The worst unit overall

What is the worst unit in Civ3

• Man-O-War (The reason I am not the english)

Votes: 80 34.5%
  • Explorer (I discovered the entire world centuries ago and now they give the explorer)

Votes: 152 65.5%

• Total voters
Never tried that, but it could be fun. Can't imagine sending hundreds of CMs oversee though....

200 did me fine on a huge map, plenty of settlers to get them in range then just conscript mech inf to take (now) undefended cities. The only difficult bit was planning where to build cities to accomodate the CMs unrealistically short range, but that's also what made it possible to win with units from the dogpile.

The russkis didn't like it. LOL.

Based on the info from this thread, this maybe a good strategy. Normally, I lose an average 2.5 MA's to kill a MI in a very large city. If I can just send out 3 CMs to reduce a MI to 1 life point and kill it with an MA, this may be more efficient because they are cheaper to build (not sure about the effect on war wariness). The only problem is you can't air drop CM's...

Hmmm...that's something that Firaxis should consider - being able to drop bombs. You could re-create the bombing of Nagaski and Hiroshima in WW3!

Originally posted by hbdragon88
Hmmm...that's something that Firaxis should consider - being able to drop bombs. You could re-create the bombing of Nagaski and Hiroshima in WW3!

:) WW3?!? :) (I know you know it, just joking)

But you are right though. It would be historically accurate and visually very coooool. :D

Originally posted by Hades
Based on the info from this thread, this maybe a good strategy. Normally, I lose an average 2.5 MA's to kill a MI in a very large city. If I can just send out 3 CMs to reduce a MI to 1 life point and kill it with an MA, this may be more efficient because they are cheaper to build (not sure about the effect on war wariness). The only problem is you can't air drop CM's...

Even better:

Instead of using CM use Radar artillery, which does the same damage, drop Mechs to 1 HP the attack. No waste, Elite Armors, and much more fun :p

As far as I have been able to tell the use of a CM does not count toward war weariness as say the death of a modern armor would, but then using them in vast numbers the dust has settled before the plebs get time to grumble.

Originally posted by Evincar

Even better:

Instead of using CM use Radar artillery, which does the same damage, drop Mechs to 1 HP the attack. No waste, Elite Armors, and much more fun :p

CMs have better success rate; Radar Artillers takes too long to research. CM can also kill but they can't claim the city, that's why an MA is required.

Robotics always comes too late doesn't it?

After MA, everything is pretty much useless. Sometime I would go for stealth but that depends on my enemies.

I just sent about 50 CM overseas in a recent game, finding out that you can load them in transports outside of cities (frankly the fact that you can't airlift or load them in cities I consider a severe bug and a pain in the ass).

I found this tactic pretty useful. I captured artillery and used it for defense and made CM for attack. CM don't damage city improvements which is useful for taking a city and holding it. Also, if you have a decent number of cities they can be produced in 2 turns, or 1 late in the game but that requires a good producing city or a manufacturing plant.

I'm starting to like CM more than artillery. Artillery are too weak in the modern age and it takes too long to get radar artillery.

Now, if only CM had a range longer than 2! :)

Originally posted by Hellfire
I'm starting to like CM more than artillery. Artillery are too weak in the modern age and it takes too long to get radar artillery.

Now, if only CM had a range longer than 2! :)

The disadvantage of CM is to you can only use it once. The can be a problem if you are attacking a far continent.

So then you should flag it to have "infinite bombard range" and problem solved.

Talking about Radar Artillery - is it better for defense or offensive? I am wondering whether to take 'em to the front lines or leave 'em behind in my cites.

Top Bottom