The UU's

The UU's, Good Or Bad? (See below for the UU's and their civs)

• Great!

Votes: 45 30.6%
  • Reasonable.

Votes: 80 54.4%
  • Rubbish!

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Dont Give A Mongol Horde!

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Dunno.

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters

Undertaker798

I studied on killin' you!
Americans
Navy SEAL; replaces the Marine

Arabs
Camel Archer; replaces the Knight

Aztecs
Jaguar; replaces the Swordsman

China
Cho-Ku-Nu; replaces the Crossbowman

Egypt
War Chariot; replaces the Chariot

England
Redcoat; replaces the Rifleman

France
Musketeer; replaces the Musketman

Germany
Panzer; replaces the Tank

Greece
Phalanx; replaces the Spearman

Inca
Quechua; replaces the Warrior

India
Fast Worker; replaces the standard Worker

Japan
Samurai; replaces the Maceman

Mali
Skirmisher; replaces the Archer

Mongolia
Keshik; replaces the Horse Archer

Persia
Immortal; replaces the Chariot

Rome
Praetorian; replaces the Swordsman

Russia
Cossack; replaces the Cavalry

Spain
Conquistador; replaces the Knight

Good choices :king: ? Or the devil's choices :satan: ?

For a more in-depth look at the civs see: http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info/#Empires

i think they sound reasonable, altough i a not fuly uptodate on there diff in retrospect to there replaced counter-parts.

I do remember that Preatorian got a slightly higher combat value, but in my opinion it should be a little more.

And i woulda liked to see more passive units, like the Indian UU, wich i think from what i can tell now is a very strong asset.

I'd rather turn them all off. All unit types should be available to all civs, if they do the right research.

Any special unit worth having could and would be copied by others -- not immediately, perhaps, but pretty quickly on the timescale of this game.

I think they're reasonable choices, though I didn't really use UUs much in Civ3. I do look forward to using my precious chu-ko-nus in battle, however

I often choose my civ based solely on what UU I get. It can make a huge difference in the game, from a combat point of view. I perfer good early UU's like the Legionary or the Immortal or the Iroquios horse guy. You can really kick butt with a bunch of Immortals in the early part of the game. Samarai are awesome in the middle part of the game.

Undertaker798 said:
Americans
Navy SEAL; replaces the Marine

I don't think that "replaces" is the correct term to use. If you look at the American units page at civ4.com, both the Navy Seals and the Marines are represented. So it looks like you get both.

Which gets me thinking.... I wonder if previously built units now upgrade to the "normal" unit, and the UU must be built from scratch... or is there something else going on here???

I would have prefered a Minuteman for America
I would have prefered a War Elephant for India
I would have prefered a they called in Legionary for Rome

So I voted Reasonable

Looks pretty good overall, a couple things I'm unsure about though..
Does India have some sort of reputation for having especially hard-working people that I am unaware of?
Bowmen on horseback is a fairly rare thing throughout history, if I am not mistaken... I think the 'horse archer' unit should not be in the game at all, and the Mongols UU should be a 'horse archer' replacing a regular archer.
The industrial and modern ages are poorly represented... not sure how that would be remedied though, as most of the civs 'golden ages' occurred before then...

Stuie said:
I don't think that "replaces" is the correct term to use. If you look at the American units page at civ4.com, both the Navy Seals and the Marines are represented. So it looks like you get both.

Which gets me thinking.... I wonder if previously built units now upgrade to the "normal" unit, and the UU must be built from scratch... or is there something else going on here???

i didn't say replaced, i have copied and pasted this info from the Pre-Release page on Civ Fanatics.

jkp1187 said:
I guess I have to wait for Civ V for American to have the unique unit it deserves: the B-52.

In Civ V I really hope most of a Civs units are unique in some way! :)

SuperBeaverInc. said:
I would have prefered a Minuteman for America
I would have prefered a War Elephant for India
I would have prefered a they called in Legionary for Rome

So I voted Reasonable

I really like the the minuteman idea.. also a big fan of war elephants :p

I don't really see much better choices they could've come up with to be honest! I look forward to seeing them on the map, should be fun.

I like the minuteman idea too but fundamentally their success seemed to be based on their environment and the circumstances of the conflict they fought in. It would seem weird to use a mass group of minutemen to attack an enemy city.

I also think it is probably best to give the Americans a UU more representative of the time period which they were/have been the strongest, and that's in the more modern times. I don't like the idea of a SEAL unit "replacing" the regular marine, either, since that's nowhere near accurate. Hopefully that's not the case. A more modern and powerful tank might be in order, or some type of souped up air force unit. (Provided air power is actually worthwhile in this game.)

I thought England's UU was gonna be Man-o-war. Thankfully it isn't, redcoats are way better than man-o-war.

The Marines are being replaced my a Speical Operations Unit? The Marines are the main fighting force behind the US and we are replacing them with just Speical Forces? The Navy Seal should be just an upgrade for a Marine.

Top Bottom