The Sword of Osman

Cam_H

Deity
The Sword of Osman​

“Be careful about the religious issues before all other duties. The religious precepts build a strong state. Do not give religious duties to careless, faithless and sinful men or to dissipated, indifferent or inexperienced people. And also do not leave the state administrations to such people. Because the one without fear of God the Creator, has no fear of the created.”​
Leader:

Mehmed II of The Ottoman Empire renamed "Osman":

Expansive: +2:health: per city, +100%:hammers: bonus on Granaries and Harbours.
Organised: -50% civic upkeep, +100%:hammers: bonus on Lighthouses, Factories, and Courthouses.
Janissaries: Musketman replacement with +25% versus Archers, Melee, and Horseback units.
Hammam: Aqueduct replacement with +2:)
The Wheel and Agriculture.

Victory:

All victory conditions are enabled.​

Variants:

Founding of Islam

Islam must be founded by The Ottomans on or before 625AD.

[Achieved]

Hagia Sophia

The Ottomans must build the World Wonder; The Hagia Sophia.

[Failed]

The Greek Empire

The Ottomans must either vassalise or decimate the Greek Empire on or before 1450AD if the Greeks are still an active empire at that stage.​

The Egyptian Empire

The Ottomans must either vassalise or decimate the Egyptian Empire on or before 1520AD if the Egyptians are still an active empire at that stage.​

Game Set-Up:

Monarch difficulty - low sea level Pangaea - random personalities - otherwise standard settings.​

Rivals:
  • Alexander of Greece
  • Cyrus of Persia
  • Kublai Kahn of Mongolia
  • Mansa Musa of Mali
  • Ramesses II of Egypt
  • Saladin of Arabia
n.b. Random Personalities​

Roster:

woopdeedoo <<< On Deck
Cam
FiveRings
ParadigmShifter <<< Up
<< Open >>
<< Open >>​

The first turnset of the game will be of 30 turns duration. The next turnset of the game of 20 turns. 15 turns per turnset after the opening two. Players are expected to complete their turnsets within three days of completion of the preceding player's. Swaps and skips are allowed. Players may be removed from the roster. Players may not 'play ahead' until the game is completed.​

Start:

Attachments

• Osman BC-4000.CivWarlordsSave
    38 KB · Views: 118
You have a gift for inventing interesting variants, Cam! Won't sign up though, so you can breathe a sigh of relief. :p Have enough on my plate as it is and wouldn't have an idea about the dual install that I guess is needed for Warlords. Anyway, subscribed now, so I'll lurk this one with interest.

Well, t.b.h. I have 'enough on my hands' too, but couldn't leave FiveRings dangling there with just Vanilla and Warlords and no SG to join.

I think this one will be dead easy. :shifty:

Apologies to the Arabs and the 'founding of Islam' thing b.t.w. :blush:

This one looks interesting. I used to play Warlords a lot. However, I'm a bit taxed with the SGOTM plus 3 SGs at the moment. Too bad this couldn't hold until after the Pirate Ladies. However, you keep coming up with good variants Cam, so I'm sure there will be more later.

I'm in the same boat as lymond and Nocho only more so I'll be only lurking this one.

Best of luck with it.

I would likewise love to sign up, but aware of the dangers of SG feasting, so I won't!

Good luck with it and shall eagerly lurk... great variant idea. :D

Thanks for your interest guys. I'm pretty optimistic on this one ... Elephants and all.

Shame we're not Philosophical, as I can see the value in bulbing a few :gp:s along the way.

First of all , a real BIG thank you, Cam_H! I'll definitely do my best!

There's a bit of a glitch right now, though. I won't have access to my computer till Saturday night. I am using a lousy hotel laptop right now, so sorry for the sloppy writing, but I won't be losing more time in corrections.
Anyway, if the roster fills up before that, and there is a big urge to sail forth, please, feel welcome to proceed with somebody else taking the lead. No, I am not chickening, just trying to be my nicest...
I'll be looking at the starting situ and will let you know what I think about it soon.
Thanks to anyone who would join in, and support the team!
I am pretty opinionated, but I am also a teamplayer, so, don't take it bad when I am questioning or just asking for some clarifications.

Very pleased to read that you're on-board! :)

I'd really like a couple more sign-ups before 'kicking off'.

Thoughts on strategic options in light of game variants?

I am pretty opinionated, but I am also a teamplayer, so, don't take it bad when I am questioning or just asking for some clarifications.

OK - I'll try to be strong.

OK,
My first 5 cents:
Long-term considerations:
need to balance between military and scientific: many to subjugate relatively early, plus KK and Cyrus on pangaea vs HS to build and found islam
Mid-term considerations: looks like we are close to the equator. S.o mentioned somewhere that the direction of resource arrows can help decide whether in the northern hemi - as this might be our case - or not, nut I kind of met with deviations, so this is not sure in any way. However, the placing of jungleskind of makes me feel going south might turn out the better decision if we are not too close to some shores.
With the phants I am tempted to go aggressive from the very beginning, ie after getting to construct of course, but this is to be postponed for later on till we know our neihbors.
Suggested tech tree: hunting as soon as worker techs are sufficient to get him enough work which will depend on farms vs cottages decision. With phants on grass and soon getting corn, cottages seem pretty good. I don't remember the starting techs of Mehmed so I'LL PRIORITIZE RIGHT NOW without taking that in considerations - the available can be skipped:
agri>wheel>pottery>hunting>AH>BW
Suggested prod tree: worker>warrior>warrior>warrior>setller/worker
Short-term considerations:
SIP seem good, I see 1S-SE as possible, so move the warrior 1se and decide upon that

Rgrds,
FR

I'd really like a couple more sign-ups before 'kicking off'.

Thoughts on strategic options in light of game variants?

Well, the random personalities will make the game very interesting. I think if we have copper, we should consider an early axe\spear rush (assuming Greece or Egypt is nearby) followed by a phant\cat rush once Construction is in on the remaining "civ-to-be-decimated"?

I hardly ever play for the Hagia Sophia (don't know why) so I'm not even sure what tech we need to grab it. So I have little imput there... Sorry...

Divine Right, I normally find, is usually not too hard to grab. Keeping in mind that I don't really play Monarch on my own!!! But still... you know :D

I'm tending to agree that settling in place looks a fair call. Move south and we lose the Corn. Move north, east, or west and it looks like we start losing riverside. SIP though looks a little bit :hammers: poor. Warrior could pop the hut as his first action, or as proposed go south east and uncover some fog.

Starting tech's : The Wheel and Agriculture.

Hagia Sophia : Available with Engineering.

I too like the idea of building War Elephants at some point, n.b. vulnerable to the Greek Phalanx but 'own' Egyptian War Chariots. Construction is a pre-requisite for Engineering as it happens.

We'll be looking at two fairly distinct tech' tree branches to get to Engineering on one hand, and Divine Right on the other. This could also delay any plans for Liberalism slingshot somewhat, and other exciting stuff like The Great Library.

Sorry woopdeedoo; are you a :king: or a :queen:? Just to avoid confucian later if you don't mind.

(I'll get that revised saved game up in the next couple of hours).

I was thinking about the tech paths for this game as it really intrigued me... do you mind a lurker thought, or would you rather I shut up? :)

:lol:

For the Islam bit, I reckon Oracle > Theology and then use a GP to (part?) bulb Divine Right is a good route.

Think you'd need to research Writing + Mono before the oracle finishes and then have both Meditation/Poly and also Monarchy (pre-req for DR) before the bulb.

Great Prophet bulb preferences:
Spoiler :

Meditation
Polytheism
Priesthood
Monotheism
Theology
Divine Right
Mysticism
Masonry (Warlords patch & BTS)
Code of Laws
Civil Service
Monarchy
Literature
Music
Writing
Philosophy
Printing Press
Drama
Aesthetics (BTS)
Alphabet
Paper
Education
Liberalism
Calendar
Masonry (Vanilla & unpatched Warlords)
Animal Husbandry
Construction
Future Tech

It's a slightly late oracle with an odd tech path, but it should be workable at monarch? Takes the sting out of the tech diversion.

Top Bottom