this game is impossibly annoying

jimbbq

Chieftain
alright, i have the best technology and i try building the army (combination of 3 units) of tank, mustang, artillery, B17 what got you) and I can NEVER defeat the bloody Rifleman in the enemy city!!!!!! I keep losing all my units and i am really at my wit's end. any idea what is wrong??? is it some bug??

When the enemy has riflemen, I will bring several Tank armies, a fleet of the best ships I can build (Cruisers or Battleships) if coastal, Artillery, Bombers, etc. A massive force. I try to use Infiltration (Ninja) promoted units when possible. A Battleship Fleet adjacent to the city is tremendously helpful - so much so that I hate taking land-bound cities, anymore. ;) A Great General along for the ride, helps as well.

I will usually start by sending Bomber Wings against the city, followed by modern Artillery (Ninja, if possible), followed by Ninja Tank armies, followed by non-Ninja tank armies. I often lose a few units, but rarely the Ninja armies. I pay attention to what is left in the city, so when I start to see Pikemen and Archers defending, I may bring up some leftover Knight armies to deliver the coup de gras.

but i am just playing at the 2nd level of difficulty! it shouldn't be that hard, it is just rifleman for Sie Meier's sake!

Your units should all be veterans at least, that's an easy +50%. If you have a Great Leader and a barracks, you should be able to add Infiltration (+100%) to at least some of them. Bring along any Great Generals - even if you won't be attacking with those units. Units with the Scout upgrade or any galley or galleon crews will let you see what kind of trouble you're getting yourself into. Use spy rings to defeat enemy spies, then spies to at least destroy the fortifications. Also sink any enemy naval units. Cut off any roads to block them from resupplying. Bomber wings are great to soften up a city, but expect to lose them if the enemy has fighters.

But, it's very possible that you will be at a disadvantage. Then the only choice is to attack in force and attack with your strongest units first. You will lose some units. But each attack will leave the defenders weaker and you will wear them out.

Finally, don't forget to bring along some defensive units - both to defend the city after you take it and to protect your attackers from counter-attacks.

alright, i have the best technology and i try building the army (combination of 3 units) of tank, mustang, artillery, B17 what got you) and I can NEVER defeat the bloody Rifleman in the enemy city!!!!!! I keep losing all my units and i am really at my wit's end. any idea what is wrong??? is it some bug??

maybe it's a dumb question, but you aren't actually trying to form an army of 3 different unit types to make an army, are you?? You need to have three tanks to form an army, 3 fighters (which aren't that strong, bombers can take down riflmen, not usually fighters), and 3 artillery to form an artillery army.

A tank army will usually beat riflemen armies, but it can be 50/50 odds. Artillery armies should beat the riflmen armies, but if the art army is non-vet and the riflemen army is vet w/ upgrades, I can see it winning.

naval support is useful, as is overwhelming them w/ lots of armies (unless you're facing the Aztecs, who auto-heal). Getting a barracks shouldn't be difficult in the modern era, and should be used to make your units vet. Otherwise, go for bombers.

If you are playing on Warlord like you said, then you should actually be getting a little boost to your attack as well, +50%, so you shouldn't be having problems.

Either you are not actually forming armies, or you are not sending enough armies their way.

If you are still having problems, post them specifics of what you are trying to beat and we'll help you take 'em down.

Build spies and send them in to disrupt the defenses before you attack. If the enemy has a spy in there on defense already (unlikely on warlord) then combine 3 spies into a ring before you send them in.

Attacking with best units first is dumb. Should I explain why?

If they win, they get upgrade and can heal once.

You should 90% of the times attack with worse units first to damage enemies, so if you get lucky and win, YOU get the UPGRADE, otherwise you do damage and enemies get only 1 exp. Then, when they are wounded you will attack with best units and you could overrun them with the right support.

Attacking with best units first is dumb. Should I explain why?

If they win, they get upgrade and can heal once.

You should 90% of the times attack with worse units first to damage enemies, so if you get lucky and win, YOU get the UPGRADE, otherwise you do damage and enemies get only 1 exp. Then, when they are wounded you will attack with best units and you could overrun them with the right support.
Hmm, you make a good point. However, I'd argue that attacking with your best units first is a good idea if the odds are 2:1 or better. Then you have a good chance of eliminating the defender and can use your lesser units to eliminate the next best defender.

If the odds are closer to even then I can see the situation you describe occurring - you lose and the defender gets the upgrade. However, the problem I see with using lesser units to wear down a strong defender is your attacker has to do enough damage to the defending army that it doesn't auto heal (i.e. armies which have lost less than half of the units are still at full strength after the battle). So unless your attacking unit has the capability of taking the defender down to almost nothing, it's just a waste.

Hmm... Of course, this assumes you have a scout to show you what you're up against. The alternative is attacking the city with a sacrificial warrior - the first defender is usually the best defense. (Although I've seen times when the elite pikeman takes the first round instead of the riflemen.)

spies are a unique case where they often win unfavorable odds. Usually, spy rings are not a good idea if you are trying to spy ravage an opponet.

But, if we are talking about multiple armies attacking an enemy city, then Morte is right, the weaker of your attacking armies is often the right call, because they can wound the enemy with the weaker army, and then win with the stronger one, and not have to worry about you stronger army healing as frequently.

Often this question comes into play when you are trying to overwhelm your enemy, but none of your attacking units have a higher attack power than your enemy's defensive army has in defensive power. For example, if you have 3 legion armies attacking an archer army, with one of your legion armies being vet or having upgrades, then there's no point to waste your best legions first. Attack with the weaker ones and try for a wound. Then decide if it's best to attack with your upgraded legions.

ericball has a point, though. If the odds are considerably in your favor, then it really doesn't matter, and often the higher power army will make quick work of your enemy's defenses. This is only for attacking units knights and below. Tanks auto-heal, so it's less of a risk, but still makes sense if the enemy has for example, modern infantry, then it'd probalby be best to try to wound them. But, if you the odds are highly in your favor, the risk is less, and you can attack with whichever you feel like.

The last few posts all raise valid points.

If I am doing some late-game warring, and I feel reasonably sure that the strongest defender my enemy has is Riflemen, I will anchor a fleet of Cruisers (or better yet, Battleships) offshore, and roll up with Ninja Tank Armies to start. If I have any Ranger units available, I will frequently start with a *simulated* attack: I will "attack" with the Ranger unit, see what I'm up against, then cancel the actual attack, and use whatever else I have in my force as I see appropriate. But a Ninja Tank Army is hard to stop with anything short of Modern Infantry.

If the situation is close enough that some (possibly serious) losses are expected, wear the enemy down using the less valuable units, first. Of course, "don't bring a pocketknife to a gunfight", either. Use units that you can reasonably expect to cause at least *some* damage to your opponent.

Padma: Thank you for the tip! I've been using your method and it's helped me through some rough situations. Appreciate it! :)

I was playing a game last night and I kept MorteEterna's advice in mind as I besieged Moscow with a battalion of knight armies. Since I had scouts I could see that Catherin'es riflemen were nearly equal to my knights with infiltration. Effectively even odds, but if I lost I'd be facing an even more powerful defense. So instead I attacked with veteran knights - worse odds, but no chance for them to get bonus advancements. Although the veteran knights lost, they dropped the defenders down so they were at 2:1 odds against my ninja knights - who beat them handily and took the city.

One thing this highlights is the necessity to attack with a large number of units - you will lose some since you will be attacking at less than even odds. You also need scouts (e.g. galley & galleon crews) so you can plan your attacks. Although I didn't do it in this case I can see the value in backing off the naval support to drop your attack below even odds.

Top Bottom