[Tides of Crimson] The Horde Rises

tomma

Chieftain
Tides of Crimson: The Horde Rises
"When the heavens darkens and the storm is coming, there will be no mercy. Let the tides of crimson rise from the womb of the mother sea and wash their sins away until a new morning."
Galaeron Farwynn, Elven bard (year 346 BD)

Mod: Tides of Crimson v1.5

Setup:
Large Map (Pangaea/Random)
Raging Barbarians
Civs: 16 (Random)

Player: Orcs
Difficulty: Sid

// Hi guys. After reading my fair share of the epic stories here, I'll also give it a shot.
Playing the superb mod Tides of Crimson, which I count as one of the best fantasy mod for Civ 3.

Last edited:
Year 1

"Is it finally over?" Drugha could not believe his eyes when he looked up to the blue sky. How long was it ago when he last saw such a quiet scenery?
The storm lasted only a few days. However it felt like a century. How many of his warbrothers and warsisters were swept away by those gigantic tides of unforgiving water?
The proud horde is no more, he thought bitterly when he looked behind to the remnant of what was left. Only thirty of the proud orcs still stand there, looking at him with resignation.
"We move out!" he shouted to them.

//Chose the Orcs. I start out in grassland. To the south a forest. Up in the north a mountain. However no resources in vicinity. Damn.

Last edited:
Year 1

"Chief, ehm, I think, ehm, maybe whe should....?" the young orc was fidgeting nervously while trying to relay his message.

"What? Just speak your charcoaled mind!" Drugha was annoyed by this coward. He couldn't believe that what stood before him was the new shaman of the tribe. How deep has the horde just fallen so that a mere novice had to lead them spiritually. He sighed and lowered his voice. "You are the shaman, Karguk. Speak with pride and confidence."

The youngling Karguk swallowed, then raised his voice. "My doll has found an abandoned stone mine in the north. Ehm, maybe we should move there? But, ehm, we don't have any stonemansons here, but maybe in the future we could....."

"Stones? Hm." Drugha was conflicted. They just settled down and his people were tired. But this stone mine would allow his tribe to build their huts more easily and more defendable. "You have done well. How far do we have to travel?"

// Explored the north. There is stone! Woohoo!

Last edited:
Year 1

The tribe moved along the river. There were some unsatisfied with the decision to move again but Drugha quickly squashed the murmuring behind him with his voice alone. "Quiet, you pathetic lot of sows!" They walked for days, for week, for months.
They moved slowly but steady towards their destination, but the discontent also increased over the time.

Suddenly there was a commotion from the back of the group. "What is it this time?" Drugha sighed when the trail once again stopped for no reason.

"Chief, Chief, Chief!" the scout he send east came back running enthusiastically. "There is chicken! A whole herd of them!"

// Now it's looking much better. My starting city can have stone (+bonus production) and chicken (+bonus food) in its range.

Year 1-5

The life in Orenii was hard but the tribe still perservered. With the abundance of food and stones, the little village soon increased its population and again the laughter of younglings could be heard throughout the village.
But Drugha was sceptical of these peaceful days. "How long will it last?" he thought bitterly and went back to sharpen his new stone axe. "What is the situation up north?" he asked the shaman Karguk.

This one formerly feeble and nervous youngling had developed pretty well. The recent years has sharpened Karguk senes and body. "There is still no news. The doll has still to find any new survivors of the storm."

"Good. Good." Drugha nodded. "At least, there is no danger lurking in the north."
He thought about the tribe current power. While they may fend of some wild animals, but the tribe lacked real warriors. But the new breeded generation of younglings gave him hope. "We will rise again."

// Taking a risk here by building settlers units instead of combat units. Reason is because of the difficulty level, I have to expand quickly as possible or else the land will be taken by the AI. They expand fast.

Year 6-10

Drugha sat in front of the Ramayanian envoy. Humans, he thought with disdain, if it was not for the good of the tribe, you would already be grilled on a stick! He coughed and tried to put on his best smile. "Let's negotiate, human."

//First encounter up in the north.
The Ramayanian give Farming/Mining/Pottery.
We give Masonry/Warrior Code/75 Gold.
Pretty good deal.

Year 11-20

The tribe was in turmoil. A squad of Beastmen just arrived from the western regions. Drugha cursed inwardly. The scouts were all out and just the elderly and the young were currently present in the village. If they were to attack....
"Let's hear what they want." he exclaimed finally and grabbed his axe.

// Second encounter in the west.
The Beastmen give Ceremonial Burial/180 gold.
We give Mining.
Sweet deal.

Year 11-20

The Beastmen settled near Orenii which enraged many of the young ones.
"Chief, let's attack them!" the oldest one of them, Urzog demanded.

But Drugha ignored them. It was simply not the time for it. In his last encounter he witnessed their power. These younglings would not even last a second against them. "We will wait." he finally said.

"Are you afraid?" Urzog spitted out in front of them to the shock of the rest of the group. Some of the younger ones even take their distance to Urzog.

Drugha sighed. Was he getting too soft in the recent years? "So you want the position of the tribe's chief?" he asked mockingly "Then let's go to the training grounds."

"Please chief. I didn't meant that...." Urzog tried to back down but Drugha did not listen while he dragged him out to the fields.

A half dead beaten youngling would later set an example for the others.

// To the west are already two Beastmen cities.
This border will be dangerous.
They are one of the strongest civs.
I will try to maintain peace.

"It's finished." The Orcs work squad proudly proclaimed. Before them stand it, majestically dominating the scenery of the whole village. What a masterpiece it was! The gigantic tusks of the war mammoths, the tough leather of the dark sows, circling around the wide plains of the farm. "Finally. We won't starve anymore. Our brethens will grow strong and healthy. The horde will again rise!" all the other gathered around and join in the shouts of joy.

// The pig farm. Only half of the city food storage is depleted when growing. Powerful because in ToC every citizen counts.

The years passed by. Under Drughas leadership the tribe flourished and it was time to expand their influence.

"Where should we settle our outpost?" his shaman asked the aging orc leader. "To the north we discovered some nice dyes. These humans really liked to colour the clothing. We can surely trade it to them."

Drugha shaked his head in disagreement. "No. Let them go west. We need better wood to reinforce our axes."

"But this is the territory of the Beastman, chief. Its dangerous to upset them." Karguk interjected. "Also the bare plains there do not provide enough food for our younglings."

"Enough! Just do what I say!" Drugha cut off any further discussion with a roar. But he quickly calmed down. "Let them collect the wood first. We can always harvest these dyes later."

"But what if they are taken?" Karguk asked.

"Then we just take it with force." Drugha smiled deviously. "With axes we can do that. With colourful clothing not. Don't you agree?"

// There was basically two potential points to settle on. Northwest with wood and horses (not needed). North with dyes. I decided to first go for the one because the Beastmen were nearby and would have taken the spot otherwise. Also the wood resource will give the needed additional production early on. Luckily the other spot with the dyes was not taken later on.

Last edited:
I just saw this. very interesting story! I like your characters! =) what happened next?? =)

Top Bottom