Tips for King please!

Pick the two that you feel you just have to have and if you keep them in mind as you choose tech or build order, you will get them. (Except great library. Forget the great library. Forget it completely.).

I disagree. On King, I think I can comfortably get the GL every time if I want to, without feeling like I really had to sacrifice much to get it, unless I was set on getting the Hanging Gardens or Petra, because they require teching too far in the other direction.

If you have Philosophy unlocked by the time the GL is built then it really is very strong in the early game, so I often go for it on King unless I'm specifically aiming to rush something else.

By Emperor it drops to about 50/50, so it's probably not worth trying unless you have a production-heavy start, and then by Immortal it's maybe 20% - basically never worth even trying. Let's not mention Deity.

That said, the Temple of Artemis is probably the best science wonder in the game longer term (actually, arguably just the best wonder full stop). The AI doesn't seem to like it much, so it's often still available for quite a while, but nevertheless getting both that and the GL on King is far from guaranteed, so it's a hard choice to make.

My problem with the GL is that is stunts your civ growth to get it. When you could be focusing on getting your 4 cities going, you waste a lot of turns on the GL. If you wait pretty late to make it, then you spent a lot of time without your NC. I'm not really sure how useful that GL is.

You'll get to Universities earlier with it, but you'll get to public schools at the same time regardless, and slowly falling a tad behind from there on out. In the end, it may be equal, but I'm not sure equal is worth doing as there is possibilities of failure with that strat.

I disagree. On King, I think I can comfortably get the GL every time if I want to, without feeling like I really had to sacrifice much to get it, unless I was set on getting the Hanging Gardens or Petra, because they require teching too far in the other direction.

If you have Philosophy unlocked by the time the GL is built then it really is very strong in the early game, so I often go for it on King unless I'm specifically aiming to rush something else.
It's still a good idea to not build the GL though, because it just makes you develop bad habits doesn't help you understand how a good start feels on higher difficulties. If you go for strategies that don't work on on harder settings, you have to basically relearn much of the game every time you go up a difficulty.

Top Bottom