The thread for space cadets!

Died by a "self inflicted wound" while in the process of testifying against Boeing in a whistleblower lawsuit? Sounds a little fishy to me.

Boeing whistleblower found dead in US

A former Boeing employee known for raising concerns about the firm's production standards has been found dead in the US.

In the days before his death, he had been giving evidence in a whistleblower lawsuit against the company.

It said the 62-year-old had died from a "self-inflicted" wound on 9 March and police were investigating.

The telemetry stopped at 8:04 with a flash as Starship blew part of itself up to abort.
The Flight Termination System (FTS)

Here is a telescope that saw the flash and zoomed in at 8:10 to see the following minute :D

Death spiral at 100 miles up.

If anyone watches the original full video, at 7:06 Starship turns from a large glowing dot into a bushy-tailed comet :eek:
The Liquid Oxygen Gauge (LOX) starts falling a lot faster than the Liquid Methane Guage (CH4) over the next 60 seconds.
Fuel leak?

After a minute of that I guess the computer calculated there was no way to achieve the mission.
CH4 needs the Liquid Oxygen to combust and burn in space.

So a bunch of months later, Starship Launch #3 was attempted today on March 14th, 2024.

It worked!
Mostly.
Didn't quite get the re-entry.

If they can get it to work, we can have crazy good satellite internet, moon missions, and Mars missions because not everything will have to be folded up like an accordion.
Starship is very roomy.

SpaceX effectively has demonstrated they now have an expendable rocket with more payload to orbit than a Saturn V. That is absolutely incredible! Hopefully they can figure out landing faster for this than for the Falcon 9.

NASA had to scrub the launch of the Boeing Starliner craft due to a buzzing valve on the associated Atlas V rocket. It would have been the first launch of Starliner with humans aboard. However, it appears the problem will likely be fixed within a week or two.

20240510_234500.jpg

Northern Lights over my house in Ireland tonight. Clearest I've ever seen it.
I woke my daughter up to see.

Top Bottom