Tired of Getting Nuked - Help!!

StormSurge

Chieftain
I play online with three friends of varying degrees of skill. All four of us are pretty much at the same level after a few weeks of playing. We usually play teams.

The past two times we've played, I've put myself in good position to win any kind of victory. However, before I've had a chance to build the Manhattan Project or get to SDI, I've been nuked & wiped out a few turns later.

It's extremely frustrating to put that much time into a game, building everything to a point where culture is high, science is higher & production can increase to high levels with a switch in productions settings. All to have it come crashing down & exit without putting up a fight.

Aside from focusing solely on getting Atomic Power & building the MP first, what strategies would you recommend I try the next time I play? (Civ to choose, etc.)

Thanks.

Getting University and rush the Oxford University wonder and hope for Superconductor or Nuclear Power. You will force the others to research those techs themselves in the end and that might buy you some time.

You can always try to determine where you can send a caravan and get good money. Overseas cities (mostly island cities) are very good targets for that. Switch to communism and build a lot of caravan trains in that city (and others that will generate a lot of cash), load them on a battleship fleet and bring them to that city. You can get to 20k gold in one single turn. For every economic threshold you pass, you'll need a turn! So if you have 3000, you need a turn to get 5000 gold reward. The turn after that you'll get the 10000 gold reward and the turn after that enables the world bank. Have three cities rush-build Hollywood or another big wonder. A nuke won't make a difference anymore. The nuked city loses its production, while one city will get the wonder and you can switch the other to world bank. Use random island cities to rush the wonders to make sure you won't be surprised and you'll be home free.

If you are in a position to win any type of victory, you should pick one and go for it. Having secondary plans is of course something you should have, but a focus is also very important. Waiting for impending doom is not a good idea.

Betting all on "one horse" is not a good idea either. Loosing one city shouldn't matter too much in the overall picture, not when you are in a good position to win multiple victories. In the end it's "only" one city that can fall due to the bomb, so if you are in a good position to win, then you should still be able to get another kind of win.

To my knowledge it's only tech victory that you can loose due to missing your capitol. (domination too, but if you have all but one capitol already you should have no problem getting a nuked capital back). Of course it will be harder with the reduced amount of gold/culture/money but if you are leading then you should still be able to win by focusing on a win.

Well if you are going for the cultural victory your capitol is probably generating the most culture so getting that knocked out could be pretty devastating. I would say a good defense against that would be taking spies to the city and stop the production if you can. Of course taking over that city militarily would work as well. Remember the tip of making a spy ring first and a 2nd or 3rd separate spy , attacking with your spy ring then leaving quitely and then using your single spies to do the dirty work...might as well steal a GP while your there!

The other simple solution is to build SDI defense in the key cities of yours, especially the capitol.

I agree, rush to build oxford univerisite(sp) so you might be able to luck out and avoid any kind of nuclear war between any other civ's.

your best bet is indeed using caravans and getting as much gold as possible so that you can buy the knowlegde if need be. and while your at it make a few spy rings and steal some great people, great builders, and scienist. that would help you progress your civ alot faster.

This is a very great tactic i use. it always gets the nuke

early in the game if u get a great builder DO NOT activate him. he will be used to finish the mannhatan project. later in the game rescearch electricity then atomic theory then start building the manhattan project. use your great builder to finish it then u have a nuke

hope i could help

If you play as the Romans by the time you get to the MP you have half price wonders.

Use the romans in order to get half-price wonders so that when you get the MP, you only need 375 resources.
Next, switch to communism.
Then, build the MP.

oooor...
Rush Oxford University and hope you get Superconductor and build and SDI defense. If not, then make sure that while going for your choice victory, you get good science production and if you did well, you would get superconductor first and then you build an SDI defense n your key cities, and there.

Top Bottom