TheLopez's Mod Component Library Thread and more

The Immigration Mod interests me the most. I have several ideas but it might be a different method from what you are working on.

Blazer6 said:
The Immigration Mod interests me the most. I have several ideas but it might be a different method from what you are working on.
So what are your ideas?

with True Movement you should also have circular line of sight (like city radius).

why not just multiply by 4 the number of tiles on a map, and by 2 the movement of units? The more squares there are, the 'smoother' everything is. But then your computer would explode.

Zuul said:
I got an idea for an modcomponent:

True Movement:
*Option for 1 decimal in movement so diagonal takes x1.4 times as much.
*Option to have negative movement next turns until you get enough to continue to move on tiles with much movement cost.

For example, a warrior moving to a peak with 5 movement cost moves diagonal, and gets movement value 1-(5*1.4) = -6 (so it will take at least 6 turns before you can continue to move)

Maybe this will change the double movment on terrain/feature for units with movement 1.
I'm not sure there is a need for this added complexity. I mean, Civ 4 uses a certain level of abstruction, in part obviously because there is a limit to how much and how fast current PC's can process information, but in part because it keeps you focused on the important elements of the game. Basically, IMHO it comes down to this - doing math to figure out if you can move or not does not contribute to the fun factor. :)

I am curious about the "Roads and Lands" request, what is that (I was under the impression that these already existed in civ4 :D)?

Imdement said:
Great Mods. Curious have you thought about merging your mods together?
Three words - Great Options Mod

TheLopez could you do me a teeny tiny favor, could you please mark all the mods that use the SDK with an asterisk? I periodically check out this list to see what mod I'd like to add next but keep forgetting which ones use SDK and which don't. Thanks :)

Imdement said:
Great Mods.
Thanks.

Imdement said:
Curious have you thought about merging your mods together?

Actually, yes, I am in the process of doing this right now, it will be the core version of the Great Options Mod.

Maybe I'm blind. I just searched for the Great Options Mod and rechecked this thread and didn't see this one. If I am blind, will someone point me in the right direction?

Imdement said:
Maybe I'm blind. I just searched for the Great Options Mod and rechecked this thread and didn't see this one. If I am blind, will someone point me in the right direction?
Nope, you're not blind, the Great Options Mod is not up yet since I am still working on it.

That's great news. Will there be options to choose which mod components to use? (well, since it's called "The Great Options Mod" I assume so... just asking. :))

For most mod components yes.

Rabbit said:
I'm not sure there is a need for this added complexity. I mean, Civ 4 uses a certain level of abstruction, in part obviously because there is a limit to how much and how fast current PC's can process information, but in part because it keeps you focused on the important elements of the game. Basically, IMHO it comes down to this - doing math to figure out if you can move or not does not contribute to the fun factor. :)

Oh but I think these things make the game more fun. It's very litle to calculate, will not slow down the game with more than some milisecond. Would be fun to have slow moving units like some big gun, or stone gigant with movement 0.5 (that can only move every other turn). And I think it's strange that only city radius use circular distance.

can you take a look at this,its just one of many ideas i have but the one im most interested in seeing

ok, there has been alot of discusion about this,ive said more than my share and peolple have gotten their feathers ruffled over this.So ive not really had any desire to ask about a mod ,till now.
This is one of those 12 year old boy's ideas,well duh just let the air out of the tires.Any way its this simple ,A unit for each age should have fixed culture attached to it,this should be some type of groand unit,warrior,swordsman,maceman,musketman,etc.The big issue is getting the AI to reconize this.
If you think about it, this should resolve alot of the supply issues,and allow some of the tactics.If your pushing units to your border attempting to push the border back and the AI (this is probally going to be the big hurdle, to get the AI to understand the concept)is doing this as well,then you should end up with the nifty line of units on both sides of the border.With units requireing maintanence and needing units to push the border back there wont be the stacks of doom in the cities.furthermore if war is declared figuring out where the weak point in the chain is, will be imparative .flanking ,pinching all these tactics will come into play.I know this dosnt resolve the oil issue for mech units but it does resolve the issue of supplieing ground troops.
I just realized this cuold be done with the navy as well.pick one unit to represent a blocade unit have it have culture,move it into your enemys port city or cities and the culture from the blockade should cover your enemys access to the sea .As you advance through the ages more advanced ships would have a higher culture rating.culture rating would represent operational range.In modern times the blockade ship would be the submarine, having 5 or 6 in an ocean would effectivly give you controle of shipping in that ocean.
The same could be done with bombers giving a one time culture rating in an area that you decide land or sea provided it servives any fighters on patrole.

hi, TheLopez
2 ideas
1 - I like to see a new combat system based in the orientation of the unit. Ex: if a unit is faced to north and you attack from side or back, you should have respectivly more favorable odds.
2 - For fantazy mods - Take other unit's Body( the appropriate word:mad: )
if you defeat other unit you take the strengh and special abilities and maybe promotions, from that unit Ex: if a axeman defeats a swordamn he aquires 6 of strenght and 10% city atack.
that was great....

Portus said:
1 - I like to see a new combat system based in the orientation of the unit. Ex: if a unit is faced to north and you attack from side or back, you should have respectivly more favorable odds.
IMO that would get extremely tedious and micromanagey. You'd be forever making sure your troops were orientated right in your cities so that you could cover all angles, and on the scale the Civ 4 is, it's not even realistic.

I like the unit faceing idea. Though I see TGA's point about micro managment, I play alot of small maps where I only have 2-3 citys and not more then a few dozen units, so wouldn't be very bad for me. I agree it should only apply to units in the feild and I would add that fortified units should also be exempt from flanking and rear attacks.

Top Bottom