Thoughts on the port to Civ 5

I started out adressing the potential problems there may be with making any kind of similar FfH mod for ciV (and the port of FfH to ciV IS the topic of this thread - like it or not).

It is hardly my fault that trying to point out some of these potential problems have resulted in trolls and Firaxis fanboys coming out of the woodworks with guns blazing and launching rabid attacks that for the most part is totally off the topic of this thread. Of course I could just ignore them and not respond at all, but then I guess it is just not in my nature to stay silently when faced with unreasonably behaviour like that.

Firaxis may or may not listen to their fanbase, but one thing is guaranteed and that is that if everyone just keep quiet like you seem to want to enforce then they ceretainly wont hear - let alone react to - any concerns any of us might have.

Do you also wait going to the dentist until after an aching tooth has turned black - or even fallen out of your mouth altogether?

MY point being that we need to speak up while there is still time to catch and correct potential flaws/problems - and not wait until it is too late to do anything about them.

No, but I also don't go to the dentist when I have a feeling that I might have a toothache a few months from now. ;)

My point is that it is not our job to speak up, as we do not have access to all of the information needed. Most games have testers, I'm sure Civ5 is no different. Leave it to them for now. ;)

Like I said, as a developer I frankly would not pay much attention to the opinions of people who do not have access to the full design, and have not been able to play with it. A game of this nature needs to be considered as a whole, you can't nitpick individual features when you do not know how those features work with other, unannounced features.

It is called experience coupled with the ability to envisage how all the known bits are likely to work together.

Firaxis are not omniscient gods you know and they have produced this problem before. All previous civ versions (1-3) had mechanisms that allowed for blocking other players units and all of them even allowed for stacking of your own units, but the problem was still there and was widely abused (AI stupidity, accidents and/or malicious intent).

So yes I think it is quite possible that the Firaxis dev team have not thought all of the implications of the currently revealed core system through to the point of realizing this.

Again, the issue is you know of just a few random bits. It's like the Blind Men and the Elephant. Your opinions frankly do not matter at this point, as it's too late for major changes (only a few months till release, remember?) and you are unaware of how all the mechanics work together.

Either hope they learned their lesson in past games, or be cynical about it. Those are your two options here. ;)

The problem I have been trying to make you see is not about your OWN units, but the fact that you can block OTHER players units - including friendly ones - with the current "only 1 unit per tile/plot" mechanism.

To be honest, any minor negative is massively outweighed by the positive here. The whole point of hexes and 1upt is to allow for effect blockading and introduce true strategy.

Those seem to be the exact parts you are complaining about, so frankly, it looks like you will dislike the game. Get over it. :goodjob:

It isn't all that hard to come up with far better solutions to the SoD problem than by using one that reintroduce old mobility problems, adds to micromanagement and effectively reduce the freedom of modders.

1upt does not just solve the SoD problem. It brings Strategy. If that's something you dislike, by all means, mod it out; They're advertising unprecedented tools, so I'm sure it will be possible.

I never said anything about the EXE, although I wouldn't rule it out.

What I tried to imply by saying "SEMI-hardcoded" was that the amount of work that will be required to rewire/mod the game to use a "multiple units per tile/plot" - that the AI can understand and handle properly - would probably be so massive that it might as well be hardcoded. There is certainly no way any casual modder would be able to accomplish this.

However, were they to include fully developed support for "multiple units per tile/plot" accessible to modders out-of-the-box then I wouldn't have any problem with them using the "only 1 unit per tile/plot" mechanism in the vanilla game.

Of course it will require work. Anything that extensive requires AI work. Look at the spell system in FfH.

There are enough competent modders that should one decide to remove that, they will be able to. Granted, it's not a mechanic I'd ever be inclined to remove, but I can't speak for others. ;)

As for allowing support for both... Unless that's covered by the AI being able to use civilians/military/air units together, I doubt it will happen. That is a LOT of work, and a LOT of code, for something that is unused by the game. Not a good business practice at all, honestly.

Where did you hear/read this? All the reports I have seen are clearly stating "only 1 unit per tile/plot" with no further distinctions. And even if it is true then this in itself still wont do anything to solve the main problem of blockage abuse that comes with this mechanism.

Ah, now it seems you aren't keeping up enough. :p

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=355156

First line under Unit Behavior.

Again, blockading is one of the uses that was advertised for the feature. Just because you dislike it, does not make it a problem. And we still don't know exactly how it will play out.

I still don't accept that you necessarily have to exclude the enhancement of old features in order to include new ones. There is plenty of room for both new and old alike.

I have to admit that this almost religious adherance to the 3x 1/3 rule is starting to annoy me a bit.

Did I ever say you have to?

I said that Espionage and Corporations both suck (badly). So they decided to drop the feature rather than refine it, apparently. So what? Not good features, and they've apparently come up with something better... I'm excited to see what these "City States" are.

As for Religion... Like I said, the released info lists enhanced diplomacy as one of the design points. Religion in civ4 affects diplomacy in a way they apparently didn't like, so they removed it. It played a negligible role in Civ4 anyway; It only became interesting in mods.

Lucky you then, but personally I'd rather that they had shown some innovative skills and come up with ways to improve these features rather than just tossing them aside in resignation.

Of course there are always the expansions ... ;)

Both of those mechanics unbalanced economies, were difficult for the AI to understand, and could have been accomplished far more elegantly in different ways.

Espionage honestly would have been better as a simple unit. No points, no nothing. Just a spy unit able to carry out certain actions.

Corporations I just flat out dislike for Civ. The only good way I've thought of to adapt them to FfH wouldn't work in standard civ either.

Feel free to list your own ideas there, but honestly I don't think either mechanic was worth time fixing when they could instead focus on much better things. Let's wait and see what comes of that time.

Its April. The release is for September if I remember correctly. Firaxis playtests as it develops. The features have obviously passed a lot of scrutiny already and the game will be in a fairly late beta stage. They're not going to do huge changes to the design now.

You're already too late but thats fine because you have absolutely no evidence that theres a problem. You go to the dentist when pathological symptoms present themselves. Currently we don't have any here or reasonable cause to think they'll appear.

So you're in a standoff where its your words and baseless assumptions vs. Firaxis word and track record. You're not going to win that one.

But I imagine you enjoy trying to cast yourself as the "lone voice of dissent", right? If you're wrong you get a good game, if you turn out to be right (which would be sheerly accidental as you've no evidence) you can say "I told you so".

:goodjob:

For Chrissakes CC, accept the fact the Firaxis is not going to listen to you, that they are doing the best they can with the resources they have, and most importantly it is their game. Firaxis will make the game they want to make, and if you don't like it, you have many options; from not buying it to modding to forming your own game company and making the game you want to see.

If you really want to make this argument, go troll in the Civ V forum and stop hijacking this thread!

(Yeah, I know, its troll food, but I couldn't hold back any longer...)

:goodjob:

I started out addressing the potential problems there may be with making any kind of similar FfH mod for ciV (and the port of FfH to ciV IS the topic of this thread - like it or not).

It is hardly my fault that trying to point out some of these potential problems have resulted in trolls and Firaxis fanboys coming out of the woodworks with guns blazing and launching rabid attacks that for the most part is totally off the topic of this thread. Of course I could just ignore them and not respond at all, but then I guess it is just not in my nature to stay silently when faced with unreasonable behavior like that.

Firaxis may or may not listen to their fanbase, but one thing is guaranteed and that is that if everyone just keep quiet like you seem to want to enforce then they certainly wont hear - let alone react to - any concerns any of us might have.

Honestly, I wouldn't call myself a 'Firaxis Fanboy' at all. I tried to make the point that we do not, and can not know how the announced features play together as we are unaware of what has been left unannounced.

On the other hand, I share the same opinion about you, so apparently we are even. :goodjob:

I'm sure Firaxis does listen to the fanbase. But the time for that is long past. The game is set to be released in just a few months... At this point I'm sure they are scrambling to finish. The time for any redesign has long since passed.

whilst I'm pretty sure that Civ5 is gonna be way better than civ4, I'm with cyberchrist on this one. you guys seem to be putting way too much faith in the fact that fireaxis know what they are doing. but game designers somehow always manage to miss incredibly obvious things, so I wouldn't be that certain that everything is going to be OK ;)

you may not be fanboys, but reading your posts does kinda give that impression :p

so in the end it's optimists vs pessimists it seems :lol:

[to_xp]Gekko;9119693 said:
whilst I'm pretty sure that Civ5 is gonna be way better than civ4, I'm with cyberchrist on this one. you guys seem to be putting way too much faith in the fact that fireaxis know what they are doing. but game designers somehow always manage to miss incredibly obvious things, so I wouldn't be that certain that everything is going to be OK ;)

you may not be fanboys, but reading your posts does kinda give that impression :p

so in the end it's optimists vs pessimists it seems :lol:

Well, I don't think I ever said I was sure there would be no mistakes or issues. My point was that we are not the people to raise those issues yet; We don't have the full game. Leave it to the testers and the designers for now, our time will come when the patches start. ;)

yeah, I don't really like doing that. I HATE that it takes years for a game to be fully patched. that's a ripoff for me. what would you do if you bought a car and it had issues? you would get really angry and demand them to take their faulty product back and give you your money. but for some weird reason that doesn't apply to videogames, which is wrong. I pay for the game, I want it to work as advertised, no ifs and ors. I'm not a beta tester, THEY should pay beta testers to do that. instead I pay for offering them a service? that doesn't sound right. I'm glad doing it when it's a mod some good fella is doing in their free time, but a commercial product, NOT acceptable. it's what micro$oft did with windows Vista, and everyone was pissed off at that. yet when it's about videogames, it's all cool. :\

[to_xp]Gekko;9119737 said:
yeah, I don't really like doing that. I HATE that it takes years for a game to be fully patched. that's a ripoff for me. what would you do if you bought a car and it had issues? you would get really angry and demand them to take their faulty product back and give you your money. but for some weird reason that doesn't apply to videogames, which is wrong. I pay for the game, I want it to work as advertised, no ifs and ors. I'm not a beta tester, THEY should pay beta testers to do that. instead I pay for offering them a service? that doesn't sound right. I'm glad doing it when it's a mod some good fella is doing in their free time, but a commercial product, NOT acceptable. it's what micro$oft did with windows Vista, and everyone was pissed off at that. yet when it's about videogames, it's all cool. :\

I think that is a rather poor analogy, personally.

With games, the vast amount of testing required basically leaves you with two options..

1. Test as well as you can, but recognize patches are a necessity as it is impossible to beta test EVERYTHING.
  2. Test everything, no matter how long it takes. Delay release several years (Starcraft 2), fade into nothingness (Duke Nukem).
The features they are advertising should work as advertised. Patches correct AI oversights and other bugs... You will never get all of them in a code base that large.

Well to be fair, its what Microsoft, Apple, IBM, and every other software company does and has done for the last 20 years. The car analogy is flawed, because (at least with PCs) it is more akin to buying a carburetor and expecting it to fit in the engine you have - some engines are store-bought, some are hand-made, some are bio-diesel and are emulating a gas engine, and the carburetor manufacturer is expected to produce a product that works on all of them. They can only test so many engine configurations before they release a product.

As for my expectations of Civ V, I am glad they are experimenting and trying new things. Will it work? Probably - Sid has a good track record and obviously cares a lot about his franchises. Will it please everyone? Of course not. Will FfH 3 look or play anything like FfH 2? I certainly hope not - other then the AI FfH is done, and adding anything more risks toppling the tree and ruining christmas.

Well to be fair, its what Microsoft, Apple, IBM, and every other software company does and has done for the last 20 years. The car analogy is flawed, because (at least with PCs) it is more akin to buying a carburetor and expecting it to fit in the engine you have - some engines are store-bought, some are hand-made, some are bio-diesel and are emulating a gas engine, and the carburetor manufacturer is expected to produce a product that works on all of them. They can only test so many engine configurations before they release a product.

As for my expectations of Civ V, I am glad they are experimenting and trying new things. Will it work? Probably - Sid has a good track record and obviously cares a lot about his franchises. Will it please everyone? Of course not. Will FfH 3 look or play anything like FfH 2? I certainly hope not - other then the AI FfH is done, and adding anything more risks toppling the tree and ruining christmas.

Better analogy, yes. :goodjob:

As for your last question... I think the better question is "Will there be an FfH3?". I'm not sure there will be.

Meh. That's what this thread is (supposedly) about, so I'm going on the assumption that someone will make it. Maybe I'll help. I like the idea of continuing the story beyond Mulcarn and Agares, to the rise of technology and the clashes between the old and new guard. (kind of like the last two pages of this thread, come to think of it :lol: )

too much complacency towards developers. you treat them as nice guys, but they are a company. they just want your money, as quickly and easily as possible ;)

all I say is, at least make them work hard for it :lol:

Meh. That's what this thread is (supposedly) about, so I'm going on the assumption that someone will make it. Maybe I'll help. I like the idea of continuing the story beyond Mulcarn and Agares, to the rise of technology and the clashes between the old and new guard. (kind of like the last two pages of this thread, come to think of it :lol: )

Yes, it would be an interesting setting... But I don't see it happening without Kael. Otherwise, it's just not FfH. And given the fact the recent announcement of the standalone game... I just don't see it happening.

I know I won't be taking part, at least. The RifE team has our own ideas. Of which I am not at liberty to speak, other than to say that we have them. :lol:

[to_xp]Gekko;9119825 said:
too much complacency towards developers. you treat them as nice guys, but they are a company. they just want your money, as quickly and easily as possible ;)

I agree. Firaxis just happens to be one of a handful of developers that I'm willing to believe ARE working hard. ;)

[to_xp]Gekko;9119825 said:

Well, I have talked to a lot of them and they generally are nice guys.

There are 'standards' in any product that the market accepts, good, bad indifferent. The critical issue is that if software HAD to be bug-free, how much more would it cost? Would a game cost triple and it would take three times as long, because 95% just isn't good enough?

In some fields, like cars, yes, you have to have a better track record. With some others, it has to be even higher. For example, pacemakers have to be close to 100%, as do refrigerators. But for games, many people feel that it isn't cost effective to produce everything perfect the first go-around.

Remember that a lot of software is by its nature a 'new' product where accuracy rates drop. Refrigerators do upgrade technology but they have been around a very long time.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Console games traditionally have very few bugs, so it's certainly possible to release games that are essentially bug-free in a reasonable time frame. PC games have this problem because developers skimp on testing so they can release the game earlier, in full knowledge that they can patch it up later.

well I did say something wrong in that post. I didn't distinguish between developers and publishers. developers are usually nice guys, and I'm sure fireaxis are as well. the problem lies with the publishers, who as soon as they see the product reasonably close to being finished hurry it out before it's complete. damn you, publishers! :shakes fist in anger:

:lol:

Console games traditionally have very few bugs, so it's certainly possible to release games that are essentially bug-free in a reasonable time frame. PC games have this problem because developers skimp on testing so they can release the game earlier, in full knowledge that they can patch it up later.

False.

I'm sorry, but this is a huge falsehood that is perpetuated a LOT in the gaming fandom.

Here's what I learned working as a tester. I worked for Volition Inc, which was fantastic. Great workplace ethic, used in house testers despite added costs in order to increase turnaround, etc etc.

When we were developing Saints Row for the XBox, at the peak we had maybe 50 testers total. This meant that during crunch time [the months immediately prior to a game going gold] we had 50 people working about 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. Mathwise, this meant we could test about 16800 hours worth of stuff. This was with a feature locked game, just trying to hunt down all the stupid stuff one could do to break it.

Saints Row sold around 250k copies in the first week [eventually topping a million sold]. If each player only did one hour, that works out to 14 times the amount of testing hours. Surprise! People found out even more ways to break the game that first week than we had over the last three months. This despite the fact that Volition paid us decent wages, adding a significant chunk of change to their overhead on the game.

---

The real reason games seem more buggy for PC than consoles is that consoles are closed platforms. When you figure out how to do something once, you can repeat that lesson in every subsequent game. With hardware changing non-stop for the PC, this is not an option.

The real reason games need to be patched more today than in earlier times is that games are more complex. Companies that released flawed projects willingly pay the price [see Gothic 3]. If you think that ciV has fewer lines of code than say, King's Quest one, i have some wonderful derivatives to sell you.

Interesting discussion about analogies :)

I would point out one thing: patches are not always "fixes", they could also perform a role of "upgrades"

The whole post is just a bunch of empty apologetics.

Are you seriously arguing against the following:

1. That if more time was spent testing a game before release, the number of bugs in the release version would be reduced.

2. That if it was not practical to issue patches after release, more time would have to be spent testing the game before releasing it.

These are hard truths, as far as I'm concerned. I don't see how you can logically argue your way out of them.

The reason no one is spending an extra six months (or however long it takes) to make sure they've squashed every last bug before releasing is that it isn't economically viable. Provided the game isn't fundamentally broken in some way, releasing earlier and then patching makes much more sense from a business point of view. I know that, you know that, and I'd even go as far as to call it stating the obvious. So why the need for all these excuses?

The whole post is just a bunch of empty apologetics.

Are you seriously arguing against the following:

1. That if more time was spent testing a game before release, the number of bugs in the release version would be reduced.

2. That if it was not practical to issue patches after release, more time would have to be spent testing the game before releasing it.

These are hard truths, as far as I'm concerned. I don't see how you can logically argue your way out of them.

The reason no one is spending an extra six months (or however long it takes) to make sure they've squashed every last bug before releasing is that it isn't economically viable. Provided the game isn't fundamentally broken in some way, releasing earlier and then patching makes much more sense from a business point of view. I know that, you know that, and I'd even go as far as to call it stating the obvious. So why the need for all these excuses?

And you know why it isn't economically viable?

The complexity of modern games. That's it. That's the entire reason.

The code base is so large at this point, that it is physically impossible for a small group of testers to catch all the bugs in anything like a reasonable amount of time. During which, the company is paying large salaries to the testers. Give them another 6 months, triple the number of testers, it simply does not matter. The ratio of players to testers is so large that players can and will find more issues in a week or two than the testers can in a year. Sad, but it's a fact.

There are two ways to deal with it:

1. Lots of testers, lots of time.
  2. Open Beta, lots of time.
Either way, the company will make no money from the game (which can take years to develop), and in the first case will be PAYING a large chunk of money to testers.

Thanks Val, that about sums up what I would restate. Modern games are too complex to catch every bug, so you do your best and bless the internet for letting us patch games after release.

Coincidentally, I now work for the US Army, where we get to actually demand bug-free software. Guess how often that happens, with huge financial penalties in place?

[hint: never]

PS: My comment was intend to respond to the statement that all companies simply rush unfinished products out the door knowing they contained bugs. While this does occur, my point was that *most* of the time its due to factors explained in my post. Statistically, you will never catch all the bugs prior to release because you do not have enough people doing enough strange things to break it.

Probably not. Instead, you would likely have never seen any of the real improvements in terms of graphics and game design from the last ten years. If you had to release the game picture perfect, you would have bad companies still dumping buggy products on purpose, and good companies would be unable to make leaps forward in design because they could not release your perfect game with them.

PPS: Does it count as trolling or hijacking when I do it to my own thread which was created for silliness?

Top Bottom