The terrain-unwise Romans

Aah, I see your point. Well, as soon as I get a musket or two to defend the slow attackers and cannons, I'll do that.
:blush: I assumed you already did. Remember to bring more than a few, each new city needs a defender in such a tumultuous world.

My core cities are on the job of producing Muskets or Cavs. It might take a while, though.

Wow, the AI does complicated and stupid diplomacy. I had to use innumerable screenshots on peace and alliance deals!

Anyway, WWI has now morphed into...

My side:
Rome
America
China
Egypt
Holland

My enemies:
Byzantines (Who are losing, as they are in Anarchy)
Babylon
Carthage

(Note: I am not at war with Babylon, and Holland is not at war with Carthage)

Neutral:
Maya

Basically, Egypt picked a side, Maya became neutral, and Babylon switched sides.

Anyway, Chapter 22 is done, and will be posted tomorrow (it is almost 10:00 here)

Guys, last time I checked, "more" doesn't mean none at all! Seriously, I want someone besides CivRulesAll to post a comment! I don't find it possible that he's the only person who can think of a comment!
maybe its because theyre reading pax romana from the first page. aND NEVER MIND ABOUT MY LAST POST

Last edited:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, now I have time. Just a warning, due to my stupidity innatentiveness, there may be some errors in the notes, although they probably don't matter much.

Chapter 21: The rapidly-morphing war

Egypt started going from neutral to the "allies" (I am calling my side the allies, and the other side the central powers) side in 1600, when they signed peace with the Dutch. They are now at war with only the Byzantines Carthage (oops, wrong civ).

Soon after, in 1605, Babylon started switching sides from the allies to the central powers when they allied with Carthage against America.

News of the war occured in 1610. Carthage had sent a single longbowmen unit to sicily. This was so pathetic that it was defeated by a cannon and some muskets. Back on the mainland, Roman troops attacked the musketmen garrison in Chalcedon, with support from cannons- with almost no success. To the west, the Americans did have success, as they captured Sardica.

Speaking of America, they signed an alliance with China against Babylon soon after the capture of Sardica.

This could be bad for Babylon, who is China's neighbor- and a lot weaker than them.

Pirates appeared to the east of Viroconium. In 1615, Caravels attacked them- without much sucess. The Caravels were sunk by the pirate ships.

Back in Chalcedon, the attack continued. Roman Cavalry lead the charge, but retreated. The next charge was wiped out. Grr. Luckily, the third charge won its battle, as did the subsequent charge by Medieval Infantry. One musketmen garrison still remains in the city.

I have to go for now, thanks to my brother.

Okay, I'm back.

Caeser noticed that China did not have Saltpeter, so he sold it to them:

Back to news of the war, Carthage recpatured Russadir and America recpatured Machu Picchu.

The Battle of Chalcedon resumed in 1620. Cavalry easily defeated the cannon-bombarded musketmen in the city, and Medieval Infantry defeated the new pikemen that had just been rushed to the defense of the city. Chalcedon had fallen.

LOL, I just noticed that I forgot to add a title. Now there is a title.

Then followed some close calls. Byzantine Knights defeated an almost dead Roman Cavalry unit in Chalcedon. Luckily, there were still troops there, and America took out the Byzantine Cavalry. Then followed a Byzantine Knight attack on Amorium, which almost suceeded. Luckily, victory went to the Roman Musketmen defending the city.
Soon after, Russadir was recaptured by Egypt, and Babylon signed peace with the Byzantines, thus continuing their transition towards a central power:

More war news returned in 1625. China captured Shurrupak, an isolated Babylonian city, and America captured Vitcos.

Speaking of America and Babylon, alliances followed. China and America allied vs. the Byzantines, and Babylon and the Byzantines allied vs. Holland.

Then came news from the Roman scientists. They had once again discovered a not-new discovery, the science of magnetism. (forgot to take screenie) To show it, they built a magnet and showed its attraction to another magnet, and its repulsion from a third magnet. They also learned that the Earth was just one giant magnet, and "compasses" could be made for direction, and thus better ships. But something else interested Caeser. The Roman Empire's buildings, fashions, cities, music, and even workers and settlers had changed style. This could mean one thing: a new age, the Industrial Age, which everyone else but the Maya had already reached. A few even had new medicine, but would not sell these secrets to Caeser.

The Byzantines requested Peace with the Romans in 1630. They even would have given compensation, but not enough for Caeser. He rejected their offer.

Soon after, the allies continued winning when the Dutch captured Anjar, an ex-Arabian Babylonian city in the northwest of the new world.

Then came two more alliances, China and Egypt vs. Byzantines and Babylon:

1635 came and Roman soldiers attacked Heraclea. Unfortunately, the Cavalry had little effect on the defending musketmen.

Then more diplomacy, again. The Maya left the war by signing peace with the Byzantines. Carthage and Holland also signed peace. Then China and America signed an alliance against Carthage.

WWI has changed its face once again. Hopefully, it won't change much more.

1640 came with wonders. The Maya built a cathedral to a musician named JS Bach in Chichen Itza (forgot to take screenie) and the Byzantines built a theater for a playwright named William Shakespeare in Constantinople.

Then came the war. China captured Basra, a north-central Ex-Arabian Babylonian city, and America captured Adrianople. They are one step from the Byzantine capital.

1645, still no sucess in Heraclea. The Cavalry were forced to retreat. And then came some worse news. The resistance in Chalcedon had succeeded and returned the city to the Byzantines' control.

Luckily, the Byzantines now lacked Iron so the resistance could only defend the city with spears, which fell easily to Roman Cavalry in 1650. As punishment for resisting, Chalcedon was burned to the ground.

No Iron, no Gunpowder, no Government. Things are looking very grim for the Byzantines right now.

Also, Leiden was built on the ruins of Merw by the Dutch.

Last edited:
Right now, everyone (including me) but the Maya are Industrial.

Oh, and here is the current world map:

Spoiler :

EDIT2: Oh, Imageshack's resizer. Well, the map is now split in half to be able to fit, which is why the middle of the map now looks odd.

EDIT3, Years Later: But it turns out imgur prefers it as a single image instead of two.

Last edited:
The world map is now fixed (see above post).

hmm. the Carthaginians and Byzantines both have islands. that could be a flaw to you. then again, it might be a flaw for them.

hmm. the Carthaginians and Byzantines both have islands. that could be a flaw to you. then again, it might be a flaw for them.
Conquering islands can be a pain, when you pin these civs down to one city, make peace and demand the islands.

Very interesting tale... Plenty of bloodshed to keep me happy. When's the next update?

@Oneperson: As soon as I eat breakfast (I slept in and have only gotten up about 20 minutes ago).

@All: I played to 1700 AD and, at that point, I made peace with the Byzantines and Carthage, because:

-Everyone else made peace with the Byzantines, and everyone but China and the Maya had made peace with Carthage, and neither have done anything at all against Carthage.

-I don't have enough troops right now.

-(very unsucessful) Cannons showed that Constantinople had at least 5 musketmen defending.

Anyway, I just can't really afford to fight these wars right now.

On the other hand, as soon as my RoP with America runs out... :mischief:
In the meantime, I will build up military as it is average or weak compared to the rest of the world.

"Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory."
-Sun Tzu

Next war, make sure you can win, without allies, without stopping until you capture everything you plan to. Espionage helps, but your nation is tiny, and I wouldn't suggest building the IA and spending money on spies.

Perhaps you have forgotten that I didn't start this war. Carthage attacked ME, then allied the Byzantines against ME.

Ack! I know I know! But couldn't you have settled for peace earlier?

I could have, but thanks to waiting, they both payed me. :D

I have about 23 screenies for the update, so I'm currently working on what I want to do. I can split it into two updates, or make a 2-post update.

Okay, I guess I'll just make a 2-post update.

EDIT: Which will come later. My brother is to blame. :mad:

Well, my brother is completele evil.

Update to come later, because of my brother.

Top Bottom