Thread Of Italy šŸšŸ·šŸŒ¹

jsciv69

Prince
Italy
Breakout the provolone and the wine. There is no mistaking the love for Italian culture. The music, the art, the food. So now it's time to give Da Vinci and Michelangelo a proper home. Italy was a land of City-states. Then came unification in the mid-19th Century. This Civilization franchise has featured Civs for the English, Spanish, French, German, and Greek. So let's complete the set with Italian. And let's sip some wine, or some Strega. Listen to some Caruso. And construct Italy for Civ VII.
Special Buildings: Teatro Massimo(famous Opera House), University of Urbino, Barone Ricasoli(famous winery), La Pasta di Gragnano(famous pasta factory)

Options for Leader: Lorenzo de' Medici: Cosimo de' Medici: Francesco I Sforza: King Victor Emmanuel II:
Francesco Crispi

Last edited:
I think Italy should get a Bottega as their special building, which replaces the regular workshop. A bottega is the studio workshop of the master artist in which lesser artists or apprentices learn by participating in their work. It could produce a massive amounts of culture and progress towards Great People in addition to regular workshop bonuses.

I want to give an honorary mention to an Opera House, considering opera started in Italy. Though I would like that to be a building that any civ could build. Italy could unlock it earlier as a civ ability.

Last edited:
I think Italy should get a Bottega as their special building, which replaces the regular workshop. A bottega is the studio workshop of the master artist in which lesser artists or apprentices learn by participating in their work. It could produce a massive amounts of culture and progress towards Great People in addition to regular workshop bonuses.
This is exactly what I was coming here to suggest

I want to give an honorary mention to an Opera House, considering opera started in Italy. Though I would like that to be a building that any civ could build.
Nice.

Personally hereā€™s an idea I thought of -

Italy
Unique Bonus: Risorgionmento (donā€™t ask why I named it that but whatever) - Each city founded after the original counts as a city state with its own unique additional bonus. However other countries can levy the city state.
Unique Unit: Condotierri (replaces Knight) - Can only be built in the ā€œcity statesā€ Italy founds. +1 move, and +5 combat strength against units from the same era.
Unique Building: Bottega (replaces Workshop) +3 Great WAM (writer, artist, musician), +3 gold and +2 production if bordering a city center.

Leaders -
Enrico Dandolo (start place: Venice) - La Serinissma: Naval trade routes cost 2 less turns. Sacking a city gives 1.5x the bonus.
Savonarola :3 (start place: Florence) - Bonfire of the Vanities: Cannot gain Great Writers, Artists, or Musicians. Missionaries have a larger reach at spreading religions however. (I donā€™t know why I added him)

Iā€™m so sorry yā€™all

Italy
Unique Bonus: Risorgionmento (donā€™t ask why I named it that but whatever) - Each city founded after the original counts as a city state with its own unique additional bonus. However other countries can levy the city state.
Unique Unit: Condotierri (replaces Knight) - Can only be built in the ā€œcity statesā€ Italy founds. +1 move, and +5 combat strength against units from the same era.
Unique Building: Bottega (replaces Workshop) +3 Great WAM (writer, artist, musician), +3 gold and +2 production if bordering a city center.
Sounds kind of similar to my ideas that I have.
Savonarola :3 (start place: Florence) - Bonfire of the Vanities: Cannot gain Great Writers, Artists, or Musicians. Missionaries have a larger reach at spreading religions however. (I donā€™t know why I added him)
Isn't that just counterproductive to the unique building? :crazyeye:

I want to give an honorary mention to an Opera House, considering opera started in Italy. Though I would like that to be a building that any civ could build. Italy could unlock it earlier as a civ ability.
Of course each Civ should have it's own Opera House.But maybe Teatro Massimo could yield extra Toruism and Cultural bonuses.

Of course each Civ should have it's own Opera House.But maybe Teatro Massimo could yield extra Toruism and Cultural bonuses.
I'm hesitant to make unique buildings based off of one building as that sounds more similar to a World Wonder. I'd just go with the name Teatro and maybe base the in-game model off of the Teatro Massimo.
Then again, I'm fine with saving a unique opera house for Austria, or Argentina. :mischief:

Teatro works. Commedia dell'arte was a major influence on multiple performing arts.

Here's a rough draft of how I would've designed the different civs for the Italian peninsula:

Unique AbilityUnique InfrastructureUnique Unit
Rome (Western Roman Empire, possibly also the Papal States. Really, any significant polity founded in the Lazio region)Pax Romana (Bonus for having a large, continuous blob of Roman settlements)Forum (unique plaza that boosts adjacent infrastructure)Legion (unique infantry)
Italy (Kingdom of Sardinia-Piedmont/Republic of Genoa/North-western Italy in general)Monte di PietĆ  (Bonus for investing in local economies)Opera House (unique concert hall with extra music output)Garibaldi (unique infantry)
Venice (Venetian Republic)Marriage of the Sea (Bonus related to maritime dominance)Arsenal (unique armoury with emphasis on naval firepower)Buzo (unique galley)
Sicily (Kingdom of Sicily/Kingdom of Naples/Southern Italy in general)Magna Graecia (Bonus related to what best could represent multiculturalism in the game)Pizzeria (unique eatery that fill more bellies than the default eateries)Polacca (unique galley/gunship)
TuscanyHeart of the Renaissance (Science and/or Culture bonus most notable mid-game)Studio (unique workshop with extra art output)Condottiero (unique cavalry)

If these feel like inaccurate depictions, it may be because I've based them on me skimming through various wikipedia articles. The important part is that I feel the distinctions should be made through geography, not history

Five civilizations for *any* European country would be excessive, and limiting Italy to just Unification-Italy is simply a a misaimed overfocus on nineteenth century nationalist unification as when those entities came into being, same as with Germany. The notion of Italy can be traced as having a legal existence at least as far back as the High Middle Ages and the early Holy Roman Empire (where the two main constituent part of the empire were held to be the Kingdoms of Germany and Italy, and the Emperor was also King of Germany and King of Italy). Within a few century we see among Italian intelectuals the (very early!) rise of Italian proto-nationalism, not yet the nationalism of the nineteenth century, but certainly call to unite Italy and free it from the German Barbarians (Petrarch's "Italia Mia", Machiavelli's "Exhortation to Liberate Italy from the Barbarians"). While not everyone agreed on those nationalistic ideas, and the sentiments were nowhere near as widespread as they would be with nineteenth century politics, there seem to have been, in fact, a common idea that, like the Greek city-states, the Italian cities and duchies were all part of a greater whole.

So, much like Germany which should absolutely be held to include the German part of the Holy Roman Empire, Italy is a more than adequate civilization to cover at least the last thousand years of Italian history, with little need for more.

Except, perhaps, Venice whose Stato da Mar led its history in a very different direction from most of the rest of Italy, centered on the Eastern Mediterranean more than the Peninsula (though it messed with the peninsula too). But even that is no necessity.

Savonarola
Girolamo Savonarola was a religious fanatic. He had a deep hatred for the creative and legendary Art and Literature that helped make Italian Culture what it still is today. His infamous Bonfire of the Vanities was not much different than the Nazi's burning books. It's ironic that he was assigned to Florence by the one who would be more ideal to lead Italy in Civ VII. Lorenzo De' Medici was not only a staunch supporter of Italian arts, he was a sponsor of the likes of Botticelli and Michelangelo.

Girolamo Savonarola was a religious fanatic. He had a deep hatred for the creative and legendary Art and Literature that helped make Italian Culture what it still is today. His infamous Bonfire of the Vanities was not much different than the Nazi's burning books. It's ironic that he was assigned to Florence by the one who would be more ideal to lead Italy in Civ VII. Lorenzo De' Medici was not only a staunch supporter of Italian arts, he was a sponsor of the likes of Botticelli and Michelangelo.
Your honor I added him for horsehockys and giggles

Anyway, here's my idea that I made. (Some things are based off of a hypothetical Civ 6 expansion that I made). :)

Italy:
UA: Birthplace of the Renaissance- The Opera House building is unlocked at the Humanism civic instead of Opera and Ballet. Each city besides your capital receives a special bonus depending on the first type of specialty district it constructs. Cities whose first district is either a Campus or Encampment provides Universities and Armories with Great Engineer points. Cities whose first district is a Holy Site or Theater Square provides automatic theming for buildings that house a Great Work of Art. Temples provide a Religious Work of Art Slot. Cities whose first district is either a Commercial Hub or Harbor provide an extra trade route capacity with a Bank if you have a Shipyard as well.

UU: Genoese Crossbowmen (replaces Crossbowmen) - Must be purchased with gold. Other Allied civilizations may levy a unit from you for 30 turns. Gains extra combat strength when attacking cities.

UB: Bottega (replaces Workshop)- Acquires +1 more Great Engineer Points per Turn. Also gains Great Scientist, Writer, Artist, and Musician points per turn as well. +3 Culture and +2 Production.

Leaders:
Camillo Cavour (Capital Turin)
Agenda: Piedmont-Sardinia- Likes to interact with city-states through sending envoys or warfare. Dislikes civs that don't deal with city-states.
LA: Risorgimento- +5 Combat strength against city-states who have a different suzerain. Making peace with a city state provides 2 envoys to them, or making peace with a civilization provides an envoy to any city-states they are the suzerain of.

Cosimo de' Medici (Capital Florence)
Agenda: Medici Bank- Likes to acquire much gold and make purchases with them. Dislikes civs that do not engage in purchasing.
LA: Museo Nazionale- Great Works provide +2 gold. These amounts are doubled if they are themed.

Last edited:
Anyway, here's my idea that I made. (Some things are based off of a hypothetical Civ 6 expansion that I made). :)

Italy:
UA: Birthplace of the Renaissance- The Opera House building is unlocked at the Humanism civic instead of Opera and Ballet. Each city besides your capital receives a special bonus depending on the first type of specialty district it constructs. Cities whose first district is either a Campus or Encampment provides Universities and Armories with Great Engineer points. Cities whose first district is a Holy Site or Theater Square provides automatic theming for buildings that house a Great Work of Art. Temples provide a Religious Work of Art Slot. Cities whose first district is either a Commercial Hub or Harbor provide an extra trade route capacity with a Bank if you have a Shipyard as well.

UU: Genoese Crossbowmen (replaces Crossbowmen) - Must be purchased with gold. Other Allied civilizations may levy a unit from you for 30 turns. Gains extra combat strength when attacking cities.

UB: Bottega (replaces Workshop)- Acquires +1 more Great Engineer Points per Turn. Also gains Great Scientist, Writer, Artist, and Musician points per turn as well. +3 Culture and +2 Production.

Leaders:
Victor Emmanuel II (Capital Turin)
Agenda: Padre della Patria- Likes to interact with city-states through sending envoys or warfare. Dislikes civs that don't deal with city-states.
LA: Risorgimento- +5 Combat strength against city-states who have a different suzerain. Making peace with a city state provides 2 envoys to them, or making peace with a civilization provides an envoy to any city-states they are the suzerain of.

Cosimo de' Medici (Capital Florence)
Agenda: Medici Bank- Likes to acquire much gold and make purchases with them. Dislikes civs that do not engage in purchasing.
LA: Museo Nazionale- Great Works provide +2 gold. These amounts are doubled if they are themed.
IMG_1252.png

Leaders:
Victor Emmanuel II (Capital Turin)
Agenda: Padre della Patria- Likes to interact with city-states through sending envoys or warfare. Dislikes civs that don't deal with city-states
Was Victor Emmanuel really that pro-active of a ruler? Wouldn't you consider Cavour or Garibaldi better choices for a leader from that time period?

Was Victor Emmanuel really that pro-active of a ruler? Wouldn't you consider Cavour or Garibaldi better choices for a leader from that time period?
I think anyone of those three could work with the same ability. I just chose him because he was officially the king.

Decided to change it to Cavour because I think the ability fit him more. Risorgimento was the name of his newspaper.

Last edited:
Top Bottom