Copy, with Full Sounds (tested just to check, both copies should be the same)
Fed = no crash
Romulans = no crash
Klingons = no crash
Cardassians = no crash
Borg = no crash
No Sounds:
Fed = no crash
Romulans = no crash
Klingons = no crash
Cardassians = no crash
Borg = no crash

I can't explain why some people are having issues. Anybody have an idea as to what I should try next?

What I noticed, is that the mod's install instructions are a bit weird. It says to Install in Conquests/Scenarios, the to load Conquests. But if you do that, the map won't show (as that's in Scenarios, not the main Conquests folder). If, however, you put it with the other Conquests mod in the main Conquests folder, the mod crashes after civ selection, while trying to load. I also tried leaving the mod in Scenarios, but copying the map to Conquests main folder. Then the mod crashes while attempting to load the mod, as it's missing files (which are in Scenarios, but not in Conquests main folder). I have no clue how to fix this.

Top Bottom