This game rocks

dalgo

Emperor
I started playing Col2 the day it came out and it still has the power to keep me saying ‘just one more turn’ into the early hours of the morning. I especially like the varied gameplay, essentially Exploration, Colony Management, Trade and Combat.

In my latest game I played at Revolutionary level as the Dutch on a giant XL map of 60x96 tiles which is 2½ times as big as the standard ‘huge’ map. It took over 100 turns for my four scouts to explore the entire map and visit all 85 Indian villages. For more details see this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=304694

I built up my settlement to eventually comprise 12 colonies producing cloth, cigars, rum, coats, tools, guns and horses. I traded heavily with the Indian tribes as well as exporting finished goods to Europe. And when the time came for combat I progressively captured all the other European colonies on the map.

A feature of Colonization is the Founding Fathers system, and by creating liberty bells from the start I was able to get 38 out of 52 in this game including all the most important ones. Consequently when the 500 strong REF arrived I was easily able to defeat them and in fact only lost 15 ground units in the entire campaign. I won the game on turn 200.

Now I have also played the original game of Colonization extensively and like most other players am disappointed that many of the best features of that game did not make it into the remake. I have a lot of issues with the game balance too but I can’t play a game that isn’t here. What has been delivered though is still a quality game and it certainly keeps me up way past my bedtime. For me at least this game rocks.

Agreed, I'm loving this game. :D

good to hear some positivity for a change eh :D !

It's a lot easier for most people to criticize than compliment.
The game (and especially Dale's AOD II) are eminently playable and fun. :D

I love the new game also.

I still like the old colonization as well.

Glad to see there is a thread started about what is positive about the game!

I agree--it's good to see something positive posted about it for a change. Despite its flaws, the game is still enjoyable. The mods by Dale and others have made it even more so.

I like the game too. In fact, I got the game on New Years Day and just got my 1st Independence win last night. I won in 1778 with only 1 soldier & 2 dragoons left. My wife was bugging me to come to bed, just as I was preparing to attack the fortifications of Quebec (at 100% defense) with 2 soldiers & 4 dragoons. So, I said what the heck & attacked the defenders (who had 6 units) and won the battle easily! I was happy, my wife was happy and all was well in colonial France.

Top Bottom