The United Divided 2

Couple of quick pitches! I'll add more as I can (apologies, I'm on vacation).

1) Effective Anarchists
Summary: A splinter-group from the Effective Altruists, the Effective Anarchists were founded in San Francisco in the mid-2030s to determine the maximally just, maximally efficient political system. They rejected bureaucratic garbage. They rejected the rule of the few, but also 'rank democracy'. They decided to use technology to enable an entire society's participation in decision-making; every citizen would have a neural implant, which could be used to communicate instantaneously with every other. All political decision would be made by the consensus intelligence, a machine-learning algorithm trained on their collective mental corpus and with which every citizen can interact. For every major political decision, consensus solicits feedback from all citizens and makes the optimal decision for all. Any consenting adult may join, though they must be invited to join consensus by the existing membership. While the Effective Anarchists started their experimental political community in San Francisco, it has rapidly expanded throughout the American West. It maintains deep ties to the Chinese government that were essentially acquired when the EA absorbed Silicon Valley.

Focus: 1 Military, 4 Econ, 1 Political

Factions:
The Citizens - everyone who is part of consensus.
The Contractors - everyone who isn't in consensus, but lives in EA-controlled territory and works for their companies; individuals may or may not wish to join consensus.

Claims: Bay Area, Nevada, maybe some surrounding areas, I'm flexible

2) Republic of the Rockies
Summary: Basically, billionaires and ranchers controlling mountainous estates and high plains. The billionaires poached a lot of top geneticists, who toil in their mountain laboratories making ever more impressive chimeras. These chimeras roam the plains, forests, and mountains in great "scientific preserves;" some of the more successful varieties are raised as livestock. The Republic was formed as the US government collapsed, as the wealthy and powerful retreated to the mountains and quickly decided that it was best they govern themselves. The central government is small, and is more or less a cabal of the major landowners. They maintain cordial relationships with both China and Europe. Though the Republic has a very small population, they aggressively ward off other governments with advanced weaponry (e.g. commandeered US missiles) and armed men riding vicious chimeras.

Focus: 2 Military, 2 Econ, 2 Political

Factions:
The Estates - billionaires who run the government and control many secretive mountain bases.
The Ranchers - though respected by the Estates for their rugged knowledge of the land, and entrusted with managing the raising of chimeras, the ranchers have little political power and are somewhat uncomfortable with every Tyrannosaurus-with-wings being created in those secret labs.
The Scientists - excited to have their research funded and to have excellent job security, but are unhappy that they have to make 'military chimeras' rather than more beautiful, gentle creatures.

Claims: Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, maybe some other stuff around there.

The West Coast seems interesting...

Hello, for the first round of picks I have three:

J.K. Stockholme's People's Cartel is a breakaway state along the former U.S.-Mexico Border, constructing a new national identity in El Norte. It's an open secret that the civilian government is just a front for the ruthless drug cartel El Santos, whose ties with the former CIA and populist patronage has enabled them to carve out political power in the vacuum.

NinjaCow's United States of America is a remnant of the former federal government that once dominated the continent. The once great democracy has descended into a military dictatorship, still controlling the old capital in Washington, but the conservative establishment may be the only thing holding the bloodthirsty liberals back from their irredentist designs.

Finally, Belgarion's Effective Anarchists are working to create something completely new out of their Pacific stronghold. Their revolutionary demarchist ideas inspire millions across the continent, however at home their utopian vision is threatened by Chinese influence and the Tech Barons of Silicon Valley.

I'd like the three of them to start fleshing out the full summary if they haven't done so. Exact borders may depend on other submissions (f.e., the United States may stretch into New England or South depending on where we need to fill space) but I'd like the first round to start pinning down some setting details that others can play off of.

I'll provide feedback on other submissions tomorrow and a deadline for the next round. If you weren't picked in the first round, it may be because I'm holding you in my back pocket for the moment so I can place you where I need geographically. I especially would like to give the Caribbean or Midwest some love if you're looking for a new pitch right now.

Country Name: The Syndicate of Cincinnati (SC)
a.k.a. the Cincinnati Power & Holding Corporation (CPHC)

Summary: The Syndicate of Cincinnati (SC) is a powerful, technocratic oligarchy that emerged after the fall of the United States. It was formed from the merger of General Electric (GE), Procter & Gamble (P&G), and Duke Energy (DUK) in 2052 and later incorporated the remnants of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and the Air Force Research Laboratory. The SC has established itself as a regional power, expanding its dominion across the Midwest in a Rome-like fashion, creating a vast territory rivaling the size of California. The Syndicate maintains transactional relationships with China and Europe, leveraging its technological prowess for favorable deals and protection.

The SC is governed by a council of technocrats, composed of former executives from GE, P&G, DUK, and military leaders. The council oversees the syndicate's military, economic, and political affairs. The lower classes have little to no say in governance, and dissent is swiftly quashed.

The SC has heavily invested in advanced technology to mitigate the effects of climate change. Innovative solutions, such as advanced weather prediction systems, efficient water management, and renewable energy infrastructure, have made the region a beacon of stability amid the chaos. The SC also maintains efficient supply chains, leveraging its technological advantage to ensure order in the region.

Stats:
Military: 3
Economic: 2
Political: 1

Proficiencies:
Technology
Engineering
Strategic

Factions:

Controlling Faction: The Syndicate Directorate
Traits: Nationalist, Aristocratic
Description: The Syndicate Directorate is composed of the remnants of the industrial and political elite who managed to consolidate power in the post-disaster world. They are staunch nationalists, aiming to rebuild their nation and restore its former glory. The Directorate is also aristocratic, focused on preserving their wealth and influence while navigating the challenges of a climate-altered world.

Faction 2: Engineers' Union
Traits: Liberal, Regional
Description: The Engineers' Union is a group of highly skilled professionals, many of whom were employed by GE, P&G, or the military in the past. They advocate for innovative solutions to tackle climate change and strive to adapt the infrastructure of the nation to the new world. As a regional faction, they are keen to address the needs and concerns of local communities, ensuring that their expertise is used to improve the lives of those most affected by the post-industrial era.

Faction 3: Stormbreakers
Traits: Militarist, Traditionalist
Description: The Stormbreakers are a militaristic faction, primarily composed of former armed forces personnel who survived the collapse of the United States. They remain loyal to traditional values and seek to establish order amidst the chaos of the broken continent. They view the military as an essential tool for maintaining stability and are committed to securing the Syndicate's territory against external threats and internal dissent.

Faction 4: The Uplift Initiative
Traits: Populist, Expatriate
Description: The Uplift Initiative is a grassroots movement dedicated to addressing the growing inequality and disaffection in the post-collapse society. Drawing support from the masses, they advocate for wealth redistribution and social welfare programs to uplift the disadvantaged. The Initiative also has strong ties to European and Chinese expatriates, who bring new ideas and resources to aid in the recovery and revitalization of the Syndicate's domain.

Claims: The Syndicate of Cincinnati controls a vast territory encompassing Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, and parts of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Missouri. Its influence extends beyond its borders, with numerous smaller settlements and communities pledging allegiance to the syndicate for protection and resources.

Archetype: Breakaway
The Syndicate of Cincinnati represents a significant regional group that has formally broken with the 20th-century political order. The SC has a strong sense of local identity and maintains relatively better relations with its neighbors than other factions in the region.

Politics & Government
The Syndicate of Cincinnati's internal administration is centered around a unified corporatist concept, with all major decisions and operations managed from the heart of the city. Cincinnati serves as the nucleus of the Syndicate, akin to Rome in the Roman Empire, where all the major political, economic, and military affairs are overseen by the ruling council of technocrats.

The Syndicate has organized its vast territory into administrative divisions, each headed by a regional governor appointed by the central council. These governors are responsible for implementing the policies and directives issued by the council, ensuring smooth and efficient administration throughout the dominion. The regional governors work in close collaboration with local business leaders, leveraging their expertise and resources to meet the goals set by the central authority.

To facilitate the flow of information, resources, and personnel across the region, the Syndicate has heavily invested in developing and maintaining a robust and efficient transportation network. A system of advanced highways, high-speed rail lines, and cargo hubs connects the administrative divisions to Cincinnati, ensuring all roads lead to the heart of the Syndicate.

In essence, the Syndicate of Cincinnati is a well-oiled machine, where the central authority in Cincinnati sets the strategic direction, while regional governors and business leaders work together to achieve the desired outcomes. This unified corporatist approach has enabled the Syndicate to effectively manage its vast territory, marshal its resources, and address the challenges of a post-industrial world.

And now, from the brilliant minds at the Cincinnati Marketing Corporation:
[Opening scene: A crowded factory floor with workers operating advanced machinery. The camera then zooms in on a charismatic narrator wearing a lab coat and a fedora hat, standing in front of a holographic screen displaying the Syndicate's emblem.]

Narrator: "Greetings, industrious citizens and esteemed investors of the Syndicate of Cincinnati! Our world may be on the brink of collapse, but fear not, for we've built a society that thrives in the face of adversity. Today, we'll be taking a grand tour of our remarkable Syndicate initiatives that keep our gears turning and profits soaring!"

[The holographic screen transitions to display a futuristic cityscape, teeming with surveillance drones and towering skyscrapers.]

Narrator: "First up, let's pay a visit to the Rumpke Ultra-High-Temperature Trash Incinerator, operated by our very own Syndicate Ecological Preservation Corps. They've developed a method of trash incineration that somehow produces net zero carbon emissions! Talk about turning lemons into lemonade and dividends into dollars!"

[The screen shows a massive incinerator, surrounded by scientists monitoring gauges and dials as trash is transformed into harmless vapor.]

Narrator: "Next, allow me to introduce the Syndicate's Health and Efficiency Initiative. Our researchers are hard at work developing cutting-edge pharmaceuticals and rigorous exercise regimens to ensure our citizen-employees maintain peak productivity, 24/7! Increased efficiency means increased profits!"

[The screen displays scenes of researchers working in labs, citizens gulping down pills, and people exercising in unison at a state-of-the-art fitness facility.]

Narrator: "And now, a true marvel of modern technology: the Syndicate's Automated Surveillance and Security Division. We've deployed an army of drones and cameras to keep a watchful eye on our loyal subjects. Remember, Big Brother is your friend, and he's always watching – to ensure your investments are secure!"

[The screen shows images of citizens toiling away, with countless surveillance drones and cameras monitoring their every move.]

Narrator: "But the pinnacle of the Syndicate's defense capabilities lies within the Strategic Defense Corporation. This initiative maintains our missile silos and nuclear armaments, ensuring that the Syndicate remains a formidable force to be reckoned with! Security means stability, and stability is good for business!"

[The screen transitions to images of massive underground missile silos, scientists working on nuclear warheads, and military personnel saluting the Syndicate's emblem.]

Narrator: "For those with an artistic flair, we present the Ministry of Cultural Harmony. This initiative carefully curates and crafts all forms of art, music, and entertainment to reflect the Syndicate's glorious vision. Creativity has never been so... marketable!"

[The screen showcases scenes of artists painting Syndicate-approved murals, musicians playing in unison, and filmmakers producing propaganda films.]

Narrator: "Last but not least, our Education and Indoctrination Initiative ensures the next generation of Syndicate citizens grows up to be loyal, hardworking, and, above all, obedient. Our youth are the future, and the future is Syndicate – and a thriving market!"

[The screen displays images of children in uniform, reciting Syndicate slogans and participating in team-building exercises.]

Narrator: "So, dear citizens and investors, let's band together as one Syndicate and embrace the challenges of our dystopian future! After all, if we don't work ourselves to the bone, who will?"

[Closing scene: The camera pans out, revealing a sprawling cityscape shrouded in smog, with the narrator grinning maniacally and giving a double thumbs-up.]

Narrator: "This message was brought to you by the Syndicate of Cincinnati – where strength, unity, and profits go hand in hand!"

[The screen transitions to a montage of Syndicate initiatives in action: factories churning out products, drones patrolling the skies, and scientists making new discoveries.]

Narrator: "From the Rumpke Ultra-High-Temperature Trash Incinerator to the Strategic Defense Corporation, the Syndicate of Cincinnati exemplifies the finest in Syndicalist Technocracy - our proprietary system for good government. United by our skilled workforce, revolutionary technology, and the relentless pursuit of perfection, we stand together to overcome any obstacle and maintain our position as the shining beacon of post-industrial society!"

[The camera zooms in on the narrator's face, his smile unwavering as he delivers the closing lines.]

Narrator: "So, remember, citizen-employees and investors, in the Syndicate of Cincinnati, you're not just a cog in the machine – you're a vital part of our glorious collective! Invest in the Syndicate, and together, we will forge a future of prosperity and power!"

[The screen fades to black, leaving the Syndicate's emblem glowing in the darkness before the commercial comes to an end.]

Last edited:
As you can tell I'm going to keep harassing you about your pitches like a thesis advisor without any undergrad classes until they're just right.

@Immaculate -Quebec remains incredibly solid, my question here is how does it go about protecting its unique linguistic identity? If there's general collapse across the rest of the continent how does it handle refugees?

For Aztlan, I'd like to see more about the inflection point where it transitions from a kleptocracy to a corporate state. It may be worth hammering out a unified corporatist concept with Crezth. Especially in terms of international recognition, does it claim to be a successor to Mexico or a new identity? How does it feel about breakaways?

@J.A.M. There's a lot I like here but a few things hidden by the in-universe style. Are you a legitimate successor to the old US? How do you/did you deal with non-believers within the nation? Especially in the West there's going to be a huge agricultural collapse without major mitigation efforts, how are you handling that?

@Crezth - If there's a flaw to Reva Aztara it's that it lacks focus. Right now there's environmentalist/indigenous leftists, black supremacists, etc worked in alongside what is a dominant feminist strain. Can you clean up the high concept for it? How did they appeal to enough people with guns that they could topple the previous government?

Syndicate of Cincinnati is much more straightforward and the kind of government needed to make the Midwest a big power (i.e. stopping environmental collapse). How does it handle internal administration? Is it concentrated around Cincinnati i.e. all roads lead to Rome? It may be worth hammering out a unified corporatist concept with Immaculate.

Both of these are great but there's just one missing piece that would really sink them into the setting that I'm not able to work out.

@Kyzarc Fotjage - I'm interested in seeing the political arrangement that your militia states put together, now that they have a few things to rail against.

I'll do another round of picks Friday, April 28th.

Last edited:
@Boundman - One way I can absolutely think of to focus Reva Aztara would be to actually make them a Chinese client state in that sense. This would provide the political justification and more importantly wherewithal for the communists to continue to rule. It would also allow them to handle the needs of the Black nationalists, the indigenous independentists, and the super-feminists through political capture. Now, since the rest of the West coast is actually revolutionary in the demarchist sense, this would allow Reva Aztara to be a regional competitor which also represents Chinese interests. I could throw Vancouver in the mix for the memes and Reva Aztara would take on a new character as a Chinese colony in North America that pays lip service to all of the important attributes of social justice. Could be cool!

For the Syndicate of Cincinnati, yeah I'll think about it. I admit I was thinking about this exact problem and working on fleshing out the political vision a little more. I reckon I'll chat with Immac about it.

Full Submission for the People’s Cartel

Country Name:
  • El Norte
  • Republica del Norte
  • Republic of the North
Summary:

2036 to 2041: Formation of the Continuity network and Los Santos
Federal authority began its terminal collapse after the contested elections of 2036, when Americans were forced to choose sides: Which President was the real President? Were you with your country, or your state? The US intelligence community had no question about who they would side with: Themselves. America’s security apparatus first hoped to stabilize the situation, but Julian Cole's seizure of power guaranteed the CIA and the NSA and all their friends would be purged in a Great Draining, so they fled and sought an independent power base of their own. Internally justifying their defection as an interpretation of federal Continuity of Operations policy, these groups became informally known as the Continuity network – casting themselves as America’s true heir and the last line of defense against the People’s Republic of China in-particular and leftism in-general. The Continuity network’s salvation would be found, of all places, in Mexico. In 2038, Continuity operatives fostered a split in the Gulf Cartel by furnishing disaffected members with weapons, training, and intelligence, on condition of subservience to their handlers. The splitters formed the Cártel de Los Santos (Cartel of the Saints), which transformed into Mexico’s most powerful paramilitary force and criminal organization, seizing turf across Mexico’s north throughout the 2030s and 2040s and providing a safe haven for the Continuity network.

2042 to 2047 (and beyond): Texanization of the Southwest, Rise of Norteño Nationalism
The political order of Mexico and the former southwest United States stabilized by 2041. Texas, California, and several states in-between had successfully seceded from the United States in 2037, becoming the Southwest Union: An administratively ineffectual and economically unequal republic dominated by tech and energy oligarchs. Meanwhile, by 2041 the Mexican drug war stabilized along a line of control dividing Mexico between Los Santos in the north and an alliance of cartels in the south. Though politically stable, the mid-century was a period of unyielding disruption and transformation. Climate change wrecked havoc across Latin America, spurring a continuous and massive migration of peoples northward, many of whom ended their journey in the southwest of the former United States or in northern Mexico. These processes became known as Texanization, a mega-trend characterized by four simultaneous changes: (1) a demographic shift from a white majority populace to one with a majority Latino, Hispanic, and Latin American ancestry, (2) the extension of the Cártel de Los Santos and its concomitant effects on the local political system (e.g. corruption, state infiltration), (3) a steady shift from Catholicism to evangelical Christianity, and (4) the rise of a trans-border Norteño national identity, including Spanish dialect with significant English loanword incorporation, a shared trauma of displacement and climate disaster, and a pan-Latino pan-Hispanic cultural melting pot identity. Texanization first took place in Texas, but over the course of decades, gradually remade Arizona, New Mexico, and most of northern Mexico into a culturally and politically unified landscape. The political boundary between the Southwest Union and Los Santos-controlled northern Mexico would remain porous throughout the 2040s, and Norteño nationalists, from intellectuals to movement activists, popularized the concept of a nation straddling the border (la frontera) – giving it various names, from Mexamerica, to Amejico, to (most ambitiously) Norteamérica, but landing popularly on El Norte.

2048 to 2058: The Frontera War, The Norteño Revolution, Founding of the Republica del Norte
The political peace ended in Mexico first by a coup in the south. An alliance of cartels seized the Mexican government and renamed themselves Aztlan in 2048. That same year in the Southwest Union, a trillionaire demagogue promised to put a final stop to climate-induced migrant flows across the border and to crush Mexico’s drug cartels - and won their presidency. Taking a page from the former United States, the Southwest Union invaded Mexico in what became known as the Frontera War, alongside a disastrous policy of cracking down on anyone perceived to support the Cártel, meaning in practice, a policy of capricious race-based oppression that put Latinos, Hispanics, and Mexicans, and Latin Americans all in one camp - Norteños. The Frontera War would last for seven bloody years in which the Cártel de Los Santos and the Continuity network successfully extended their influence across most of the Southwest Union through irregular warfare, sabotage, terror activity, political and media infiltration, and popular resistance from a surge of Norteño patriotism that both the Cártel and the Continuity network promoted and exploited to win the war. Many of the Southwest's oligarchs lost faith in their own government's ability to win the war and became Effective Anarchists or promoted their cause, culminating in April of 2057 with the Twelve Minute Revolution that saw the instantaneous secession of California from the Southwest Union. Other elites fled or made terms with the Cártel or turned out to be Continuity infiltrators and so followed a rapid elite revolt and the complete collapse of the remainder of the Southwest Union to the Cártel and its allies over the summer of 2058, becoming known as the Norteño Revolution. This revolutionary military victory was guided and managed by Los Santos and the Continuity network to their own ends, who, from a virally videoed declaration from Albuquerque, New Mexico, declared the creation of El Norte, a nation that would combine what was left of the Southwest Union with the northern parts of the now defunct nation of Mexico. El Norte would be a presidential republic puppeteered through rigged electoral politics to be a safe haven for the Continuity network and a legitimized instrument of taxation and sanctioned violence for Los Santos.

2059 to 2099: Era of the People’s Cartel, Rise of the Sociedad de Civismo
The last thirty years of the century were another period of political stability characterized increasingly by competition between independent El Norte’s ruling factions, and the creation of several new vehicles of genuine opposition. Having achieved political supremacy, Los Santos began to finally experience fracture in the 2060s, with competition among the revolutionaries who won the Frontera War turning violent. This descent into possibly another civil war was stopped in the Noche de los Muertos of 2066, when the drug capo Fortunato Salamanca, in collaboration with Continuity operatives and other allies across the Cártel, arrested and purged a majority of the old revolutionaries.

Salamanca assumed dictatorial leadership of the Cártel, a break from its directorial and council-based traditions, and modernized the Saints into a political machine fit for a republic and a new nation and a business empire that could compete internationally. Salamanca was a natural statesman - charismatic on video and in-person, invested in public policy, but ruthless in quelling dissent. Salamanca used the public treasury to build schools and universities, establish a welfare state, create a modern military, invest in infrastructure, and spent lavishly from his own coffers (which of course means the Cártel's coffers) on his home town of El Paso, setting a precedent for other high-ranking members of the Cártel to follow. In his greatest act of monument building, in 2071 Salamanca ordered the construction of a massive luxury compound in El Paso that straddled the entire Rio Grande in an ostentatious architectural feat. The Cártel's lesser capos were thereafter expected to live seasonally at this drug palace of Versailles. Salamanca's business achievements were also of considerable importance. Under his tenure, the Cártel invested in biotech and artificial intelligence, synthesizing novel drugs that even found legal recognition abroad, from productivity enhancers to mood stabilizers. Through the country’s performative presidency and legislature, Salamanca legalized all of the Cártel's hitherto illicit activities, making El Norte a libertarian paradise on drug policy, where commercial sale of even the most addictive and deadly drugs is legal (though completely controlled by the Saints). The neuro-technology of the demarchists, by contrast, was strictly banned, to appease the increasingly independent Norteño nationalists who despised transhumanism and championed "human patriotism," but also, because it offered both a political and an economic competitor to the Cártel and its main line of business in pharmaceuticals. The Cártel also expanded into other industries, including insurance, finance, hospitality, tourism, construction, armaments, and also new taboo activities, such as human cloning and organ harvesting (both entirely legal in El Norte). Salamanca's careful succession planning ushered a peaceful transfer of power back to collective rule after his passing in 2087. Though the council of drug capos moved away from El Paso, they kept Salamanca's style - highly public, vainglorious, monument-building, populist - and went about indulgently constructing infrastructure (and huge mansions) in their own hometowns to outdo each other in their local generosity.

Having added parts of the former American military-industrial complex to their safe haven, the Continuity network refocused outward, selling armaments to anti-leftist actors and anti-leftist proxies across North America. Norteño nationalist politicians and organizations, like Los Santos before them, broke free from subservience and become their own force to be reckoned with, agitating for military adventurism against Aztlan, the Western Autonomy, Sinaloa, and for some, all of North America or even all of the two Americas in pursuit of the concept of El Norte. Finally, there are movements of opposition to the government. The demarchist model of California has long been seen as the “what if” scenario for the highly educated professional class of the country who yearn for a real democracy. Generally wealthier and organized, these groups organized under the banner of the Sociedad de Civismo , and though Civistas openly demand reform, behind closed doors they are believed to want a democratic revolution.

Focus: distribute 6 points between 3 Capital types, select 4 Proficiencies
  • Military: 2
    • Mechanized: during the reign of Fortunato Salamanca, the rag-tag and massive irregular army, often made up of the poor and those addicted to the Cartel's drugs, was modernized by the state treasury and transformed into a formal armed forces capable of quick and rapid responses across the country's vast frontiers
  • Economic: 2
    • Armaments: major armaments firms produce weaponry for sale abroad that are controlled by the Cartel and through shell games by Continuity groups, such as Lockmartex
  • Political: 2
    • Espionage: both the Cartel and the Continuity network manage assets abroad that advance their aims, from various proxy Continuity affiliated anti-leftist proxy groups to criminal franchisees that ally with or operate as extensions of the Cartel in foreign lands
    • Memetics: the Cartel owns major Spanish-speaking news media and entertainment businesses, the Continuity network has a decades-long system of disinformation and information management both domestically and abroad, while Norteño nationalists have varying levels of domestic and foreign influence through music, movies, games, and Latino diaspora communities
Factions: define your controlling Faction and offer suggestions on other political movements

Cártel de Los Santos (populist drug capos)
Rising from rags to riches, the Saints won the Mexican drug war in the north and cultivated popular appeal through vainglorious acts of generosity and their heroic role in the Frontera War. After effecting the formation of El Norte, they legalized all of their hitherto illegal activity and dominate the politics of El Norte from behind a phony legislature and presidency. The Cartel is non-hereditary and something like a mixture of a political party and a corporate conglomerate. Members rise through the ranks and the drug capos are celebrities who ostentatiously lavish their hometowns and the people in-general in conspicuous spectacles. The Cartel has a dominant position in El Norte's pharmaceutical, biotech, hospitality, tourism, insurance, and construction sectors.

Continuity network (secretive anti-leftist successor-claimants)
Operating under a liberal interpretation of old America's Continuity of Operations policy, the CIA, NSA, and other elements of the security state relocated to Mexico. After a century of clandestine activity, this semi-secret society of radically anti-China and anti-leftist spies pull strings acrosss El Norte. It is believed that they view themselves as the only legitimate descendent of America and still harbour a desire to reunite the country. Through shell companies, the Continuity network control major arms manufacturers and designers such as Lockmartex.

Norteño nationalists (nationalists)
The idea of "El Norte" has long broken off its leash from the Cartel, gaining political momentum of its own. Norteño nationalists can be found across all strata of society, from the masses of unemployed to the educated elite - unified by a vision of a Latin American melting pot nation based in Evangelical Christian faith, humano-centric patriotism, and the stories of displacement and migration. Informal militias are tolerated by the government, many dating back to the Frontera War, while nationalists have a significant representation in the national legislature, collaborating with the Cartel's preferred politicians and even themselves being members of the Cartel, and some say, even the Continuity network.

Sociedad de Civismo (liberals, demarchists, and leftists)
With a domestic political spectrum so heavily swung to the right, more-or-less everyone in opposition to the status quo from any perspective is in some way affiliated with the Civistas. The main organizing body, which operates under constant legal and coercive pressure from the state, is the Society of Civic Virtue, which unsuccessfully fields candidates in elections, organizes protests, and promotes radically transforming El Norte either into a democracy or a syndicalist technocracy or a demarchy - anything but a corrupt Cartel state. Civistas have a significant presence online, providing illegal services that secure devices from spying and allow devices to access the dark web - some even say that Civistas smuggle neurotech from California and help those who wish to federate with the collective intelligence get illegal surgeries.

Anglo minorities (regionalists)
The English-speaking minorities, primarily of northeastern Texas, organize under the politically tolerated Lone Star Party that resists assimilation for those communities that do not see themselves as part of the Norteño national identity. Political currents in these communities tend to be extremely liberal, secular, even technocratic in the style of the the Combine, in a kind of schismogenesis with the dominant evangelicalism and conservatism of the populists, nationalists, and secret society types who makeup the mainstream of El Norte's political spectrum.

Claims: Happy to modify these to accommodate others.
Spoiler Claims :

Last edited:
Official Name: United States of America
Unofficial Names: Reconstructed States, East Coast States

Claims: Core claims are D.C + Delaware + Virginia. Stretch claims the entire United States east coast.

Summary: Julian Cole was a high ranking and popular general in the United States Army during the Sino-American War. Due to his popularity and political ambition, he was eventually dismissed by the United States government. After being roundly defeated, his cult of personality blamed the war’s loss on his dismissal (although historians critical of Cole have noted the United States lost due to its overwhelming material disadvantage, not due to its strategy).

An explosion in congress in opening sections of the Second Civil War provided the opportunity Julian Cole needed to seize power, essentially forcing the Supreme Court at gunpoint to recognise him as Acting President and then later President. Julian Cole then enacted a series of brutal purges that would be later known as the Great Draining via his sympathisers in the military, police and armed militias. He then directed the military to begin the process of reclaiming the United States.

Julian Cole ran the East Coast as a military junta both during his presidency and beyond. Cole served three years as Acting President and then four years as President, on-paper respecting the Constitution but after he left office he got his handpicked successor to appoint him both General of the Armies and Admiral of the Navies. During this era he was most commonly referred to with his informal title - Warlord.

Warlord Julian Cole gave lip service to the Constitution but did not tolerate dissent. Elections were run but results that Cole did not want to respect were thrown out, with Cole declaring entire regions where he was unpopular as “conflict zones” and used original Civil War precedent as reasoning for rejecting the election results. Forming new political parties was deemed illegal and candidates whom Cole and his cronies disliked were often disappeared.

During Cole’s reign, the United States was effectively constantly at war. Even when not attempting to annex territory, reconquered territories would constantly revolt due to Cole’s heavy handed regime. In a lot of ways the only thing that kept the United States together was Cole’s charisma and his cult of personality. This would all end with his death in 2087.

Julian Cole was succeeded as Warlord by his son, Nathaniel Cole. Nathaniel was deeply unpopular and highly incompetent. Unable to contain open revolt even in core territories, Nathaniel was assassinated by his Secret Service agents in 2090.

President George Diaz negotiated with the ‘91 movement who represented the masse protests, making a compromise with their demands. The United States would still seek to unify the country, but it would no longer only use the military to do so. It would apply a new constitution fairly and impartially, actually respecting democratic processes and the rule of law somewhat (this “Reconstructed Constitution” has been legislated to remain in force until the United States is properly reunited). It would still seek to reunite the United States, but it would be willing to accept productive use of soft power over governments existing in the lands that she once controlled.

As the sun rises on the 22nd century, the East Coast States (formally the United States) are divided between the Coleists, the Nationalists and the ruling Americanists. The Coleistswant to follow Cole’s vision and violently reunite the continent. The Nationalists believe that the United States’ time is done, they advocate for abandoning the country’s claims over the continent and building a new Republic of the East. The centrist Americanists moderate these two viewpoints, advocating for the slow unification of the continent through soft power and cooperation with their neighbours (although not entirely ruling out the idea of military force).

As China and Europe feast upon the carcass of this once mighty superpower and the spectre of Demarchism looms over the continent, what will be the legacy of the once mighty United States?

Discuss how your nation has weathered the 21st century, particularly:
  • Your descent from an existing nation (United States, Canada, or another country) ✅
  • Your relationship to the existing Great Powers (China, Europe) ❌(Incomplete)
  • How your nation organises itself politically, which classes or political groups are in power and which are not. ✅
  • How your nation has dealt with climate change and other societal disruptions. ❌ (Incomplete)
Focus:
-Military: 4
-Diplomacy: 1
-Economic: 1

Proficiencies: Mechanised (Military), Strategic (Military), Diplomacy (Political), Arms (Economic)

Government Faction
Name:
Americanists
Party: National Union Coalition
Tags: Nationalist, Liberal, Militarist

Julian Cole formed the National Union Coalition by forcing the remaining Democrat and Republican politicians and groups to join together into a coalition to present a “united front during this unprecedented crisis”. During Julian Cole’s reign, the NUC was essentially a vehicle to exercise his rule over the civilian sphere.

After the Revolution of ‘91, the National Union Coalition’s mandate has evolved with the times. It is the leading voice in the Americanist movement. It markets itself as the party of stability, steering the reunification project away from the hands of Coleist extremists while preventing the unpatriotic Nationalists from abandoning the union.

The National Union Coalition gains its support primarily from those valuing stability and prosperity above all else. They draw support from those who worry that the overly aggressive rhetoric and plans of the Coleists will destroy the commerce and peace that the now United States enjoys from, but who also worry that the sweeping changes proposed by the Nationalists will cause instability.

The Democrat and the Republican Parties still exist as de jure independent entities, but effectively they are a singular party under the NUC. Their continuing existence is nothing more than a historical artefact, some state branches have already begun the process of formally merging their parties.

<Tag Discussion: Nationalist should be self-explanatory. Liberal makes sense as the Americanist philosophy is about reuniting the country slowly and gradually so as not to upset things and the NUC respects democracy now that the Coles are dead. Militarist might not make a lot of sense but essentially the policy of the NUC is to speak softly and carry a big stick, to achieve that sort of policy you need a big stick and a willingness to hit people over the head with it>

Opposition Faction
Name:
Nationalists
Party: East Coast Progressive Nationalist Party
Tags: Nationalist(?), Separatist(?), Populist(?)

Originating from the more radical (yet still liberal) elements of the ‘91 Movement, the Nationalists are those who want to formally abolish the United States and build a new East Coast Republic through a democratic process. The East Coast Progressive Nationalist (ECPN) Party is the largest opposition party in congress, it is especially popular among the youth who have no memory of what it is that their grandparents and their parents want to give their lives up for.

<Tag Discussion: I honestly have no idea what tags they should be. Essentially I want them to be like Taiwanese Nationalists, centre-left liberals who want all this horsehocky to stop>

Opposition Faction
Name:
Coleists
Party: The War Caucus
Tags: Nationalist, Traditionalist, Militarist

The Coleist ideology is simple and attractive in its simplicity. They want to restart Julian Cole’s relentless military campaigns and reunite the United States by force. They want a strong, military government that will stamp out dissent and stop cooperation of the illegal “governments” that exist in unreconstructed American soil. They are all members of a personality cult around Julian Cole and are apologetic to the many mistakes of Nathaniel Cole. Like all reactionaries, they exaggerate the wonders of the past. They even exaggerate Julian Cole’s bloodthirstiness.

The War Caucus is the only Coleist party represented in the government, consisting of former NUC members who left the coalition and begun to caucus together due to perceived disrespect of Cole’s legacy by the NUC.

<Tags: Self-explanatory>

Supportive Faction
Name:
Military Industrial Complex
Party: N/A
Tags: Aristocratic, Militarist

The Military Industrial Complex was by far the most profitable industry throughout the Cole era. While lacking a political wing, it exercises influence through being wealthy and donating copious amounts of money to politics.

The Military Industrial Complex finds common ground with the more militaristic wings of the Americanist movement and parts of the Cole movement, although for the moment it supports the government because of its willingness to consider use of military force and its high military budget. It lacks the patriotic fervour of either of the political movements, really the MIC only cares about money. If peace proves more profitable, perhaps they will divest.

<Tags: Self-explanatory>

Opposition Faction
Name:
Demarchists
Party: ???
Tags: Demarchist

I should work this out with Belgarion.

Last edited:
Country Name: The Reva Aztara Combine (RAC)

Summary:
The Reva Aztara Combine (RAC) emerged in 2049 as a revolutionary coalition of various political and social movements, as well as major corporations. The RAC descends from the United States and has weathered the 21st century through a blend of socialism, technocratic corporatism, and military expansion. It has an ambiguous relationship with the existing Great Powers, often collaborating with Europe and China but wary of the latter's intentions. The RAC is politically organized with a ruling bureaucratic class descended from tech entrepreneurs and charismatic professional revolutionaries. The nation has dealt with climate change and societal disruptions through technological innovation and social reorganization.

Focus:
  • Military: 3
  • Political: 1
Proficiencies:
  1. Armaments
  2. Memetics
  3. Technology
  4. Engineering
Factions:
  1. Great Stewards
    • Aristocratic: As descendants of ex-revolutionaries, politicians, and great families, the Great Stewards possess significant personal capital and influence. They're focused on preserving and advancing the interests of their economic group.
    • Traditionalist: The Great Stewards value existing power structures and the status quo. They're resistant to change and modernization, and maintain their position at the top of the bureaucratic heap.
  2. Social Directorate
    • Populist: The Social Directorate draws its power from mass movements, speaking for the people and advocating for better conditions and resolution of social grievances. They harness the power of political correctness to maintain control and authority and hold regular elections.
    • Militarist: This faction glorifies and idealizes the military and armed forces. They believe that strength is essential for the stability and growth of the state, often initiating military adventures to resolve internal tensions.
    • Nationalist: This faction seeks to develop and expand the Reva Aztara Nation as a political authority, promoting a sense of common identity and unity in the population as a way of maintaining its connection to and control over the masses.
  3. Circuits Club
    • Liberal: Comprised of engineers and technicians, the Circuits Club's well-educated professionals seek careful change to benefit themselves and their communities, but are wary of instability.
    • Regionalist: The Circuits Club champions hundreds of smaller local identities, each advocating for regional development and autonomy, and looking to address the specific needs and priorities of their communities.
  4. Collective Cohesionists
    • Regionalist: The Collective Cohesionists are fundamentally particularists, generally small business owners who demand more autonomy and fewer obligations to the central authority.
    • Traditionalist: The Collective Cohesionists value the lived experience of their community leaders and aspire to an idealized view of social harmony.
    • Populist: A key pillar of support for the Collective Cohesionists is the political clout earned from votes for District Councils. This group has learned to stay in touch with its base of popular support.
  5. Andranistas
    • Demarchist: The Andranistas rely on a mix of Social Syndicalist thought and demarchist political "science" to coordinate economic, social, and political endeavors. They believe in using technology and data-driven approaches to create a more equitable society.
    • Expatriate: This faction looks abroad for inspiration and guidance, studying the successes and failures of other nations, particularly the Californians, to inform their policy decisions and strategies for optimizing human lifestyles and eliminating suffering.
Claims: The RAC is based in Cincinnati, with territories extending across the Great Plains to Colorado, and south along the Mississippi River from St. Louis.
Archetype: Revolutionaries
The Reva Aztara Combine seeks to create a new political and social order in the fractured landscape of North America. It champions a unique blend of ideologies and strives to expand its influence through military conquests and technological advancements. This ambition has led to tense relationships with other powers who view the RAC as a potential threat or destabilizing force.

History

Part 1: The Formation of the Reva Aztara Combine and General Okoye's Conquests

As the mid-21st century approached, the world faced unprecedented challenges. Climate change and environmental collapse were becoming increasingly apparent, with devastating storms, flooding, and desertification affecting large swaths of the United States. Automation and technological advances led to mass unemployment and rising inequality, as low-skilled workers found themselves increasingly replaced by robots and artificial intelligence. Amidst these crises, the seeds of revolution were sown.

In 2049, a coalition of revolutionary forces emerged, brought together by their shared vision of a better future. This diverse group, comprising indigenous peoples, African diaspora communities, working-class activists, and forward-thinking technocrats, united under the banner of "Social Syndicalism," an ideology that combined elements of socialism, workers' self-management, and cultural and social diversity. Together, they sought to challenge the old order, built on the foundations of colonialism and capitalism, and forge a new path for their region.

As the movement gained momentum, it began to attract the attention of key players from various sectors. Among them were tech entrepreneurs who saw an opportunity to harness the power of technology for the benefit of the people, while preserving their own influence. They joined forces with the revolutionary leadership, forming a strategic alliance that would shape the future of the emerging nation.

This unique blend of revolutionary ideology and corporate funding, plus a healthy mix of strategic revolutionary activity, culminated in the birth of the Reva Aztara Combine (RAC) on Juneteenth, 2065, a nation built on the principles of state syncretism and "anti-capitalist capitalism." After a short series of internal political struggles, the RAC fell firmly under the leadership of General Amara Okoye, a charismatic and skilled military commander, the RAC then began to expand its territory, seeking to unite the fractured landscape of the former United States.

General Okoye's conquests were swift and decisive, as her forces pushed westward across the Great Plains, securing key cities and resources along the way. They reached as far as Colorado, where the rugged mountains provided a natural barrier against further expansion. To the south, Okoye's forces advanced along the Mississippi River, capturing St. Louis and solidifying their control over the region's vital waterways. The bustling city of New Orleans, however, proved a more challenging target, and its conquest remained elusive.

As the RAC's territory expanded, so too did its population, incorporating diverse communities and cultures into its fold. The challenges of managing this diverse population were compounded by the ongoing environmental collapse and mass unemployment brought on by automation. However, the RAC's unique political structure, with its emphasis on social revolution and corporate pragmatism, allowed it to maintain a delicate balance between its various factions and interests.

General Okoye's conquests marked a turning point in the history of the Reva Aztara Combine, solidifying its position as a rising power in a rapidly changing world. Yet, the challenges facing the RAC were far from over, as it continued to navigate the treacherous waters of environmental collapse, mass unemployment, and political intrigue. The future of the Reva Aztara Combine would be shaped by its ability to adapt and overcome these obstacles, while remaining true to its founding principles and revolutionary ideals.

Part 2: The Reva Aztara Combine in 2100: A Glimpse from the Edge by Servical Hounds e-Women

Welcome back, fam, to your daily dose of Servical Hounds e-Women, here to spill the tea on the Reva Aztara Combine (RAC) in the year 2100. Strap in, babes.

Okay, so like, we all know RAC is a product of our wild history, right? A melting pot of revolutionary movements, Black rights, queer and women's liberation, de-colonization, and tech entrepreneurs. But, hold up! Did we really manage to solve all our problems? Spoiler alert: We didn't.

One of the hottest topics in the RAC rn is income inequality. Like, hello? Are we still not over this? Apparently, the Great Stewards are living it up in their climate-controlled luxury enclaves, while the working class is out there slaving away in the heat. And let's not forget our fave professional revolutionaries, the Social Directorate, busy preaching social justice while participating in some not-so-socially-just practices themselves. cough political assassinations in service of the stewards cough

Now, it's all fun and games until the Circuits Club, our beloved tech middle class, starts getting angsty about free enterprise and regional development. They've got dreams of economic freedom, but the system is keeping them in check. Kinda tragic, amirite?

Speaking of tragic, let's talk about the Collective Cohesionists. They're all about community over the individual, but here's the catch: they're also lowkey defending outdated social hierarchies. Like, seriously, babes? We don't need that kind of throwback to imperial thought. These regionalist babes might be pushing for more localized control to address community needs, but they're also propping up some dangerous ideas from the past. It's 2100, we've got to do better than that! And honestly, they should be afraid to challenge the status quo when it means standing up for the wrong kind of traditions. Yikes!

Meanwhile, the Andranistas are out here trying to optimize human lifestyles, but like, they're kinda being narcissistic nerds about it. They're all about demarchist ideals, using tech and data to create a more equitable society, but they're hyperfixating on stats and figures so much that they're missing the bigger picture. And seriously, can we talk about how they're always looking abroad for inspo and guidance? Like, we get it, other nations have cool ideas, but maybe we need to focus on our own issues instead of trying to be the next international trendsetters. C'mon, Andranistas, let's get our priorities straight!

But wait, there's more! We've got political factions all up in each other's faces, assassinating each other over political correctness. It's giving me some serious dystopian vibes, y'all. You'd think we're in a Heinlein movie or something.

And how do we cope with this tension? You guessed it! Military adventures! When in doubt, we just send our troops to conquer new territories and divide the spoils among the factions. #ProblemSolving

So yeah, that's the tea on the RAC in 2100. We've come a long way, but there's still a lot of work to do, and we've got plenty of internal contradictions to resolve. But you know what? It's high time for the Social Directorate to step up and smack down these other factions, for the good of the nation! The Great Stewards are out here resting on their laurels, just chilling in their ivory towers, and they neglect the people. We must root out those capitalist roadsters hiding among us!

We need a government that's truly dedicated to the cause, one that won't shy away from taking on the hard tasks and fighting for the people. So let's make it happen, RAC! It's time to put the power where it belongs and build a brighter future for all. Servical Hounds e-Women, signing off! Don't forget to like, comment, and subscribe!

[USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST]

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Last edited:
As you can tell I'm going to keep harassing you about your pitches like a thesis advisor without any undergrad classes until they're just right.
So... What nation should I choose?

Hello, I've made the final round of picks:

Immaculate's Aztlan has hollowed out and taken over the former Mexican state on behest of big corporations. It struggles with international recognition and even control of its own recognized borders, as rival cartels and claimants still hold considerable territory.

Crezth's Reva Aztara Combine and Kyzarc_Fotjage's Neoconfederates (?) are the chief challengers to the federal government in the East Coast, but also to each other, dividing the former American heartland in the Midwest. Reva Aztara is an idiosyncratic coalition of social justice warriors and big business, while the militant libertarians of the new Articles of Confederation advance a singular vision for American progress.

Finally, Caesar of Bread's Cascadian Federation is a throwback to the liberal republicanism of the 20th century in the Pacific Northwest, combining the former pacific states of the US with breakaways in northern California and former Canadian British Columbia. The centrist consensus is fragile and needs a delicate hand to manage the new trials of the 22nd century.

I'd like folks to finish up the pitches. What I especially need are your proficiencies, your capital allocation, and your dominant, player-controlled faction. I'll spend the next week putting together NPCs.

I'll spend time finalizing the character sheet this weekend.

In the meantime, allow me to get the flag wars started by presenting the national flag of the Reva Aztara Combine:
SvgFileService.png

In a crimson field of dreams, our nation's banner gleams,
A tapestry of unity, born of hope and schemes.
From struggles past and present, its vibrant hue we glean,
The Reva Aztara Combine, on this flag, we keen.

A canton of the purest gold, a symbol of our might,
Shines brightly in the corner, a beacon in the night.
It speaks of wealth and progress, achievements we've attained,
The wealth of our collective, in unity we've gained.

At the center of the gold, a single star in black,
A symbol of resilience, a sign we won't turn back.
Through darkness and adversity, this star will guide our way,
A promise of a brighter dawn, a new and better day.

So gaze upon this emblem, this flag of red and gold,
A story of our people, and of great resolve untold.
And as it flies above us, let it fill our hearts with pride,
The Reva Aztara Combine, forever side by side.

Last edited:
2 for Political
2 for Economy
2 for Military

Capital: New Seattle

SOCIAL DEMOCRAT PARTY: We are trying to end climate change in the PNW region, give jobs to people who need them, protect ourselves against Chinese threats, and maintain stability in British Columbia and California.

Other parties include the Liberal, Conservative, Centrist, Communist, and Barbecue Party

Sophia Hargreen woke up again, this time on a glimmering dawn. Dawn that heralded the end of a drastic century. "Alright, wakey-wakey Sophia.", she told herself. She got outside and rode her bike to the parliament at New Seattle, which was originally the seat of the city government in Seattle, back in the old days. But then she realized that Congress was on holiday, and so she went, back home.

The party was fun, of course. People from all over New Seattle came to have fun at the end of a wild time. Maybe, the next century would be greater.

An old tune quietly hummed and echoed into the air. It was one of old times, times before the great wars. Times before the fall of that grand nation that had been called "America".

Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme
Remember me to one who lives there
She once was a true love of mine

Last edited:
Full Submission for the Unified Western Autonomy
(Effective Anarchists)​

A splinter-group from the Effective Altruists, the Effective Anarchists were founded in San Francisco in the mid-2030s to determine the maximally just, maximally efficient political system. They rejected bureaucratic garbage. They rejected the rule of the few, but also 'rank democracy'. They decided to use technology to enable an entire society's participation in decision-making; every citizen would have a neural implant, which could be used to communicate instantaneously with every other. All political decisions would be made by the consensus intelligence, a machine-learning algorithm trained on their collective mental corpus and with which every citizen can interact. For every major political decision, consensus solicits feedback from all citizens and makes the optimal decision for all. Any consenting adult may join, though they must be invited to join consensus by the existing membership.

History

2025-2041 - Intellectual Roots, Silicon Citadels, and the Menlo Park Autonomy
The first Effective Anarchists, operating in the California Bay Area in the mid-2020s, were responding then-popular Longtermist theories made popular by Will MacAskill. While MacAskill argued that stable liberal institutions were critical to long-term human flourishing, the Effective Anarchists replied that liberal institutions entrenched an unhappy state in which the vast majority were unfree, growing less free, and were in fact bound in a brutal web of hierarchism. Emilia Valejo's pivotal essay Autonomous Demarchy fused anarchism, most especially Bookchinist social ecology and democratic condederalism, with intense techno-optimism. Vallejo envisioned a society in which the fundamental social building block is the "collective intelligence," a small group that is democratic, self-governing, and oriented symbiotically around a machine-learning algorithm. Collective intelligences could instantaneously coordinate with one another through their ML algorithm, using democratic procedures to make and execute collective decisions. She was joined by Lev Kraznov, who took a Marxist approach and argued that the capitalist mode of production was collapsing in favour of the anarchic mode of production, which was both decentralized and digital. Bourgeois social relations must be overthrown in favour of anarchic social relations as technology plunges asymptotically towards frictionless communication. The development of Effective Anarchist praxis was lead by Herbert Rees, who attempted to build demarchy within the shell of the capitalist mode; to this end, he founded a number of demarchist start-ups were founded focused on consensus-building within small entities like neighbourhoods or cooperatives; none of them succeeded.

However, the movement was given its first real opportunity with the collapse of the American political system. During the turbulent years of 2037-38, Silicon Valley tech firms chose to accelerate plans to expand their business parks and provide on-site housing and protection for their employees. These closed communities became known as the Silicon Citadels, enclaves for the world's top knowledge workers. At Apple, a general corporate disinterest in providing actual governance lead Rees and Vallejo (who were lower-level executives at the time) to push aggressively for a "low-cost, decentralized, and automated" approach - to use tech from Rees' failed start-ups to quickly scale up a demarchic governing system for Menlo Park. This became known as the Menlo Park Autonomy; democratic feedback was solicited from small discussion groups for all major policy decisions, followed by a vote of approval by the entire collective. All discussions were mediated and policies executed by the governing AI (and its support team), Auto. During the Menlo Park Autonomy, most users interacted with Auto, the wider autonomy, and friends via Apple Glasses, though simpler interactions over smartphones and watches was also common.

The Effective Anarchists were jubilant. Finally, a real-world example of their desired system - and it was working great! Early kinks were quickly ironed out; while it was unwieldy to have mass discussions on every issue, individuals could be selected by sortition to participate in subject-specific working groups that would discussion an optimal solution, achieving consensus between themselves and passing their proposals on to the wider collective. Participation was high, and soon the Auto was used to organize all social services, mediate disputes over public spaces, for socializing, and as social media. Unfortunately, the autonomy was a victim of its own success. Employees asserted that the Autonomy ought to be given more authority in Apple's corporate decision-making; it's model was so successful, it should be expanded! But top executive leadership realized this had gone too far. They fired Rees and Vallejo, quashed employee dissent, and pioneered new ways to limit information exchanged and democratic participation on Auto, while maintaining a low-cost governance model. Effective Anarchists were crushed, as was employee morale, but they were too fearful of the chaos outside Menlo Park to give more than a weak protest.

2041-2057 - Effective Anarchism in the Southwest Union, and the Twelve Minutes of Revolution
Meanwhile, Lev Kraznov had not been able to join the Menlo Park Autonomy; he was a technical specialist at Google during Citadelization, and failed in an early attempt to convince his superiors of automated demarchic governance. Instead, Kraznov grew resentful and increasingly reclusive; he began developing neural implants for impossibly fast, deep, and complex communication, the earliest of which he prototyped on himself. The Menlo Park Autonomy collapsed just as he was realizing a truly successful device, and Kraznov decided to flee with his tech and a few die-hard Effective Anarchists to a secret facility in the Sierra Nevada mountains, founding the California Collective, the first independent autonomy. The founding of the Collective marked a conspiracist turn for the Effective Anarchists; Kraznov focused on developing low-profile neural implants for Collective members, who subsequently infiltrated many powerful positions across California. It was during this time that the Ritual of the Transcendent Intelligence, and other secretive rites, were developed to bind the committed to one another. Rees and Vallejo, meanwhile, worked on evangelizing demarchy and planting new autonomies. Demarchist, algorithmic governing systems could be off of smartphones, and became popular throughout the central valley and southern california as a means of organizing communities and coordinating (encrypted) resistance to cartel infiltration. Demarchism spread throughout the years of the Southwest Union, but Tech oligarchs continued to regard it as a fringe social movement until the fiasco of the Frontera War.

During the war, elite confidence in the government of the Southwest Union rapidly degraded. The oligarchs began tacitly began endorsing the spread of the Effective Anarchist network, as successful autonomies began merging and federating and demarchists became increasingly open and prominent within the Silicon Citadels. On April 12th, 2057, a small group of Tech oligarchs, many of whom had been Kraznovian agents, initiated the Twelve Minute Revolution. They instantaneously broadcast a proposal to every Autonomy - to secede from the Southwest Union and form an Autonomous Republic. Discussion immediately took place within each autonomy, consensus was rapidly achieved, and the Autonomists declared themselves independent. The Demarchists simultaneously seized all communications and military infrastructure, and most major oligarchs, CEOs, and municipal leaders declared themselves for the Autonomy; the Los Santos cartel and the Southwest Unionist had only to accept the fait accompli.

2057-2084 - Unity, Fragmentation, and the Neuroterror Conflict
The young Western Autonomy found itself needing to manage new challenges; foreign affairs, domestic crime, and the incorporation of non-demarchist regions into alignment with the wider Autonomy. To cope, the Tech oligarchs moved into effective leadership. They introduced a new, more sophisticated governing intelligence known as Unity to act as a kind of national government, and overseen by a board of elected trustees. However, Unity's management and consensus-finding processes, while sleek and easy to engage with, were manipulated to produce elite-favoured outcomes such as the expansion of Chinese "Embassies" throughout the Autonomy, ostensibly to support and protect the Autonomy from its neighbours. In response, many Autonomies seceded from Unity, and California became saturated with competing Autonomies, while simultaneously at the edges of the Autonomy there was energetic expansion as revolutionary fervour spread; the Autonomy was therefore expanding, successful, and dysfunctionally chaotic.

Ultimately, the forces of centralization won out. Joachim Santiago, a passionate Effective Anarchist rising from the fractured political landscape of Los Angeles, managed to unite the region by building a highly transparent, procedurally fair governing algorithm that any constituent autonomy could trust. He called this system Liberation, and over time it was successful enough to pose a real threat to Unity and the Tech oligarchs, who were now lead by scion and bombastic strategist X Musk. What followed was the Neuroterror Conflict, a quasi-war from 2081-2084 that took the form of successive drone strikes, weaponized computer viruses, and terror plots between Liberation and Unity that forced many independent Autonomies to merge and federate for safety. The conflict saw widespread use of both neural implants and neural viruses, i.e. malware for the human mind, which could cause implanted humans to hallucinate, go blind, develop intense phobias, or even stroke. The conflict ended with the Malibu Conference; in response to the damage of war, growing international instability, and the need to defend the Great Demarchic Experiment, Santiago, Musk, and the representatives of several smaller Autonomies agreed to merge and form the Unified Western Autonomy. They would further merge their governing systems into Consensus, which combined the transparency and legitimacy of Liberation with the streamlined UX design of Unity. The simultaneous discussion groups, consensus-building process, and referenda were overwhelmingly supported; California found itself suddenly stable for the first time in over forty years.

2084-present - Migration, Citizenship, and Invigilation
Since the founding of Consensus, Autonomy politics have been dominated by the questions of Citizenship and Invigilation. Political stability and direct investment from China has driven economic growth in the Autonomy, which has caused it to attract migrants from across North America. Individual intelligences within the Autonomy, however, have absolute control over citizenship, and advocates of Pure Mind demarchy have jealously guarded that privilege. While they have been opposed by member of Transcendent Spirit, who seek to expand Effective Anarchism to the whole of humanity, Transcendists have often prioritized increasing the intensity of inter-human and human-AI communication when they've negotiated with their peers. Transcendists have also advocated for introducing increasingly advanced, and opaque, artificial intelligence into Consensus; they hope to achieve new depth of consciousness in communion with such 'higher beings.' Unified Purpose has stood firm opposing the advance of inscrutable intelligences; they view machines as mere tools to facillitate higher human collaboration, who can achieve greatness through collective action and purpose. They do not believe that anarchism means an abandonment of order, but merely the transition from hierarchism to egalitarianism. Both Unified Purpose and Pure Mind have been strong advocates of the Invigilation movement, whose landmark victory is the establishment of the Network for Scrutiny and Transparency (NST) tasked with relentlessly interrogating and aligning Consensus to ensure it is fair, reliable, and non-manipulative. However, NST has been gradually evolving into a league of independent, investigative journalist-bounty-hunters, where investigators are paid based on the size and scope of malfeasance revealed. The Autonomy moves into the 22nd century with the forces of unity and fracture in delicate balance.

Military

Economic

1) Technology - Silicon Citadels remain competitive worldwide, attracting top talent to their autonomous campuses. Kraznova is an innovator in neurotech, and have rapidly expanded their product line in the second half of the 21st century to include a range of products that can interface directly with neural implants (cars, smart homes, etc.).
2) Engineering - Hyperloop Galactic is a company founded on grandiose visions of space elevators and rail lines in geosynchronous orbit - in reality, they manufacture a range of sleek transportation technologies and operate a thriving satellite and rocketry division.

Political
1) Espionage - Resolute Mind is a shadowy organization of demarchists, steeped in the ritual and conspiracy of pre-revolutionary California and hardened by the Neuroterror Conflict.
2) Memetics - Nexi is the hugely-popular communication platform developed by Kraznova, which is cross-functional on all devices.

Factions: Competing constantly within consensus are a range of views, which can be distinguished into three main factions:

Pure Mind - defined by the maxim "Garbage in, Garbage out;" they believe that consensus represents the ideal political instrument, but that it can be corrupted if citizenship is expanded too rapidly. Pure Mind adherents stress that the primary advantage of democratic anarchy is to optimize decision-making, but that it cannot do so if it is given inferior inputs. Citizenship must therefore be limited to intelligent and educated individuals who share Effective Anarchist values.

Transcendent Spirit (under construction)

Unified Purpose
(under construction)

Also relevant within demarchist society are the Contractors - everyone who isn't in consensus, but lives in EA-controlled territory and works for their companies; individuals may or may not wish to join consensus.

Claims: California, Nevada, maybe some surrounding areas, I'm flexible

Last edited:
Just to clarify a few small things:

• I need proficiencies and capital. Right now I especially need proficiencies since I'm making power centers.
  • I need it posted in the thread, I'm not checking google docs you sent me a month ago to see if things have updated.
  • You have 1 of each capital as a baseline for free. The additional capital you have to spend is on top of that.

Fiiiiiiiine, I'll post it here too. History might change a bit pending review by Crezth+Ninjacow given how intertwined our narratives are, but the broad strokes are there.
The Articles of Confederation
Spoiler Summary :

They're the remnants of the rust belt and the assorted militias that rose there, with parts of Liberated Ontario

Spoiler Great Powers :

They're opposed to both the radical liberalism of the European Union and the damned <insert slur here> commies of China. They believe firmly in America, traditional values, and the supremacy of the vaguely-defined White Race. Any overt attempts by either power to influence things is a good way to get strung up.

Spoiler Basic Political Breakdown :

Political power in the country rests in three groups: the state militias, the plutarchs of Detroit and Chicago, and the Marshals. The state militias wield their power directly and are most prominent in the rural communities, typically led by local strongmen who coordinate their efforts within their states but often conflict on state level political issues. The plutarchs are usually the ones people point to as being ‘really in charge’, being the most similar to the old corporate rulers of the USA, but their control over the militias is necessarily a light touch as overt attempts to control them usually leads to severe backlash by the strongly Libertarian-leaning milita. The Marshals, meanwhile, are the ones that conspiracy nuts point to. They’re ostensibly filling the role of a loose national police force, with several thousand members who enforce the law and coordinate local law enforcement against particularly large criminal organizatoins. The image that they conjure in most people’s mind is very much the US Marshal in an old Western, bringing the law to the scattered rural communities while on their long patrols. In actual fact they’re a highly organized and well armed paramilitary force with a large network that extends from the Rockies to the Atlantic. While some of them do indeed go out on the classic patrols through the rural Confederation, most are office workers in Chicago, Detroit, and Toronto, and there are a significant number that act as spies and wetworks operators in the RAC, USA, and Quebec.

Spoiler Climate Change Disruptions :

How your nation has dealt with climate change and other societal disruptions: in a word? Badly. Climate change crippled agriculture in the Midwest and the collapse of first American hegemony then the American state made it nigh-impossible to feed the major urban centers. There was a mass exodus from the region and the urban centers of Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and Columbus all being shadows of their former selves. Only Chicago and Detroit, being the political and economic hearts of the Confederation respectively and being on the Great Lakes, have come out of the 21st century somewhat intact. The mass exodus from urban centers and tremendous failures of the federal government has radicalized the populations of the states and far-right beliefs have become the norm. Millions died or left the region and those who are left often have a difficult time feeding themselves. The annexation of large chunks of Ontario helped somewhat, with the addition of the agricultural lands and space that refugees can be moved to, though the added strain of adding a third major metropolitan center in the form of Toronto has led to its own problems.

Focus: 4 proficiencies (Mechanized x1, Irregular x1, Espionage x2)
Military: 3
Economy: 0
Political: 3
Claims: rust belt and northern midwest, including bits of southern Ontario
Spoiler Factions :

Dominant Faction Traditionalist/Militarist: The Urbanite Traditionalists of Chicago, who dream of its glory days, and various small towns in the Deoccupied Midwest coupled with the militarized rural folks.
Aristocrat/Militarists of Detroit: military industrialists who came into their money and influence during the Sino-American war. They're generally strongly in support of continuing the expansion of the Confederation, particularly eastwards into New York which would provide them with both access to the Atlantic and remove a military threat. The primary point of tension between them and the Confederation is, oddly enough, environmental regulations. Dumping waste into the Great Lakes is universally recognized even by the wingnuts as a terrible idea due to the Confederation’s dependence on them for aquaculture and Detroit is the largest source of water pollution.
Liberal/Aristocrats: Doves in both Detroit and Chicago who wish to engage in more peaceful trade with their neighbors and turn the factories to more profitable ends than weaponry for the state.
Liberal/Nationalists: who want to hold a Constitutional Congress and restore the old Constitution.
Populists of Chicago: who want the state to focus on internal economic matters and provide a sustainable longterm solution to the ongoing food crisis.
Regional/Liberals of Ontario: the remaining liberals of Ontario who didn’t flee during the conflict. They’re politically and economically aligned with Detroit by virtue of OMP being the biggest group invested in the rebuilding effort.
Regional/Militarists of Toronto: the decades of warfare has left many remaining in Toronto and Southern Ontario angry and armed. Some wish that the surrender hadn’t gone through, so Toronto and Ontario could still be a proudly independent state. Others are actually okay with the current status quo, the Confederation ceding most authority to the individual states, but are arming themselves in case the Confederates try to centralize power.

Spoiler History :

2030’s: Sino-American war, Detroit becomes a major industrial center again as the West Coast is devastated. The USA’s loss in the war is blamed on the weakness and cowardice of the soft liberals of the coasts by locals in the Rust Belt, greatly exacerbating the radicalization of the region behind alt-right figures.

2040’s: Cole’s rise to power is heralded by some in the alt-right as necessary to purge the liberal corruption and weakness from the government, while pointed to by others as a clear sign that the federal government has lost all legitimacy and should be dissolved entirely. Sporadic demonstrations and protests by both sides lead to violence and the decade is marked by what is essentially a low-scale insurgency in Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana. These are greatly exacerbated by worsening environmental conditions in the Midwest causing crop failures, leading in turn to heavy food cost inflation and a minor refugee crisis in the Rust Belt. Towards the end of the 2040’s an epidemic of a mutated form of Lyme Disease, thought to be caused by the mild winters allowing infected ticks to spread northwards, infects a full 10% of the population of the Rust Belt and leaving many with severe facial palsy. The CDC, under pressure by the administration, pushes out a vaccine for Lyme Disease without completing its clinical trials. The vaccine proves fatal to one in ten thousand people which, when it comes to light, causes a complete collapse in Rust Belt support for the Federal government.

2050’s: The vaccine proves the final straw for many of the pro-Cole and pro-Federal militia groups, who either collapse as their members form their own militias aligned with the anti-government ones they’d been fighting or flip wholesale. Open civil war breaks out in the region as militia forces temporarily seize the Detroit Arsenal, the primary hub of the US military in the region, and move thousands of tons of equipment from the city in a matter of days on small trucks to groups across the region. By the time the military proper retakes the base, a grinding affair itself, the place had been largely stripped of equipment. The members of the militia which had seized it, the heavily Christian Hutaree, chose to martyr themselves by fighting to the last rather than face capture. Their sacrifice and the equipment they stole galvanized the other militias in the Rust Belt to direct, large scale action against federal forces. While the militias are largely incapable of fighting the US military directly, they’re able to fight an adequate asymmetrical war that proves a large drain on the Federalist forces. The insurgency builds in strength over time, with key turning points being when the Ohio National Guard, already riddled with informants and militia sympathizers, flipped outright and when Omni Military Products (OMP) managed to legislate the official recognition of its military control of Detroit by the Cole administration, which made the illicit sale of OMP firearms to non-state actors significantly easier. At this time the militias are only loosely working together.

2060’s: As the Cole adminstration’s focus became increasingly distracted from the Rust Belt, particularly the leadup to the rise of the RAC in 2065, political figures in the region became emboldened. Behind the scenes negotiations between the Chief Executive of OMP and Mayor Carlos Pritzker of Chicago on how to best ensure their respective cities survive the ongoing conflict turn to talks of independence. They culminate in the refounding of the old Articles of Confederation, formed by Michigan, Indiana, and Illinois. OMP in Detroit laid the groundwork for this by secretly supplying of large numbers of mechanized vehicles and artillery pieces to the Illinois and Michigan National Guards, which were rolled out in a massive offensive on April 1st 2066, or Certification Day as its now known in the region. Local militias had been counseled to restrain themselves in the months leading up to Certification Day, which lulled federal forces into thinking that the conflict had been largely frozen, in turn allowing them to pivot attention towards the RAC and General Okoye. The offensive overwhelms Federal forces, who were shocked by the sudden introduction of massed mechanized forces and artillery to what had been a counter-insurgency campaign. While initially highly successful, driving federal forces out from Michigan, Illinois, and northern Indiana, the offensive ground to a halt in eastern Ohio as enthusiasm and daring prove they’re not an adequate replacement for proper training or a robust bureaucracy. The Ohio state government moves to Cincinnati and aligns itself with the RAC, a move that’s seen as a betrayal by the heavily conservative and typically white-nationalist militias of northern Ohio and the rest of the Articles of Confederation.

2070’s: The war with the Federalists begins to cool down as neither side makes significant progress and friction with the RAC begins to build. Politicians in Chicago, nervous about the RAC’s proximity, push to have their western flank secured through the annexation of Wisconsin. This endeavor is supported by Detroit so the Articles will monopolize control over Lake Michigan, the first step towards complete control over the Great Lakes. The state government of Wisconsin, straining under the pressure of climate-induced economic collapse and being cut off from federal funding, caves after a short campaign by the Illinois National Guard and a series of amphibious assaults by the Northwest Lower Michigan Civil Defense. Roughly ten thousand Wisconsin and Minnesotan refugees are resettled on Isle Royale as a humanitarian gesture by Chicago with assistance from the Michigan Militia. When Ontario objects to this the island is seized by force by militia forces and the refugees are given arms. A Canadian expedition to retake the island is sent, but gets bogged down for several months and a deal is struck with the refugees to let them stay. This appeasement leads to further resettlement efforts on the shore of Lake Superior, with tens of thousands of people being deposited with a few months of supplies and enough guns to extract concessions from the Ontario government.

2080’s: The hybrid war with Ontario turns hot when the city of Thunderbay is seized by ‘refugees’, not so secretly soldiers of the Michigan National Guard. Ontario launches a fullscale attack on the city to retake it and videos of bombed refugee camps in the city are used to galvanize militia groups and further militarize Wisconsin refugees. The War of Northern Aggression takes the better part of the decade as Southern Ontario turns into a massive mess of urban fighting and defensive ditches. Both sides’ limited air support and heavy armaments, with the Confederates sourcing almost all of theirs from the heavily fortified factories of Detroit and Ontario having to import most of theirs from the EU, makes every advance a slow, bloody affair. Ontario is eventually capitulates when Confederate commandos manage to successfully destroy the raillines heading eastwards in Quebec, cutting off their supply of armaments. The somewhat limited nature of the conflict, with strategic bombing and largely fixed lines of engagement, leant itself to a surprisingly cordial peace afterwards, with Detroit-based OMP being interested in an extensive rebuilding effort and maintaining good relations with the newly ‘liberated’ region. Toronto is left a shadow of its former self, with less than a million residents remaining from its height in the 20’s, but still large enough to rival Chicago and Detroit. Ontario becomes the sixth and seventh states in the confederation, with Northern Ontario (based around Thunderbay) separating itself from Southern Ontario.

In the south tensions with the RAC turn to a perpetual skirmishing war along the border as Confederate Indiana and Ohio militias and the RAC regular military start taking opportunistic shots at one another. Chicago is able to prevent fullscale warfare with the RAC, but as Federal forces become an increasingly distant threat, disdain for the rampant liberalism and PC-ness of the RAC proves aggravating to evangelical militias along the border. People cross going both ways to escape the PC Police/Milita Wingnuts, and stories of how they were forced out of their rightful homes by repressive *******s encourages a low key guerrilla war. Things are more stable in southern Illinois as Chicago acts as a stabilizing influence and noone wanting to interrupt trade along the Mississippi.

2090’s: The death of Cole and then his son left the USA unstable and vulnerable. Flush with victory from the War of Northern Aggression and with a substantial amount of surrendered EU equipment to supplement Detroit’s production, the Articles launches another full blown mechanized attack eastwards into New York. Supply lines prove more difficult to maintain than initially imagined, the reconstruction of Southern Ontario being slowed by insufficient funding and while they had some supplies of European weaponry these were rapidly depleted, leaving the Confederate forces entirely reliant on Detroit’s production lines yet again. The offensive peters out quickly in the early 90’s and are ultimately thrown back entirely as the US stabilizes and counterattacks. The remainder of the decade is spent slowly rebuilding war potential and preparing for the next attempt, efforts hampered by the continual guerrilla campaign with RAC forces to the south.

Final Submission: The Reva Aztara Combine (RAC)

Summary:
The Reva Aztara Combine (RAC) is a political and military organization that emerged in the mid-21st century as a response to the decentralization and chaos that ensued following the collapse of the United States' federal government. Founded on the principles of meritocracy, social justice, and the harnessing of technology to enhance human potential, the RAC established its dominance in the regions west of Cincinnati, including Kansas City and St. Louis, under the leadership of General Amarant Okoye. Throughout its history, the RAC has sought a balance between individual autonomy and centralized control, with its core values evolving and adapting to the challenges of the era. The RAC has managed to secure its territory through various conquests and campaigns, expanding its influence, fostering economic growth, and protecting its "industrious culture" from the social collapses of the 21st century.

Great Powers: In the global context, the RAC maintains a cautious relationship with the major powers, Europe and China, and engages in trade and cooperation when it aligns with their interests and values. The RAC's balancing act between its founding principles and the necessities of international relations has been a source of internal debate and tension.

Internal Politics: Politically, the RAC is a complex and diverse organization, with factions and leaders who emphasize different aspects of its ideology. Some prioritize meritocracy and technological progress, while others focus on social justice and environmental concerns. The death of General Okoye in 2080 ushered in a new generation of leaders, such as Amani Bello, who have pursued sustainable development and innovation in the face of internal and external challenges.

Climate Change: Strict ecology is considered a key discipline of the state within the Reva Aztara Combine (RAC), and a significant portion of the organization's authority stems from its perceived expertise in addressing climate change and safeguarding the population, wealth, and standard of living from its detrimental effects. In response to the challenges posed by climate change, the RAC has implemented initiatives in renewable energy, sustainable agriculture, and innovative technologies to mitigate these impacts and establish a resilient and self-sufficient economy. The RAC has also sought to address climate change-related issues by promoting social and community use as higher priorities than individual use, fostering a collective sense of responsibility and shared purpose in confronting environmental challenges, to the eternal chagrin of a certain class . As the 21st century comes to a close, the RAC continues to refine its identity and adapt its priorities, working to build a more just, equitable, and ecologically responsible society in the face of an ever-changing world.

Focus:
  • Military: 3
  • Political: 1
Proficiencies:
  1. Armaments
  2. Memetics
  3. Technology
  4. Engineering
Spoiler Proficiencies :

Armaments: Fort Okoye, Kansas City
Fort Okoye, located in Kansas City, is a premier armaments research, development, and production facility within the RAC's domain. Established after General Amarant Okoye's westward conquests, Fort Okoye has become a symbol of her legacy and the RAC's military prowess. It houses state-of-the-art facilities for weapons research, manufacturing, and testing, ensuring the RAC remains at the forefront of modern warfare. As a key constituent of the Reva Aztara Combine, Fort Okoye contributes to the centralized corporatist syndicate's defense capabilities, bolstering the RAC's reputation as a formidable force in a volatile world.

Memetics: The Mendoza Institute, Cincinnati
The Mendoza Institute, founded in Cincinnati, is a renowned institution dedicated to the study and application of memetics within the Reva Aztara Combine. Named after Aria Mendoza, one of the philosophical founders of the RAC, the institute focuses on understanding the power of ideas, culture, and communication in shaping society. The Mendoza Institute plays a crucial role in the RAC's centralized corporatist syndicate by developing persuasive messaging and effective communication strategies that reinforce the RAC's values and vision, fostering cohesion and unity among its diverse constituents.

Technology: The Procter Innovations Center, Cincinnati
The Procter Innovations Center, located in Cincinnati, is a leading technology institution and an essential part of the Reva Aztara Combine's centralized corporatist syndicate. Established on the foundation of the pre-war Procter & Gamble Corporation, the center was repurposed after the formation of the RAC to focus on advanced technology research and development. As a testament to the RAC's commitment to innovation, the Procter Innovations Center absorbed many former P&G researchers, engineers, and facilities, carrying forward the spirit of the once-great corporation. Today, the center specializes in diverse fields, including materials science, AI, and biotechnology, driving the RAC's technological progress and global competitiveness.

Engineering: The Wright-Patterson Institute, Dayton
The Wright-Patterson Institute, situated in Dayton, is a premier engineering institution within the Reva Aztara Combine. Built upon the legacy of the pre-war Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, the institute was established after the RAC's rise to power to preserve and expand upon the rich engineering heritage of the former military installation. The Wright-Patterson Institute incorporates the expertise and infrastructure of the former air force base, focusing on aerospace engineering, advanced propulsion systems, and defense technologies. As a key constituent of the RAC's centralized corporatist syndicate, the institute plays a vital role in maintaining and advancing the RAC's engineering capabilities, particularly in the realm of defense and aerospace innovation.

Spoiler Factions :

Factions:
  1. Great Stewards
    • Aristocratic: As descendants of ex-revolutionaries, politicians, and great families, the Great Stewards possess significant personal capital and influence. They're focused on preserving and advancing the interests of their economic group.
    • Traditionalist: The Great Stewards value existing power structures and the status quo. They're resistant to change and modernization, and maintain their position at the top of the bureaucratic heap.
  2. Social Directorate (Player Faction)
    • Populist: The Social Directorate draws its power from mass movements, speaking for the people and advocating for better conditions and resolution of social grievances. They harness the power of political correctness to maintain control and authority and hold regular elections.
    • Militarist: This faction glorifies and idealizes the military and armed forces. They believe that strength is essential for the stability and growth of the state, often initiating military adventures to resolve internal tensions.
    • Nationalist: This faction seeks to develop and expand the Reva Aztara Nation as a political authority, promoting a sense of common identity and unity in the population as a way of maintaining its connection to and control over the masses.
  3. Circuits Club
    • Liberal: Comprised of engineers and technicians, the Circuits Club's well-educated professionals seek careful change to benefit themselves and their communities, but are wary of instability.
    • Regionalist: The Circuits Club champions hundreds of smaller local identities, each advocating for regional development and autonomy, and looking to address the specific needs and priorities of their communities.
  4. Collective Cohesionists
    • Regionalist: The Collective Cohesionists are fundamentally particularists, generally small business owners who demand more autonomy and fewer obligations to the central authority.
    • Traditionalist: The Collective Cohesionists value the lived experience of their community leaders and aspire to an idealized view of social harmony.
    • Populist: A key pillar of support for the Collective Cohesionists is the political clout earned from votes for District Councils. This group has learned to stay in touch with its base of popular support.
  5. Andranistas
    • Demarchist: The Andranistas rely on a mix of Social Syndicalist thought and demarchist political "science" to coordinate economic, social, and political endeavors. They believe in using technology and data-driven approaches to create a more equitable society.
    • Expatriate: This faction looks abroad for inspiration and guidance, studying the successes and failures of other nations, particularly the Californians, to inform their policy decisions and strategies for optimizing human lifestyles and eliminating suffering.

Spoiler History :

History

2025-2041 - Emergence, Ethos, and the Ascent of the RAC: A Marriage of Social Justice and Syndicate Corporate Interests

The Reva Aztara Combine (RAC) was formed in response to the social and economic upheaval of the mid-2020s. Born in the heartland of America, the RAC was a radical leftist movement that championed social justice and sought to combine these ideals with aggressive syndicate corporate interests. The movement's founders, Aria Mendoza and Uriel Romano, envisioned a society where the power of old Midwestern bourgeoisie would be crushed and redistributed, paving the way for a more equitable and just future.

As the RAC began to gain traction, it attracted the attention of Isidora Cortez, an influential tech entrepreneur who saw the potential in the movement's ideals. Cortez started a series of initiatives that promoted meritocracy and technology-driven social organization. These initiatives led to the establishment of RAC-affiliated institutions, which began as experimental communities that combined AI-driven governance with meritocratic principles. The most successful of these experiments was the Aztara Project, which soon became the RAC's flagship community.

During this period, the RAC embarked on a campaign of aggressive corporate acquisitions, dismantling and absorbing old companies that had once been the backbone of the Midwestern economy. This consolidation of power and wealth had a profound impact on the region, as many powerful families and old bourgeoisie fled north to ally themselves with the gangs running the Great Lakes. The results of these alliances were mixed, but they ultimately fueled the RAC's drive for expansion and conquest.

The RAC's core ethos revolved around social justice, and it sought to amplify the voices of marginalized communities while aggressively challenging the traditional power structures that had perpetuated inequality. As the movement grew, it began to adopt a more radical stance, with some members advocating for direct action and even violence to achieve their goals. This militant faction within the RAC would eventually come to shape its future direction, as it prepared to enter a new phase of expansion and power consolidation.

By the end of 2041, the RAC had become a potent and influential force in the region, known for its blend of social justice activism and ruthless corporate tactics. The movement's techno-meritocratic principles had taken root in the Aztara Project and other experimental communities, paving the way for a new era of RAC dominance. However, the RAC's rapid growth and ideological fervor would also bring new challenges and internal divisions, as the movement grappled with questions of governance, diplomacy, and the role of force in achieving its goals. The rise of a charismatic and ambitious military leader, General Amarant Okoye, would soon come to shape the future of the RAC in ways that its founders could never have anticipated.

2042-2058 - The Lake Erie Campaign, Rise of General Amarant Okoye, and the RAC's Westward Expansion

In the early 2040s, the RAC faced the challenge of the Lake Erie Campaign, a significant battle in which a coalition of local and paramilitary forces fought off Federal police and military detachments. This conflict caused the destruction of a wide swath of Cleveland and the southern Lake Erie coast, contributing to the further separation of Detroit and Cincinnati from the East Coast. General Amarant Okoye, a charismatic and ambitious military strategist, led the RAC forces during the Lake Erie Campaign, cementing her place as a powerful figure within the movement.

Okoye's incredible achievements during the Lake Erie Campaign propelled her to political power and prestige upon her return to Cincinnati. Wasting no time in consolidating her newfound authority, she marshaled a frenzy to march westward and conquer new territories for the RAC. Under her leadership, the movement captured St. Louis, Kansas City, and large swaths of the Great Plains, extending its reach all the way to the outskirts of Denver.

Okoye's westward conquests not only expanded the RAC's territory but also solidified its reputation as a formidable military force. Her tactics, which emphasized speed, stealth, and the strategic use of technology, earned her the nickname "The Ghost of the Midwest." The RAC's meritocratic principles guided these expansion efforts, ensuring that resources were allocated based on competence and hard work rather than on privilege or nepotism.

As the RAC's influence and territorial control grew, so did its impact on the political and social landscape of the region. Okoye's forces overthrew the federal government in hundreds of districts, implementing sweeping reforms and redistributing wealth and power to marginalized communities. The RAC's blend of social justice activism, meritocratic principles, and military prowess had a transformative effect on the American Midwest.

However, the RAC's rapid rise and aggressive tactics attracted powerful enemies, both within and beyond its borders. Skirmishes along the RAC's borders became increasingly common, and the movement faced internal divisions and challenges. Okoye worked to strengthen the RAC's military capabilities in response, investing in cutting-edge technology and training programs to prepare her forces for the battles to come.

By the late 2050s, the RAC had become a dominant force in the region, thanks in large part to the legacy of General Amarant Okoye. As the movement prepared to enter the next phase of its history, it would face new challenges and threats that would test the limits of its ideals and the strength of its leadership.

2059-2075 - The Struggle for Stability and the Test of the RAC's Ideals

As the Reva Aztara Combine entered the 2060s, it faced the challenge of maintaining stability in the territories it had conquered while continuing to promote its core principles. General Amarant Okoye, now a prominent political figure within the RAC, focused on consolidating the movement's power and ensuring that the ideals of meritocracy, social justice, and technology-driven governance remained at the forefront of its agenda.

However, as the RAC's influence grew, so did its internal divisions. Factions within the movement began to question the extent to which the RAC's original ideals were being upheld, with some arguing that the organization had become too focused on military conquest and power accumulation. These factions called for a return to the principles of Aria Mendoza and Uriel Romano, emphasizing the importance of individual autonomy and decentralized governance.

Meanwhile, the RAC faced external threats from rival factions, including those who had been displaced by its westward expansion. As the Midwest became a patchwork of competing powers, skirmishes along the RAC's borders intensified, and the movement found itself in a precarious position. Okoye's efforts to bolster the RAC's military capabilities proved crucial in navigating this volatile landscape, but she recognized the need for diplomatic solutions as well.

In an attempt to address both internal and external challenges, Okoye initiated a series of negotiations with neighboring factions, emphasizing the RAC's commitment to social justice and its willingness to collaborate on shared goals. These negotiations led to several treaties and alliances, which helped to establish a degree of stability in the region.

At the same time, Okoye worked to address the concerns of the RAC's internal factions, implementing reforms to increase transparency and ensure that meritocratic principles were being upheld. She promoted the use of advanced AI systems to improve decision-making processes and support the efficient allocation of resources, which helped to restore confidence in the RAC's governance.

Despite these efforts, tensions within the RAC and conflicts along its borders persisted. As the movement entered the 2070s, it faced an uncertain future, marked by both its impressive accomplishments and the ongoing struggle to uphold its founding ideals. The Reva Aztara Combine would need to draw on the strength of its convictions and the ingenuity of its leaders to navigate the challenges ahead and maintain its position as a transformative force in the American Midwest.

2076-2100 - The Legacy of Okoye and the RAC's Quest for Renewal

As the RAC moved into the final decades of the 21st century, it faced the reality of a world transformed by a century of economic collapse and upheaval. The passing of General Amarant Okoye in 2080 marked the end of an era and prompted a period of introspection and recalibration within the organization.

With Okoye's death, new political figures emerged to lead the RAC, each with their own vision for the future. Among them was Amani Bello, a charismatic and pragmatic leader who rose to prominence by championing sustainable development, technological innovation, and increased cooperation with neighboring factions. Bello's vision resonated with many within the RAC, who saw her as the ideal figure to lead the movement into a new era of resilience and prosperity.

However, Bello's rise to power was not without its challenges. The RAC continued to grapple with internal divisions, and many questioned the wisdom of prioritizing economic development and cooperation over the core principles of meritocracy and social justice. Furthermore, the organization faced external threats from factions that sought to exploit its perceived vulnerability in the wake of Okoye's death.

Despite these obstacles, Bello pressed forward with her ambitious agenda, focusing on building a robust and self-sufficient economy that could withstand the challenges of the 21st century. She promoted initiatives aimed at fostering innovation, such as the establishment of new research institutions and the development of cutting-edge technologies in areas like renewable energy, agriculture, and manufacturing. These efforts helped to spur a resurgence of economic activity and growth within the RAC's territories.

However, the RAC's progress came at a cost. As it pursued its quest for economic renewal, the movement found itself increasingly reliant on trade and cooperation with factions that held divergent values and priorities. This precarious balancing act tested the RAC's commitment to its founding ideals, and many within the organization feared that it was compromising its core principles in the pursuit of short-term gains.

As the 21st century drew to a close, the Reva Aztara Combine stood at a crossroads. Having weathered a century of turmoil and transformation, the movement now faced the challenge of charting a course for the future that would preserve its founding ideals while adapting to the demands of a rapidly changing world. With a new generation of leaders at the helm, the RAC would need to draw on its rich history and the wisdom of its past to navigate the uncertainties of the 22nd century and continue its pursuit of a more just and equitable society.

Across a scarlet sea of land, our banner stands so grand,
A woven masterpiece of hope, for all to understand.
From struggles past and conquests won, its vibrant hue we glean,
The Reva Aztara Combine, on this flag, we keen.

A canton of the purest gold, a symbol of our might,
Shines brightly in the corner, a beacon in the night.
It speaks of wealth and progress, achievements we've attained,
The wealth of our collective, in unity we've gained.

At the center of the gold, a single star in black,
A symbol of resilience, a sign we won't turn back.
Through darkness and adversity, this star will guide our way,
A promise of a brighter dawn, a new and better day.

So gaze upon this emblem, this flag of red and gold,
A story of our people, and of great resolve untold.
Let no enemy survive, we say, and steel ourselves with pride,
The Reva Aztara Combine, forever side by side.

Top Bottom