The tuner

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
The tuner is an ingame editor Firaxis provides for Civ 5. It's easy to use:

1. Install the SDK.
    In steam, navigate to Library -> click "All Games" -> Tools -> Civilization V SDK.
  2. Set "EnableTuner = 1" in this file:
    \Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\config.ini
  3. Download Civup (here) and move the contents of Civup\TunerMods\DebugFolder to here:
    \Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Debug
  4. Start a game in Civ V.
  5. Open the tuner.
    An icon for the SDK appears on your desktop (or taskbar) once installed. Click the icon to launch the tuner.

For example, I sometimes use the tuner to reveal the map and all resources for debugging:

1. Open the tuner's "Active Player" tab.
  2. Click the button "Information Era Techs."

The mod adds some features to the tuner. Copy the files from this folder:

(mod)\Tuner\DebugFolder

to here:

\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v\Debug

Some of the terrain-editing tools require the mod active to function, but most of the tools work without the mod.

When I recently encountered the Ceremonial Rites bug, I tried loading up the tuner and was completely lost. Is there a guide on using the tuner somewhere? Or could you list some common uses (like adding buildings and such)? I ended up using the Ingame Editor which worked perfectly and intuitively, but it would be neat to get my head around the tuner and it's capabilities.

Add a building:

1. Select a city ingame.
  2. Open the tuner's Selected City tab.
  3. Click the building.
Add a unit:

1. Open the tuner's Map tab.
  2. Select a player and unit.
  3. Click the unit checkbox.
  4. Ingame, left-click to place units or right-click to delete them.
Reveal the map:

2. Click Reveal Terrain.
Change gold or culture:

1. Open the tuner's Active Player tab.
  2. Alter the gold/culture numbers.
Advance to an era:

1. Open the tuner's Active Player tab.
  2. Click the desired era.
See inside AI cities to check their thinking:
  1. Open the tuner's "Game" tab.
  2. Select the AI.
  3. Click "Autoplay 1".
Add a canal: (new in Civup v2.0.52)

2. Click Ocean in the plot list.
  3. Click the plot checkbox.
  4. Click tiles to turn them to ocean.
  5. Save and reload the game (refreshes graphics).

I mostly use those for testing. I'd also recommend clicking here to download enhancements I made to the tuner's Map and Selected Unit tabs, allowing easier modification of roads/railroads, features, unit experience, and unit promotions.

Extract the zip into this folder and overwrite the files when prompted:
C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Debug

Would the word "open" be more clear than "select"?
To add a building:
  1. Select a city ingame.
  2. Open the tuner's Selected City tab.
  3. Click the building.

I should add, though, that to add a building, you also have to open the City Screen. Othrwise the building choices in FT blink and do nothing.

That's what I mean by "select a city ingame." The city list is a little buggy. I think Firaxis added it to allow editing non-player cities, but they didn't code it quite right. I've been thinking about fixing that... I could also add some yield information to let us debug the AI problem more easily.

guys i did change value from 0 to 1 in config.ini, and ofc downloaded SDK, but, after i start firetuner there r only *lua console* and *new panel*. Cant get it connected to the game. What im doing wrong?

Oh! Start a game in Civ V. The tuner edits games, so it needs a game to edit. I've now added a note about that in the OP. :)
Well, I did start a game and even made some turns, build monument, researches etc., still it wont connect to the game. And btw sometimes value changes from 1 to 0 again by itself.
**maybe this matters- my civ is on disc D, not C. And im ru, so i got rus windows and the path to config.ini file contains russian documents folder. I remember earlier we, here in russia, had some problems with loading saves cos path to the save folder had rus names.

That is very strange! On my computer, the tuner automatically connects as soon as I start a game. I do not know what the problem might be. I recommend:
One of those three places should find you an answer. I wish I could help more.

I have started using the tuner along with your Debug files and I get this error box when I start the Tuner.

Code:
Faith: runtime error: [string "return function () ..."]:2: attempt to call method 'GetFaithPerTurn' (a nil value) stack

Unfortunately the whole message appears in a RED fixed width box, so the end of the line after 'stack' disappears into the end of the box.

I only have your mods and sometimes InfoAddict loaded.

?

It appears I forgot to update that recently. Try the version I attached below. :)

Each yield type uses different non-standardized functions to retrieve their values, so mistakes like that are common when using code from the base game.

Attachments

• TunerMods_v4.zip
    10.6 KB · Views: 224
Thal, your tuner files located in the Communitas seems to generate errors when switching to the map panels. However, since I am mostly just using the autoplay functions, I don't know if it actually has an effect on the tuner functions.

Eight or so of these error windows popup:
Code:
Failed to populate list:
Syntax Error: return function()
...(more code)

And have you been able to get the autoplay feature working past the World Congress founded popup window? I haven't been able to autoplay past turn 150~ because of it.

I have not tried that far, no. The WC might not be coded to handle an all-AI game, which would be unfortunate, but not surprising.

It's odd you get error messages. I need more information to figure out what might be going on.

Edit: working with ExpiredReign we tried something. Copy the files attached below into your debug folder, clear the game cache, then start the game. That seemed to fix the problem for him. I might have a bug in the files, or maybe it was a cache issue, I don't know.

Attachments

• TunerMods v4.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 242
Top Bottom