Thoughts on the Strongest Leader in Warlords

Economically the cheap castles for Protective can help with the +1 trade route, probably only worth the effort in coastal cities.
But overall Protective is largely a passive warmonger trait.

Protective is very useful. I myself love having the free drill promotion for fog-busting archers, but I also need to try the drill clean-up crews. I can't wait to make wide-spread use of Protective Cho-ko-nus. That'll be great!

I'll reenter the Hannibal love-fest. He's a strong choice, even with the Financial nerfing.

I would say Numidians do well in the field with their basic promotion + a stable and a barracks: they can take Flanking 2 and Mobility and move through most terrain as if it were open. This flexibility and the fact that they're not overly weak against spears (except Phalanges) makes them a strong unit into the medieval era in a way horse archers - except perhaps Keshiks - don't have.

The Cothon's bonus trade route that's never made obsolete added to Hannibal's Financial trait is a powerful synergy.

I say Hannibal and Carthage are a top-tier civ.

Huyana Capac is by far the best warlord at deity level. This has a lot to do with the fanatistic unique unit and unique building. But the industrious (new) and financial pairing is ridiculously useful, especially (and perhaps surprisingly) for cultural victories. Financial gives large early-game tech boost, and small late-game cultural boost (when you start producing culture instead of commerce). And industrious is absolutely invaluable in obtaining those high culture wonders (stonehenge, parthenon, sistine chapel, notre dame, taj mahal, etc.), and an equally valuable health wonder (hanging gardens).

Chillaxation said:
I'll reenter the Hannibal love-fest. He's a strong choice, even with the Financial nerfing.

What did they do to Financial?

My only experience with Protective is with China, but it seems extremely powerful. Drill opens Shock and Cover, and Drill II opens Pinch so it opens useful promotions out of the gate. Cho-ko-nus are insanely fun to use, and a MC oracle brings them onto the field quickly. I usually prefer Mao to Qin, although Qin makes it easier to get the Oracle.

Top Bottom