The Strength of Aztec Jaguars

Troll4Hire

Chieftain
To all the Jaguar-haters out here:

I've entered a short test-game to make a little presentation why is the aztec UU is so incredibly powerful and INDISPENSABLE unit for the Aztec Empire.

First of all, let's see what we've got here:
Warrior-replacement unit, 8 STR, 2 movement - same as the good ol' warrior. Nothing special, so far, eh? Wait until you see the promotions of what these guys carry.

Jaguars possess three unique promotions, which makes them far superior than any other early unit in the game.
They get:
- extra 33% combat bonus in Forests or Jungles;
- Double movement rate in Forests or Jungles;
- and they also HEAL after killing an enemy unit (for a decent amount, 25 HP).

Not to mention that mostly because of these extra promotions, Jaguars make excellent scouts. These guys can move on a very high speed in think jungle / forest earas, with a small luck, even follow and hunt down enemy scouts if needed. The only obstacles are the marsh or hill tiles, but if the hill has forest on it, it also counts as a forest tile, so they still get the movement bonus. And all these promotions are carried over when the Jaguars are getting upgraded into Swordsmen.

To sum up what we see here:
We have an ancient era unit which has extraordinary fighting skills in certain types of terrain - which or less comes of our start bias. We also run like lightning on these tiles, plus if we get to kill something the wounded horde is going to recieve some health instantly after a victorious battle. And here comes the fact, that our UA provides us valuable amount of :c5culture: Culture after every. single. kill. (We get :c5culture: culture for enemy players or CS units too). Combined with one single point on the Honor policy tree we can kick up this starting bonus from 8 :c5culture: to 16 :c5culture: with each barbarian brute killed.

If anybody thinks that "Yeah, yeah, this looks nice, but in the modern era 8 culture/kill is kinda rubbish, I have to mention that the reward for kills will increase as we progress, but the when and how is another topic, I'm kinda short on time again, so i'll look it up later if anyone's interested, but as for now, I'll stick to jaguars this time if you don't mind. :D
But I have to stress it out again - you can easily pile up a few tech FASTER than any other civ in the game. Not even Poland can beat the Aztecs in culture the early part of the game.
Even without using a single culture-based pantheon or picking up a single ruin, the Aztecs easily can achieve 3 policies (or with some luck even more) by turn 25-30 on Standard speed , not relying on anything else, just Jaguars with one point on the Honor tree and their base UA.

All you have to do is pop one or two Jaguar at the start. In groups of three (but even in pairs) they are highly effective early barb-hunters.
This is what I got in the test game by following "Jaguar-Granary-Library-..." a build order and a "unlocking Honor -> unlocking tradition -> Legalism" policy order.

As for upgrading them, Since we only can get 2 levels up on barbs, I prefer getting +15% on Rough terrain, and a Medic to decrease the number of turns i have to sit on my arse waiting for them to get healed up.

So Gentlemen, please stop this pointless Jaguar-hating - or be kind enough to show how me one more ancient era unit which can step into the shoes of this incredible unique unit. Because as far as I can tell, there is none. :)

So Gentlemen, please stop this pointless Jaguar-hating - or be kind enough to show how me one more ancient era unit which can step into the shoes of this incredible unique unit. Because as far as I can tell, there is none. :)

The dromon. Barb hunting, global style.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I've entered a short test-game to make a little presentation why is the aztec UU is so incredibly powerful and INDISPENSABLE unit for the Aztec Empire.
Well presented, of course some of us already know they are awesome, but you lose a lot of folks as soon as they see ancient/classical UU unfortunately.

My apologies.

Honestly, I thought discussing game mechanics and tactics are part of that thread :D We already posted a similar test-result when people were voting frequently for / against Spain, and nobody told us to stop. :) It won't happen again. :)

They are definitely awesome, but they're still only warrior so they die quickly, especially against cities. You better upgrade them asap because then they are really awesome^^
(so the iron revelation at bronze- instead of iron working also helped the aztecs :))

Honestly Jaguars are the best units in the game as far as I'm concerned. But I play on marathon so early units have a lot more value than most standard speed players think. Not to mention the UA of the Aztecs is hypothetically better than Polands since it gives you raw culture as opposed to free SP which helps you against Ideological pressure, and since Aztecs are generally going for a Domination Victory you aren't going to be focused on culture so that extra defense helps a lot.

The fact that those promos carry over into gunpowder units is nothing short of awesome, and a level 15 Jaguar/musketman = GG

You didn't mention that they don't obsolete with Iron working either. You can still jack them for a good while afterwards.

They are definitely awesome, but they're still only warrior so they die quickly, especially against cities. You better upgrade them asap because then they are really awesome^^
(so the iron revelation at bronze- instead of iron working also helped the aztecs :))

You don't have to take cities to wage war. You can pillage and harrass

You didn't mention that they don't obsolete with Iron working either. You can still jack them for a good while afterwards.

Yup you can hard build them all the way up until metal casting. I like to go for Ironworking fairly early, usually immediately after Philosophy, so I can get the Colossus(it's usually easy to get and so worth it) then I'll go back to the top of the tree to get education before going back to metal casting. Hard build jags and upgrade to swords. They can stand toe to toe with Pikes as long as they're in forests or jungles so they're like Legions and can be useful for a good portion of the medieval era. All their promos carryover so they're great the whole game.

Anyone who complains that they come too early simply has no idea what they're talking about.

Off topic but I think that's why impis become riflemen rather than musketmen. It's so you can take advantage of them and the Ikanda an extra era.

Anyone who complains that they come too early simply has no idea what they're talking about.

Motion seconded. People saying this have never actually played the Aztecs. Personally, I usually focus on enjoying my Floating Gardens while only having a few Jaguars (not many more than typical), and then not long before they obsolete I bang out a bunch of them in 1-2 turns each.

If you want a ridiculously strong front line for a long time, go Aztecs. Zulus can come close second, but they die off after Gunpowder and your super-Jaguars keep on' truckin.

Another thing to note is if you hit a unit upgrade from a ruins during early scouting it puts you on the Spearman upgrade path. Spearman>Pikeman>Lancer>Anti-Tank Gun>Helicopter Gunship.

I'm playing good old Monty next. Been trying to work a strategy with the Americans the past few games. Need to work with the Aztecs too. Unlike most I'm still a fan of the vanilla civs. Can hardly wait for Christmas so I can have the holidays to play more games.

You can get a really good start with the Aztecs you just have to think outside the box from the other civs. Get that jungle culture patheon, because of the jungle start bias I don't go tradition.

Have you ever played a game and gotten a few of your Jags up to Mechanized Infantry? Jesus Christ

I agree with OP that Jaguar is an awesome UU but I would like to add that their UA is completely lackluster compared to other culture uniques of other civs & the sole reason to play Aztecs is Jaguars & Floating Gardens.

I agree with OP that Jaguar is an awesome UU but I would like to add that their UA is completely lackluster compared to other culture uniques of other civs & the sole reason to play Aztecs is Jaguars & Floating Gardens.

If you think that then I don't think your doing it right. People always wonder why the AI Monty is usually such a jerk but, that's just how you have to play the Aztecs to get the most out of the UA. You pretty much want to be fighting all the time. Fighting Barbarians, Fighting City States and, Fighting other Civs. It is situational but, all but a few UAs are. If that doesn't fit your play style then I can see how you wouldn't like it that much. However I would urge you to give it a shot sometime it can be very addicting.

If you think that then I don't think your doing it right. People always wonder why the AI Monty is usually such a jerk but, that's just how you have to play the Aztecs to get the most out of the UA. You pretty much want to be fighting all the time. Fighting Barbarians, Fighting City States and, Fighting other Civs. It is situational but, all but a few UAs are. If that doesn't fit your play style then I can see how you wouldn't like it that much. However I would urge you to give it a shot sometime it can be very addicting.

i couldn't agree more. :cool:

Top Bottom