Tiltless Tectonics

RefSteel

Pacifistic Technologist
This is a very simple hack of the Tectonics mapscript to simulate a planet with no axial tilt: The most-arid part of the world will be at the equator for most map options. When I say it's dead simple: It's a one-line edit to make the script treat latitudes 0-90 as though they were the latitudes from 15 to 90 stretched over the same area ... and that's it! (Plus two lines of comments added at the top identifying what this is.) I hope it's useful!

Attachments

• Tiltless.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 7
And here's a version with a slightly less simple hack, adding two options to the setup screen: Grassland extension can be used to increase the proportion of grassland on the map and/or "remove the axial tilt" as the initial version does. I hope this proves useful to someone!

Attachments

• Tiltless v2.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 3
A few screen shots, please 🙂
Sorry it took me so long to see this! First of all, I've attached my latest version of the script to this post, adding an option to increase the mountainousness of the map as well so the setup screen for the new version looks like this:

tlssetup.jpg

And depending on the various options you choose, you can get a wide range of results; for instance, I chose a Tiny map with Lakes (30% water) for Landmass Type, Normal for Aridity, Emphasized for the Enhanced Mountains option, Slight for Extended Grassland, and None for Axial Tilt, and got a map whose equatorial band includes regions like this:

T30NEmSl.jpg

(Note the minimap in the corner howing the full map as well.)

Attachments

• Tiltless v3.zip
    11.9 KB · Views: 1
Top Bottom