Then I played a game...now I'm a BELIEVER!

yturk39

Warlord
Wow. Colonization is my DREAM game. It's got a little "PIRATES!", a little "CivIV", and a few awesome things of its own.

I don't think I'll ever need to purchase another computer game AGAIN...

If I wasn't bored at work right now, I wouldn't even take the time to write this. I'd be home, founding a new nation.

Seriously, though...how long does a game at normal speed take?

I'm playing Explorer, Normal (I just installed this last week...). Is a normal game an all-day affair? I admit, while learning I've been starting and abandoning games over and over...

Marathon games? Those must last MONTHS!!!

By the way...

Newbie question: is it possible to purchase ships, or do you have to manufacture your entire fleet (except the ship you start with) in the colonies?

A normal game consists of 300 turns, but you can complete it early (and it's actually an advantage to do so since the REF {Royal Expeditionary Force} will be smaller).

It all depends on you...how much of a micro manager are you? Are you playing a speed game? (some people can win the game in less than a half hour) Are you going for a large civilization with alot of colonies or a small one?

You can buy ships from Europe or you can make them in your coastal colonies. You need to build buildings to make ships (Dock-> drydock-> shipyard). Note that the REF ships will start out stronger than yours.

Win in HALF AN HOUR?

Let me guess: this game must ALSO include a Worldbuilder feature...

So how do you purchase ships, then? I must be looking at the wrong screen. It's not in the Europe screen, is it?

European screen (F2)
left click on the word "purchase" in the top right corner
scroll down ...ships are at the bottom

Wow - I can believe a game in 30 minutes either! Otherwise I agree with windfoot that it depends on how much you micromanage your wagons. When I set up my wagon trains on automate a game with a standard map size at normal speed I would say it takes me between 10 and 16 hours of game time.

A feature you should know is that if you make a mistake (say attacking a native tribe only to find they have 60 armed warriors that end up raising 3/4 of your cities) is that you do not have to start the game completely over.

Hit escape, hit load game, find single player and expand it, click on auto, find a saved game that was right before you made the "dumb mistake" and open it. You will magically be sent back in time and you can try a different approach from there.

Seriously, though...how long does a game at normal speed take?

It depends on map size and how much time you want to spend developing your colonies before you declare independence. I play on very large maps and build about ten colonies on average so my games take around 30 - 45 hours game time.

Okay...I'm getting the hang of it now. Trying to play the game without the European Screen "Purchase" button was like playing with one hand tied behind my back!

I can definitely see these games lasting a long, long time. I'm a micromanagement FIEND!!!

I shuffle goods between wagons, turn people into pioneers to move tools around, turn them back into colonists once the excess tools have been put into wagons, use my Seasoned Scout's horses to shuttle colonists from one settlement to the next (by turning them into "Scouts"), time my trades with natives and Europe to coincide so I can get the biggest chunk of money that I can then use to A) purchase native land or B) purchase something that I need from Europe, etc.

I honestly can't get enough of this game!!!

I finally got around to playing a couple months ago. I thought this game was micromanagement hell. And absolutely no one tried to attack me, so I could play without any soldiers or protection at all until I was ready to declare independence. I expected a lot more conflict. And too many concepts are overpowered, like visiting native tribes first or certain founding fathers.

TAC is good, Port Royal + East Indies, Medieval Conquests, Colonization 2071..

Yo, im just waiting for Rhyes of Colonization and Colonization of Erebus. As the age of ice melts, native civ's who survived the frost are now being encroached by those who fled the ice. Oh yes....

but no. it wont happen.

edit - dont worry about europeans, those silly people will just swallow all the land.

but the early natives... man... they will go effing crazy on you. best to get that vet soldier and stockade ASAP. might even be worth reloading if you dont have vet scout or soldier in queue. Soldier buys you time to not be afraid - Scout lets you meet natives on better terms.

Top Bottom