Things tried in MP, working/not working

Just as a reminder, I'll post here some things I've tried during the game in multiplayer that I didn't expect to work, or that are not working.

• I've tried a Great Diplomat to force peace on another civ, it doesn't work, it throws the game OOS, both when applying to humans and AI. I was at peace but the other player still sees me at war.
  • I've tried to switch to another leader during a revolution when askedi if I wanted to; game flawlessy handed control of my civ to AI. It's supposed to be 16 turns on Blitz which is a lot (rev1042), I'll shorten that to 5-6 turns because 16 on Blitz means 128 turns of autoplay on Eternity, definitely too much (it will still be 40 turns after my proposed change).I still don't know if I gain back control of my civ after those 16 turns because the game is still going. Update will follow got control back after 16 turns, but game keeps going oos and we had to abandon. Not sure those OOS are related to my choice anyway.
  • "Defect and lead the rebel army" should work, but I haven't tried recently. I'll try again sooner or later.
  • Granting indipendence works
  • Planting a resource from a captured animal works
  • Declaring war by simply invading another civ's territory might cause OOS, not sure anyway, maybe it happened when declaring war and capturing a worker in the same turn
  • MegaCivPack works.
  • Adding a unit on top of the building queue seems to throw the game OOS on some occasion, rev1043. It might be connected with some units/buildings being left behind and slowly decading in production (showed with a "!" in building queue) or with units being built causing happiness in an unhappy city (with Monarchy for example). Being at war might also be a factor for this particular problem so my advice is to avoid adding a unit on top the building queue if possible. A partial workaround might be to add it to the bottom of the queue, delete every queued item but the first and then re-add your deleted items after your newly added unit. It might work, but we're still testing.
More will follow.

Last edited:
  • I've tried to switch to another leader during a revolution when askedi if I wanted to; game flawlessy handed control of my civ to AI. It's supposed to be 16 turns on Blitz which is a lot (rev1042), I'll shorten that to 5-6 turns because 16 on Blitz means 128 turns of autoplay on Eternity, definitely too much (it will still be 40 turns after my proposed change).I still don't know if I gain back control of my civ after those 16 turns because the game is still going. Update will follow got control back after 16 turns, but game keeps going oos and we had to abandon. Not sure those OOS are related to my choice anyway.
Tried again in a new game: this time when I got again in control of my civ, no OOS and we've been able to play on without problems. AI control should have lasted 8 turns (blitz gamespeed), or so I was told by the message. Actually my internet connection dropped so we disconnected and reloaded the game during a turn when my civ was under AI control. The next turn I was again in control of my civ, although if I'm not mistaken 8 turns weren't passed yet. I'm not sure if the message I got at the beginning of the revolution was wrong or if saving/reloading while my civ was under AI control interrupted somehow its control giving it back to me. Anyway in this brand new game, 100 turns on blitz speed and no OOS yet.

Last edited:
Happened again a few turns later: I had to let another leader take control of my civ for 8 turns. It went OOS once, probably for some other reason not connected to AI controlling my civ.Then after 8 turns I got my civ back and played on. 1-2 OOS in 147 turns so far.

Finishing a game throws the game OOS when the final score is displayed. I don't think it's a big issue at that point.

• Building and launching a Spaceship doesn't cause OOS;
  • Building the Ascension Gate doesn't cause OOS;
  • Building Eden Project doesn't cause OOS;

Edit: In another game I've finished there's been no OOS at the last turn. We could have simply played on without issues.

Last edited:
Some more things I've noticed they work / don't work (mostly):

• Paying War Reparations has thrown the game OOS, but I've only tried once
  • Accepting a civ joining your civilization because they feel too small worked, provided that one player accepts and other players refuse of course. In this case the problem is that all players get asked the question if they want to accept that civ's cities into their civilization. As a house rule, you can decide before starting a game that should this problem arise, only the closest player to the surrending civ can accept (or the one more friendly to the surrending civ).
  • New Movement Limits option works with and without Terrain Damage, no OOS.

Last edited:
  • One of my cities was attacked by a huge stack of rebel units so the fight went on for a couple of minutes after my turn started. In the meantime, I've been able to use some of my bombers to bomb the attacking stack, hence reducing its force. In theory I shouldn't have because my moves overlapped those of the AI which was still playing its previous turn. So it's kind of cheating. But it worked, and no OOS.
  • Some air missions which I never used in mp caused no troubles, for example "port airbomb". I've been able to sink some enemy ships in port without OOS.
  • Paying rebels caused no OOS and most World Wonders caused no OOS either.
I'll keep the list going so I can have a place where I can check if something specifici is causing troubles, for future reference

Top Bottom