thinking about buying...

rayrox222

Chieftain
But first, some questions.

I'm a big fan of the 90s original. I like the idea of multiplayer options, but was wondering how a cooperative campaign works, if two players control the same faction. Does this mean you can move units, give build orders, engage in diplomacy against the other player's wishes? I can understand diplomacy being tied up as two represent the same faction, but I don't get how unit movement would work. Does each player start off with his own ship and colonists, and as he builds, trades, recruits, etc., he has control over his own forces, or is everything simply shared in a cooperative campaign?

Second thing I was wondering about... Trade with natives. The original game had a tedious way of the chief telling you what resources they valued in that settlement, and you had to either take notes or have a great memory as to which camp desired what resources at all times. Is the UI more user friendly in civ 4 colonization for matters of trade like this?

Thanks for clarifying some details. I'm tempted to get this game to play with a friend whom I can't convince to play total war games with me. But I have a thirst for strategy, love gaming with friends, and civilation is a series I'd like to play again; especially the colonization remake because I enjoyed the original so much

About the mp part of the game I can't tell you anything.

Regarding the natives: for each native village their most desired good is displayed on the map. Except for this they will buy "trade goods" (you get them in Europe) and "finished goods" like coats, cigars, rum and so on.

If you will buy the game, I strongly advise you to get some mods as unfortunately the vanilla version of the game is just mediocre.
For starting, a mod like TAC seems to be a good idea as it is quite well balanced and has good documentation of the game features and how to install it. In total, it is quite an improvement over the vanilla version of the game.

About the mp part of the game I can't tell you anything.

Regarding the natives: for each native village their most desired good is displayed on the map. Except for this they will buy "trade goods" (you get them in Europe) and "finished goods" like coats, cigars, rum and so on.

If you will buy the game, I strongly advise you to get some mods as unfortunately the vanilla version of the game is just mediocre.
For starting, a mod like TAC seems to be a good idea as it is quite well balanced and has good documentation of the game features and how to install it. In total, it is quite an improvement over the vanilla version of the game.

Thanks for your input! Steam actually had an amazing promotional this past weekend giving a free copy of civ 5 for a preorder of xcom so I went for that and have been very happy with the latest civ :)

I am enjoying the new civ more than I thought I would. I figured the scope would have been too broad being able to span from prehistoric to the future up to 2050 ad but there are a ton of settings you can tweak to narrow the scope of what era you play in and I've already gotten into a fun campaign with a friend. Good stuff! Guess I'll have to switch forums now heehee but I may revisit the latest colonization another day. Love seeing price drops on video games over time ;)

Top Bottom