[TOT] The Test Of Time Patch Project

Thank you again for your helpful advice.

I have added c:/games/civ2.exe to the McAfee scanning exception list
(after mistakenly trying and failing to add the TOTP launcher file to it.)

Then I took the CD Rom out, and re-ran the launcher and it worked.

I put the CD back in, and can select music which runs for about a minute.

I note that the F1 to F10 keys default to windows functions, but that may
be a feature of Windows 11, or of the keypad itself, which I will try to research.

Off now as deity ZZ of the Mermans in a 181 by 181 warm wet bloodlust world.

Last edited:
Getting an issue with launching the TOTPP on Windows 11. Ran the 1.1 patch which shows up in green on the launcher but when attempting to apply TOTPP it pops on error saying it could not open Civ.exe. This happens with or without the CD.

UPDATE: Installing outside of program files seems to have fixed it.

Last edited:
A cursory search doesn't turn up a discussion so I don't know if this is common knowledge, but there's an exploit in the base game going back to the original Civ2, where nuclear weapons attacking an empty city don't check the player's diplomatic status, meaning you can nuke your own allies without declaring war. :crazyeye:

A cursory search doesn't turn up a discussion so I don't know if this is common knowledge, but there's an exploit in the base game going back to the original Civ2, where nuclear weapons attacking an empty city don't check the player's diplomatic status, meaning you can nuke your own allies without declaring war. :crazyeye:
indeed it is:crazyeye:
there is no check at all for the presence of any agreements for flying squads with the number of sorties greater than zero, it’s just that when a city without troops they have no one to attack, but nuclear weapons under the same conditions can crush even an empty city

Last edited:
I seem to recall Starlifters guide on Power Democracy talking about Deity++ games for higher trade values but I forget how to implement this and I don't recall if the same can be done for TOT.

Can anyone advise or instruct how to do this?

I used to be able (with an earlier version of the patch on windows 8) to send kraken up into the cloud cities via astral portals.

There is a similar issue with me now being unable to send dragons into underworld cities via astral portals.

Has that been deliberately stopped as an exploit ?

I am tempted to try editing rules.txt, but when might the edits take effect,
(a) upon creating a new game OR (ii) upon reloading from a save OR (iii) never with this patch.

It's patched, but toggleable via "Teleporter improvement map check" under Fixes (see also "Native transport"). MicroProse kinda goofed with their transporter logic: tile improvements use discretely-defined map links enabled per unit type, but the city teleporters don't, so without this patch, any unit can warp to any city. (The patch has also caused issues in the Extended Original mod.)

The map permission mask is read from Rules.txt, so any changes will take immediate effect on saved games; transporter permissions need hex-editing for saves/scenarios.

Saved, reloaded with the teleporter improvement map check unticked and soon had my porpoises and krakens swinnimg around the skies, and dragons flying through the underworld.

I can see the logic of that patch, but it when toggled on had messed up my long established strategy of deity winning by merman conquest on oversized 181 by 181 worlds.

Oh, further to an earlier point.

Pressing FN and ESC together toggles off the function keys for Windows 11 and they then become available within ToT.

Month long creeper here, just found out about ToTPP and already starting to dick around with things. So I have a few questions regarding the extra terrains and overlays and my numerous searches aren't resulting in the answers I am looking for or maybe they are and I am just missing it, that is a possibility.

I downloaded and am using ToTPP Zero Template Terrain1 and have added what terrain I wanted. I am also using Terrain2 from the download.

This is what they overlay looks like in rules.txt
@OVERLAYS
Drt, 3, 64, 133
Pln, 3, 64, 198
Grs, 3, 64, 263
For, 16, 64, 328
Hil, 16, 64, 458
Mou, 16, 64, 588
Tun, 3, 64, 718
Gla, 3, 64, 783
Swa, 3, 64, 848
Jun, 3, 64, 913
Oce, 3, 64, 978
Bbb, 16, 64, 1043
Ccc, 16, 64, 1108
Ddd, 16, 64, 1173
Eee, 16, 64, 1238
Fff, 16, 64, 1303

So one of my questions is looking at the terrain2 would I just change the last 5 rows to 10 rows and add 25 extra slots to those rows?

Also with the slots being set at 64 height if I changed some of the heights in overlay do I need to make the slot shorter to match the height i decide or will it still work with the current slot height.

With new slots/rows added and/or height changed then I assume the last line with the pixel to start on would need to be discovered and changed as well correct?

Sorry about the wall of text and I appreciate any feedback.

Bbb, 16, 64, 1043
There,
1, 3 or 16 is the number of tiles. One, three (on one row) or 16 (on two rows of 8 tiles)

32, 48 or 64 is the height of the tiles.
One do not need to define it shorter than 64 for smaller graphics. Just don't copy the upper border of 48 and 32 height tiles sets ;) .

1043 and others is the picture's top pixel's height (on first row). There can be gaps, with the exception of between last registered row and river tiles at the bottom of the file.

Ok another question. In the @Caravan section do the current items listed match up to a specific file or something specific or are the names arbitrary and can be changed to whatever?

These are in the rules, here's one form a scenario I'm working on:

;
; Trading Commodities
;
@Caravan
Lubricants,
Stronger Gears,
Inline Engines,
Radial Engines,
Rocket Engines,
Pulse-Jet Engines,
Jet Engines,
Swept Wings,
Radar Set,
ECM,
Rocket Fuels,
Jet Fuels,
Guided Missiles,
Decryptors,
Synthetic Fuels,
Prototypes,

Or do they match items listed in the @terrain section after the names of terrains?
These are in the rules, here's one form a scenario I'm working on:

;
; Trading Commodities
;
@Caravan
Lubricants,
Stronger Gears,
Inline Engines,
Radial Engines,
Rocket Engines,
Pulse-Jet Engines,
Jet Engines,
Swept Wings,
Radar Set,
ECM,
Rocket Fuels,
Jet Fuels,
Guided Missiles,
Decryptors,
Synthetic Fuels,
Prototypes,
Ah OK so the names of the items listed under @caravans does not have to match any specific resources listed under @terrain I presume then after seeing this

Ah OK so the names of the items listed under @caravans does not have to match any specific resources listed under @terrain I presume then after seeing this
Correct: caravan commodities can be named to anything you want. However, certain commodities yield larger returns from cities in demand, so you may want to name them thematically:
  • +50%: Cloth (4), Coal (6), Wine (9), Silver (11);
  • +100%: Silk (10), Spice (12), Gems (13), Gold (14);
  • +150% (Oil, 15) and +200% (Uranium, 16).
Oil and Uranium are hard-coded to appear only for civs that have Industrialization and Nuclear Fission, respectively.

Ok for the life of me I can not find the posts about how to debug fatal errors

Error *-5* in module "3" data: 0 0

Anyone able to translate this for me or happen to be able to post the links to the threads about errors please

Here is the error but I can't seem to find it in rules. I found the error debugger.

Attachments

• 20240402_132607.jpg
    20240402_132607.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 11
Top Bottom